3rd place TR

Fox and Hound
12802 Gulf Freeway, 2nd Floor
Houston, TX 77034
rhendon

3rd place TR

Post by rhendon »

TR - TMW Houston

First off I'd like to thank Joseph for directing all the events and keeping things going smoothly. I'd also like to thank James, Nick and Mike for hosting and getting everything set up.

So its Texas Mini-Worlds time and of course I'm going. I try and make plans to test and build a bunch of decks from the MPC to prepare. I of course barely have much time for testing. So the week before the event, I still don't have any decks that I like and want to play. I had some ideas for stuff from 8.3 but since I didn't have time to test them, they're just ideas. I had wanted to do some sort of speeder deck since I expected a bunch of HDv and felt like that was best to combat them. Since most have moved to the Hoth exterior site. I wanted to do TIGIH speeder beat down but with 15 shield increase and the extra deploy from the colo shield, I wasn't sure if I could pull it off. That extra force spent would mean less speeders overall. I also thought about LUv and even had a list of 60 cards. I then looked and could count about 10-15 cards that would be left in my deck if I was able to set up. I had forgotten about that with that objective.

So Thursday night comes and I still have no decks. I'm talking to a friend on my way home asking him to stop by on Saturday to check on my pets for me. He used to play in our Austin group back in 2003/2004. He said I should just play senate for both sides. I had pretty much given up on doing well at this event with the lack of practice, so I said what the hell. I've always enjoyed playing senate. People call me a sick individual because of it. I already had my DS senate built. Just needed to cut out v-cards for it. I also verify it to make sure it is all there. LS senate I knew I didn't want to do rebel senate. I liked the senate of old and luckily Hunter had played one at the MPC. So I grab his list and make a few changes. I know how Hunter builds his decks to give him maximum advantage to out play people and thus thinks of what would be the worst situation possible and builds it to avoid those. Since I'm not in the same country of play skill as Hunter, I take a few more risks in deck building. I learned in MTG that to beat better players, you have to take risks with your deck building. So I put that together and figure I'll just do all the v-slips Friday night at James' house. I get everything together on Thursday night, since I'll be leaving straight from work.

When I get to work on Friday, I ask Tom Hollingsworth in chat how to beat WYSv with DS senate. Talk a bit more about various things it can do in other match ups as well. After work I drive down to Houston. I make incredibly good time and think that no one will be there when I arrive, so when I get to Houston, I don't weave in and out of traffic and am just content to wait. I get there and go to get my cards out of my trunk so I can cut out slips and figure out what I wanted to play in team event. I open my trunk and my decks aren't there. Oh crap. Luckily I had packed my senate decks in my OTSD box that Kessling hooked me up with in our trade a while back. However, I had taken out my shields because I packed a 2nd set, so I moved all the shields into the deck box. So I go inside and ask everyone if they have an extra set I could borrow for tomorrow. Nick Reisch comes through for me and I really appreciate it. I then ask if anyone needs a teammate still and Aaron does. So I tell him my sob story of leaving my decks at home and ask if he can lend me one. He asks me what side I want to play and I tell him it doesn't matter. Whatever he wants, I'll take the other. So I get DS. He asks what I like to play and I tell him I'll play anything. It really doesn't matter. He says he has HDv and ASM built. So I take the ASM. I look through it and get a general idea on how many of what I have and what interrupts are there, etc. Its a pretty standard ASM and not the droid/forced servitude version.

Before the event begins, our new local player, CaptMarshall or Daniel, introduces himself and we chat for a bit. He wanted to thank me for saying I'd lend him cards and I told him it was no problem. I could have shown him how ridiculous my collection is if I hadn't left the decks at home. He asks about decks and mentions profit/HDv from a new player article he read. I think this was Tiny's. I told him he should play communing instead and told him I'd send him some lists so he can check them out. I tell him, if he wants, he can watch my games and I'll explain to him afterwards what is going on.

The team event starts and Aaron and I are paired against Shaw and Baroni. Aaron vs Shaw and me against Baroni. I forget what Aaron played but Shaw played SYCFA. Baroni was playing communing.

