Jonny Chu's Worlds TR

Sheraton Needham Hotel
100 Cabot St, Needham, MA 02494
mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Jonny Chu's Worlds TR

Post by mryellow »

This is mega long. The sections are broken up so please skip whatever you don't want to read. Decklists for Days 2 and 3 are included. Enjoy.

***********Tourney Prep************

It had been awhile since my last SW:CCG event, the MPC in 2012. Since then I had had another kid and moved from Philly to St Louis with my wife starting a job in one city and me starting one in another. Life events were sidetracking my professional SW:CCG career. Then I heard this year's Worlds were going to be in Boston and I was going to be in Albany during that weekend. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to throw the family burden onto the shoulders of my wife and parents and jettison the kids for a weekend of stress, endless decision-questioning, general chaos and lack of food and sleep: Worlds 2013.

The last time I had played, the meta hadn't included Slave I, Symbol of Fear, Slavers, Scoundrels, the Hoth erratas, etc. so I had a lot of catching up to do. I started looking at lists of events around April and reading cards. Steve Baroni had recently won another MPC with Hunt Down v and TIGIH/Communing - that didn't provide any clarity whatsoever. I had to dig farther than that. Emil Wallin had won worlds with Spice TIEs which was a wtf moment - that was a good place to start. I got caught up fairly quickly and started playtesting regularly with my Albany buddy Mike D'amboise once a week on Holotable. He basically trashed every deck I made with the new and improved Hoth Walkers. I also played some games other games on there, but not too many - Konsker beat me with MKOS, a kid in Minnesota username bryanirish played an Endor Ops deck starting Lone Pilot v that was very interesting. I had to read a lot more cards and puzzle through the meta.

It became abundantly clear to me that light side sucked. Actually, the meta seemed more skewed than any I could remember since Virtual Set 6 when dark side was a veritable punching bag for light. Finding a light deck that could handle the trifecta of Walkers, Slavers, HDv was hard/impossible. Throw in the mix of excellent "secondary" decks like SYCFA, CCT, Endor Ops, ASM - good luck with that. I couldn't find anything that would work.

US Nationals came and went. Reid won with Entanglements/HB Mon Cals without guns and Luke in skyhopper, and Spice mains/Rebel Senate - more decks I didn't really know and had to piece through. There were interesting lists at Alderaan and Toola regionals. Being stuck in St Louis, with my cards in storage in Philadelphia, made it pretty tough to practice but I tried to figure out worst-case or common scenarios in my head and find solutions to problems. Justin Desai and I talked pretty regularly - he was catching up a bit too - and playing games on Holotable with D'amboise also helped. But time was running out.

Desai and I built a version of the Spice TIEs deck in June and cut out all the chaff. He then found the Saber Squadron TIEs/Pilots which are retarded - they add 1 to force drains and draw a power destiny, effectively upping the damage to a non-interactive deck by 50% or more. That deck went through many iterations but remained a very powerful, playable option from around June.

Hoth was also a very playable deck. I messed with the Albany variant that runs Fleet Security Protocol, the 1/0 site and Cyclone Walkers that are completely immune to attrition. But ultimately I didn't like the slots it consumed and wanted some higher destiny. My problem with Hoth was that I figured everyone would have an answer for it and I didn't want to mess with Power Harpoons, Mech Failures or other bullet cards. The year I won Worlds with Agents of the Black Sun, that deck was like the 4th or 5th best deck and fell under the radar. I think only me and Greg Shaw were playing that deck consistently. It did great that event and I wanted to find that best 2nd tier deck that people wouldn't be teching for.

Agnos sent me a list late in July that looked super interesting. It was a CCT deck of 60 random cards that looked like a total pile but played as close to Agents of the Black Sun as I've ever seen. Like on paper it really looks like a starter deck. I got the decklist two weeks before Worlds, played some games with it vs Albany guys and Mike Pistone, and fell in love. That deck became deck #1.

******Finding a Light Side deck******

Light side was more problematic. Hyperdrive was on the radar but I hated how one-sided it was. Profit felt weak and a turn too slow. Aaron Kingery found out that Wars Not Make One Great v defied the One Rule so I spent about a month trying to figure out how to break that deck - I had a list that could set up drains of 3 and 3 at Lar's Farm and the Skyhopper/Luke at Beggar's Canyon, plus 1 or 2 Stone Piles all on turn 1 - and even ordered 10 Inner Strengths from Category1Games before the Rules Committee errata'd the card (for the better) so that was a waste of time. I hated Scoundrels - starting 12 cards on table seemed like a bad idea. Light side space in general was bad - the stacked Alderaan Consular Ship was like 5 cards, two turns of deployment for power 12 or something and most of your best guys, all to hold down a system? There was no way that could hang with the efficiency of self-pulling Boba/combo. The Albany guys were digging deep, involving Fambaa's and Boomas and Jar Jar - it got crazy. Absolutely nuts.

Agnos sent a list two weeks before Worlds of QMC Ellors, which I was completely unfamiliar with, and also a QMC deck that abused the Weather Vane mechanic. I didn't have much time to spend on either deck, but the week before Worlds, Matt Sokol, Aaron Kingery and I were playtesting and the QMC Ellors was doing well against everything but Slavers. Unfortunately I figured Slavers would be pretty prevalent so the deck didn't make the final cut.

One list I had been working on since April was the best platform for Baragwins. I had played a really crappy, untuned version of Baragwins off Communing at the 2012 MPC and it was totally cheesy and appropriate for Day 3. I tweaked it like crazy off Rebel Senate - the idea was to drop the Baragwin package at whatever site Dark Side gave you, hold a system with a powerhouse LS fleet and ping away with Mas Amedda while getting your tricks with Bail. It actually worked OK but seemed really risky, like almost one turn behind or always needing just one or two more force per turn. In July I switched it back to Communing and it worked a lot better although the damage was in some ways more unreliable. Desai and I bounced the deck back and forth and we thought it was playable, but I didn't want to play it Day 2 (too gimmicky) and I don't think he was comfortable with the deck either. But we really had 0 other options. I will post below my original decklist, plus the modifications I made for Emil's Entanglements for Day 3.

