Event Details

Days Inn Bloomington West
7851 Normandale Blvd
Bloomington, MN
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Re: Event Details

Post by imrahil327 »

I don't know if the MN TOs are kicking in more, but the PC is providing travel vouchers roughly equivalent to those given out at Nationals events in the past (I think last year was $125/$75/$50/$50.)

Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Walsetmd
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Walsetmd »

imrahil327 wrote:I don't know if the MN TOs are kicking in more, but the PC is providing travel vouchers roughly equivalent to those given out at Nationals events in the past (I think last year was $125/$75/$50/$50.)
Chris - This means there is a $300 Travel Voucher ($125 + $75 + $50 + $50) for first place correct? We're only helping the winner get to Worlds right? I could be wrong but that makes sense to me more then dividing the travel voucher by place.

Thanks again for the donation,
Walseth
Walseth Top 8 (2015)
RMS FTW MN FTW Bespin FTW

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

I think the vouchers could be divvied out as the TD's see fit.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Yeah, I don't think we would prevent you from breaking it up that way, but generally I think people prefer at least having a chance to win something if they don't win the whole event. :???
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

imrahil327 wrote:Yeah, I don't think we would prevent you from breaking it up that way, but generally I think people prefer at least having a chance to win something if they don't win the whole event. :???
If I won a $50 travel voucher, I'd give it to the 1st place winner...
Thanks!

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

cooleo1c wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:Yeah, I don't think we would prevent you from breaking it up that way, but generally I think people prefer at least having a chance to win something if they don't win the whole event. :???
If I won a $50 travel voucher, I'd give it to the 1st place winner...
Gonna be more than 4 people there Ryan, don't think you need to worry about that :)

ZING
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

:grab:
Thanks!

Walsetmd

Post by Walsetmd »

I think "Deadbody" should choose how the $300 is split.My Vote is all $300 goes to the winner. I know that I'll probably be in the minority with this, but I just like the feeling that there's a big prize at the end. To me it just adds to the glory of being to say you won it. People will say you can accomplish the same with a smaller amount. I disagree, but it's not my call.

And is the PC providing a trophy to the winner? Or are we? I might have missed this somewhere. I know they're donating the (V) Card to the winner (and 2 V-Cards to the Charity Event).

Lastly, I think we should try to start really discussing what the prizes will be. If you'd rather keep it a secret Deadbody, that's cool, but if you wanna include us that's cool too. My thought is the earlier we decide the earlier we can continue to promote the tourney.
Walseth Top 8 (2015)
RMS FTW MN FTW Bespin FTW

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

I posted a bunch of stuff in the op. We could always use rares donated by the PC/players though
Thanks!

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

waiting to get some more info from thePC regarding costs and stuff. I will announce prizes. For sure it will be rares, and the travel voucher (I am inclined to leave it as top 4, but I'll listen to arguements)

I maydo some sort of cash prize as well depending on costs and entry fee.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Personally I don't think a $50 travel voucher is worth it. If you don't want to do it all to first place, I think splitting it like $200/$100 for 1st/2nd would be better than watering it down all the way to 4th place.

I think there should definitely be a cash prize as well. It sounds like the cost of the space is low enough where we should have a fair amount of cash left over.

I have a bunch of sealed product if you want to talk to me about using some of that too. I don't know if I'd totally donate it, but for an event like this we could work out some kind of bargain deal I'm sure.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

I am planning to do a cash prize, but I need to see what my costs are beyond the room, and I need to decide on an entry fee.

Probably won't do sealed product, I have lots of rares to give away, and that is more cost effective,
Image Image

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

I open JP boosters just for the quick high the scent gives me
Thanks!

dewaddict6

Post by dewaddict6 »

puck71 wrote:Personally I don't think a $50 travel voucher is worth it.
Walsetmd wrote:My Vote is all $300 goes to the winner.
Agree with these statements. If it's a "travel voucher," which imo implies it must be applied toward travel expenses, i.e. airplane ticket, then $50 or even $100 isn't much of a dent.

Awarding it all to one person is the best way to guarantee that someone actually uses it to travel to an event they wouldn't normally, which is the whole point of a travel voucher.

teh_brainiac

Post by teh_brainiac »

yea 300 travel voucher should just go to the winner, or make it a 200/100 1st 2nd. like 300 is probably both tickets to continentals and idk how much going to europe is, maybe a ticket and a half going to worlds? if i won the big voucher, i would totally go to worlds, but i mean, winning like a 75 voucher is cool but, not really enough to go anywhere.
just an above average minnesotan

teh_brainiac

Post by teh_brainiac »

it looks like if you go to worlds, its about 500-600 if you get a good price for the flight. i would pay 200 to go to europe for oktoberfest, and if there is also a cash prize, like i dunno how much for first? 50? thats def a good start on heading out there.
just an above average minnesotan

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

Wait so first place doesn't get a free plane ticket to any event of their choosing? Isn't that what was advertised? So when I win I "should" be getting a free ticket to worlds? That is absolutely absurd if you change it to a travel voucher worth xxxx instead. People have already made travel arrangements with the assumption that the first place prize is a ticket to any event.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

It was never a full ticket to anywhere, the amount was not announced at all until Scott & I discussed it. It was written that the voucher could be used toward any event to emphasize that people going to Worlds in Europe would be able to use it.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

You can still use the voucher to buy a one-way ticket.

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

Schoenthal thats BS im pretty sure it was implied that the winner would get a free ticket to a swccg event

Return to “US Nationals - June 8-10”