ASM vs Baroni communing

He starts Yoda and I get a slow hand, so I just draw some and set up. Standard ASM set up (nal hutta pull, blaster rack, etc). He misses Obi's hut pull and has to pull Tat system. I take out Yoda the next turn and move to flip. He sets up and draws. I flip after deploying some guys. His turn he draws and saves some since he can't really take me out yet. My turn I cause damage, drain, and set up Fetts at Tat. I had drawn up stunning leader last turn, so I spread a bit here to cause some more damage. His turn he drops home 1, Lando scoundrel, and Ackbar at the helm and battles. I was a bit surprised because he didn't pull the war room or Ackbar off a RLv. I figured maybe he was just doing R2 in Red 5 or something different. Maybe Baroni had changed decks or something. So he battles and it was so bloody that I had to lose everything to prevent a bunch of overflow in space. However, his guys are at Tat and can't get to Nal Hutta, so I just deploy another ship over there to satisfy battle plan later on. My turn, cause damage and I think I drop the ship here and draw some. His turn he drops down Han + Chewie on Cyborg I think. I stunning leader the battle. Then YAB Chewie and beat Han for some overflow. He gets in fights and flips me back. I get some back and flip back. Its a close game and we end up going to time. We tie on reserve deck and count lost piles. I lose there by a few. Afterwards Baroni tells me I played really well and he should win that matchup by 30. I didn't think communing had that much of an advantage over ASM, but I haven't played much lately so what do I know. However, him telling me that made me think that if nothing else, I'm at least on top of my game to do well tomorrow.

TL - Lost piles by a few.

2nd round we get paired up against Barnes and teammate. Aaron will win his round.

ASM vs Barnes' HBv Aliens

I don't really remember much of this game. We fought in space. He tried to harass me enough on ground but couldn't really get an advantage. I got a beatdown on ground while he got one in space. We end up going to time as well and I lose again on lost pile count.

TL - Lost piles by a few

3rd round we get paired against Matt Schmaltz and his teammate. Aaron wins as well.

ASM vs Matt's communing

Not really sure on the exact details of this match. I know I win this round though.

So we end up 3-3 with 1 full loss by Aaron to Shaw. I have 2 timed losses with having to count lost piles. Shaw and Baroni end up at the top of the standings and I think Barnes' team is 2nd. They work something out.

So we head back to James' house and I start to work on my decks since I still have to cut out v-slips. I then notice I left all my LS ones at home as well. Sigh. Its going to be one of those weekends I can tell. Yay! So James helps me find slips and I'm missing a jedi levitation. He loans me one of those. Bobby and JW each just kind of fall asleep after finishing up theirs. I finish up my decks and lists and then go crash.

Sleep in until about 9 and get up. I take a shower, drink some OJ and just kind of get ready for the event. We show up, register, turn in decks and get ready to play.

Recap:

LS: Light senate republic style
DS: Senate space 12 card start

Round 1: Olaf with HDv

Olaf is a local. I wasn't sure he was going to show up since he wasn't on the list but am glad he did. Real nice guy and always fun to play against. One thing that LS senate does is start strike planning so no stupid 2/0 twix that will satisfy battle order/plan and drain for 2 for HDv this game. However, HDv is tough because they can hit your guys and you lose a bunch of force. Also, Galen and LS in senate can cause some attrition to take out your guys. My plan was to set up strong in senate to discourage that and attack with Quiggy more than the others. He also doesn't have Tarkin's bounty to start. So we set up but he ends up missing Galen's LS pull. I pull Nar Shadda with Mothma and he deploys the 3/2 site as the BG site. I draw up mine at some point and lose it to a drain. I drain in space and add 2 sometimes. I also pull cards from hand and get in some beats but lose some force here and there from hit guys. I get one big battle in space as well with some nice destiny and cause like 20 overflow on his fleet. His bad luck plus my good play allow me to get the full win here by 20ish or so.

FW 1-0

Round 2: Evan with Chewmunning

Evan is another local. I've known him from when I first played and we played a bunch back in '02-'03. So its the standard start for him and 12 card for me. No scrambled v this game. He gets out Home 1 first and I can't pounce. In fact, I have to draw a huge hand trying to get ships/pilots or SRF/WYB combo. Everytime I drew, they were in the force I used. I don't think I had Lott Dodd out until late either, so it was a double kick. I draw about a 30 card hand. I drop maul to pick a fight and draw up TPM after. He drains and then fights Maul. I lose Maul and then he OOCs and hits Maul out of my yard. I think I had 4 cards maybe a bit more so odds weren't there for him to succeed but he did. So I can't really fight on ground now. I try and take out Home 1 in space, but am having trouble with the small reserve deck in getting the right guys/ships in the deck when I need them. I end up scooping when we get to the 2 minute warning and me with no way to cause a 15ish force swing.

