Nationals / MN States / Rosemount Invitational?

Days Inn Bloomington West
7851 Normandale Blvd
Bloomington, MN
brady1194
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Re: Nationals / MN States / Rosemount Invitational?

Post by brady1194 »

tvas27 wrote:Whoa, so this is the forums. I think I've been here before...

I didn't see anyone mention Misty Mountain games in Burnsville. Their old location had a ton of room, and I'm guessing their new location does also. Plus it's not too far off I35.

Mark I will provide cards if you & the crew need. I'm probably, uh, lets say transitioning, out of the game in the near future, so I'm sure I can find a few good cards for your crew. At the very least a bunch to loan out.

Dates are open for me as of now.
Misty Mountain closed down. Legion Games on the Shakopee (Savage?) / Burnsville border is the closest spot (like, 10 min from where MM was). They have a nice setup and lots of space, but we can lose our spot if they have a big Magic event.

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

brady1194 wrote:Mark's event is somewhat getting lost in the shuffle here, but I don't really see a good way to sneak it in with Nationals being here.
Mark mentioned having it the Friday of Nationals weekend, and I think that's a good idea.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Yeah, Friday night of Nationals would be perfect.

And.

HI TVAS! Wow... there's presence I have not felt since....
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Walsetmd
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Walsetmd »

Great job people, all of the input is useful. I think the thing to remember is no matter what days we go with, there will be people who can't make it and left out. If this ends up being you, please know we tried our best and apologize.

If my first priority is to get the most people from outside the area to attend the Rosemount Invitational ("RI"), I find The Smoking Gungan's post to be the most logical about days. After that, my thought is, the more people who come to Nationals, the more people who will come to the RI.

It sounds like a vast majority of you can make a National Tournament that is June 8th - 10th. One slight hiccup. I have school the 8th. Now I can still make this work if the schedule is, Day 1 of Nationals on Friday, Day 2 Saturday, and I host the RI on Sunday. Yes, I'm super bummed I would miss Nationals, but I'm more than happy to make that sacrifice if it means a more successful RI. Which I think it would. I think after playing a serious event like Nationals, players would be more likely to attend a "Charity" event for "fun." Some of you may think just host the RI at a later time on Friday night. I have some concerns if we go this route such as, I would really like to host it here in my school (hence the name of the tournament :)) and that might be a problem. Also I'm a little nervous that having it on Friday night might decrease the attendance compared to a more laid back Sunday. I guess if push comes to shove I would look into this option, but for the time being can we focus on...

June 8th - Day 1 Nationals
June 9th - Day 2 Nationals
June 10th - RI

My only concern is this...

"Will having Day 1 Nationals on Friday decrease Nationals attendance?"
(Example: Getting work off)

Please post thoughts below.
Last edited by Walsetmd on January 4th, 2012, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walseth Top 8 (2015)
RMS FTW MN FTW Bespin FTW

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

Walsetmd wrote: "Will having Day 1 Nationals on Friday decrease Nationals attendance?"
probably.

what about something like

friday: random fun event like team or sealed that evening
saturday: nationals day 1 (open to everyone. basically everyone playing on saturday would be playing in nats)
sunday: top 4 from nationals AND rosemount invitational held simultaneously (so everyone other than the top 4 are playing in the RI)

Walsetmd

Post by Walsetmd »

The Smoking Gungan wrote:what about something like

saturday: nationals day 1 (open to everyone. basically everyone playing on saturday would be playing in nats)
sunday: top 4 from nationals AND rosemount invitational held simultaneously (so everyone other than the top 4 are playing in the RI)
Amazing... No wonder you win so many tournaments with that type of outta the box thinking!

I think this is a GREAT idea. Anyone else?
Walseth Top 8 (2015)

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

what is the possibility of hosting the whole shebang in like a school cafeteria or something? The space and tables would be there. Along with soda vending machines.

Just spit balling here.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Walsetmd wrote:
The Smoking Gungan wrote:what about something like

Amazing... No wonder you win so many tournaments with that type of outta the box thinking!

I think this is a GREAT idea. Anyone else?
Yeah it does sound good. Friday night could also be a Twins game for those that are interested in that (7:10 vs. the Cubs), assuming we're still talking about June 8-10?
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

This was last year's schedule in Vegas:

Friday Night: A sealed event with very low entry fee. I know Sealed isn't everyone's favorite format, but it is something that players walking by can jump in on and can relate to if they've played before, without having to have decks of their own.

Saturday: Nationals- 6-8 games of swiss, depending on attendance. Cut will be to 4, which will take place either immediately following or the next day- I'm not sure which is better, open to suggestions.

