Post by Reid Re: Decklists

Sheraton Needham Hotel
100 Cabot St, Needham, MA 02494
RybackStun
GEMP Username: RybackStun

Re: Post by Reid Re: Decklists

Post by RybackStun »

imrahil327 wrote:The TD and I have talked to Nick about it. He has had an emergency situation come up and will not be able to rectify it for a few days, but he is aware of our displeasure.
Not to pick on anyone specific, (partially because I'm new) but will there be a standard for legibility in the future with Decklists? I'm not so worried about acronyms and such, as those are easier to figure out, but more the ability to actually read someone's decklist due to poor handwriting.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

We try to catch that where we can, but especially at big events it's difficult to track everyone down.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

JediJer wrote: As someone who often relies on decks of top finishers to help me get ideas for my own version of a proven deck, I was rather disappointed to see Nick's decklists written out like this
Not sure what the part before the comma has to do with the part after the comma. Checking that dude's decklists for ideas is not scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's looking underneath the barrel.

Throdo

Post by Throdo »

Knowing Nick, he was just having a bit of fun with the lists and will have no problem providing the decklist to anyone who wants it. I have TD'd many tournaments that he turned in decklists for and there was never any problems with any aspect of tournament rules adherence.

Hobbie
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor

Post by Hobbie »

Throdo wrote:Knowing Nick, he was just having a bit of fun with the lists and will have no problem providing the decklist to anyone who wants it. I have TD'd many tournaments that he turned in decklists for and there was never any problems with any aspect of tournament rules adherence.
That seems easy, considering there aren't any rules...
--Nate Davis

Recommended traders: Phil78, Hunter, sac89837, Avatari, biffpow, Atma, rYyIrisH, categoryonegames.com, DarkQug, yannedern, Tom Bombadil, Bryan-Irish
Aglets wrote:Hobbie's got it.
Kevbozzz wrote:What the hell is the "home page"? I don't see any sub-forum by that name.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

There's still an existing tournament guide...there are indeed tournament rules.

Pistone84

Post by Pistone84 »

At first I couldn't believe that we actually needed a two page thread about this, and then I realized of course we did because people are stupid.

This * isn't hard. Write the * card's name down. Use the * vslips that we're all supposed to use, and use the card titles that we all use.

The Honky Tonk Man

Post by The Honky Tonk Man »

Who is macgyver again? Nick Hickey?

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

The Honky Tonk Man wrote:Who is macgyver again? Nick Hickey?
Nick Culpepper, CBT team lead.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Same person. Pretty sure it's hyphenated, Culpepper-Hickey
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

spideyguy0 wrote:Same person. Pretty sure it's hyphenated, Culpepper-Hickey
No relation to Charles? If he's related to Charles, I would have to start being nicer to him, and that would be disappointing.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

This seems such an easy problem to solve.

let's say that there are 40 players. That is 80 pages. One person in about two minutes can skim these into two piles: "OK" & "Question".

Let's say that then out of the 80, there are about 20 that are problematic in that they are unreadable or contain obvious BS card names, or people trying to be cute, then those can be reviewed again. Seperate into "passable" and "require change" piles.

Each player who has an "require change" decklist gets handed the decklist after the first game. They have until the second game starts to re-write the decklist correctly and legibly. If they can't finish by the time of the second game, they take an automatic loss.

In less than 90 minutes or so from collecting decklists you would solve the problem permanently. You would have legible decklists and no more idiotic juvenile card names at furture tournaments.

This simply takes the PC to decide its important for the game to be even marginally professionally run.
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

mserisman wrote:This seems such an easy problem to solve.

let's say that there are 40 players. That is 80 pages. One person in about two minutes can skim these into two piles: "OK" & "Question".

Let's say that then out of the 80, there are about 20 that are problematic in that they are unreadable or contain obvious BS card names, or people trying to be cute, then those can be reviewed again. Seperate into "passable" and "require change" piles.

Each player who has an "require change" decklist gets handed the decklist after the first game. They have until the second game starts to re-write the decklist correctly and legibly. If they can't finish by the time of the second game, they take an automatic loss.

In less than 90 minutes or so from collecting decklists you would solve the problem permanently. You would have legible decklists and no more idiotic juvenile card names at furture tournaments.

This simply takes the PC to decide its important for the game to be even marginally professionally run.

I'm not a big name player, nor do I travel to a lot of big events, but I think this is a really sound idea. I would love to see something like this done for at least the "big" events...i.e. Nationals/Continentals, Worlds, the MPC, or any event with 30+ people.
Top Finishes:
-2018 Endor Grand Prix Team Tournament 2nd Place
-2012 SC States 2nd Place
-2011 Malastare Regionals 2nd Place
-2010 Malastare Regionals 3rd Place

Decipher ELO Ratings:
Highest: 1696
Final: 1656

OCS Records:
2020: 10-38
2019: 6-18

Scrabble: 1738 (354-207)

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

players really shouldn't be looking at each other's decklists prior to the tournament, especially not for such a questionable benefit
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

WiseMarsellus wrote:players really shouldn't be looking at each other's decklists prior to the tournament, especially not for such a questionable benefit
Maybe I missed where this was taking place?
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

WiseMarsellus wrote:players really shouldn't be looking at each other's decklists prior to the tournament, especially not for such a questionable benefit
I think Mike's idea (which I like) is that this is something that could be done by the TD during game 1 of Day 2 in lieu of traditional deck checks, which would take much longer.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

This "story" broke over 2 weeks ago and Worlds is now a week away. Still no word from the Tournament Committee. Silence is acceptance, apparently deck lists like these are OK for Worlds?!
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

kcaton
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by kcaton »

Not on the tournament committee, but as a the TD for worlds I can say if a list like this were pulled for a deck check it would be a big problem since it can't legitimately BE subjected to a deck check. So I can safely say that anyone thinking of trying something like this at worlds is running a HUGE risk of game loss, dq, or worse if they're checked (i.e., not worth it). That said, swapping in a skim of the lists for deck checks in the first round is also definitely doable if the whole list is off but might not catch a card or two being "funny" on a list.

But seriously, just don't be d*cks.

agnos

Post by agnos »

kcaton wrote: But seriously, just don't be d*cks.
Uh... Kim. You know that you, Candace and the 16-year-old cheerleaders are the only females to show up to SW events. What do you expect?

kcaton

Post by kcaton »

I meant d*cks about decklists. Obv the rest is unavoidable :P

Return to “Worlds - August 8-11”