FL 1-1

Round 3: JW with TIGIH

JW is staying with me at James' place. Good guy who I played years ago and is friends with Blake. He also doesn't have scrambled v. I set up in senate first turn (Lott Dodd and Toon) and he drains with luke in the hutt. I didn't want to pull battle order and I can't pull coward to do anything. So I take the drain. I didn't want to lose something from hand, so I lose off the top and its Vader. He plays OOC. Yay! He moves Luke over and draws. I set up in space with Bossk in ship to Naboo (which I started), thinking he didn't have much space outside of HC&F and probably only 2 of those. It was worth the risk to get in some quick damage if possible. He drops Bright Hope, Dash v and GLiG1 v and battles. He draws low and Bossk is immune and I draw high enough to drop GL and Dash. Next turn I battle away Bright Hope. Again I'm having trouble drawing my space which is funny because I have so much of it. He does not have that trouble and keeps dropping ships on me. I eventually fight it all off and look to go to the ground. He has Luke at one site and someone at another. I drop and get rid of the other since Luke forced me to pay 1 to swing and I was force shy with everything I was doing. I kick him off there and lose Maul. I eventually shield bust him and he doesn't have aim high out. I've got like 7 senators in the senate. So I squab after dropping my last Maul and retrieve 7 for free. I'm eating drains after he redeploys to ground and I can only cancel 1 of his 2 ground drains. I'm causing him damage every turn in space and Baskol. He is catching up in damage since he was attacking me in space using DTF and First Strike and also using Luke for retrieval. So I need to take out Obi on the ground. (drain 3 site) So I drop Zuckass and plan to battle and save Jango for next time, however he barriers. I have to drop Jango now to not get beaten down. He drops Corran and battles, but can't cause overflow and loses both of his guys. Time gets called I think during my turn, so I cause damage and get a senator into hand to stop his drain. He goes and drains and I cancel, put my guys back from effects and thats it. We count and are tied, so off to lost pile. I've got less so I pull out a win.

TW 2-1

Round 4: Bobby with ROPs

Bobby is also staying with James and is a friend of Blake. I haven't had the pleasure of playing him until now. He doesn't start Tarkin's bounty either. I set up in senate with Mothma and Palp. I try and get a ship, so I can go to Raltir and stop his flip. However, I'm late and he flips. He then goes after the senate which surprised me but made perfect sense with the plusses. I'm not used to play ROPs so down goes Mothma. I wokling Mothma and re pull her. So I can flip again. I also attack him on Raltir. He redeploys and attacks senate again. I lose both but I can redeploy from effects and do. He keeps attacking the senate and I'm trying to knock him off raltir. He isn't draining though. However, I should have just left the senate and went to force him to reflip. I realize this later though (after the game). We've played for about 50 minutes and still have a ridiculous amount of force left. Mich Rich stops by and asks if we were even playing or just goofing around. I eventually cause him to reflip but he flips again the next turn. Time is called. I can battle twice and do. In one of them, he draws vader and takes him into hand to redraw thinking he would get overflowed. However, he had a giant hand he could have lost from. In doing so, he causes our force to be the same and we go to lost piles. I have less and pull it out. We could have played for another 30 minutes and likely still not had a winner though.

