Deck Lists

Days Inn Bloomington West
7851 Normandale Blvd
Bloomington, MN
The Franchise

Re: Deck Lists

Post by The Franchise »

Nicknames and * handwriting make it harder for new players to read decklists. We shouldnt have threads here asking what aarons decklists say.

Also idk if i will go to any major sw ccg events where the top8 is timed. Start it at 8am, that is fine but dont time the playoff rounds

Also is JUSTIN DESAI really the one complaining about decklists? I mean, say what you will about aaron and kevins lists, but at least they WERE posted

All bs aside, it is good to have some sort of official policy for these things. I will volunteer to write it if needed.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Airdog2003 wrote: As I understand it, there are two reasons we ask players to fill out decklists. The first is to ensure fair play and disincentivize someone from cheating by switching cards in between rounds. The second is to help other players learn by enabling them to see what some their fellow nerds are playing at major event X.

As long as a decklist fulfills these two purposes, what is wrong with having a little fun with a card name here or there? Or putting stickers on your deck list? Or writing "Septoid Droid" or "Chokk" on every line of your decklist and then crossing it out and writing the name of the actual card you are playing? Some people want to have a good time and think it's kinda funny.
If the sticker or card names get to ridiculous for a judge to instantly recognize if he is checking your deck, then it slows down the tournament. That isn't right or fair to the rest of the players in the event. It also isn't fair to that judge for having to decipher the list. If it is all in fun, you also have to take in account those volunteers that are there to enforce the policy. If you're making life more difficult for them, then is that a fair thing to do?

If what you write offends a new player looking at the lists or any player that looks at the list, is that a good thing? It also at times forces a new player to figure out what you're talking about. The best example isn't in what you put there, since it is obvious, but I know when I first got back into playing after Worlds '09, that I had a hard time breaking the code since I knew none of the cards. Now I can, but then it was rough. I believe you had an EOPS deck, something I never played before when I played from 02-05 and then with all the virtual card changes, had no idea what any of the cards actually did.

I certainly don't want to pile on you for it, just bringing up some reasons against it. I take decklists very seriously, probably because of MTG/VS events where it was engrained in me that if you made a mistake, there was a very bad consequence for it. I realize that it would be bad to implement those into SWCCG because like you said it would cause people to stop traveling, but as Justin said, there is money up for grabs. We should be somewhat serious about it.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Kinda weird how someone picked this time to try and call out Arron's decklist. I would have put this one up in Aaron's top 5 most easily read-able decklists of all time.

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

Of all time.

@swccg
worlds.starwarsccg.org
justin.tv/swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

I have "fun" with the titles of my decks and leave the "fun" out of the card lists. Of course, with the size of our playing community being what it is (small), I just get enthusiastically excited to see what some of the guys are going to do with their decklists, kinda like Dennis Rodman did with his hair color. I don't know, we all know each other pretty well thanks to these boards and thanks to the amount of people who actually travel the country... it's like we're just a fraternity of dorks... and with that said, calling out another fraternity member seems disingenuous...

I thought the decklists at MN Nationals were... heh... BORING... John Anderson was the ONLY person to bring stickers...

For what it's worth, I thought having a networked printer at the hotel was sweet. My hand didn't cramp up and I just had to print out what I needed on site.
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

Kevbozzz wrote:Some of you guys take this * way too seriously. It's just a card game run by a bunch of volunteers. Play it and have fun.

Aaron is spot on about the 2 purposes of decklists.

And Justin I think what happened to you at worlds 08 was *, and what happened to guys like Chu and Lewis at worlds 2000 was a * travesty. If the tournament guidelines were up to me you'd never have had to go through that * and Chu would be a 3-time World Champ. Ask yourself if that would be so bad and consider coming over to our side on this issue.
I couldn't agree more.
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

So what's the story with Kevin's decklists? Why are they just a copy of Aaron's decklists?

