Days Inn Bloomington West
7851 Normandale Blvd
Bloomington, MN
Airdog2003

SoCal Scoundrels aka "SoCoundrels"

Post by Airdog2003 »

SoCal Scoundrels aka "SoCoundrels"

Introduction
It came as a nice surprise when Kevin called me up a few weeks ago and told me that he was planning to attend Nationals in Minnesota. Chris Schoenthal and I had committed to going a while back but thought we'd be making the trip without the reigning World Champ who was burried in school work and RL stuff. Once Kevin had booked his ticket, we turned our attention to the age old question: "What are we going play?" As annouced on his podcast, Kevin literally hadn't touched a SWCCG card since the MPC in February. Fortunately, it didn't take too long to get him up to speed as we emailed ideas back and forth. I sent him an early incarnation of the Scoundrels deck and we each spent some time messing with it on our own. We liked that the deck was fun, new and offered a lot of in-game options but felt it was uber card intensive and struggled in space. The original version we ran had cards like Advantage v to help win battles and keep your characters from getting overpowered. Kevin also had a version that ran like 6x destiny five Lando Scoundrels and started DTF. Both versions seemed mediocre at best. After a handful of PT games, we discovered the deck struggled like crazy against a CPIv list that our buddy Greg Shaw, had sent over. This sent us back to the drawing board while as we messed with a plethora of other decks.

Things were still up in the air when Kevin touched down in Minnesota on Friday. After grabbing some Korean BBQ pizza at a local Artisan pizza place [Insert joke about an asian guy ordering an asian flavored pizza here] we drove back to the hotel for a 12 hour playtest session. I won't get into all of the games we played but let's just say that Dark was winning a whole lot of games. We both felt we had at least five DS decks with the potential to go 4-0 on Day 1…including the deck that people were whining "got killed" by the Hindsight v errata. After breaking for some subpar take out Chinese food, we decided to change the scoundrel list up and throw in all sorts of techy cards for the CPIv matchup and try it out. It still lost. Then we added Landing Claw. And we had a winner…it didn't win by much. But it won. Here is what we ended up with.

Decklist
Starting: 12
Infiltration
Nar Shaddaa
Undercity
Scoundrel's Luck
Bravado
Ingenuity
Charm
HFAMF
A Good Blaster
Wokling v
Sai'tor v
AFAv

Characters: 16
Han Innocent Scoundrel x2
Bouussh x2
Chewbacca, Walking Hairball x2
Rebel Agent x3
R2D2 v
Mirax
Corran x2
Lando, Scoundrel x2
Sgt. Doallyn v

Ships: 4
BiPS x2
Booster's Destroyer
Obi in Rad VII

Weapons/Devices: 5
Rebel Agent's Gun
Chewbacca's Slingshot (Bowcaster)
Anakin's Saber v
Han's Blaster, SUC
Landing Claw

Places: 3
Undercity Street
Scoundrel's Guild
Scoundrel's Rest

Effects: 9
ICBHG v
Imp Nav Charts
IHSA
Imp Atrocity v
Seeking An Audience v
Draw Their Fire
Hindsight v
Flash of Insight v
Klor Slug v

Interrupts: 11
Escape Pod v x2
SATM/BP Combo
Houjix
LTWWv x2
Double Agent
Bith Shuffle Combo
Armed and Dangerous Combo
WWTBAO x2

Brief Strategy Section:
This deck is fun to play but requires careful attention to detail and strategic thinking to maximize its full potential. This isn't LS combat where you drop a guy at site and pray that you draw good combat destinies or the 2/2 deck where you deploy Yoda and hope you win by paying three to drain all game. Proper resource management, card deployment, tracking and timing are all extremely important to the deck's success. There are also a number of interesting combos you can set up with cards like Scoundrel's Charm and your objective's 7-side.

The starting effect slots are pretty flexible. Sai'Tor v is only effect you must start. Against damage race decks like CPIv, I recommend starting DTF over Wokling.