TW 3-1

Round 5: Shaw with TIGIH

Finally someone not from Texas. Unfortunately its Shaw. He beat me twice last year at TMW. I'd like to get at least 1 against him. So we start (no scrambled v) and I don't get Lott Dodd. I have to flip without him. I activate him the next turn and draw for him so it wasn't that big. What was a big deal was Shaw trying to find Home 1. He knows how important it is in this match up. He needs it early so he can drop a ton of forfeit on there to keep me from taking it over. This will allow him to drain on the ground for free and stop most of my damage. So he draws up about 30 cards looking for this ship. I've got a decent fleet at Naboo by now. He had paid to drain before he drew, so since he didn't have it, he assumed it was one of those 3. So next turn he draws those and then says "I think I left an important card in my deck box". I was expecting him to drop home 1 that turn since he had drawn up that big hand and when he didn't, I knew what was missing. Sure enough, Home 1 is hiding out in his deck box. He asks me if he can put it in his reserve deck and I tell him that I'd rather start the game over. We're already 20 minutes in though and it would be rough to start over so I agree to put it there so he can actually play. He gets it out the next turn but its so late. I end up killing it in battles 3 times before it stays gone. I also make some attacks on the ground to annoy him down there (also to stop some of the damage he was doing) and cruise to a win.

FW 4-1

I still hate winning like that. If it had been anything other than Home 1, no big deal. We'd likely have noticed sooner too. Shaw is all class though and says it wouldn't have mattered and I'd have still won but I know better. I may have still won but it would have been a hard fought battle. I'd have had a lot less in reserve then too.

Round 6: Shaw with AoBS

So we play again, dark just dominated that round. Aaron was 5-0 and there were 3 4-1s. Aaron played light, all the 4-1s had played dark. Anyways, we start and I make sure Shaw has all his cards this time. He is doing the scum start. He drops vigo first turn and pulls Nal Hutta. I drop senators and core from Mothma and Shadda from hand. I want to go to space quick because I know scum has a hard time with space if I can set up quick. I get Lando there 2nd turn but am having a hard time finding someone to go with him and Shaw drops on him. He doesn't battle the first time because he had a 1/2 on top. He thought he was going to get 2 destiny though. I was hoping he would battle and could get him to make a mistake. In any case, I can't reinforce Lando but what he has, isn't that bad. So I stay. He then drops ZiMH to take out Lando. I send him to the tank and replay him next turn to flee Nar Shadda. He drops another ship and finally takes out Lando and ship. I tried to take out Guri with Quiggy w/stick one turn during this and failed. What I should have done was found Luke while he was setting up. Drop Luke to the 3/2 site and hold sense for any Elis that comes. He'd later tell me he was only playing the fake elis, so this would have worked even better. In any case, he wins big because I was unsure of how to attack the deck and went with the wrong choice.

FL 4-2

So after that, I know I just need 1 win to get into top 8. 5-3 should all make it. It might not place high though, but will still top 8. I also learn that I may not be able to beat Shaw when he has a full 60 but if he plays 59, I've got him right where I want him.

Round 7: Aaron with WYSv

Cool. I had just asked Tom on Friday how to tackle this matchup. Then he deploys starting effects and its not typical WYSv. He has General Solo v also instead of Capt Han. No idea what the hell is going on. Advantage Aaron. However, he doesn't start scrambled. Advantage me. So I tell him that Tom had told me how to beat this match up and tell him I'm going to Corellia. I started Maul's site as well. So I get Naboo in opening hand but don't deploy it. I flip with Lott Dodd and Toonie. Get effects and start to build up to attack. However, he gets out Home 1 so fast. I think it was out on his 3rd turn. He got Chewie v out too on turn 2. So I don't think its that good of an idea to attack there. I then notice that he hasn't pulled a site. I'm beginning to wonder if he plans on flipping. I don't think he is. So I drop Naboo and my ridiculous fleet there. I however hold off on the Fetts in case they need to go to ground. So he isn't draining in space and I am. I'm also about to start Baskol, assuming I can find him. I start to worry I pulled a Shaw but thankfully he was in the 3 force I spent. So Aaron has to do something so he deploys a Luke JK to Corellia aboard Home 1 and shuttles him down. He also deploys the back door with Mace there. I take out Mace. I just keep attacking 1 site, pay 3 to put 2 from hand away, pay 3 for drain of 2 at Naboo and cancel his drain. For the first bit, I'd deploy the senator from the effect but towards the end I paid 2 to put back. Aaron is smart though and pulled Aim High and since there were a few times where I couldn't attack, I took some drains. I end up saving up for an attack and retrieve a bunch with squab. The game wasn't that interactive though outside of a few fights. I largely ignored him and the damage.

