Sheraton Needham Hotel
100 Cabot St, Needham, MA 02494
allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Everyone who is going to worlds please read:

Post by allstarz97 »

Hi,

I hesitated in writing this because I feel like it might create a firestorm of witch hunt type posts and that isn't the intent. And if this thread takes that vein, I am respectfully asking the moderators to lock it. Ok, let's get to the point:

Don't cheat.
Don't do shady stuff. Don't slow play. Don't mark your sleeves. Don't forget to remember your cards when you really do. Don't over activate. Don't spend 8 force then take back 9. Just play by the book. Mistakes happen, this game is mentally draining sometimes and you accidentally mess up. I drained with the profit objective on the zero side and no obiwan in the FINALS of a world championship, so mistakes happen. But just don't be shady.

Over the past year or so I've heard rumors of some top level players doing weird stuff, seen it myself in some occasions. Again, this thread is not about identifying who and creating a with hunt. This thread is a preemptive strike. For anyone who has purposely done shady stuff let me say this, people see it. We're not dumb, we see it. We talk about it.It's not funny, it's not something you should take an ounce of pride in "pulling the wool over someones eye. People think less of you, you lose respect. You lose respect amongst people you call your friends. If I see someone cheating against my friends I can't say what would happen, but trust me, it won't be a good thing for you (truthfully it will probably involve Steve, Harpster, you, and a dark alley).

If you cheat and beat jonny chu, did you really beat him? If you cheat and win worlds, did you really win it?

This game, for whatever reason means a lot to all of us. Let's keep it as pure as possible, the competition is awesome, I really enjoy playing against Reid, hate his guts, but really like playing against him because he's on the up and up and I know it will be my best vs. his best and no other factors are going to come into play.

So that's really all I got to say. I'll see everyone is two weeks.

-KToD out.

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Re: Everyone who is going to worlds please read:

Post by gogolen »

I like it- sometimes we all need a little reminder that there is more at stake than just a trophy.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Good post Justin. I have a question for the field as far as what qualifies as cheating and I'm curious how people feel. A couple weeks ago I was playing a tournament game against someone who will remain nameless. He was playing HD (V) and had Juno and Thrawn on Galen's Fighter. I battle him and he plays One Beautiful Thing to add a power destiny and reduce attrition against him to 0. I draw like 10 total for battle destiny. I forfeit what I need to forfeit and he then, without being prompted, proceeds to scoop up Juno and Thrawn and place them in his lost pile. I decline to say anything. I probably won the game because of this. Did I cheat?
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

allstarz97 wrote: If I see someone cheating against my friends I can't say what would happen, but trust me, it won't be a good thing for you (truthfully it will probably involve Steve, Harpster, you, and a dark alley)
MA is definitely the one place I have carte blanche with the police

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

spideyguy0 wrote:Good post Justin. I have a question for the field as far as what qualifies as cheating and I'm curious how people feel. A couple weeks ago I was playing a tournament game against someone who will remain nameless. He was playing HD (V) and had Juno and Thrawn on Galen's Fighter. I battle him and he plays One Beautiful Thing to add a power destiny and reduce attrition against him to 0. I draw like 10 total for battle destiny. I forfeit what I need to forfeit and he then, without being prompted, proceeds to scoop up Juno and Thrawn and place them in his lost pile. I decline to say anything. I probably won the game because of this. Did I cheat?
unless you won the battle by 6 or more, then yes
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

abanger0
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: abanger
GEMP Username: abanger

Post by abanger0 »

gogolen wrote:I like it- sometimes we all need a little reminder that there is more at stake than just a trophy.
I should've let you forget about Klorslug ;)

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

ps if you're using han's toolkit v, don't "forget" that your own effects are suspended too

;)

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

every time Desai posts in an event thread, it makes me want to go.
Well, Bye.

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

I would love to see active judging for top 8 games (though I fully recognize the fact that sometimes 3 sets of eyes can miss things).