When I showed up at Desai's house Thursday night late, he had this strange Sonn MWYHL Jedi Testing deck that Baroni had made. Going first was awesome and when Baroni showed up the next day it tested well against virtually everything. But I just couldn't play a deck I had spent no time thinking about, still had to read the cards for and didn't trust. That's kind of the reason WYS v was never in the mix - even when I had played more often, I never spent any time on that deck and didn't want to play it against people who had spent years with it and knew its in its outs. I figured, better to stick with the familiar.

*************The Team Tourney*************

We tested all the way up to the Team Tourney on Friday and it didn't clear up anything for me. I was teaming with my friend Matt Sokol who was playing WYS v to see if it was an option for him for Day 2. I wanted to do the same thing for CCT. So here we go.

Game 1: CCT vs Justin Desai's Profit.

Desai wanted to test Profit as a possible option for Day 2. I had played this matchup solo a bunch and had a game plan - hold the AC, find Kashyyyk ASAP and set up a beat package with whatever I had. It's awesome that you start flipped for the retrieval; even more awesome to convert the AC first turn every game, and the global destinies +1 (MAY add to boot?!!) are just gravy. He put out Threepio early, Protocol Failure got me Kashyyyk and the Gemmeperor protected against A Gift. I screwed up and Protocol Failure'd Threepio a second time after retrieving it with Deficiency and he let it sit on Threepio which stopped me from looping it to cancel a drain. He tried to fully stack the Moisture Farm with Obi, Luke & saber, Lando with Axe, Leia, Padme, Corran and Chewie but as happens with Profit he didn't have all the pieces together (no Obi saber, no extra utility cards) so I Disarmed Luke with 4-Lom with gun, Elis'd over Mara EPP, Boba SE v, IG & Neural and Darth Maul, dueled away Obi, captured Lando with IG (lose 2), captured Leia, shot Padme, and blew up the squad. His counter beats against a lone Emperor in the AC fizzled because all his guys were deploy +1 (Despair) and Gemmeperor shocked someone and Stunning Leader'd the remainder. This matchup truly is an auto-win and kind of showcased all the problems of Profit.

FW +20something.

Game 2: CCT vs Ryan Jellison's Local Uprising v anti-Hoth anti-Slavers anti-ROPs deck.

As the title says, his deck was an auto-win vs all those matchups but tough for stuff with interior sites. I set up my drain of 3 at the Carbonite Chamber Console and got rolling. Eventually Boba/Jango/Slave I came to Kashyyyk for some steady damage and Maul/Ship and Thrawn/Victory came out to Hoth. I Set For Stun'd a couple of times, one to clear Lando/Lady Luck and forfeit, and another to drain through with a ship with Maul, but the game was largely non-interactive. He couldn't stop my big drains.

FW +20something

Game 3: CCT vs Matt Harrison-Trainor's Communing Mains.

This was a very fun game. He gave me his Jabba's Prize so I didn't to worry about Corran coming down and it also took away an ability four character for Maul. Luke and Lando came down early to the Carbonite Chamber (I left IG and prisoner at the security tower) and I blocked that drain with U-3p0. I set up shop at the Audience Chamber with the Gemmeperor and 4-Lom and pinged away a little bit. At one point he drew up a pretty massive hand and I was feeling it so I Monnok'd lost and got a pair of Escape Pods - bad move on my part in hindsight. He gets Yoda and Chewie down in the Cantina and the turn after gets Ackbar/Home One to Kashyyyk but I stop that with Darth Maul in space. I don't think he has any other ability 4 guys - maybe Padme - he has to kind of awkwardly walk Yoda outside and shuttle him up to Tatooine to stop me in space. We ping each other here and there but then start having these massive space battles where his constant Wookiee Winning and Threepio is starting to set up high destinies and mine are OK because of 4-Lom but I'm losing more stuff because Master Kenobi is putting his guys used more often and he has more character retrieval. There's some jockeying for position, he chases IG a bit on CC and I kill Lando but that basically allows him to re-deploy him to space. Time is called and he has 18 to my 17 for the win in a really well thought-out fun chess match.

TL -1, or -18, however it's calculated.

KtoD goes to get food and talk about decks. Justin and I were poised to play Profit but decide it's not the right deck. We talk about Steve's Sonn MWYHL and love that it goes first, can hang with a variety of decks and using Test 3 is really awesome all the time. I agree, build it, but can't get beind playing it because of lack of familiarity. That night, as Steve and Justin get their light decks in order, I stare at my Communing Baragwins, which I really want to play Day 3 but not Day 2, and go to sleep.

The next morning as I was trying to decide between QMC Ellors and breaking out the Baragwins, it occurred to me playing Communing mains would probably be a wise course of action. The game with Matt H-T highlighted what the deck's strengths are, how balanced it is, and if I did make Day 3, it would be a perfect fakeout for the Baragwins (although not really because I start Cell 2187). I didn't have it built so I borrowed Steve's from the day before, put in the cards he took out for his MWYHL and tweaked it a little bit. After 4+ months of playtesting and stewing over LS, I built the deck the morning of. Awesome.

Dark side was easier. I chose TIEs not because the CCT performed poorly the day before, but because I thought it had a lot of good matchups, was a hard deck to crack, and because the version with the Saber TIEs is different enough that people who had tested against the standard version would possibly handle this one differently and incorrectly. Also, I was hoping for some 20 minute games so I could get food in between. Seriously.

My decklists:

Light Side Communing - this list may be a few cards off. It was Baroni's base build and I didn't have it written down. This should be close.