FW 5-2

So I just made top 8. I figured I'd likely have to get my win in round 8 because I figured I'd misplay and Aaron would pounce. However, I didn't give him any openings or if I did, he wasn't able to take advantage of them. Aaron also tells me that he took out scrambled because Mike told him that Thomas wasn't going to play. Thanks Thomas! Aaron has a better matchup with scrambled for sure.

Round 8: Matt with HDv

Crap. Not this objective again. However, no Tarkin's bounty. 8 games today all with senate, no scrambled or Tarkin's bounty. He does deploy Justice though on turn 2. He also attacks the senate and forgets to use Justice on the first attack and realizes it after he draws. I realized it before hand. I was going to modify his draw and mine, etc. He mentions his intent was to use it and I'm thinking. He then mentions it would likely just hurt him here. I hadn't drawn my destiny yet, so I give him the choice. He uses it anyways and so he only has to forfeit 1 guy. I forfeit Palpy or Horox. I then drop tank and battle with Mothma, retrieving senator I lost with DTF. This clears senate with Mothma going to tank. Before the ROPs game, I likely would have just reinforced senate and likely lost. However, I learned from that match up that I need to accept that lost sometimes if it can benefit me. Here I make him use card #2 on Justice. This is huge when we get to the end of the game and I can take out his guys with attrition. However, he keeps hitting mine and I've lost a ton of force from them. I should have put in that immediate effect but forgot. One turn I go to attack Vader at the 3/2 and he plays YAB on my guy. He then drops Dr. E and Broken Fett on me and battles, but I remind him that I'm still YAB. My turn, I clash Vader, hit Dr. E and send used. I then cause a few overflow on Fett since Justice was empty here. I also retrieved the clash when I battled from DTF and used 3PO to get it back. He didn't seem happy when I went for it again a few turns later and he grabbed/sensed it. I didn't have my sense or alter to stop it. Game is going long and we end up timing out on his turn. I cause what damage I can on mine and send my senators used from the political effects. We count and we're tied again. Go to lost piles and I pull out another win.

TW 6-2

So I know I've made day for sure and start to wonder what place. I know Aaron and Nick had traded wins so if they got another loss who knows. I go check and Aaron and I are tied at 6-2 but Nick is 7-1. Aaron's SoS is higher from playing Nick twice and I didn't play him at all. So I know I'm 3rd. I just kind of sit around and chat with people until Joseph gets it all settled. I find out I'm playing Richards. Great. I'm like 2-10 since I've come back against him. In every loss, Mike has just pounced on any mistake and beaten me soundly. Not something to look forward to when you haven't practiced that much either. Also, I find out that Baroni will play Aaron in the other match up from my side of the bracket. So if I some how get past Mike, I have to play the winner of that game. I'm definitely the underdog on my side of the bracket. Meanwhile, I find out that Bobby squeaked in and has to play Nick. So 4 Texas players in top 8 and we all play in round 1. Sigh. So at this point, I realized I haven't really eaten anything since lunch on Friday. James/Blake stop off at Whataburger and pick me up something. I drive back to James' house as does Bobby and JW.

I talk with James about decks. Bobby decides on his rather quickly. I know I can't get away with senate/senate again, or likely shouldn't chance it. I didn't think light senate would do well against ties either. I switch to LSC racing because its a deck I'm comfortable with. James suggests using Steve's MPC deck since we're all tired and not really wanting to put a lot of thought into it. So I do. I thought about doing walkers but decide I'd rather go with spice clouds. I'm familiar with the deck enough to do well I thought. So we grab Herold’s MPC list. I change one card in taking out the Tarkin’s bounty for he is not ready combo. Finish decks and go to crash. However, I just can’t fall asleep. I got kicked to the air mattress since Blake took the bed. So I get up and do some sample hands with Spice and notice my combat response says talon roll is canceled. Umm what the hell is that v slip doing on my combat response. I take it out and am good to go. I finally crash around 4:30ish and am up at 8. Bleh. Not how I wanted things to go for sure.

In any case, we get there and I fill out decklists because I didn’t bring forms with me that night. Then I relax and get ready to play Mike. Mike and I talk for a bit. I tell him I’m playing LSC racing and spice clouds. He says communing but not chewmunning and spice clouds. So I tell him I’ll pick LSC first so I can watch how he plays spice ☺ He laughs and that is what I do.