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

Hayes wrote:I would love to see active judging for top 8 games (though I fully recognize the fact that sometimes 3 sets of eyes can miss things).
<3
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

stealtheblind
GEMP Username: shaw67193

Post by stealtheblind »

darkjediknight11 wrote:ps if you're using han's toolkit v, don't "forget" that your own effects are suspended too

;)
keithface
Gregory Shaw

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

Hayes wrote:I would love to see active judging for top 8 games (though I fully recognize the fact that sometimes 3 sets of eyes can miss things).
you coming up for this?

#holidayinn

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

allstarz97 wrote:
you coming up for this?

#holidayinn
Some call me Mr. Wiggles

retwin316
LS Region: Corellia
LS Region: Corellia

Post by retwin316 »

Interested to hear what more people think about what Casey posted.

My 2 cents... I do not think you cheated. I think it is a question of integrity and personal character. I myself have been in the situation many a times, and I find myself reminding my opponents many a times on their own cards... but that is not my job, it is just who I am. Is it cheating to not remind your opponent what their own cards do? No, not at all... you shouldn't be held responsible for playing your game and their game at the same time... that is ridiculous.

At the same time... if you don't tell them, and you do win that game... did you deserve to win that game? Do you feel like you accomplished anything by winning... or do you feel shame? Personally... I would rather (in my eyes) do the right thing, and lose the game, than say nothing and win, and then spend the rest of the day dwelling on my decision. If I speak up and lose because of it, then I don't have to question myself... but if I don't, and win only because of it, I would question my actions every time I thought about it.

Anywho... that is more than my 2 cents, and I probably made the same point multiple times saying different things, but hey, thats what I do! :p

dorshe1
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1

Post by dorshe1 »

spideyguy0 wrote:Good post Justin. I have a question for the field as far as what qualifies as cheating and I'm curious how people feel. A couple weeks ago I was playing a tournament game against someone who will remain nameless. He was playing HD (V) and had Juno and Thrawn on Galen's Fighter. I battle him and he plays One Beautiful Thing to add a power destiny and reduce attrition against him to 0. I draw like 10 total for battle destiny. I forfeit what I need to forfeit and he then, without being prompted, proceeds to scoop up Juno and Thrawn and place them in his lost pile. I decline to say anything. I probably won the game because of this. Did I cheat?
In my opinion it depends on how you reported your power totals to him. I do not believe that I would end up in this situation becuase at the end of every fight I say -

Power X, Attrition X. In this situation, becuase I know that the opponent played a card that reduced my attrition to Zero, I would report Power X, Attrition 0.

If you stated that your attrition was higher than zero and you knew it should be zero, then yes it would be cheating. If you only announced your power and he misplayed his own cards then it is not cheating. I would err on reminding him myself, but that is becuase I play so poorly that I am always grateful when someone helps me out that I try to return the favor when I actually notice something that they don't.

Thanks!

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

Can't you ignore immunity?

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

The "One Beautiful Thing" scenario resulted in what we might call an illegal game state. It is not legally possible for the DS player to play One Beautiful Thing and then forfeit Juno and Thrawn (unless, as Wise pointed out, DS player was covering battle damage with them, but it sounds like DS wasn't).

I'm not attempting to comment on the ethics of the situation. I'm just stating that the game was not played out in accordance with the rules. So like the first post says, can you really say that you beat someone at SWCCG if you didn't even play a legal game with them?

@DJK if there is attrition against you you can forego immunity on your immune characters, but that's not what happened here
Greg Zinn

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

The "One Beautiful Thing" situation can also be flipped around. Imagine a game where DS would want to forfeit Juno and Thrawn, because we're down to the final turn of a drain race and if they stay on the table LS will win on their turn with drains + Draw Their Fire, but if they are forfeited DS will have 1 life force left and win the game with drains on their turn instead.

It's still an illegal play, but it could benefit either player.

I guess the point of this example is that it's not strictly 1 player's responsibility to watch for this stuff, because you don't always know exactly who will benefit. An illegal play early game could have far-reaching consequences that end up helping the player it looked like it was going to hurt. Unlikely yes, but it's probably happened a few times in real games.
Greg Zinn

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

I don't think the point of this thread was to discuss what seems shady. To quote a once great VS announcer.....Don't be a D*CK

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

I agree that it didn't seem too important, but retwin asked about it.
Greg Zinn

Return to “Worlds - August 8-11”