Start (6)
Tatooine: Slave Quarters
Communing
Master Kenobi
Wokling v
Nick Of Time v (usually)
Anger Fear Aggression v

Locations (4)
Tatooine EP1
Tatooine: Obi-wan's Hut v
Tatooine: Cantina
Home One: War Room

Blue (4)
Home One
Alderaan Consular Ship
Artoo-Detoo in Red 5 x2

Guys (17)
Chewie, Enraged v x2
Chewie, Protector x2
Luke with Lightsaber x2
Luke Skywalker v
Shmi Skywalker
Threepio with Parts Showing
Admiral Ackbar v
Lando Calrissian, Scoundrel v
Yoda, Great Warrior
Han with Heavy Blaster Pistol
Senator Leia Organa
Leia, Rebel Princess
Corran Horn
Padme Naberrie v

Effects (7)
Draw Their Fire
Projection Of A Skywalker
Imperial Atrocity v x2
Seeking An Audience v
Rebel Gunrunner
Strikeforce v

Interrupts (21)
Let The Wookiee Win v x3
Rebel Leadership v x3
Use The Force x2
Either Way You Win v
Control/Tunnel Vision
The Bith Shuffle/Desperate Reach
Inconsequential Barriers
Hear Me Baby, Hold Together v
Escape Pod v x3
Houijx
Grimtaash
Run Luke Run v x2
Lucky Shot v

Other (1)
Chewbacca's Bowcaster

This list should be close.

Dark Side KtoD Spice TIEs

Start (7)
Kessel
Kessel: Spice Mines - Administrator's Office
Combat Readiness v
I'll Take Them Myself
I'm Sorry v
Combat Response v
Knowledge and Defense v

Locations (2)
Storm Clouds
Clouds

Ships (7)
Saber Squadron TIE x3
Saber 1 x2
Saber 4
Obsidian 10 v

Guys (12)
Saber Squadron Pilot x3
Baron Soontir Fel x2
Jango Fett, The Assassin
OS-72-10
U-3p0
Keder The Black x2
Arica
Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith

Effects (6)
Imperial Propaganda v x2
Wipe Them Out, All Of Them v
Image Of The Dark Lord v
Protocol Failure x2

Interrupts (22)
All Power To Weapons x5
Short Range Fighters/Watch Your Back x3
Sonic Bombardment v x3
Abyssin Ornament v x2
Lightsaber Deficiency v x2
Masterful Move
Monnok
Ghhhk x2
Limited Resources
Force Push v
Cold Feet v

Other (4)
Spice Mine Operations
Tibanna Floating Refinery
Kessel Surveillance System
SFS L-s9.3 Laser Cannons

*************** Day 2 ******************

Before the games got started, there was a brief ceremony for the first class of the Hall of Fame. Matt Sokol, whom I've known since the beginning of the game, stood up and gave a very heartfelt introduction. That was a highlight of my SW:CCG career for sure. Baroni did the same for Desai, Chris Menzel for Angelo, and Aaron Nelson for Kevin Shannon. Nice way to start the tourney.

Onto the games:

Game 1: LS vs Ryan Jellison's Dark Senate 12-card hand.

With all the viable dark platforms out there, I didn't pack Scrambled Transmission and it sucked. He flipped first turn with Lott and Aks and pulled the add 3 effect, backed up next turn with Passel. I started Wokling and Draw Their Fire and started to hit and run in the Senate. Senator Leia came down but I couldn't crack them both sadly even with the attrition +2 and Obi put her used; also had to Houjix. I played Use The Force to retrieve the Houjix. This happened a few turns in a row until I couldn't loop my Houjix anymore and needed to do something else. Home One with big guys in space came down and he killed everything but the ship with a stacked Slave I, Guri and Stinger and another ship/guy. I moved away and reloaded. He started draining for big damage and I needed to do something drastic to keep my lead so down went Yoda and Padme to the Cantina. He looked at them, said "really, that's all? Well... they're obviously bait..." thought about what to do and decided against attacking them. That's one instance where I love being Jonny Chu instead of somebody else - being able to get away with completely boneheaded plays. So I got a drain in and hung around long enough to survive when they called time. I think the count was like 21 in my favor to 20 to his or something ridiculously close. I won the game but definitely would not have in the long run.

TW. Felt crappy about it though.

Game 2: DS vs Brian Fred's WYS Raiders.

I think I've only played against Fred's annual WYS raiders deck once, back in 2007 when Agents beat it by like 38 cards. Reegesk stole half his deck in that game. This game was nothing of the sort. I did my TIE thing, setting up a drain of 2 at the Storm Clouds on Kessel. He drew up first turn. I set up again, drained, deployed another TIE to the now-deployed Clouds, pinged, spiced, etc. His turn he plays Han, Innocent Scoundrel to the Spaceport DB with some other scrub, Melas to the Cantina, and a lone Raider to a DB. Then Menace Fades. Then Celebration. Not a great turn for me. He moved up the Falcon, said go, and I went from doing 6 dmg a turn to 4 with 2 retrieval. I at least had Keder the Black to block the Melas drain and an Image to stop the other one. Next turn he played Luke in Artoo and Red 5 and cut my damage down again. I was desperately looking for Masterful Move combo and my lone DVDLOTS to hopefully hold a site, along with any other prayer card that could help me, but I couldn't find anything really. He plays a ship to Corellia, BoShek to Tatooine, and I start to feel more pressure. I try to fight in space with Jango in Saber 4 and Baron but it's really pitiful not drawing 2 battle destinies and he loses like Talon Karrde or some random forfeit 8 guy. So I have to retreat to Kessel and dig more. DVDLOTS finally comes down and chokes Melas, giving me some breathing room next turn; free drains would be nice! I think I get that for one turn before he comes down with Dash, Mirax and another Melas and fights. I have a 4 on top and want to choke Mirax but instead say "choke Melas" and miss, but Fred knows I meant Mirax and loses her anyways because he is a good guy. Vader dies, and in order to keep up pressure next turn I have to break Keder's cover, play a TIE and a Saber Squad pilot to the adjacent docking bay and move over. He comes down with two dudes and luckily I have a Sonic Bombardment so his 5 5 for destinies become 4 4 and I only have to lose to TIE and Keder; Abyssin Ornament v retrieves him into hand to back up the next docking bay next turn. Finally I draw into my Masterful combo and cancel his Tat Cel; I also draw into my SFS Laser Cannon so in one turn I'm able to clear his Falcon and space at Tatooine, take out his retrieval and establish some space superiority. My pings and small drains catch up to him and I win the game on time.

