X-Men vs. Brotherhood 2 Signup Thread

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

X-Men vs. Brotherhood 2 Signup Thread

Post by Hunter »

Although Maven no longer visits the Forums, I am pleased to announce that I have nevertheless successfully recruited him to help me balance the revisions to the setup. :)

Right now, tentatively looking at a start date of 10/09.

The game we just finished was 18 players. The original X-Men vs. Brotherhood game was also 18 players. Ideally, I don't think I want more players than that for this game. So there will most likely be a hard cutoff, at 18 registrants. If there are certain "favorite players" that you'd like to have in the game with you, tell them to sign up early, just in case! (Though I don't think we really have much more than 18 players left around here.)

Rules will be edited into the post in the near future. Role List to follow after that.

Re-posting this here, for anyone who didn't see it at the end of the last game, heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IzSGvXc_PM

1. JarJarDrinks
2. foxfire
3. Cam Solusar
4. darkjediknight11
5. TacoBill
6. dorshe1
7. Meto
8. Gergall
9. Remaker
10. quesosauce37
11. Apollyon
12. Batmouse
13. caldred
14. DTartagOne
15. fungineer
16. JediJer

Alternate Slot

GAME RULES

In the game of Mafia/Werewolf (or X-Men vs. Brotherhood!) there are two main teams: The Town, and the Scum. The goal of the Scum is to eliminate the Townsfolk, thus taking control of the Town. The goal of the Townsfolk is to eliminate the Scum, thus protecting the Town. Problem being that the Townsfolk are not aware of the identities of the Scum. Last but not least, there is something called a Crazy/3rd Party player. His goal is to be the Last Man Standing, after all other players are eliminated.

- There are two Phases that alternate, Day Phase & Night Phase. The Scum team have the ability to attack (and probably kill) a player during the Night. The Townsfolk have the ability to vote on the lynching of a player that they suspect to be Scum, during the Day. The members of the Scum team (being unknown) can obviously also vote on this lynch selection, or they would not be able to remain hidden.

- There is always a minimum of one Noose every day, but if more than one Town player is killed in a single night, a corresponding number of nooses will be available the next day (e.g. 3 Townsfolk killed at night = 3 Nooses available the next Day).

- Players vote during the Day Phase and may change their vote multiple times. Only a player's last vote before the deadline will count. All official game times are in Eastern Standard Time, and are validated by the timestamp listed on the forum post. For example if the voting deadline is 5 PM, then a voting post timestamped as 4:59 PM or 5:00 PM would be valid, and a vote timestamped with 5:01 PM would not be valid.

- Players should not make any posts beyond the deadline cutoff, until the Narrator has announced the beginning of the next Phase.

- Votes must be bolded and should appear in one of the following formats:

Vote: Bob
Change Vote: Bob
Lock Vote: Bob
Change and Lock Vote: Bob
Unvote

- Players are allowed to vote against themselves

- Players are not required to cast a vote

- Players can vote for "No Lynch" which is treated as a single nonexistent player; thus if there are 3 nooses, and "No Lynch" has the highest vote total, it only causes one noose to go empty. The other 2 nooses in this example would be filled with players having the next two highest vote totals. Do not confuse the vote for "No Lynch" and the result of no one being lynched.

- In the event of a tie vote, there is no tiebreaker. Obviously if (for example) there are 2 Nooses and 2 players are tied for the most votes, they each fill a Noose. But if there is only 1 Noose and 2 or more players are tied for the most votes, nobody is lynched (the Noose is filled with a "No Lynch" result).

- Players are not allowed to edit or delete posts, EVER! Public posts must remain as they originally appeared, for fair gameplay. If you make a post and immediately notice that it contains an error, all you can do is make an additional post clarifying your error - do not edit the old post. Note that the forum has a "Preview" button that you can use to help avoid making errors in the first place.

- There will be 65-80% Town, 20-35% Scum, and no more than 7% Crazies/3rd Party players (thus, there must be at least 15 players, in order for the game to contain a Crazy).

- There are no guarantees that any specific role will be present in any given game.

- With the singular exception of Jamie Madrox, all roles in the game are unique. There will not be duplication of any other role besides Jamie Madrox.

- Time cycles will be approximately 48 hours for Day Phase and 24 hours for Night Phase. At some point during the midgame, this may change. The exact deadlines will be listed at the beginning of each Phase, and will be chosen to allow the Narrator time to review Votes & Actions, as well as allowing him to have a normal life. The Narrator will make every reasonable attempt to adhere to this deadline. The game begins with the Day Phase.

- Posts by the Narrator will update the game status, and may occasionally reveal pieces of information. Some will be obvious and definitive, others will be hidden clues. Definitive statements will always be true. Rumors may or may not be True, and will appear in blue text. At ALL times, at least 50% of the Rumors provided in the game so far will be True.