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

JediJer wrote:So what's the story with Kevin's decklists? Why are they just a copy of Aaron's decklists?
cause they played the same decks

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Yeah- I just copied Aaron's decklist, folded the name, put Kevin's and called it good. Kevin's Decklists just said "Same as Aaron's"
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

teh_brainiac
LS Region: Bespin
LS Region: Bespin

Post by teh_brainiac »

people dont know the 4 poly effects?
just an above average minnesotan

Blarg
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Blarg »

I know that LS has five of them and DS has six.

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Airdog2003 wrote:
Still think it is lame that people don't take decklists seriously. "Jew-bacca..." seriously? I like the socal guys, a lot, but it just seems like one of those things that clashes with parts of the game that are taken seriously.

This may sound like a personal rant but why can't I spell qui gonn with a "ob" instead of a "qu" but it's ok to spell chew as jew?
Is there really any question as to which cards "Jewbacca, Walking Carpet" or "Imperial Ass-trocity V" are? Seriously?

This is no where close to being the same as writing something super vague like "bazinga banga man" on a list or "politcal effect x4" or "Qui-Gon with Saber" when it should have been "Obi with Saber" or "Blockade Flagship" when it should have been "Blockade Flagship: Bridge."

As I understand it, there are two reasons we ask players to fill out decklists. The first is to ensure fair play and disincentivize someone from cheating by switching cards in between rounds. The second is to help other players learn by enabling them to see what some their fellow nerds are playing at major event X.

As long as a decklist fulfills these two purposes, what is wrong with having a little fun with a card name here or there? Or putting stickers on your deck list? Or writing "Septoid Droid" or "Chokk" on every line of your decklist and then crossing it out and writing the name of the actual card you are playing? Some people want to have a good time and think it's kinda funny.
DQ. Only way to make people take it seriously is to give serious punishment. Im all for having a good time, but....as others have mentioned it needs to be as specific as possible. And dear God, no stickers....
This is a terrible suggestion and a great way to discourage players from coming out to major events that require decklists.

I also agree with this as long as these 2 conditions are met.

By the way, congratulations on the win, Aaron, and thanks for posting the Scoundrels deck.

One little suggestion though.
When posting deck lists, it would also be nice if players could make the extra effort of writing out
the card names instead of using abbreviations. I know that it’s a pain in the ass-tocity, but many
players still don’t know all the decks and struggle figuring out what means what.

Same goes for posting winner decks (preferably in the player decks section), and writing some
strategy, like Airdog2003 did. This really helps new and returning players, and we actually have a
lot of these.
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

zodac
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by zodac »

Can anyone tell me which card is at position 30 in Kevins Darkside Decklist (RalOps). I can't decode it.

Thanks

Calaglin

Post by Calaglin »

ZIMH -> Zuckuss In Mist Hunter
Cedrik V. - Belgium
Ruler of the Low Countries

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

its bullcrap when people use fakespeak on decklists. Its also bullcrap when people curse on them or write indecipherable garbage on them.
Well, Bye.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Would it be hard to write a program that export from Holodeck into the official decklist PDF or whatever?
(Anything other than the lame blank txt format it does now?)

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

If we did writeups the way Aaron did for the scoundrel list would that appease people? Scanned handwritten decklists are the worst format when trying to read decks, even when there aren't jokes & stickers. I agree that an improved holotable export feature would be an amazing help, and ideally there would be a method for TDs to post text-based lists instead of scanning them. Maybe just for the winners/top 8 or whatever.
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

mr shannon is on to something.
Well, Bye.

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

I don't think he is. I will never submit a typed deck list. If typed becomes the requirement you will see a lot less of me at tournaments. I've never had a deck list error, I like hand writing my lists and I am not going to be forced to change because some ppl can't write a list properly.
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

I don't think Kevin was implying that it should be a requirement to TURN IN typed lists. Clearly that is 100% unrealistic. I think he was just saying some method of having them typed after the fact.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Return to “US Nationals - June 8-10”