TW in a game I would definitely lose 8-9 times out of 10 if we played again. Props to Fred for being cool about the Mirax/Melas thing where I definitely said Melas.

So now I'm 2-0 where I should be 0-2 and feeling pretty crappy about my prospects going forward. Next game is called, and I'm paired against the future World Champion Justin Desai.

Game 3: LS vs Justin Desai's high destiny Hoth mains hybrid.

Before the game, Justin said "this is going to be one of those games" and it was. We never playtested this matchup (or many others for that matter, basically just talked through scenarios for months) but I didn't think I had a shot. But his opening hand was terrible and he missed the first Target The Main Generator where he needed a 3 and his deck has like 50 3s or higher so I had an opening. I came down with Chewie Protector, canceled Veers' text, shot the walker, and reset the site. Luke in Artoo and Red 5 came down next turn but he also got to verify when I missed a pull and he looked through my whole deck but randomly the one card he didn't see was Control/TV which was the one Force I saved. But he did see Either Way You Win and assumed I had it. Thrawn/Victory came down, along with Alert My Star Destroyer, and I was able to fight and take out Thrawn and eventually take over space because of the Control. He comes down with Vader EPP and Blizzard 4 and I come down with another Chewie but I miss the shot at Blizzard 4 (and that will hurt later) and he loses Vader to attrition. So at this point he's not flipped, hasn't blown, I have space solidly with Home One/Ackbar at Hoth (he had killed Luke) and a stacked Alderaan Consular Ship at Tatooine (with Leia, Lando, another Luke). I'm paying to drain for 2 and 1 and retrieving one and he has a ping on the ground and a Projection on his 3rd Marker. He draws a bunch and sets up 2 more Walkers at the third Marker. He plays another Vader, finally blows the generators, and draws into a Flagship Executor which he plays, plays Hoth Blockade, and moves all his Walkers up to survive the next battle with all that forfeit. In the meantime, I can't go to the Cantina because I fear EPP Maul (which he actually has in his hand) and so Padme is never able to come down and do anything, nor can I get free drains. I battle and kill a bunch of Walkers but he is able to survive flipped, and deploys a Walker in his turn, retrieves Alert, deploys Grand Moff Tarkin, deploys an ISB Sector Commander to get Thrawn again, and moves up and plays Alert. So suddenly he has the Flagship Ex with Thrawn, Moff, and is flipped. I think I am ahead but it's gotten grim. Time is running short so we play fast. I move over the Consular Ship and fight over the system and in the one big battle I Leadership to add instead of limiting which was stupid. He draws and gets 15 attrition and I have to lose a bunch of stuff while he only has to peel 6 cards or something. He had re-established on the ground and is draining for 1 and 1 and pings for 1. I put down Yoda and Padme at the Cantina and Maul comes down, hits them both and Force Pushes. Time is called and it's 16 to 16. In my last turn I use Seeking, get Padme back and Threepio her for a Hear Me Baby ftw but then he retrieves with Wipe so we're still tied and he has a smaller lost pile and wins.

TL. Fun game, he played really well to get back into this game and turn it into a win.

So now I'm even more baffled because I thought I had that game only to lose it. I'm 2-1 and but I should be.. 0-3? 1-2? Needless to say I'm not terribly confident going forward.

Game 4: DS vs Justin Carulli's TIGIH 12-card start.

This is the first of eventually 3 times I will play against a variant of this deck. I do my thing and he drops twixes and moves Luke over. I drain and do damage and he topdecks Home One which he is mad at himself about, but it does simplify space on my end considerably. I continue to do my thing and cancel his drains or mitigate the damage. He puts Obi EPP out early to the Naboo Battle Plains and Corran to my 2/0. I block Luke's drain with U-3p0 and he Nabruns over to break his cover but also shuts down Luke's retrieval. He plays the 3/0 but it isn't virtual so Wipe retrieves the whole game. That's about it for this game - more spies, more damage, me not losing enough cards to match. Hayes was right.

FW. So now I'm 3-1 and get a break from the first three games going to time to recover a bit mentally.

Game 5: LS vs Par Birgander's Imperial Entanglement troopers.

I'm embarrassed because I have to read virtually (no pun intended) all his cards. At one point I Grimtaash him lost and find about 9 cards I don't know and instead of reading them I just hand them back because it would take me 5 minutes to figure out what they do. His deck is pretty awesome and I'm really looking forward to seeing the list. Par is from Sweden and I'm excited to play somebody I would otherwise never play. He starts I believe Endor Shield, Imperial Academy Training v and Imperial Stockpile with a Blaster Rifle v. I start Wokling and Draw Their Fire. He activates one, fishes out Admiral Motti v and uses Imperial Vanguard Camp text to pull Deflector Shield Generators v. Fishes a 2/1 site and draws. I get Shmi and Threepio, play a site and Nick Of Time v and I use Threepio and throw back the Lucky Shot I have in my opening hand to draw a card. In my draw phase he plays Protocol Failure, which I glumly let him pull with, and he pulls Operational as Planned v and then does it again. He then uses Protocol Failure to pull Tatooine Occupation and recirculates. At the beginning of his turn, he plays Protocol Failure again, gets Op as Planned again, and then does it all over again - LUCKY SHOT!!!!!! I am kicking myself. So he sets up his hand in a big way. He plays Piett who pulls the Admirals Order that makes it easy to hit capitals and also makes non-pilot warriors cheap deploy and big defense value. He also plays Thrawn and uses Deflector Shields to pull a Trooper. I come down hard with Senator Leia at the Home One War Room, Ackbar, and Home One and battle the ship. He drops Laser Cannon Batteries as a react, shoots my ship down and loses a guy or two to forfeit. Ouch! On his turn, he puts down Imperial Domination, Daine Jir, flips, plays Occupation, but isn't aggressive and shuttles them up while staying on the 7 side.