Key Cards to Find:
- Obi in Rad VII/WWTBAO
- Klor Slug v (if you're playing against mains)
- IHSA and Landing Claw (if you're playing against a deck that is going to damage race you)

Game Play:
Early in the game your deck is *somewhat* flexible. It's not WHTv or WHAPv where you either flip or lose but it's also not TRM where you just do whatever screws over you're opponent the most. Flipping is important but against some matchups (like RalOps), you're better off going at them early on and worrying about flipping later. Your first turn is generally just drawing cards and trying figure out where things are. Pull either the Guild or the Street so you aren't giving up extra icons unless you are playing against a vehicle heavy deck in which case you'll want to pull the interior site and go there with the Charts + whomever for an early flip. The sooner you can flip, the better but it's not worth the risk of getting blown off the site or missing out on drawing one of your "key" cards. If you have the opportunity to set up ICBHGv early, do it. It will make you a lot stronger on the ground and help you win battles by flipping.

After you flip, you can play a bit more reactively (if necessary) or set up board control and damage race with Ingenuity and the Blaster effect. Getting to space is important but you don't necessarily have to *win* in space. You just want to survive so that you're not paying for battle plan. Having to paying for Battle Plan makes it difficult to pay to retrieve and pay to deploy, etc. because the deck starts 12 cards and puts a lot on the table. You have decent beat down potential and if your opponent doesn't have Imp Justice v, the game is a lot easier for you.

Overall, I'd say this deck is probably Tier 1.5 at best. There are going to some holes and bad matchups that I'm not sure you have the tools to deal with. Your space package sucks unless you run Squad Assign and if you do, you probably don't have room for the necessary ground tricks to hang with DS mains or to threaten RalOps and flip them back. This build is optimized to deal with decks that try to damage race you. We were able to correctly predict the meta at Nationals and navigate through it. The deck's only losses were to our RalOps deck, a bad matchup for you. If you play in a DS mains heavy environment like the East coast and want more battle cards, you can drop stuff like IHSA, Landing Claw and Flash for cards like RLRv, Advantage v, Retort v or an extra SATM/BP.

Card choices:
- A Good Blaster: Some people question the inclusion of the blaster effect because there are only two blasters in the deck but I tend to think it's pretty important. Being able to hit for a drain-2 and ping one at your 2/2 site is nice as it helps you match the damage potential of someone like Vader + saber at the 3/2 (a site that is difficult for you to attack).
- Landing Claw/IHSA: These are meta cards. We felt CPIv would be popular thanks to the errata to Luke's Gun. The deck's space package is pretty bad…there just aren't a lot of good one-off independent ships unless you're running Squad Assignments. Booster's destroyer get the crap shot out of it by the LCB. Landing Claw will help you stay in space. In addition, all of the commonly played cards that cancel Landing Claw do so during the DS player's move phase. This means you can retrieve it the following turn with your 7-side and pick it back up with Charm, LTWWv or Miraximus…you just have to ensure you do not get obliterated the turn in between.
- Flash of Insight v: Loopable with Charm or Mirax.
- R2-D2 v: The deck isn't playing Scrambled Transmission v and it's nice to be able to at least protect your hand. He's also a heroic droid which provides a little weapons protection and combos nicely with the new Chewbacca. He also makes BiPS maneuver 7…if you get Corran or Chewie on board you fear Tie guns a whole lot less!
- Anakin's Saber v: We went with this over Leia's Blaster Rifle for more anti-weapons hate since we aren't running RLRv. Obviously her blaster rifle is amazing as well…especially against vehicles.

That's it for now! Feel free to post questions or whatever and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks for reading and have fun playing SoCoundrel's!

Kevbozzz wrote: And he rose out of the ashes of scrubdom, like a mighty Phoenix.
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!
Props to my Lakers - 2009 & 2010 World Champions...suck it Boston!

Image Image

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Re: SoCal Scoundrels aka "SoCoundrels"

Post by Kevbozzz »

You can't deploy Obi in Radiant VII because the objective only lets you use Independent ships, not republic. Other than that it looks like a good deck. 4 Stars.
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

Airdog2003

Post by Airdog2003 »

Kevbozzz wrote:You can't deploy Obi in Radiant VII because the objective only lets you use Independent ships, not republic. Other than that it looks like a good deck. 4 Stars.
Freaking newb. How do I earn force points so I delete this guy's bad rating?

PS - your objective's 7-side provides a force generation bonus.
Kevbozzz wrote: And he rose out of the ashes of scrubdom, like a mighty Phoenix.
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!

Image Image

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

Lol. Thanks for the write-up Aaron!
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

Nice work on this write up. Cool to see you guys break in a new decktype. What should obi in radiant be changed for?

