Nationals / MN States / Rosemount Invitational?

Days Inn Bloomington West
7851 Normandale Blvd
Bloomington, MN
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Re: Nationals / MN States / Rosemount Invitational?

Post by imrahil327 »

Yeah, we can probably do a travel voucher. The v-card shouldn't be a problem.

Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Can we move this thread to the correct US Nationals June 8-10 board?
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Jeeps wrote:Can we move this thread to the correct US Nationals June 8-10 board?
NEVER!
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

imrahil327 wrote:
Jeeps wrote:Can we move this thread to the correct US Nationals June 8-10 board?
NEVER!

Walsetmd
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Walsetmd »

Uh... Was kinda hoping this wouldn't make it to a more public forum yet until we were ready (Thanks Jeeps! :?? ) and hashed out all the fine details. Maybe change the title to "Nationals a Work in Progress." ;)

Still waiting to hear from Deadbody on the Hotels.
Walseth Top 8 (2015)
RMS FTW MN FTW Bespin FTW

The Honky Tonk Man

Post by The Honky Tonk Man »

Washington Outsider Opinion - Can't you guys run this tournament at the school?

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

The Honky Tonk Man wrote:Washington Outsider Opinion - Can't you guys run this tournament at the school?
It is/was being considered, but there are complications about using schools for outside events.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

It's usually not a problem to use school space in these types of events if the event is for kids or community members. Setting a precedent for anyone to use it would probably open up a can o' worms of liability and supervision.
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

Jeeps wrote:It's usually not a problem to use school space in these types of events if the event is for kids or community members. Setting a precedent for anyone to use it would probably open up a can o' worms of liability and supervision.
plus theres some of us who cant come within 500 feet of a school.......
Jerry H

Image Image

Walsetmd

Post by Walsetmd »

The Honky Tonk Man wrote:Washington Outsider Opinion - Can't you guys run this tournament at the school?
I have looked into this. And it's a DEFINITE possibility. I just need to take 1 more step and it's ours. Before I make this move I would like to hear Deadbody's report on the hotel situation. If we can get a nice room, close to the MOA I think that would help increase the draw for people out of state. That way they don't need to worry about rides to an alternate location, plus it will be close to the Mall of America which is a draw.

Right now we're holding our next move until we hear about the hotels.

But I'll take your post as your way of saying you're in no matter where it's at. :-D Right?

Walseth
Walseth Top 8 (2015)
RMS FTW MN FTW Bespin FTW

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

Walsetmd wrote:
I have looked into this. And it's a DEFINITE possibility. I just need to take 1 more step and it's ours. Before I make this move I would like to hear Deadbody's report on the hotel situation. If we can get a nice room, close to the MOA I think that would help increase the draw for people out of state. That way they don't need to worry about rides to an alternate location, plus it will be close to the Mall of America which is a draw.

Right now we're holding our next move until we hear about the hotels.

But I'll take your post as your way of saying you're in no matter where it's at. :-D Right?

Walseth
My preference would be to hold it where the most Rosemount players will be. If that is at the School, then that is where I would want to host it. I will always cater to our in town people. I cannot fathom anyone being willing to come to MN and play and not come if it is not in a hotel.

However I will wait to hear from the people who have pretty much confirmed that they are coming. Would you guys be bothered if it was in a school and all the entry fees went to prize support and supporting RMS without the PC having to pay for a hotel room?

Garrett
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Eh. National card tournaments need to played at a card shop or hotel. Otherwise, let's scrap it and hold a local at a high school cafeteria. Let's put a little dignity to our nerd hobby.
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

agnos

Post by agnos »

Jeeps wrote:Eh. National card tournaments need to played at a card shop or hotel. Otherwise, let's scrap it and hold a local at a high school cafeteria. Let's put a little dignity to our nerd hobby.
nerd hobbies have dignity?

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Jeeps wrote:Eh. National card tournaments need to played at a card shop or hotel. Otherwise, let's scrap it and hold a local at a high school cafeteria. Let's put a little dignity to our nerd hobby.
I tend to agree. Having the Rosemount Open portion at Rosemount is one thing, but Nationals shouldn't be (in my opinion).
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

Throdo

Post by Throdo »

I am interested in attending, and I definitely wouldn't mind it being at a school.

fallensith
Anthology
Anthology

Post by fallensith »

If I'm not working I would attend. Doesn't matter where. If I were you I would hold it where it is most convienent to the majority of players.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

I have a very low probability of coming.
Nevertheless I will say that:
holding it at a card shop decreases my liklihood of attending.
holding it at a hotel is equal to a school.

