Travel Arrangements (including airport transfers)

Leicester, UK
Paul McPherson
LS Region: Naboo
GEMP Username: PMcPherson

Travel Arrangements (including airport transfers)

Post by Paul McPherson »

As Casper and Morten found out last year booking train tickets on the day of travel in the UK is VERY expensive. If you let me know your travel plans in advance (the sooner the better!) then I will advise you as to your cheapest/best options.

Useful Websites

National Rail Enquires - www.nationalrail.co.uk
megabus - uk.megabus.com (this company is brilliant as you can get VERY cheap bus tickets - for example, £1 from London to Leicester - as well as cheap train tickets)

Airport Transfers

I am not working either side of this weekend and I am more than happy to pick people up and drop people off at either (Nottingham) East Midlands (EMA) or Birmingham International (BHX) airports any time up to a week before or a week after the tournament. This is offered on a first come first served basis so PM me your flight details and I'll let you know if I can pick you up and drop you off. This may mean that it is better for some of you to pay slightly more for your flights and fly into one of these airports rather than flying into London. I'll keep an up-to-date list of airport transfers below this post.

If anyone needs any further details then feel free to PM me.

Image Image

World Championship 26th Place - 2019
European Championship 4th Place - 2013
Naboo Regional Winner - 2015, 2018 & 2019
Ralltiir Regional Runner-up - 2019
English National Winner - 2014
Welsh National Winner - 2017 & 2018
German National Runner-up - 2018

Join the Star Wars CCG UK Facebook Page

Paul McPherson

Re: Travel Arrangements (including airport transfers)

Post by Paul McPherson »

Airport Transfers

Saturday 11th August

Picking Par and Emil up from their hotel in Birmingham at 08:00

Sunday 12th August

Dropping Par and Emil off at Birmingham Airport at 17:00 (for an 18:55 flight)
Last edited by Paul McPherson on August 7th, 2012, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Hay Paul, I've just been looking at flight tickets and it looks deliciously cheap :) Now, I really really such at ordering stuff online (afterall it's said I live in the wood :shock: ) so maybe you can fill me in on those Megabusses? Just quickly browsing I found a 15£ (for 3 as I expect that we come at least three), but I don't know if we can just order them or what? Is it printable tickets?
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Paul McPherson

Post by Paul McPherson »

aermet69 wrote:Hay Paul, I've just been looking at flight tickets and it looks deliciously cheap :) Now, I really really such at ordering stuff online (afterall it's said I live in the wood :shock: ) so maybe you can fill me in on those Megabusses? Just quickly browsing I found a 15£ (for 3 as I expect that we come at least three), but I don't know if we can just order them or what? Is it printable tickets?
Hi Casper,

I've only booked once using megabus and they were printable tickets. Let me know your travel plans and I'll do a quick search to find the best deal for you (for example, you can get 3 train tickets at certain times for £27 on the megabus website - a little more expensive but it saves you 90 minutes travelling time).

Can't wait to see the Viking Horde again :-D

Paul.
Image Image

aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Paul McPherson wrote:
aermet69 wrote:Hay Paul, I've just been looking at flight tickets and it looks deliciously cheap :) Now, I really really such at ordering stuff online (afterall it's said I live in the wood :shock: ) so maybe you can fill me in on those Megabusses? Just quickly browsing I found a 15£ (for 3 as I expect that we come at least three), but I don't know if we can just order them or what? Is it printable tickets?
Hi Casper,

I've only booked once using megabus and they were printable tickets. Let me know your travel plans and I'll do a quick search to find the best deal for you (for example, you can get 3 train tickets at certain times for £27 on the megabus website - a little more expensive but it saves you 90 minutes travelling time).

