Event Details

Days Inn Bloomington West
7851 Normandale Blvd
Bloomington, MN
stevetotheizz0

Re: Event Details

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

I think it was all the "Anywhere in the world" talk that USAstrat1985'ed it into sounding good.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

I'm sure there probably would've been limits, but yeah the "anywhere in the world" thing is what did it. A $300 travel voucher won't even cover the cost of my round trip flight from Boston to Minneapolis if I were to go to Nationals, let alone thinking about Worlds (or anything on the west coast).
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

deck
DS Region: Kashyyyk
DS Region: Kashyyyk
GEMP Username: Profundity

Post by deck »

this is some absolute 100% bull sheet. honestly. I got a round trip ticket to this event. there were NO round trip tickets from anywhere in new england for under 300$, and the prize doesn't even cover that? how is that even nationals, 300 is a freaking local in minnesota. don't you get like 60 people? if they all pay 20 bucks that's... a lot more than 300?

I really don't understand this. and I really can't believe I should've just banked this money and paid for my atlanta trip or even put it towards a germany trip.

the PC should step the eff up and sell some uncut sheets or something, because this is a goddamn embarassment.
Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Bleh. As I understand it the travel voucher is somewhat separate from the prize pool. I believe there will be a cash prize structure, based on the entry fees, on top of the travel voucher. But I'm not an official representative of any involved entity, that's just based on what I've heard and such.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

deck wrote:this is some absolute 100% bull sheet. honestly. I got a round trip ticket to this event. there were NO round trip tickets from anywhere in new england for under 300$, and the prize doesn't even cover that? how is that even nationals, 300 is a freaking local in minnesota. don't you get like 60 people? if they all pay 20 bucks that's... a lot more than 300?

I really don't understand this. and I really can't believe I should've just banked this money and paid for my atlanta trip or even put it towards a germany trip.

the PC should step the eff up and sell some uncut sheets or something, because this is a goddamn embarassment.
Considering the amount of the travel vouchers is the same as it was for Nationals last year, I simply don't see how this is a "goddamn embarrassment." I'm sorry that you're disappointed. I will talk to Garrett & try to clarify what puck said above about a cash prize as well, I'm not privy to that discussion at the moment.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

To reclarify what I have said multiple times. There will be a cash prize above the voucher. How much will depend on the number of people who play and what the costs and entry fees are.

As soon as I can nail down some stuff with Chris I will have some sort of cash prizes announced.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

Walsetmd
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Walsetmd »

Steviegets112 wrote:Schoenthal thats BS im pretty sure it was implied that the winner would get a free ticket to a swccg event
spideyguy0 wrote:Walseth kept talking about how people were gonna want to come to Nationals because it was gonna have some big creative prize that was gonna get everyone to travel to it, and then in his "Nationals and the Future of SWCCG" thread, he writes "Not only does the winner claim the title, "Best Player in the Country," but the PC has generously donated a TRAVEL VOUCHER to anywhere in the world as well."

When I first read that I wasn't even thinking anything about SWCCG. I was thinking I could go to China if I wanted to. I get that this wasn't anyone's intent to mislead people, but how else would you interpret this? Walseth had been fluffing this "mystery prize" for weeks.
deck wrote:this is some absolute 100% bull sheet... I really don't understand this. and I really can't believe I should've just banked this money and paid for my atlanta trip or even put it towards a germany trip.

Ok, where to start... I guess the beginning (Jan 9th)... In the below link (2nd from the bottom) I asked Imrahil if the PC would consider making a "$500 Cash Prize." http://starwarsccg.org/index.php?option ... 1&start=80

At which point Puck71 suggested a travel voucher following my $500 cash Idea. And then Imrahil announced that a travel voucher would be a poissiblility.

From here I asked him and Advocate about once a week (via PM and E-mail) if they could commit to that. About a month later I sent my Post "Nationals and the Future of SWCCG" to them as a rough draft. I even asked them to look over it and asked should I change anything, before posting.

Roughly, Feb 16th they told me that a travel voucher was acceptable. I was so excited that I never thought to ask for how much it was for, nor did they tell me. I was too excited about their generousity it didn't cross my mind.

Feb 17th, after getting approval from the PC I made my post official.

I didn't find out about the $300 until March 19th like everyone else.

My response to the 3 player quotes above will start with an apology. I'm sorry if my post mislead you. I assure you the thought never crossed my mind, nor was it my intent. All I knew was the PC was donating a Travel Voucher that could be used like cash. I also admit in my mind before the $300 was announced I was thinking the Travel Voucher was like a pass or free ticket. I have never received, used, or bought one. I hope you understand that when I said "the PC has generously donated a TRAVEL VOUCHER to anywhere in the world" I did not know the value of such item, nor was I told. I simply made that comment seeing if the PC would donate one, which is why I sent them the rough draft before it was officially posted. Again, I will take responsibility for the error, and all blame.