Top 8
Mike with spice clouds

He has the same start and almost same deck as me. It’s a few cards different though. So I pay attention to what he does, but then Mike makes a pretty big mistake. He is searching for stuff in his deck and grabbing what he can pull on turn 2 and then goes to spice. He then goes to deploy a kessel card and ends up having to play the extraction facility. He mistook the cloud device as the kessel one. This allows me to drop Obi v and his LS there to stop him from looping stuff. I ask Mike if he is deliberately playing bad so I’ll mess up and he’ll win by more in game 2. He laughs. He then plays ADTFRv and I grab that to stop more damage mitigation. I didn’t care about the other used interrupts so I thought this was best. He also doesn’t have the combat shield, so I’m able to drain for 3 once with Mace and LS. I then have to move him over because Mike dropped an image on one site with Quiggy. I figured he’d pull resistance and I’d have to move anyways, so I moved sooner. I win the race and retrieve as well. Game is quite close. We’ve mitigated a ton of damage and are pretty equal. I then make a colossal mistake. I drop Luke JK to Kessel and move Obi over to take out Empy. He already had Arica there at the extraction site, and would eventually drop U3PO at the other. What I should have done was just ignore that site and drop Luke to the racing site to stop him from ever being able to satisfy BP that I pulled. I had Yoda but forgot he had to deploy to Naboo and since this was Steve’s list and not mine I forgot I didn’t have spare characters outside of the jedi. Normally I’ll have a Corran or something else. I’d also have an on the edge as well. In any case, this allows Mike to satisfy BP later. Back to the game though, he plays a dark maneuver combo to force lighting Obi. After he activates 1 though, I bith shuffle and mess up his tracking, so he doesn’t. I then whack Empy and down comes U3PO. We’re just going a long through the motions I said above and time is called on Mike’s turn. He draws his last card and that’s it. However, he then says why would I draw when its time. I agree and he puts it back. We count cards and he has 1 more than me. Hah. He’d have won by lost pile though which we count just in case I win by 1 too. I tell Joseph he should mark it like that because I’ve already had 5 games this weekend go to that tie breaker. We all get a laugh out of it.

TL -1

So Mike and I just spent 1 hour and 20 minutes for nothing. Weee. We take a short break and get back to the next game.

Game 2
Spice clouds vs Communing (MPC Chu style)

So I’m not sure what Mike is doing. Mike is always whacky with vehicles, ships and guns. So I start out doing what I’m supposed to. However, I get to protocol failure his 3PO w/ parts and go find the extraction facility so I can put it out when I want to. I also have a lightsaber def so I play that to pull another card and then another to pull a 3rd card. I basically pull all my setup so I don’t miss and can start damage ASAP. So I flash Black Leader turn 1 and use her to pull another ship. Pull clouds. Play Kessel, storm clouds, clouds and the device all turn 1. He gets home 1 out at Tat, so I drop some guys to Kessel. He also dropped a gun on home 1. I stick with my game plan but he moves home 1 over before I can drain at Kessel. I don’t have a guy to get past the ability 6 needed to draw destiny and Mike saved 2 force for Yoda at the city outskirts so I retreat. I play image on the outskirts and thus starts the longest most ridiculous game ever. He has bargawins retrieving stuff, and is mitigating the damage well. I’m doing the same to him and stacking cards as much as I can. I’m also starting some loops on mine. After he deploys another guy with Yoda, I drop the facility and the admin and move Empy over to start getting cards back and cause more damage. I’m winning the race, although very, very slowly. We go through a ton of turns largely ignoring one another. I’m doing more damage but he is satisfying battle plan. He goes and drops Leia and I need to get a tracked destiny to take her out with force lightning. But I needed all my force just to do everything it felt like. Somehow I get Maul with stick on Kessel chasing Leia around but not sure how or why. He gets Padme out and starts to cause more damage but its getting a bit late. He finally drops to 2 cards in hand and I hit him with a limited resources. I also zap Leia to cause more damage and he concedes since I finally broke through.

FW by more than 1

So now I’m in the top 4. I knew Baroni won when Aaron came over during match 2. I take a quick break and get ready to play Baroni. I asked Mike what I should play and he said play dark first. I think in hindsight, it would have been better to play LSC first and dark 2nd just because I was so drained and the dark deck needs more thinking than the light. I also find out that Bobby upset Nick and that Shaw won. I was going to take a few more minutes but they had already started so Baroni and I sit down to play.

