Event Details

Days Inn Bloomington West
7851 Normandale Blvd
Bloomington, MN
Jeeps

Re: Event Details

Post by Jeeps »

Steviegets112 wrote:Schoenthal thats BS im pretty sure it was implied that the winner would get a free ticket to a swccg event
It's never been that. Not sure where you got that... do you even know how travel vouchers work?

Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Walsetmd
LS Region: Bespin
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Walsetmd »

I just wanna again voice my vote that all $300 goes to the winner. For practical reasons I feel like all $300 should help the winner go to worlds. Yes, I agree $200 or $100 would help too, but come' on it's really just a dent into an overseas trip. And from a iconic perspective, I find the bigger the prize for first the more valuable the title is? Don't you agree?

Again I do mainly believe Deadbody gets final word as TD and stand by his call regardless.
Walseth Top 8 (2015)
RMS FTW MN FTW Bespin FTW

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Walsetmd wrote:I just wanna again voice my vote that all $300 goes to the winner. For practical reasons I feel like all $300 should help the winner go to worlds. Yes, I agree $200 or $100 would help too, but come' on it's really just a dent into an overseas trip. And from a iconic perspective, I find the bigger the prize for first the more valuable the title is? Don't you agree?

Again I do mainly believe Deadbody gets final word as TD and stand by his call regardless.
That would pretty much be a ticket to "anywhere" too... But, maybe if Nationals was actually something people attended (re: the last two or three National events), the PC (i.e. The Advocate) would be able to shell out larger vouchers for travel. Taking some of the entry fee money for this event to round the first place prize up a bit would be nice too...
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

Jeeps wrote:That would pretty much be a ticket to "anywhere" too...
:? i'm not sure where you're getting plane tickets recently, but $300 is more like a ticket to nowhere than anywhere.
But, maybe if Nationals was actually something people attended (re: the last two or three National events), the PC (i.e. The Advocate) would be able to shell out larger vouchers for travel. Taking some of the entry fee money for this event to round the first place prize up a bit would be nice too...
the pc is already going way above and beyond in their monetary support of this event. just a couple years ago you had to pay the pc something like $400 to run nationals, now the PC is tossing money at the TD.

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Jeeps wrote:Taking some of the entry fee money for this event to round the first place prize up a bit would be nice too...
I think we should do this as well. Not sure how much though. Garrett?
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

The Smoking Gungan wrote:
Jeeps wrote:That would pretty much be a ticket to "anywhere" too...
:? i'm not sure where you're getting plane tickets recently, but $300 is more like a ticket to nowhere than anywhere.
But, maybe if Nationals was actually something people attended (re: the last two or three National events), the PC (i.e. The Advocate) would be able to shell out larger vouchers for travel. Taking some of the entry fee money for this event to round the first place prize up a bit would be nice too...
the pc is already going way above and beyond in their monetary support of this event. just a couple years ago you had to pay the pc something like $400 to run nationals, now the PC is tossing money at the TD.
Hey, we all don't fly Executive Class like some other guys I know... $330 got me to Vegas last year from MSP. Just sayin'... and we all know it's all blows and hoes in the Advocate Council's inner sanctum...... the money flows like the salmon of Capistrano...
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

Garrett is still waiting to hear what my costs will be from the PC.

The only sunk costs will be $350 for the room for the weekend. I will do rates for prize support and I plan on doing a cash prize, but I don't know how much yet cause I need to get costs figured and then an entry fee decided on.

based on the feedback here though I think the travel voucher will be $300 to first winner take all
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

I just flew to Florida during spring break time for $345
Thanks!

puck71

Post by puck71 »

cooleo1c wrote:I just flew to Florida during spring break time for $345
Thanks for making our point. $300 isn't even enough to cover a flight between two big cities IN THE US, let alone trying to go to Europe or possibly flying out of a smaller city.
John Anderson

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Interesting....

"- Day 2 winner get's a trophy and TRAVEL VOUCHER to any swccg event, anywhere in the world"

is still listed on the first page here.

Does that mean this is being changed?

puck71

Post by puck71 »

stevetotheizz0 wrote:Interesting....

"- Day 2 winner get's a trophy and TRAVEL VOUCHER to any swccg event, anywhere in the world"

Nowhere does it say the voucher will cover all of your travel expenses.
John Anderson

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

puck71 wrote:
stevetotheizz0 wrote:Interesting....

Nowhere does it say the voucher will cover all of your travel expenses.
Hah, ok you guys got me. That was a good one. I totally fell for it.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

I agree it should have been worded better, but nobody (I hope!) was trying to "get" anyone or pull anything over on anyone.
John Anderson

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

should just edit it to say something like "...TRAVEL VOUCHER to be used towards travel to any swccg event, anywhere in the world."

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

I'm glad we got the $300 and it's all going towards the winner. Now let's stop whining
Thanks!

puck71

Post by puck71 »

darkjediknight11 wrote:should just edit it to say something like "...TRAVEL VOUCHER to be used towards travel to any swccg event, anywhere in the world."
agree
John Anderson

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

puck71 wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:should just edit it to say something like "...TRAVEL VOUCHER to be used towards travel to any swccg event, anywhere in the world."
agree
fixed
Thanks!

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Don't worry I think Baroni is the only person affected by this change since he's the only one who can win this event.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Wow, seriously? I can't make it to the event, but I was absolutely under the impression until just now that this was a voucher for the cost of a round trip plane ticket to any event. That is absolutely how it was worded and if people made travel plans based on that thinking that it could get them to Worlds... well I don't really know what to say about that, but I'm not sure how it could have been taken any other way.

I looked back at some of the other threads and what made it so clear in my mind was the following. Walseth kept talking about how people were gonna want to come to Nationals because it was gonna have some big creative prize that was gonna get everyone to travel to it, and then in his "Nationals and the Future of SWCCG" thread, he writes "Not only does the winner claim the title, "Best Player in the Country," but the PC has generously donated a TRAVEL VOUCHER to anywhere in the world as well."

When I first read that I wasn't even thinking anything about SWCCG. I was thinking I could go to China if I wanted to. I get that this wasn't anyone's intent to mislead people, but how else would you interpret this? Walseth had been fluffing this "mystery prize" for weeks.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

puck71

Post by puck71 »

The "other way" to interpret it is that is a travel voucher to anywhere in the world, just not for the full amount. Do you really think the PC would have a prize that open-ended? Oh I'll fly from Fargo, ND, to New Zealand, on the PC's dime!

When you get a "travel voucher" from airlines, like for being bumped or whatever, it's almost never for a full round-trip, it's for a certain dollar amount. I think almost all "travel vouchers" given out, by anyone, are for a specific dollar amount, or at least "up to" a certain dollar amount.
John Anderson

Return to “US Nationals - June 8-10”