Stevie - This is unintentionally my fault. I am sorry.

Spidey - I'm sorry if you thought I was "fluffing" the prize. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure before I made my sticky post, that my main points of disscussion were, when it should be held, then where, then ask the PC for a donation. And then once I found out about the donation and they said my post looked good, I put it up.

Deck - I'm sorry you feel that way. I do feel responsible and hope it's not to late for you to get a full refund if possible. And if you can't I know Deadbody is trying his best to add to the prize pool.

Lastly, I really hope people catch the true intent of my post, not just the first paragraph, about what we do here in MN and the good that it brings to my community. The Tournament on the 10th is a Chraity Event, and made possible by the generousity of the community both local and distant.

Even with this misunderstanding, I still stand committed to all we do here, and will continue to advertise this event, by making posts and sending PMs to generate excitement.

Thanks,
Walseth
Walseth Top 8 (2015)
RMS FTW MN FTW Bespin FTW

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

Good post. People are overreacting
Thanks!

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Garrett & I are talking tomorrow & hopefully we'll have some info for y'all.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Again, a voucher is not the same as a ticket. People are complaining to be asshats, I guess... what the hell is the issue? Does anyone complaining actually know what the * a voucher is? C'mon, guys... stop princessing... At Nationals last year, I asked Sho how the voucher thing was redeemed and basically, you get the cash when you arrive at the event "anywhere" in the world. I guess the term voucher is incorrect, as it wouldn't say "Delta Airlines" on it... but would be straight cash, homey.

$300 is still $300. If you don't want it to pay for your travels, then someone else will gladly play to win it.

EDIT: oh, and Walseth, your post was spot on, conciliatory, and constructive... all completely beneath "The cHump"
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

teh_brainiac

Post by teh_brainiac »

Walsetmd wrote: ...lots of good stuff

Lastly, I really hope people catch the true intent of my post, not just the first paragraph, about what we do here in MN and the good that it brings to my community. The Tournament on the 10th is a Chraity Event, and made possible by the generousity of the community both local and distant.

Thanks,
Walseth
this. talking and listening to the 8th graders and the newer players, they are excited to see, meet and maybe even get a chance to get blown out by a top player. some of you guys are almost like celebrities to them.
just an above average minnesotan

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Mike Gemme has always been my celebrity crush
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Well, granted... that goes for all of us... but we digress...
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

After discussing it with Garrett & Scott, we are increasing the travel voucher amount to $700, to be divided up by the TDs however they want to. In addition, there will be some sort of cash prize based on attendance that Garrett will announce.

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Wow, that, that sounds awesome. I might have to build good decks or something.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

teh_brainiac

Post by teh_brainiac »

WOW. thank you pc and whomever else. that really is awesome.
just an above average minnesotan

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

Here goes. I'll be breaking down the full spread later depending on if any players want to donate to increase the prize pool.

Assuming 20 players (if there are less this will have been an abject failure and I will be too drunk at the end to pay out prizes :)

$20 entry fee

1st $500 travel Voucher and $75 cash
2nd $200 travel voucher and $50 cash
3rd and 4th $25 cash.

Rares for all.

More players equals more prize money.

$20 entry fee.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

30 players will be

$125/1st
$75/2nd
$40 each for 3rd and 4th.

Still rares for all.
Image Image

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

Good. I'd rather win the $700 voucher. Thanks
Thanks!

Walsetmd

Post by Walsetmd »

imrahil327 wrote:After discussing it with Garrett & Scott, we are increasing the travel voucher amount to $700, to be divided up by the TDs however they want to. In addition, there will be some sort of cash prize based on attendance that Garrett will announce.
"Wow..." is really what I said out loud when I heard the news. I cannot thank the PC for all they've done this year for our group here in Rosemount, and what you've done overall for the game. Amazing.
deadbody wrote:30 players will be

$125/1st
$75/2nd
$40 each for 3rd and 4th.
Deadbody, I can't give you a 100% but I will say I'm 99.9% sure 30+ is in the bag... I'm hoping If we can get 40+ there we can get it to an even $700 for first ($500 + 200). I think the bigger the spread between first and 2nd place, the less likely will see people take a "chop" and really play for it :) In fact if it were up to me (and it's not), I'd vote for a $800 ($700 + $100) and a $200 for 2nd, and Zero for 3rd and 4th. Keeping in mind, I really have little to no chance of making the top 4. :oops:

And as always, First place is way better then 2nd. Go Big or Go Home...
Walseth Top 8 (2015)
RMS FTW MN FTW Bespin FTW

Return to “US Nationals - June 8-10”