Nationals / MN States / Rosemount Invitational?

Days Inn Bloomington West
7851 Normandale Blvd
Bloomington, MN
Jeeps

Re: Nationals / MN States / Rosemount Invitational?

Post by Jeeps »

"my sweet summer child".... damn, that's funny.

Yeah, Cooleo and I were able to find affordable tickets to Vegas... I think mine were $315 without tax...

Good luck, Chris! I hope you can find something more affordable... once you do, we'll find a place for you to stay...

I would be in favor of keeping this hotel idea open a while longer for the draw... I bet we can get more than 12 people this year :)

Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Walsetmd
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Walsetmd »

jimli wrote:
Walsetmd wrote:When promoting Nationals I think I would stress how DAY 1 is in the hotel, and playoff the minor detail of Day 2 and RI in Rosemount.
I have no dog in the fight, but please don't do this. Whatever you guys decide on, be upfront about it. *If* out of towners fly in, (and honestly I have my doubts about how many would) people absolutely will be upset if they were lead to believe the entire event was at a hotel and then it turns out they have to drive to a school for day 2.
Thanks Jim for pointing this sentence out. Allow me to rephrase. I agree, I may have chosen my words poorly perhaps? But hopefully if you look at the rest of the post or have a little faith that obviously it would be publicly announced where all locations would be from the beginning (or as you stated "upfront"): I would like to think I was just trying to say, "hopefully people won't mind that detail." Just as I'm sure you were looking out for the community with your post.

At any rate, the point was to ask which option the public felt would be the best option. Sounds like most of you are leaning towards Option #1: All 3 (Day 1, Day 2, and RI) are held in a hotel. Which like I said, has the best opportunity to draw in outsiders. Sounds good to me.

Before we commit to a hotel though, I have one more idea I'm looking into. I should have some details by the end of next week.

Walseth
Walseth Top 8 (2015)
RMS FTW MN FTW Bespin FTW

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

I just spent the day at the Mall of America. What if we tried to rent a space there?
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Jeeps wrote:I just spent the day at the Mall of America. What if we tried to rent a space there?
I don't think they have conference space actually at the mall, do they? At least not until they finish the adjoining hotel/conference center, if that ever happens.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

puck71 wrote:
Jeeps wrote:I just spent the day at the Mall of America. What if we tried to rent a space there?
I don't think they have conference space actually at the mall, do they? At least not until they finish the adjoining hotel/conference center, if that ever happens.
Actually, I dj'd a prom there in The Great Room which is adjacent to the amusement park.... I am sure it's hella-spendy... Just a thought... I can look into it.
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

puck71

Post by puck71 »

Yeah I guess there's that room. It would be a cool location. It's at least worth getting a price.
John Anderson

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

puck71 wrote:Yeah I guess there's that room. It would be a cool location. It's at least worth getting a price.
Also, there are many interior rooms we don't see that would work too... the MOA is a large cavernous place... We Eloi don't see where the Morlocks live...
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Lukes Bionic Hand
Retired Advocate
Location: A realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it

Post by Lukes Bionic Hand »

The Smoking Gungan wrote:worf plays for canada even though that team has no honor and plays dirty
Image Image

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Lukes Bionic Hand wrote:Image
I just started watching this show with my wife (first season DVD almost done) and I loved this episode... so much of it touches VERY close to home...
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

I find that's true of that show pretty often.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Walsetmd

Post by Walsetmd »

What can I say Peter, great minds think alike. My school used to have a field trip to the Mall and listen to a presentation on marketing. I was thinking we could use that room to hold Nationals. I just finished conversing with the Mall and I sadly have bad news. They want $4,000 ($2,000 per day) for Noon - 7:00PM. Unless the PC is willing to cover this, I'm going to have to say this is not an option.
Deadbody wrote:Pricing hotel conference rooms. Puts us at about $150/day for the room.
$300... I'm so torn. I know that this has the best chance of drawing in out of state people. Best case scenario is that there is now major interest and many people come. What number do you think this is? 20? 30 people from out of state? Worst case I think would be 10 Rosemount Players, 7 Regional Players, and Less than 5 Out of State Players.