- You may reveal your role publicly, although there are obvious dangers in doing so. There will be no PMs between players unless your role allows it, and all PMs must include the Narrator. Certain groups, with Narrator permission, may use a separate forum for easier private communication. (The Scum team will have such a forum.) The Narrator must still be aware of any game communication, regardless of where it occurs. You may share information received from your role or your own personal deductions in the main public game thread. You may post your entire role PM in the thread, though you may give no "proof" that it was an actual PM (eg: print screen of your inbox)

- You may not share any information after you are eliminated unless your role specifically allows it. You may observe the game and even offer witty comments, but no advice or strategy in the main game thread, in your team's private forum, or anywhere else. Violation of this rule may result in a random person from your team being Mod-Killed, so when in doubt, err on the side of silence.

- Active participation is required. This means that if you do not post a message in the game thread for two consecutive Phases (i.e., Day and/or Night) then you forfeit your place in the game. This will result in a Mod-Kill. So, if the last time you posted in the game thread was during Day Phase 1, then you must make a post before the end of Day Phase 2.

- Some roles have special abilities. If a role has more than one special ability that could be used during a single Day or Night Phase, only one ability can be used per Phase. Some roles may specifically state that they can use multiple abilities during a single phase. Using an ability during a Night Phase has no effect on using an ability during the following Day Phase, and vice-versa, unless specifically stated.

- When a player is killed, his exact role PM (with any forum links redacted) will be revealed to all players.

- All Scum players have the following Special Ability:
Attacker [Night Action - Attack Phase]: Target another player. You will attack that player.

Only one member of the Scum team may use this ability each Night. During Night, all members of the Scum team use a pre-approved private forum to reach a majority decision regarding which member of the Scum team will be the Attacker, and which player will be the target. If the Scum team does not reach a majority decision regarding which player will be the Attacker, and which player will be the target, before the deadline for that Night has passed, then no Scum Attack will be performed on that Night. Once the decision is reached, the Attacker should turn in the attack to the Narrator, as one would turn in most other actions during the Night Phase.

- By default, all Scum players show "Night Activity" every Night. But some roles or abilities may create exceptions.

- Certain Night Actions can interrupt or interfere with other Night Actions. The following timeline shows which action types have precedence. Most Night Actions will have a declared target, and even if the action is unsuccessful, it still counts as a targeting. For example, if Player A targets Player B with a heal, but is Roleblocked by Player C, the healing will not affect Player B, but it still counts as a use of that ability and a targeting of Player B with that ability.

General Order of Night Actions & Events

1. Roleblockings
Roleblockings occur first, and will negate any Night action that had been turned in by the target. Any Roleblocking that stops or interferes with a Once Per Game ability will prevent that ability from occurring, just as it interferes with any other normal ability. However, the Once Per Game ability is not used up in this case. That player may choose to use the OPG ability again on a future Night, provided that the requirements are still in place. When a player is Roleblocked, they are told that they were Roleblocked, and that any attempted action on their part failed. Even if a player was not performing an action, they are still told that they were Roleblocked. Roleblocking does not prevent an Unblockable attack.

If Roleblocker A and Roleblocker B target each other, then both players are Roleblocked and are notified normally. Both players are considered to have successfully performed their Roleblocking action.
If Roleblocker A targets Roleblocker B, and Roleblocker B targets Player C, then Roleblocker B does not perform their Roleblocking action. Thus Roleblocker B is roleblocked, and player C is not Roleblocked.

2. Detainments
This has the same effect as Roleblocking, but occurs slightly later in the Night.
In addition, a detained player receives Protection for that Night, and does not show "Night Activity" for that Night (even if a Scum player).
As with OPG abilities that are Roleblocked, OPG abilities prevented by Detainment will be "refunded" to the detainee.
The detainee will be informed that they have been detained.
When a player is detained, his detainment will be announced publicly at the beginning of the following Day Phase (which player did the detaining is not revealed, however).

3. Attacks (including the Nightly Scum Attack)
This is any attempt to injure or kill another player. Each successful Attack creates a "Wound" on the target. Any Wounds on a Player at the end of Stage 6 (Healing) will result in the player’s death. Wounds may be Healed, but only one Wound is Healed per successful Healing attempt. If a player receives Multiple Wounds, they must also receive Multiple Heals or they will still die. If an attack is classified as "Unblockable" then it cannot be Roleblocked, prevented by Protection, Healed, or otherwise redirected.

4. Protections
This will prevent any Wounds from affecting the Protected target. Unlike Healing, a Protection will prevent any and all Wounds, unless the Attack was Unblockable. Protections stay in place for the entire Night Phase, so even if the player that was providing the Protection is killed, the Protection effect remains.

5. Counterattacks
Some abilities allow for a player to return fire if attacked. During this phase, a wounded player is still active and able to take actions. Stages 4 & 5 will repeat as often as needed until all Protections & Counterattacks have resolved.

