Fox and Hound
12802 Gulf Freeway, 2nd Floor
Houston, TX 77034
Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

14th Place TR

Post by Anodos »

So I was sitting at my house on Friday night and Robbie called me and told me that TMW was the next day. This was news to me. I wanted to go, but I didn't have any decks yet and I hadn't played in about a year so I wasn't even sure what was good anymore. Robbie and I talk on the phone for a few hours about strategy. He wanted me to play my tauntauns on tatooine for LS and disco court for DS, but I know Aaron Nelson will be there and he will probably be playing watto and some weird version of WYS V that no one understands so I decide not to play my two favorite decks. Instead I settle on hyper drive and cct ig-88. I get to work building them and it takes the rest of the night because none of my cards are organized.

The drive from Austin to Houston is about two and a half hours so I start out at around 8. I get real hungry on the way so I stop at McDonalds and get a chicken biscuit. I'm not supposed to eat this because my heart is all stupid but I did anyways. About an hour down the road I get hungry again and since I haven't put back on the 50 pounds I lost after the surgery I decide to stop again at a gas station and I get a pack of little chocolate donuts because they are the breakfast of champions. I found a pack with two bonus donuts because 6 isn't enough for Americans. I bought them and started out again.

Houston is the worst. I hit the city limits which is still like 90 miles from the tournament location. Its a Saturday morning so of course theres a ton of traffic. I get in the general location of the tournament and get lost because its in a dumb place. I pull up to a Lowes and ask some day laborers where the tournament was. I don't speak Spanish very well and when I asked them "El Elefante is gris y grande" they look at me like I was crazy. I still can't find the place so I call James Barnes and ask him where it was. Of course James isn't any help so he gives the phone to Mike and he guides me into the parking lot just in time to start. We can't start though because I don't have my deck lists filled out. I get to work and muscle through some pretty intense hand cramps to finish the lists. While I'm filling the lists out JW Millet and Bobby Hilbun come up to me and start to chat. I haven't seen these guys in years so it was really good to see them. The last time I saw them we had kind of a falling out, but I guess time heals all wounds because neither of them held what I did to them against me.

1st Game

My Hyper Drive vs Greg Shaws AOBS

I had never met Greg before and I found him charming. It turned out we are both nuts about camping so we had a lot to talk about during our game. He is thinking of moving to Houston for work and I tried to talk him out of it. The pollution and long drive times will take years off your life. We play for a little bit and he does some stuff and comes down to the junk yard with some guys and I have other guys there. We battle a few times then the game is over. I counted my remaining cards and Greg told me we don't do that anymore. I think I won, but I don't understand SoS so I'm not sure if I did or not.

2nd Game

My CCT IG-88 vs Steve Izzos TIGIH

AWESOME I GET TO PLAY STEVE! I'm really pumped about getting to play him because I'm tired of his constant bragging on the forums and want to put him into his place. I don't say a word to him the entire game. Whenever I force drain or something I just point at the location and hold up the amount he needs to lose there. There are some interactions during the game and tarkin was out doing something with a leader so there were a couple of battle destinies? Steve ends up winning easily and I get pissed off. I can't believe I lost to him.

3rd Game

My Hyper Drive vs John Andersons Assassins

I have never seen this deck before. I have no idea what it does or how it flips. I decide not to look at the objective and instead to blindly follow whatever John says his deck does. John is very tall. I don't really respect people who are taller than me because they are always trying to lord over me and tell me what to do. Thats why I like Robbie. Hes not tall at all. I deploy obi and some other guys and John deploys at the DS cantina that he puts on the wrong planet. He puts two of maras sabers on mara then drains me for like 4 the next turn. He then comes down to one of my guys and makes me draw destiny. Then for some reason I have to lose my jedi along with 4 force and he flips. He makes me lose force the rest of the game and he wins.

4th Game

My CCT IG-88 vs Matt Wehners MWYHL podracing, we're doomed, only testing the fist jedi test and uses the training site

I like Matt. He used to live in Austin before his wife got a job in Houston. He is a movie reviewer and before he left he took me to see the new spider man movie a few days before it came out. It was awesome and he explained to me why it was better than spider man 3. I still don't understand the game we had. He was playing the non v MWYHL and was pod racing. I didn't know what to do so I just sat there and stared at him for a long time. He kept playing stupid interrupts then after I grabbed one he started playing we're doomed and it could be worse. This game drained me physically and mentally. I guess I won, but I'm still not 100 % sure.

5th Game

My Hyper Drive vs Bobby Hilbuns RALOPS

Bob deployed a bunch of little guys and played stuff like out flanked. I kept trying to fight him, but each of his destinies was like +7 or something. I don't think this game lasted long, but I really can't remember. During the game Bob told me he was getting married and he wanted me to come to his bachelor party. Its a LAN, but I'm not sure if I'm going to go or not because I'm not a fan of video games and the last LAN I went to was years ago and I couldn't play because I was running windows 98 and couldn't make my computer see the network. Maybe its easier to network computers now, but I'm not sure if I want to go through all the hassle to find out. Bob won because hes a better player than me.