My turn, I put down Yoda, Padme, Luke EPP and move over Shmi to a site. I also retrieve Home One with Wokling or Use The Force or something. I can't think of a way to crack the ship but I need to threaten him with something. He comes down with two troopers and shoots Luke, plays Wounded Warrior to make him power 0, shoots Padme, adds a destiny, heck I might be forgetting something. The net result is I lose those guys and his he retrieves a bunch of cards for fighting and gets cards into his hand using the guns. Not bad... and I don't know what to do. I deploy another Luke from hand and Seeking Padme up so I'm doing some damage. He plays Strategic Reserves v and moves/deploys four troopers, one apiece to 4 different sites. I come down with I think Chewie and Ackbar at separate sites to fight and retrieve with DTF but he Outflanks (WHERE IS LUCKY SHOT?!) away from Ackbar and I lose Chewie and he is able to drain and ping for a substantial amount. I'm losing what little left I have of any kind of board control but time is close and at the end of the game he loses Thrawn from hand to damage but regrets it soon after because he has no guys in hand to fight/retrieve with and time is called. I place Wokling OOP to retrieve 1 and I'm pretty sure the final tally is 21 for me, 20 for him, and I again get the win but don't deserve it. Emil comes over to watch the final turn or so and points out after that I couldn't retrieve with Wokling because I was only at one site and he had Coward - whoops. I could have moved over and done it but still it's my bad and I feel pretty bad about it.

TW. 5-1, should be 2-4? I completely misplayed that game and was very impressed by that dark deck.

Game 6: DS vs Nick Tobin's Rebel Senate.

I got some lucky topdecks on this one, including Mas Amedda and Corran Horn. Nick got Bail and Mon Mothma down first turn followed by a Luke, SITF at the Nightclub but an undercover spy stopped that damage and it took awhile for him to deal with it. I was draining and pinging away in standard NPE fashion before a stacked Alderaan Consular Ship came to Kessel which I decided to ignore until late game. Eventually Nick got Corran back and broke the cover of I think U-3p0 but Arica came and stopped it for another turn before running into the 3/0 and draining there for the remainder of the game. When I blocked the Kessel drain with Baron and a Saber Squad Pilot, Nick attacked with the Consular Ship and lost the battle I think 19 to 41 with a reacting Jango in Saber 4. The game was fairly lopsided and not a great matchup I don't think.

FW.

Game 7: LS vs Mark Walseth's Endor Ops Lone Pilot Start.

Funny story here: when I was just getting back into the game in the spring I played a game on Holotable with Bryanirish who is a kid in the Minnesota area playing this funky Endor Ops deck starting Lone Pilot. To summarize, the deck gets big drains in space via Ominous Rumors and an extra 4/0 activation using Kuat and Wakeelmui, really boosting one of the main problems with EOps: its activation. I was really impressed and messed with the deck a bunch. So when I sit across from Mark and he plays Lone Pilot, I told him I'd seen the deck before and he was pretty shocked. Unfortunately for him, I also knew a good way to tackle it: force denial. He started with Dengar, Punishing One, Kuat and Mob Points combo in hand; my first actions were Don't Do That Again and the Professor shields. He paid 4 for Dengar and Punishing One and would have paid one more for Ozzel had he wanted to - all his force first turn. Instead, he nixed the Ozzel and drew instead. I Wookiee Winned and Use The Forced and also Either Way You Winned - the latter netting me Corran Horn, who sat in the Bunker and prevented him from playing Establish Secret Base and flipping. From there it was pretty downhill. He had a steady drain of 3 at Endor (with a Presence of the Force) most of the game but I had retrieval, an equally steady drain at the Cantina, and more importantly, multiple destiny draws in space. I had Endor Shield suspended all game and got a ton of activation. General Veers made a brief appearance at the Endor: Docking Bay but Chewbacca Protector canceled his game text and shot the walker out from under him. After some big space battles blowing out most of his fleet, the game was pretty much over.

FW. It was fun playing Mark this deep into the tournament. He was really fun to play against and a super nice guy.

At this point I was 6-1 but I wasn't confident about my SOS and really wanted the last win to ensure entry into the top 8.

Game 8: DS vs Matt Harrison-Trainor's WYS v.

I had been extremely impressed with Matt's gameplay the night before when he beat me in the team tournament and was looking forward to playing him again. Unfortunately this matchup I had the disadvantage of playing a deck that is like playing solitaire, especially against his which is a skill deck and has multiple routes to winning. I also made a poor decision to try to hold the ground with DVDLOTS instead of squatting at Corellia and preventing Corellian Engineering Corporation from taking effect. I set up a TIE at a cloud on Kessel and he played a first turn Mirax and No Questions Asked. He reduced my damage right away but I continued the setup, playing my other cloud to Corellia and giving myself a launching pad to the system (and an escape route). But I couldn't find the pieces to Baron/Saber 4/Jango/All Power so I couldn't go there right away. After my first ping he topdecked the Scoundrel's Guild but retrieved it through Weapons Display and retrieval with Wokling - very well done. He then flipped immediately with three small dudes and drew some cards. I did get to verify and saw he had two Rebel Barriers in his deck, and I doubted he played three. So I took a small chance and dropped DVDLOTS hoping to kill a guy and move over to block another drain, but he had Miraxed and apparently drawn into one of those Barriers to my dismay. He came down with Mace during his turn and with the help of CEC's battle destiny adding text, killed Vader. I got stuck on the idea of Vader staying alive on the ground so I retrieved him with Wipe (which I had played at some point because he had Home One DB out), shuffled my deck with Masterful Move and activated him next turn, pulling him with Force Push. He went down to another site but got killed off by another big guy during Matt's turn. So by now I'm taking a drain of 7 (2 2 2 1) and not really doing any damage; he's retrieved most of his Lost Pile with a few turns of Weapons Display, and I have a very small hand because I put so much effort into trying to establish something on the ground with DVDLOTS. I don't think I can win this game - pretty damn sure it would be a loss by 30+ - so I concede.