Paul.
Using the planning powers of my servant Smukke, we have, as he said, booked and ordered everything we need from here to Leicester :)
- Casper Jørgensen
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Paul McPherson

Post by Paul McPherson »

aermet69 wrote:
Paul McPherson wrote:
Hi Casper,

Paul.
Using the planning powers of my servant Smukke, we have, as he said, booked and ordered everything we need from here to Leicester :)
Between you missing the flight to Berlin and Smukke getting fined for not validating his underground ticket I don't see how your travel plans could possibly go wrong!!! :lol:
Image Image

aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Mod!!!! Paul is trollin' me! :epic:
- Casper Jørgensen

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

So me and Pär will come from Sweden on Friday. We will arrive in Birmingham and since we have the forward planning of a gold fish, we booked our flight tickets yesterday :-D (To be fair, Pär did book on Sunday but a "technical failure blah blah" cancelled our booking on Monday morning and suddenly all prices went up by 100%).

Our flight includes a hotel night in Birmingham, close to the airport so we will probably sleep there on Friday, and get to Leicester Saturday morning. Any tips on the best transport from the airport to the venue? Unless someone is willing to pick us up in the morning :?:

Also, we might need to book a hotel night in Leicester on sat as well, any tips there?
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

Paul McPherson

Post by Paul McPherson »

Darth_Link wrote:So me and Pär will come from Sweden on Friday. We will arrive in Birmingham and since we have the forward planning of a gold fish, we booked our flight tickets yesterday :-D (To be fair, Pär did book on Sunday but a "technical failure blah blah" cancelled our booking on Monday morning and suddenly all prices went up by 100%).

Our flight includes a hotel night in Birmingham, close to the airport so we will probably sleep there on Friday, and get to Leicester Saturday morning. Any tips on the best transport from the airport to the venue? Unless someone is willing to pick us up in the morning :?:

Also, we might need to book a hotel night in Leicester on sat as well, any tips there?
Hi Emil,

I have already let Par know that I can pick you both up from Birmingham at 08:00 on the Saturday morning and I'll take you back to the airport on Sunday evening. Can one of you PM me (or post here) the details of the hotel that you are staying in so that I know where to pick you up from?

In terms of a hotel in Leicester I would recommend the Premier Inn from the accomodation thread:

Premier Inn

This is the nearest hotel to the tournament venue (5 minutes by foot) as well as the cheapest (currently £36 per night for a twin room - £18 per person per night). To book go to http://www.premierinn.com - the hotel that you need to book is called Leicester (Braunstone) (it's the 5th one down if you type Leicester into the search box). This hotel is also next to the pub where we will most likely go for food/drink on the Saturady night.

Due to the closeness of the booking a twin room is now £51 - still only £25.50 per person though and it's a pretty decent hotel.

If money is really tight then for £40 you can book a double room at the Days Inn hotel at Leicester Forest East service station. This is where the Danes are staying but be warned - it is a walk over a boggy field and a climb over a 4 foot fence to get to the Tournament venue. Personally I'd recommend against this!!! See www.daysinn.co.uk for more details.
Image Image

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

Paul McPherson wrote:
Darth_Link wrote:So me and Pär will come from Sweden on Friday. We will arrive in Birmingham and since we have the forward planning of a gold fish, we booked our flight tickets yesterday :-D (To be fair, Pär did book on Sunday but a "technical failure blah blah" cancelled our booking on Monday morning and suddenly all prices went up by 100%).

Hi Emil,

I have already let Par know that I can pick you both up from Birmingham at 08:00 on the Saturday morning and I'll take you back to the airport on Sunday evening. Can one of you PM me (or post here) the details of the hotel that you are staying in so that I know where to pick you up from?

In terms of a hotel in Leicester I would recommend the Premier Inn from the accomodation thread:

Premier Inn

This is the nearest hotel to the tournament venue (5 minutes by foot) as well as the cheapest (currently £36 per night for a twin room - £18 per person per night). To book go to http://www.premierinn.com - the hotel that you need to book is called Leicester (Braunstone) (it's the 5th one down if you type Leicester into the search box). This hotel is also next to the pub where we will most likely go for food/drink on the Saturady night.

Thanks a lot for the tips and for picking us up. We will PM you the details of our hotel in Birmingham, and we will probably book the premier inn tonight.
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

Return to “Europeans - Aug 11”