For what it is worth, West Nations 2010 (aka the best swccg event ever) was held at a truck stop and it was fabulous.
Well, Bye.

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

x2. We can have a rosemount tournament at the school at any time.
Thanks!

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

MAVanDriel wrote:
I have a very low probability of coming.
Nevertheless I will say that:
holding it at a card shop decreases my liklihood of attending.
holding it at a hotel is equal to a school.

For what it is worth, West Nations 2010 (aka the best swccg event ever) was held at a truck stop and it was fabulous.
Well, we haven't tried a Highway Rest stop yet...

Card shops (more specifically, card shops with gaming areas) are the BEST venue for card games because:
A) card sleeves and other card accessories can be found quickly if needed
B) Card games can be found, purchased and played quickly if need
C) People at card shops and the owner/manager are understanding to the needs of the patrons unlike a hotel manger or hotel patron that will tend to stand in stupified disbelief or harsh judgement of such an event
D) Supporting the brick and mortar stores is highly important in today's economy. Without them, we'd wouldn't be playing SWCCG or any other CCG.
E) people watching is better at a card shop.
F) Jesus loves card stores.

FYI- Legion Games (formerly Misty Mountain Games) has the space to accommodate 250+ people, unlike Twin City Comics. It's also directly adjacent to a nice Pub/Bar/Grill as well as many other fine dining establishments like McDonalds, Famous Daves, Wendy's, etc. Just pointing this out if people begin to think their expectations of a repeat of Worlds 2008 will be... uh, repeated.

Look, I understand our game isn't directly supporting local economies, but I still like to think the Players Committee and its efforts would be taken seriously enough to make our events (National, international, or even Regional) respectable by promoting them in a place that will provide the most interest and representation.

Again, I will gladly put down $50 to help defer the cost of hosting this event at a Hotel rather than a school because I think a hotel would offer more amenities than RMS (Although I am sure their lavatories are esqusite!) due to being in a commercial rather than a residential location.
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Jeeps wrote:

Card shops (more specifically, card shops with gaming areas) are the BEST venue for card games because:
A) card sleeves and other card accessories can be found quickly if needed
B) Card games can be found, purchased and played quickly if need
C) People at card shops and the owner/manager are understanding to the needs of the patrons unlike a hotel manger or hotel patron that will tend to stand in stupified disbelief or harsh judgement of such an event
D) Supporting the brick and mortar stores is highly important in today's economy. Without them, we'd wouldn't be playing SWCCG or any other CCG.
E) people watching is better at a card shop.
F) Jesus loves card stores.
I'm all for helping to support card stores, but there are issues with a blanket statement like that. I for one consider hotels a far superior venue to card stores for a number of reasons. In fact of all the reasons you posted, the only one I agree with is the first one (availability of sleeves). There are almost no card stores that actually sell SWCCG and how many other times do people buy other games to play at events? It's common to see people bring their Dominion or whatever set to a hotel event and play that.

While people at card shops might be more understanding of players' needs, hotel managers are almost always more accomodating. You are paying these people a lot of money to provide you a service and hospitality is their business. They provide with A/V equipment if you need it, power outlets for your laptop, etc, and even free water which card shops rarely give you. Additionally, there is usually more space, nicer facilities, and more (and better) restrooms.

I agree that supporting brick and mortar stores is important but saying that we wouldnt be playing games without them in 2012 is ridiculous. They make a fraction of the profit off of us that they'd make off of people playing a game still in print. If Magic suddenly decided to do all their events in hotels that would be an issue, but to say that we would really support them when they dont even sell our game isn't true.

People watching is actually better at hotels as there is more room for spectators. If you're talking about randoms watching the game at a store and deciding to get involved, I don't know of that ever happening, at least not in the past 5 years. Additionally, hotels let out-of-towners sleep and play in the same place. An event like Nationals should be an event that tries to draw from out of town. It seems like nobody is expecting anyone to really travel for this event.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Return to “US Nationals - June 8-10”