FL.

I finish the day 6-2, not bad and much better than I feared after the first three games. I end up in 6th place, scheduled to play Emil Wallin in the first round of Day 3. Justin and Steve also finish in the top 8, not a bad showing for the team at all.

***************** DAY 3 PREP and DAY 3 ***********************

We go to TGIF's and talk about decks a little bit but it's already after 11 and we are all pretty exhausted. We realize that the first round is going to be the most difficult for the team as a whole - Justin was playing Shannon, Steve was playing Matt, and I was playing the defending world champ who nobody knew. So we were going to focus on that first round and let the cards fall as they would for the remainder of the tournament.

I was pretty damn sure I was going to play the Baragwins because that had been the original plan all along. For Dark, I really wanted to play Agnos' CCT deck. But when I went back to Justin's place I did some research and realized the light deck Emil had played at Worlds the previous year (and won with) was probably really similar to the deck he just went 7-1 with: TIGIH. And our Spice TIEs deck was heavily advantaged toward that matchup. So I made one alteration: I cut Cold Feet (which I never played) for a second U-3p0, a safe call and a non-game changer.

The Baragwins choice was more interesting. The only decks I knew Emil was familiar with for dark were the Spice TIEs deck he won Worlds with last year, and the Entanglements deck he made that I basically lost to in game 5 against his fellow Swede Par. Since I saw Emil watching me play against his deck poorly, and given both the late hour and his success with his deck, I gambled he would play it vs me in Day 3. So I made a ton of changes (over 20% of the deck) just to make sure I beat his deck. Some of those changes would bite me in the ass against Reid.

Decklists:

Dark Side - Spice TIEs, same list as Day 2 except I switched a 2nd U-3p0 for Cold Feet.

Light Side - Communing Baragwins. This list is the base deck, and the changes for Emil are listed below it.

Start (6)
Tatooine: Slave Quarters
Communing
Master Kenobi
Anger Fear Aggression v
Cell 2187 v
Wokling v or Nick Of Time v

Locations (4)
Tatooine (EP1)
Tatooine: Obi-wan's Hut v
Tatooine: City Outskirts
Home One: War Room

Ships (2)
Home One
Alderaan Consular Ship

Guys (17)
Baragwin x3
Artoo v
Threepio with Parts Showing
Shmi Skywalker
Senator Leia Organa
Luke Skywalker v x2
Padme Naberrie v
Yoda, Great Warrior
Han with Heavy Blaster Pistol
Lando, Unlikely Hero
Harc Seff
Admiral Ackbar v
Chewbacca v
First Officer Thaneespi

Green (5)
Fire Extinguisher x5

Effects (8)
Imperial Atrocity v x2
Seeking An Audience v
All My Urchins
Nick Of Time v
Launching The Assault
Strikeforce v
Learn About The Force, Luke

Interrupts (18)
Rebel Leadership v x4
Let The Wookiee Win v
Either Way You Win v
Control/Tunnel Vision
Use The Force x3
Nar Shadda Wind Chimes
Trooper Sabacc
Wookiee Roar v x2
Droid Shutdown x2
Strike Blocked
Lucky Shot v

Changes for Day 3:
OUT: Use The Force, Droid Shutdown, Wookiee Roar x2, Learn About The Force Luke, Launching The Assault, First Officer Thaneespi, Chewbacca, Tatooine;
IN: Let The Wookiee Win, Inconsequential Barriers, Free Ride/Endor Celebration x2, Either Way You Win, Control/Tunnel Vision, Leia Rebel Princess, Nar Shadda, Imperial Atrocity.

On to the games!

MATCH ONE: VS EMIL WALLIN

Emil and I sat down to play our first game and he elected to go first with Light Side. He was playing TIGIH 12-card start, a deck I had beaten the day before and I felt confident was a great matchup for the Spice.

From the get-go, things didn't go well for Emil. I had a good hand and drew into an All Power To Weapons, which I played Lost to get my three Saber Squadron TIEs. I played one and a pilot to the Storm Clouds and drew a card. His turn, he didn't play a single card from hand and instead moved Luke over and drew up. At the beginning of my turn, I played Masterful Move combo and found Monnok and played it used; that set him back a whole turn and turned his 12-card start into an 8-card start with no effects. Monnok, winner of games, strikes again. Emil later told me I put back Corran Horn, two sites/pullers, along with a couple other useful cards for the matchup. He also had bad luck getting Seeking An Audience drawn for spice destiny and stacked, and then after he sent it to Used pile (giving me a free pull), he shuffled his deck somehow and then saw it get topdecked the following turn to a ping. The remainder of the game went as normal: I paid to drain for 2 and 2, pinged for 1, and spiced; he would pay to drain for 2 which I would cancel/mitigate early on and then eventually I would get a spy down to Luke's site. Corran came down (he topdecked him and then retrieved him with Found Someone You Have combo), broke U-3p0's cover, and moved over to the Back Door which he pulled with General Solo v. I played Keder to Luke's site and Abyssin Ornament'd his Sorry About The Mess combo. He eventually got Home One to space but it was too little too late. He did fight me in the clouds near the end with a Republic Gunship but Saber 4 reacting with Jango killed it off.

FW +21.

I was happy when he revealed his dark deck: the same Entanglements he had played the day before. After making some very dubious meta calls in recent Day 3s, I finally made a good call for this one. My game plan was to stack a site with Yoda, Artoo/Extinguisher, Harc Seff, Padme, Baragwin, move Shmi over and get some Skywalkers down. Harc could cover two sites; I figured he played 4 of his own, and so worst case scenario he drains for 1 in space, 4 on the ground, and I cover my City Outskirts and the Slave Quarters and Obi Hut with Harc for a total of 1 1 1 1 1 = 5. My ships were likely safe at Nar Shadda (parsec 3) so I could probably count on Luke retrieval and if I got out two Baragwins they could cover 2 and 2 more apiece. So I could match his damage with retrieval and slowly burn away his life force.