6th Game

My CCT IG-88 vs Allen Gaibles WYS v

Allen has had a few drinks by now and his heart isn't in the game. We both order something to eat during the game and catch up since its been a year since we last saw each other. I told him the story about how I spent 1800 bucks fixing my daughters cat and he told me I was stupid for doing that. The only characters he drew all game were jedi luke and dash. I won because of this. He had a huge hand from drawing so much and once he had half his deck in his hand he gave up. He showed me his reserve deck and it was nothing but characters.

6th and 7th Games

Me vs James Barnes

James inspires me because hes a little further along in going bald than I am and hes not letting it ruin his life. He is confident and funny even though his unborn son has more hair than he does. I haven't beat James in years. Our first game I just force drained him a lot and ended up winning. He couldn't handle my excellent game play. At this point I am 4 and 3 and if I win the next game I might somehow make it to day 2. I try to talk James into just giving up because I've had a hard year and this would make me feel better, but he didn't want to. He ended up winning. I don't remember anything about that game because I had already played 7 games and after 8 games I turn into a giggling pile of mush. I go 4 and 4 along with 22 other people and end up not making day 2.

James needs a ride to his house because his wife dropped him off that morning so I agree to give him a ride to his place. He feels bad about beating me so we stop at what-a-burger and he buys me a chocolate milkshake. On our way I ask him how far he lives from the tournament and he tells me 40 MINUTES!!! I hate Houston. Its so late when we get to his place that James offers me a bed that night. I didn't want to drive all the way back to Mikes place so I take him up on it. Bob, JW and Robbie are also staying there. Bob and Robbie made day 2 so they stay up working on stuff. I have to take sleeping pills to sleep so I take one and then take off all my clothes. Robbie says I can have his bed because he doesn't want to see me anymore. I wake up the next morning and James gives me a waffle maker that makes chicken shaped waffles. I want to get home so I head out soon after and get more little chocolate donuts and an orange soda on the way home.

Props

Tom Landry
Mike Richards
Joseph Graham

Slops

Team Stephenville
People not wanting to touch my chest scar
Not drinking water all day
15 shields
James for not throwing the game for me

Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Re: 14th Place TR

Post by stephengascrub »

Yes! +10,000 points for using Hyperdrive. Sorry you didn't have better results Blake, but I enjoyed the read.
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

I lol'd several times. I want to meet you again, Blake. I'll even touch your scar. Hopefully you won't be offended if I use hand sanitizer afterwards.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Oh, man... My sides hurt... Brilliant use of understatement... "John is very tall. I don't respect people who are taller than me..."

"I took a sleeping pill to sleep and took off all my clothes..."

Man, you so funny!
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Oh, man... My sides hurt... Brilliant use of understatement... "John is very tall. I don't respect people who are taller than me..."

"I took a sleeping pill to sleep and took off all my clothes..."

I love how there are several paragraphs that use words that are often found in SWCCG tournament reports yet, there are no details about SWCCG... How did you do that?

Man, you so funny!
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

stephengascrub

Post by stephengascrub »

K, so honestly the first time I read this I just scanned it and saw Hyperdrive, didn't make day 2, I'll give the guy props.

Well, after actually reading this for real, I have to say this was an awesome report Blake. I actually enjoyed how it dealt more with people, etc. then the game. The fact that there was very little SWCCG in there and I found it entertaining was awesome.

Also, boo tall people! I played John Anderson at NAC and he is tall! I like short people; I'm 5'7" on a good day.

Thanks for the read man!
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

John Anderson and I see eye to eye. Tall's where it's at. ;)
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

PLEASE submit this in the community section so we can keep this forever.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

stephengascrub

Post by stephengascrub »

6'4"-6'5" sounds about right to me, from what I can recall. Someone who actually knows John or from MN/ND feel free to correct me. And yeah, Hayes is really tall.
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

stephengascrub wrote:6'4"-6'5" sounds about right to me, from what I can recall. Someone who actually knows John or from MN/ND feel free to correct me. And yeah, Hayes is really tall.
yeah, seems about right, as I think I'm just an inch or two taller than John.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

You lost to Steve-o? For shame....

James was right to keep you out of the top 8.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Blake giggled like a little school girl when he deployed the Death Star that he had been floating in his deck.

The man was a gentleman and a scholar to play swccg with.

jcb213
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jcb213 »

Jeeps wrote: "I took a sleeping pill to sleep and took off all my clothes..."
This is no joke.
James Barnes

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

Great and different TR. Made me laugh.
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

sjacree

Post by sjacree »

sjacree wrote:PLEASE submit this in the community section so we can keep this forever.
bump.

It would be a shame to lose this. Funniest thing I've read on the forums in a long time. Had me and my wife in tears (and she knows nothing of star wars).
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

Whats the community section?
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Anodos wrote:Whats the community section?
It's in your mom's pants
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

sjacree

Post by sjacree »

Follow this link, click on the Submit Content Here! button and copy/paste the TR before submitting it. Thanks.
Image Image

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

sjacree wrote:
Follow this link, click on the Submit Content Here! button and copy/paste the TR before submitting it. Thanks.

I never even knew that section existed. The layout is pretty ugly though.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

Jeeps wrote:
It's in your mom's pants
Your wit has bested me again!
Blake Huffman

Return to “Texas Mini Worlds - April 19-21”