Top 4
Spice vs Chewmunning

So I sit down with Baroni and get ready to play. I’m still pretty drained from the last game. He pulls 3PO and I once again play protocol failure 3 times to pull my stuff as in the previous game. I set up in the clouds, but with 1 ship at each. I didn’t do this in the game with Mike, and I think it was a mistake. I relied on all power, talon roll and ghhhk if he came into the clouds. He never did though. I had drawn some good ground early and used it to make attacks on him. The problem though was I kept forgetting I’m sorry damage. As I said, I was drained. He told me this after the game and I just about died. I’m glad he did though. The best way to get better is to take your beatings from good players and learn. We learn more from losses than we do from wins. There was a saying from Rounders “In "Confessions of a Winning Poker Player," Jack King said, "Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career." It seems true to me, cause walking in here, I can hardly remember how I built my bankroll, but I can't stop thinking of how I lost it.” It’s true too. It’s hard to remember your mistakes when you win a game. It’s quite easy when you lose to recall your games. In any case, even with me forgetting, I’m ahead in the race. What stops it though is when I make a play to go for a bigger win and take a risk. Baroni finds a super out though, one that I didn’t see until he started to go for it. Then I had to hope he didn’t have the cards. I had stacked DTF, along with Padme but that isn’t really relevant to this play but why I was ahead in the race. So he puts DTF back and I only have 1 forced saved. I upload a card because retrieving would cost one and it would stop me from ghhhking during battle. He also plays use the force to get me to grab it and I don’t. He then tracks the DTF around to 3PO it into hand and drops it. Drops Corran on my spice admin and Chewie to go with Leia against Vader w/LS. He battles at both but doesn’t cause the overflow I wasn’t expecting but he does wipe my ground and there isn’t much I can do. He ends up winning by 22. I don’t know if I would have won by remembering I’m sorry damage, but it wouldn’t have been a loss by 22. In fact, it would have likely lead to a win because I wouldn’t have taken the risk I did by trying to get ahead with the admin.

So we take a break and then shuffle up for game 2.

LSC Racing vs HDv

This is pretty basic. We setup and build hands. I get ahead in the race to win when I want to. He drops multiple guys to sites and I can’t win combats by enough to rid naboo of his guys. I did once, but that was it. He gets to space first though and has Galen’s fighter with Black Leader and Thrawn on it. I assume he has one beautiful thing to stop me from taking it out with HC&F. I also don’t have enough force to upkeep if I survive. Since that is the only space Steve played, I’m kind of stuck. I think if I had built my own, I’d have thrown in Home 1 and Ackbar for 1 HC&F and something else. Just to have that staying power without upkeep. Anyways, I’m kind of shut out in this game and I know it. I take some risks in my play but Steve sets up well. He goes for a beat down and even out SACs me but draws Empy on the first sense draw and fails. I draw mine and win. So I avoid the beat down. He gets another one though at the end of the game and rather than calculate everything, I just concede.

We recount some of the game and he helps me pick up on some things I could have done. It’s things like that that shows what a great community that we have. In some other games, the top players are just pricks to unknown players. They don’t take the time to talk about things. It wasn’t just Steve this weekend either, Aaron and Shaw both did the same. This is what makes this game great. The game is fun but the community is where it’s at.

So Shaw advances as well. He got in a bunch of beat downs against ROPs after grabbing ghhhhk. He won by a bunch first game too. I forget what happened in the 2nd game though. So they work out a deal and Shaw gets his victory. We do our prize support since everyone else had already done this. I hang out for a bit but I leave shortly after because I have a 3 hour drive home and got about 5-7 hours of sleep for the whole weekend.

Props:
Shaw for winning the main event. He got over the hump. Thanks again for playing with 59 cards and letting me finally beat you.
Baroni for the games and helping me get better. I appreciate it.
Aaron for being my teammate and lending me a deck. Sorry I went 1-2. I tried though as evident by my loss pile losses.
Mike, Nick and Joseph for hosting, getting it set up and hosting the event.
James for the above as well but for also letting me stay there, helping me build my day 2 decks and lending me all the cards.
Nick for lending me shields.
Bobby/JW for coming back. It was a lot of fun just hanging out with people who remember the good ol’ days.
Blake for showing up and showing me his scar.
All my opponents for great games and times

Thanks to everyone who came and flew in. It was nice hanging out with everyone again or meet you for those first timers and it was a lot of fun.