If we hold it here in Rosemount, there is a chance less than 5 out of state people will come to Nationals. But I can personally garuntee I'll have a minimum of 25 Rosemount Players there and possibly up to 40. I think the worst case scenario if we hold it in Rosemount would be 25 Rosemount Players, 7 Regional Players, and 0 Out of State Players.

Deadbody - Which Hotel are you pricing at $300? Are you willing to book the hotel, host Day 1 and 2, setup tables early and TDing?
PC - Are you willing to send Deadbody full or partial reimbursement for the Hotel if he sets it up?

I would like to see the responses to the above 2 questions before I give my final vote, but If these questions can be worked out, I think the hotel may be our best option. Please feel free to disagree with me, cause I would love to see this thing in Rosemount. I will try my hardest to get every single Rosemount player out to the hotel, but I know we will lose a % of our new player based on the fact it's in a hotel.

Thanks,
Walseth
Walseth Top 8 (2015)

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Walsetmd wrote:
PC - Are you willing to send Deadbody full or partial reimbursement for the Hotel if he sets it up?
Yes.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

I picked a hotel
Thanks!

puck71

Post by puck71 »

cooleo1c wrote:I picked a hotel
I don't think we want the kind that charges by the hour.
John Anderson

agnos

Post by agnos »

Honestly, having or not having it at a VFW doesn't affect my attending at all. As long as it isn't a *, I don't think anyone would care. So if there would be more players one way I'd vote for that. For me it's more about money and timing. That said, IDK yet when my summer break will be so I have no clue whether or not I'll be able to go.

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

I expect I'll run this unless someone else really wants to. Are we just punting on a Friday event? If the kids have school that means we aren't starting until later and I know a lot of people have talked twins game instead of like a team tournament ot something.

Cool to hear that the PC will help with funding. I'm still intrigued with the Rosemount idea. I know this was at a hotel in Bloomington by the mall. Like a days in or something. Is there a hotel in Rosemount that would work mark?

I'll certainly price it and getting 10 extra players a day makes the idea sound good to me.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Yeah, for an event of this size, you guys should do what is best for your attendance, and if people like me can make it, awesome.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

I can help run the event, Garrett. As long as I can play a few games with guys at some point, I will be content. Let's try to keep this event at a hotel and run more locals for Rosemount kids to come to...
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Walsetmd

Post by Walsetmd »

imrahil327 wrote:
Walsetmd wrote:
Yes.
Excellent, from this point on I'll let the 2 of you negotiate whatever the amount will be.

Next is still the Hotel question.
cooleo1c wrote:I picked a hotel
Ok, name, location, price???
deadbody wrote: I know this was at a hotel in Bloomington by the mall. Like a Days Inn or something. Is there a hotel in Rosemount that would work mark?
Deadbody, do we need to check the room out before we commit? Like for spacing, tables and chairs and such?

I would like to know once we're committed on a hotel (booked it) and have an address. The sooner we do that the sooner we can start publicly announcing the tournament. If you haven't done so I think a Hotel CLOSEST to the Mall of America is the best bet. Something the Light Rail can help us out (airport to mall). A hotel by the Mall will draw the most people.

Imrahil - Thanks for convincing the PC to help donate for the room. Also, I hate to ask, but is it possible to get some type of Cash Prize for the Tournament (Nationals and all?). Something like a $500 first place prize? Then we can use the entry fees, for a 2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th cash prize? I ask, so that I can advertise that as a way to draw in outside state players. Lastly if you could talk to the PC see if they can donate a V-Card to the National winner and Rosemount Charity Open (RCO) I know we would really appreciate that. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Walseth
Walseth Top 8 (2015)

puck71

Post by puck71 »

I don't think there have been cash prizes for nationals, at least not in the recent past. Last year I got a "travel voucher" for Worlds. I'm not sure what the plan is this year. Maybe a travel voucher toward Worlds or Continentals?
John Anderson

Return to “US Nationals - June 8-10”