I consider running a copy of falcon non v just to have the option of going to space with lando and a guy. Or maybe dash v or non v and outrider even though id have to draw into Them. Hell, maybe even run a All wings combo.
Idk maybe the claw is simply better because of card economy? It would just be so nice to be able to hold and drain at nar shada every now and Then. with the potential of drawing two destinies In every battle, I'm thinking this could maybe be achieved without spending too many cardslots on the matter. I might very well be wrong though.
Results:
European Championships 2014 - 3rd place
European Championships 2013 - 8th place
Toola Regionals 2013 - runner up
European Championships 2011 - 5th place

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

how do I get on those email chains?

Hari Seldon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Hari Seldon »

I'd rather see the CPI(v) list Shaw sent you...
allstarz97 wrote:...and thematically, as everyone is referencing on this thread, why are people not mentioning the part where mace windu is crying like a little *, gets his hand cut off and then gets thrown out a window?

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

TB wrote:What should obi in radiant be changed for?
It wasn't a mistake. They played We Wish To Board At Once to take it into hand, then lost it from hand to a drain or whatever. Then they placed it out of play with Scoundrel's Luck, allowing them to play I Can't Believe He's Gone (v).
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by DVD ROTS »

Nice deck, naturally. Was a little surprised to see only 1x SATM combo, but I hadn't even considered IHSAR, so, fair enough.

Question- did you find in the tourney games that the ICBHG power bump was worth the slots dedicated to it?
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

my scoundrels list is like...20 cards different, maybe more. that's pretty cool. when was the last time we've seen a deck like that outside of like trm?

24 cards different to be precise
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

puck71 wrote:
It wasn't a mistake. They played We Wish To Board At Once to take it into hand, then lost it from hand to a drain or whatever. Then they placed it out of play with Scoundrel's Luck, allowing them to play I Can't Believe He's Gone (v).
Oh my god, how embarassing. I totally know that move.
Results:

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

TB wrote:
puck71 wrote:
Yeah... can't wait for Kristian to convert the Retard deck to this platform... :(
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Zenith

Post by Zenith »

aermet69 wrote:
TB wrote:
puck71 wrote:
Yeah... can't wait for Kristian to convert the Retard deck to this platform... :(
Ugh yeah... I'll probably stop coming to our locals now... ;)
-Morten Iversen

Zenith - Team Copenhagen (Retired)

Airdog2003

Post by Airdog2003 »

WiseMarsellus wrote:my scoundrels list is like...20 cards different, maybe more. that's pretty cool. when was the last time we've seen a deck like that outside of like trm?

24 cards different to be precise
Yeah that is pretty cool. I'm guessing yours probably plays more space?

And yes, DVD ROTS, the power bonus is pretty sick and extremely helpful.
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!

Image Image

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

My guess is at some point the deck contained Advantage v because you start with Wokling v and I didn't notice other pullable effects for it. Why ditch it? Huge beatdown potential it seems with the ICBHG v trick!
http://www.mymero.com

Ryloth Region
ImageImage

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

eh, wokling for extra activation and opg retrieve is just that good.

Calaglin

Post by Calaglin »

Airdog2003 wrote:SoCal Scoundrels aka "SoCoundrels"
If you play in a DS mains heavy environment like the East coast and want more battle cards, you can drop stuff like IHSA, Landing Claw and Flash for cards like RLRv, Advantage v, Retort v or an extra SATM/BP.
Cedrik V. - Belgium
Ruler of the Low Countries

Airdog2003

Post by Airdog2003 »

FlorisV wrote:My guess is at some point the deck contained Advantage v because you start with Wokling v and I didn't notice other pullable effects for it. Why ditch it? Huge beatdown potential it seems with the ICBHG v trick!
Yeah the list did contain Advantage v at one point but like I said, it was dropped (along with a few other battling cards) in favor of pussball techy cards like Landing claw that allowed us to have a snowballs' chance in you know where to beat deck's like CPIv...which we felt would be (and was) popular
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!

Image Image

Harpster
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: Harpster
GEMP Username: Sharpy

Post by Harpster »

Good call on landing claw!

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

How is bousch typically being used? simply as an ability four character who draws alone and has decent stats or is she in there primarily as an undercover spy? i mean, she costs six. thats alot for a semi-main (at best). Could somebody share info on how she comes in handy?
Results:

Return to “US Nationals - June 8-10”