It ended up being kind of close to that. He played the Cantina, an extra damage I didn't account for, but it didn't really matter. He started Something Special Planned For Them for an extra grabber instead of Imperial Academy Training but got out IAT first turn in opening hand anyways. He then did his normal stuff deploying Motti/Deflector Shield Generators/Piett/Admiral's Order. I started Cell 2187 and Nick Of Time but he used Something Special to grab Lucky Shot; I did cancel his Protocol Failure with it so it was a 1 for 1. I also played Use The Force the first three turns so he got annoyed and grabbed it with his shield Grabber, but that allowed me to cancel his Tatooine Occupation with my Free Ride combo with impunity. By the time he got a trooper down to each of his sites and do damage, I had my 8 card setup in place. There wasn't anything he could do to stop the damage/retrieval and he scooped.

Our match got done quite early so I had a sandwich, did a Youtube interview for the PC and got to relax a bit. Justin had lost to Shannon by 22 his first game and seemed pretty dejected; Steve had beaten Matt HT by 16, and Reid had won by a small amount against Vikram. But when I came back down Justin had somehow beaten Shannon by 23 to take his match, and Steve had also won. So 3 of the final 4 were KtoD! Also important, the deck the Communing auto-loses to is SYCFA and both players (Vikram and Shannon) playing it in Day 3 were eliminated. So my road to the finals were through Reid, two matchups (TIGIH and Slavers) I felt comfortable with. I felt I couldn't be in a better position matchup-wise.

MATCH TWO: VS REID SMITH

I elected to go with Dark first and play virtually the same matchup I had just played, vs TIGIH 12-card start. I had beaten Justin Carulli the day before too and I figured it was a similar deck with few answers for my damage and lots of places to go with my spies. I thought a win in the mid-teens/twenties would be a good way to start.

My opening hand was pretty good: an All Power To Weapons, a good mix of pilots, a Ghhhk. No chaff. I pulled Spice Mine Operations and decided to lose OS-72-10 to All Power to Weapons to pull my TIEs rather than risk top-decking. I got my three restricted TIEs as normal and Reid pulled a Houjix with an Escape Pod. I fished out a Saber Squadron Pilot (I had started with one already in my hand) and deployed them to a Storm Clouds, drew a card, and said go.

Reid activated and played Grimtaash lost. Nightmare scenario: he got my two remaining Saber Squadron TIEs, and randomly also my two pilots. I had already lost OS-72-10 so in one turn half my fleet was gone. In hindsight I should have been content just fishing out two TIEs with All Power in case he had the Grimtaash, something I have thought about since then, but I guess I wanted to maximize damage and not risk activating it. Hindsight. I hate it.

The rest of the game felt like playing catch-up. I had to play Baron/Saber 1 to my other cloud the next turn for damage - the last remaining ship/guy in my deck was Saber 4/Jango (unless you count DVDLOTS on Obsidian 10 which is pretty terrible). I was mitigating damage with spies and Propaganda and canceling on the ground as normal but at every turn my deck spat in my face. Every time I topdecked a card to use Kessel Surveillance System to mitigate damage, I lost a card that would have helped me a lot: Imperial Propaganda, Protocol Failure, Jango Fett. With a deck full of crap (Sonic Bombardments, Short Range Fighter combos, All Power To Weapons, etc etc) it felt like I was only losing good cards. I did randomly stack on Spice Mine Operations his 3/0 site which allowed me to play Wipe to hang in there, but still it wasn't promising. He got big Home One to Kessel and drained for free/more. I held onto the spice damage like rosary beads but late game he dropped a Republic Gunship and just sat there, stopping my one drain of 2 and my I'm Sorry damage. So I was just paying to drain for 1 with Baron and spicing for one, while he was retrieving one a turn with Luke Rebel Scout. I drew up and he retrieved his last card for a loss by 10 cards - not too bad considering he blew out my deck on turn 1, but horrible nonetheless.

FL -10

Well, that was pretty damn demoralizing. Reid turned an auto-loss to a win by capitalizing on a blunder on my part and good, clean, tight play on his for the rest of the game. As much as I wanted to be playing the second game ahead, I was pretty comfortable with the matchup and thought I had more than a shot to win the match. My gameplan was to go to whatever site Reid wasn't on Kashyyyk with all my dudes and Harc Seff and just retrieve through the Kashyyyk drain with Baragwins (lose 2 Extinguishers, retrieve them on his turn before Reegesk can get his little rat hands in my trash).

He flipped over Slavers and I started Wokling and Cell 2187. His first turn he made the customary site/Jabba's Sail Barge pulls. My turn, I activated 7 and searched my deck for Obi's Hut; to my great, everlasting dismay it wasn't in there and I also forgot I swapped out my normal Tatooine for Nar Shaddah. So I was forced to pull Tatooine: City Outskirts, something I didn't want to do at all. Hindsight has since smacked me upside the head and told me to search with Don't Do That Again before the Kenobi pull but again, I hate you Hindsight. Get out of my head!

He went hard to the 2/1 site with all the customary guys and I nullified that drain with Harc Seff on the Skyhook platform with Artoo and an Extinguisher and a Baragwin with All My Urchins. Even with Scum he couldn't fight me and get his retrieval engine going. What's more, he tried to Look Sir Droids Artoo but I had my Droid Shutdown and he grabbed it after some thought. He also burned his shield pulls without pulling Coward or Code Clearance so I was able to do my retrieval without having to go to space or another site, a super bonus!! So for a good portion of the game I had very few cards in lost pile; I would Use The Force something and also Baragwin through a bit of damage.

After I got Artoo down, I got Padme, Shmi, and Leia RP down for a steady Padme damage of two. I was also paying to drain at that site (which he canceled twice with the non-unique aliens) and he eventually played IG-88 with Riot Gun and moved all the aliens at the Slaving Camp over. But the Padme damage was probably going to be enough I thought. I basically played to stonewall damage and put down Yoda, Great Warrior and Luke just to be sure I maximized damage and had Yoda's text to faux-sense any shenanigans. I also elected not to go to space and be chased around or risk retrieval through Scum and tossed my Nar Shadda.