SolaGratia

Re: 3rd place TR

Post by SolaGratia »

Thanks for such an extensive write up. Looking forward to reading it and learning a thing or two.

:)

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

Wait a minute

We were in a SW tournament this weekend? What happened? Robbie could you write up some kind of tournament report so I can know what was going on?
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

Never mind, I just saw your original post. I was confused.
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

I didn't think you'd remember leaving Austin this weekend so I wrote this up to help remind you.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

rhendon wrote:the top players are just pricks to unknown players. They don’t take the time to talk about things. It wasn’t just Steve this weekend either, Aaron and Shaw both did the same.
Yeah, those guys are all pretty much jerks. :) Glad you had a nice time.
mikefrench wrote:i'm an idiot who can't control himself.

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Nice write up and congrats on the strong finish

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

Thanks for the TR!
Top Finishes:
-2018 Endor Grand Prix Team Tournament 2nd Place
-2012 SC States 2nd Place
-2011 Malastare Regionals 2nd Place
-2010 Malastare Regionals 3rd Place

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Nice TR, I never remember that much about a game by the time I start the next ones.

FYI - On day 2, that LSC HDv matchup is tough. I don't even think there's much you can do besides try to limit your losses.

I picked LSC at the MPC expecting to see ROPs, Walkers, SYCFA and maybe Spice Ties or Sokols Assassins list (withe old one w Maul), and not much HDv in my bracket. Based on those expectations matchups I cut some of the space from Emil's list based on my game plan.

As a result I did fine, by you could probably have used another HCF or GLinG1. I guess it goes to show you that no 60 cards will work perfectly for any event and there's always something that should be tweaked.

But hey you had a solid run going 6-2 day 1 and getting into the top 4 of day 2.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

stevetotheizz0 wrote:Nice TR, I never remember that much about a game by the time I start the next ones.

FYI - On day 2, that LSC HDv matchup is tough. I don't even think there's much you can do besides try to limit your losses.

I picked LSC at the MPC expecting to see ROPs, Walkers, SYCFA and maybe Spice Ties or Sokols Assassins list (withe old one w Maul), and not much HDv in my bracket. Based on those expectations matchups I cut some of the space from Emil's list based on my game plan.

As a result I did fine, by you could probably have used another HCF or GLinG1. I guess it goes to show you that no 60 cards will work perfectly for any event and there's always something that should be tweaked.

But hey you had a solid run going 6-2 day 1 and getting into the top 4 of day 2.
Ya. There were a couple of things I would have changed if I wasn't building 2 decks that night since everything James had, I had never played before.

I always play with Corran. Although here, it may have been good to play that new interrupt spy card. I could have gotten rid of Nevar then. Home 1 would have helped as well. I always like 1 on the edge and possibly a flash of insight just for retrieval when I need it. Possibly a Leia, RP as well.

Stacking the sense on the racer turn 1 was terrible luck.

I knew going in that it wasn't the best LS, but I didn't have any other ideas. I expected Mike to play DDs or Spice Clouds. Figured this was a good match up for him. I wasn't going to look past him and see what Baroni or Nelson would have played. I didn't even think I'd get past Mike. If Nelson wins, maybe I have better match ups too. I think I should have just played better in the first game.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

I think you were more worried about HDv w. senate than necessary, or else your Senate is constructed in a very different way than mine.

Regardless, excellent read.
Well, Bye.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

4.5 stars.

Good read (+10 tp, Lightsaber)
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Airdog2003

Post by Airdog2003 »

Cool read. Thanks for posting and for teaming with me Friday night during the Team Tournament. Congrats on your 3rd place finish.
Kevbozzz wrote: And he rose out of the ashes of scrubdom, like a mighty Phoenix.
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!
Props to my Lakers - 2009 & 2010 World Champions...suck it Boston!

Image Image

Return to “Texas Mini Worlds - April 19-21”