6. Healing
This is when & where those nasty Wounds might be Healed. For each Wound applied to a player, it takes a successful Healing action to remove it. If a player has more Wounds than Healing actions, then they are dead. Any Wounds caused by an Unblockable Attack cannot be Healed. A Wounded player may still perform Healing actions. At the end of the Healing Phase, if the Healer is still Wounded, then they succumb to their own Wounds, but any Wounds they attempted to Heal are resolved normally.

7. Investigations
This is when players with investigative actions get their results. Note that as the last action in the timeline, there are many ways that it can be thwarted. This is intentional, as information gathering is a powerful tool in this game.

ROLES

Brotherhood of Mutants Faction:

Erik Lensherr (Magneto)
Wanda Maximoff (Scarlet Witch)
Pietro Maximoff (Quicksilver)
John Allerdyce (Pyro)
Victor Creed (Sabretooth)
Jason Wyngarde (Mastermind)
Mortimer Toynbee (Toad)
Eileen Harsaw (Phantazia)

X-Men Faction:

Charles Xavier (Professor X)
Scott Summers (Cyclops)
Jean Grey (Marvel Girl)
Henry McCoy (Beast)
Warren Worthington (Angel)
Robert Drake (Iceman)
Ororo Monroe (Storm)
Anna Marie (Rogue)
James Howlett (Wolverine)
Piotr Rasputin (Colossus)
Kurt Wagner (Nightcrawler)
Forge
Remy LeBeau (Gambit)
Moira MacTaggert
Jubilation Lee (Jubilee)
Elizabeth Braddock (Psylocke)
Jamie Madrox (Madrox the Multiple Man)
Longshot
Kitty Pryde (Shadowcat)

Third Party:

En Sabah Nur (Apocalypse)

The Scum team will be provided with the roles (with full text) of 4 Town roles that went unassigned.
Last edited by Hunter on October 10th, 2018, 4:36 pm, edited 13 times in total.

JarJarDrinks

Re: X-Men vs. Brotherhood 2 Signup Thread

Post by JarJarDrinks »

dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

foxfire
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by foxfire »

in for maven approved roles
Cam Solusar wrote: Also, please update your sigs to reflect your current house. Especially foxfire, who currently has three different banners in his sig. ;)

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

/in

Worst Rey ever is going to give it another go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Cam Solusar wrote:
The Internet wrote:Rey is such a Mary Sue. So much unrealistic hypercompetence, in EVERY area
Hold my beer.

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

I'll play, Brian.
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Reid my friend, you're not even allowed to *look* in this thread, remember? :)

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

-Keith Brown

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

/in
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

dorshe1
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1

Post by dorshe1 »

Sure. Gotta give scum an easy night 1 target.

Thanks!

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

in
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Please count me in. :saber:
Greg Zinn

Remaker

Post by Remaker »

i am in and ready to win

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Hunter wrote:Re-posting this here, for anyone who didn't see it at the end of the last game, heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IzSGvXc_PM
Yeah this really takes me back. That theme song just snaps perfectly back into place in my head after not hearing it for a couple decades.

It also serves as an important reminder that animated gifs are out there, ripe for the taking. Players can also make their own gifs from youtube clips if they are particularly dedicated.

Greg Zinn

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

was this this one where i was wolverine and my only power was that i could be used as ammo?
Jerry H

Image Image

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

quesosauce37 wrote:was this this one where i was wolverine and my only power was that i could be used as ammo?
No, your other power was that you'd have been really good at getting killed by Magneto!

quesosauce37

Post by quesosauce37 »

ah yes, i remember that now

i dont see rules/roles anywhere are you using the same basic setup +/- small changes?
Jerry H

Image Image

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

quesosauce37 wrote: i dont see rules/roles anywhere are you using the same basic setup +/- small changes?
There will be changes. Some "small" and some not so small. Maven will be working with me on revisions, to help guarantee that there continues to be good game balance. I'll edit in a rules post, and then follow that with an updated role list.

You seemed pretty seriously opposed to playing the last Mafia game, so I'm not expecting you to sign up for this one. But maybe you have more time in your schedule now than then (or maybe you're just a big X-Men guy).

quesosauce37

Post by quesosauce37 »

i have a much better schedule, yes

i liked the setup of the xmen one the best because of the hidden roles and the fact that everyone had a role, being vanilla is ok sometimes, but i dont find it as fun as when you can have more impact with a role, even if i ususally screw things up when i have a power role (double noose ftw)

in my ongoing effort to get better at everything i suck at, i will play this time

just make wolverine better, you dont even have to give that role to me, but....claws man....claws
Jerry H

Image Image

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

quesosauce37 wrote:you dont even have to give that role to me, but....claws man....claws
Your role assignment will be rrrrrandom! I will think about the claws, but no promises! :D

Return to “Forum games”