Sunday: Cube event. This will be something that will allow players new and old to play with some better cards than sealed. I acknowledge that people don't want to play a million games with the same mediocre cards, so my plan is: Divide people up evenly (we will have 2 cubes just in case), Draft one side, play 2 games, then draft the other side and play 2 games.

Now, I like the idea of running something on the Sunday, June 10th to coordinate with Rosemount... Saturday and Sunday would be great days for a Day 1 and championship.
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

puck71 wrote:Yeah it does sound good. Friday night could also be a Twins game for those that are interested in that (7:10 vs. the Cubs), assuming we're still talking about June 8-10?
i'm totally down for the twins game. maybe try and run two 4-game events on friday then? early event starts sometime between noon and two and goes for 4 games (or more if you start closer to the noon time). evening event starts sometime between 5 and 7 and goes 'til late while those wanting to see the twins head off to that. two events also gives you the ability to run two different formats, be it cube, sealed, team, or swiss

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

The Smoking Gungan wrote:friday: random fun event like team or sealed that evening
deadbody wrote:what is the possibility of hosting the whole shebang in like a school cafeteria or something? The space and tables would be there. Along with soda vending machines.
Make this so!

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Hmmm. I am not sure a school would work, honestly- a lot of schools would need us to go through community education or some district channels to let "outsiders" use the facility. If a staff member in the district can organize it and supervise it, I am sure it would be okay... but if it gets to be a larger number, then I am sure the district would be concerned from a cleanup and supervision standpoint. I'd be much more in favor of using a hotel over a school for the reasons I illustrated.
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

Jeeps wrote:Hmmm. I am not sure a school would work, honestly- a lot of schools would need us to go through community education or some district channels to let "outsiders" use the facility. If a staff member in the district can organize it and supervise it, I am sure it would be okay... but if it gets to be a larger number, then I am sure the district would be concerned from a cleanup and supervision standpoint. I'd be much more in favor of using a hotel over a school for the reasons I illustrated.
Then let's make Brian's suggestion happen
Thanks!

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

There have been so many overlapping suggestions, I am a bit confused as to what one you're referring to...
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

I NOMINATE THIS

:rainbowafro: :smilecolros:

JUNE 8th - 10th:

The Smoking Gungan wrote:friday: random fun event like team or sealed that evening

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

LOL, this thread got Cooleo'd.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Walsetmd

Post by Walsetmd »

Alright...

Let's tentatively say...
June 9th - Day 1 Nationals
June 10th - Day 2 Nationals / RI

My vote is we give it till the end of this weekend to let anyone say this is a bad idea, and if there is no or little resistance let's put it in "stone." If these days are in conflict with your schedule, SPEAK NOW! Or forever hold your peace.

The next issue is location. If the main priority is to get as high as a turnout as possible, the concept of a hotel conference room is the best idea. The convenience of out of state travelers and possible local (next to the MOA), makes this the optimum solution in my opinion. Now without a doubt it also has its downfalls as well. Mainly $$$, and then more important to me would be my desire to hold the RI in Rosemount. Idea #1: All 3 (Day 1, Day 2, and RI) are held in a hotel.

There is the possibility I could secure a Saturday, and Sunday here in Rosemount in my building. This idea is good because there is no cost, and I really want the RI to have a "home" type feeling, especially for all my new players. Idea #2: All 3 are held here in Rosemount (15 min from MOA)

What about a split? Hold Day 1 in the hotel and Day 2 in Rosemount? We would still need to cover the cost of the room for 1 day, but would get to hold the RI in Rosemount. Still the lingering problem of getting out of state travelers to the RI. When promoting Nationals I think I would stress how DAY 1 is in the hotel, and playoff the minor detail of Day 2 and RI in Rosemount. I have a good feeling we could organize a mass carpool system with the number of people in MN. Idea #3: Day 1 Hotel, Day 2 and RI in Rosemount.

For sure this is a tough decision for me. I think all 3 ideas have strengths. I guess if I'm forced to choose I'm leaning towards #3. I guess my thought process is, the people who aren't willing to travel for Day 2, aren't going to travel to MN anyway. Right? I don't know...

Thoughts?
Walseth Top 8 (2015)

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Can I probably say that renting a room from a hotel near the MOA would be a bad idea due to costs... but something like a hotel in the outskirts like Rosemount?

This is coming together fellas... thanks for the push, Mark!
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

I think a hotel near MOA and the airport would be best but what are the costs and are the costs worth it or not. You can take the Light Rail to the cities, airport, and Mall Of America. So it costs you $1 (for 2 hours) to go anywhere a out of stater would want to go. That is huge.

Also I think Sunday at Rosemount would be fine. I know Garrett, Mark, and I would have to drive by the MOA area to get to Rosemount.
Thanks!

Return to “US Nationals - June 8-10”