At one point Reid Monnoked me lost (for no cards) but saw I was running light on guys in hand so he went to the City Outskirts with two guys, Bossk and I think Bane Malar, to double his drain. I went down with Han EPP and cleared it but he enslaved Han and was able to deploy a shield with the Starting Interrupt so he stopped the Use the Force nonsense with Code Clearance. He then put down P-59 and a Rim Scout to the City Outskirts and I just ran out of guys to throw at him. I set up Lando at the crowded site and was intent on playing Trooper Sabacc every turn but Reid activated to one force in Reserve making it impossible for me to loop it. I simply ran out of guys to throw at him - probably overdeployed to the site and should have saved Luke/Ackbar/Leadership or something to throw at him late. I scoop and he wins the match.

My big mistake this game was deploying the City Outskirts at all. If he has a spy to go to my 2/0s he would have to deploy more thinly and they're only drains of 1 with Atrocity. Also I think if I had some more foresight I should have played Coruscant over Nar Shadda to possibly give me a system away from his fleet, but I don't know if that's Hindsight just kicking my ass again or actual logic. For sure, if I don't swap out the Wookiee Roar package, I loop that forever and Padme wins me the game.

Sigh.

I'm glum but Reid got the job done in crunch time and I didn't. Unfortunately he ran into the mack truck named Justin Desai and my teammate wins the whole thing. Either way those guys are overdue for the title and I'm glad Justin won the whole thing. He has deserved it for a long time coming.

Lots of props to pass around:

The PC for holding another smooth Worlds;
The Hall of Fame induction ceremony which was really quite memorable;
The Euro guys for flying out here yet again (and slops to the Americans for not going out there last year);
Matt HT for the Team Tourney game, and showing formidable playskill despite only 3 years of experience;
Brian Fred for being a cool guy and reading my mind that Mirax was actually who I was targetting despite my own words;
My wife for patience;
Justin Desai for holding serve on his home court and for talking on the phone for weeks/months in lieu of playtesting.

Slops:
Light side for being crappy;
Hyperdrive for hating on vehicles;
Grimtaash;
Decipher for being enablers by printing on low-quality foil card stock.

Hope to see you all again at next year's Worlds.

Out.

3MW0J8

Re: Jonny Chu's Worlds TR

Post by 3MW0J8 »

frist
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

This was an awesome tournament report. Circa 2002 enthusiasm. A great insight into one of the best minds in the game coming back after a hiatus. Johnny Chu, I love you. And hate you for beating me with your hbx ralltiir shenanigans in Fitchburg. And I know I was right about spice ties. And you played monnok, THAT is * sexy.

I wish I had known you were in STL. I was there 2 months ago and Eric is about to finish his post grad at wash u.

Hayes

Post by Hayes »

P.S. never missing world's again (in the Us).

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by DVD ROTS »

Hayes wrote:P.S. never missing world's again (in the Us).
Hollingworth and I were discussing this - think you might have the "best player to never win Worlds" crown right now. Reid and Baroni are probably the other contenders, and you have a longer/older track record. So, yeah, missed having you there.

Jonny - great read, and it was awesome to see you at the tournament, top-8-ing as always. Always nice to see the game's best players still bringing it; the HoF announcement was super cool for that reason as well. Hope you can make it to the MPC, but if not, maybe Worlds next year. Good luck with the move, man.
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

Jonny great report. I have always loved reading your worlds followup reports.

I had a lot of orders leading into this worlds that included multiple Fire Extinguisher, Hidden Compartment and a lot of different types of Sabaac cards. I love seeing what people order and trying to place it with what could be built, different tech and so forth.

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

great report jonny, enjoyed reading this
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

DVD ROTS wrote:
Hayes wrote:P.S. never missing world's again (in the Us).
Hollingworth and I were discussing this - think you might have the "best player to never win Worlds" crown right now. Reid and Baroni are probably the other contenders, and you have a longer/older track record. So, yeah, missed having you there.
also this. good luck with that monkey
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

Nice report man, no way I could have beaten you in the finals.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Great report. The best in years. Good showing too!
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

mryellow wrote:Decipher for being enablers by printing on low-quality foil card stock.
haha nice.

gogolen
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Mr. Chu you are a class act and an exceptional player. Congratulations on another Top 4 performance and your Hall of Fame induction.

I think I speak for everyone when we say we'd like to see you at more than 1 event every 18 months. Well, maybe not everyone because I am sure some people would like to have a better chance of winning.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

gogolen wrote:Mr. Chu you are a class act and an exceptional player. Congratulations on another Top 4 performance and your Hall of Fame induction.

I think I speak for everyone when we say we'd like to see you at more than 1 event every 18 months. Well, maybe not everyone because I am sure some people would like to have a better chance of winning.
x2. Awesome report!
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

SolaGratia

Post by SolaGratia »

Now this is a TR reminiscent of the (g)olden days! Thanks for taking the time & effort to do this.

This is really helpful for new/returning players so thanks man and congrats on HOF and your finish!

sac89837

Post by sac89837 »

mryellow wrote: Game 1: LS vs Ryan Jellison's Dark Senate 12-card hand.

With all the viable dark platforms out there, I didn't pack Scrambled Transmission and it sucked. He flipped first turn with Lott and Aks and pulled the add 3 effect, backed up next turn with Passel. I started Wokling and Draw Their Fire and started to hit and run in the Senate. Senator Leia came down but I couldn't crack them both sadly even with the attrition +2 and Obi put her used; also had to Houjix. I played Use The Force to retrieve the Houjix. This happened a few turns in a row until I couldn't loop my Houjix anymore and needed to do something else. Home One with big guys in space came down and he killed everything but the ship with a stacked Slave I, Guri and Stinger and another ship/guy. I moved away and reloaded. He started draining for big damage and I needed to do something drastic to keep my lead so down went Yoda and Padme to the Cantina. He looked at them, said "really, that's all? Well... they're obviously bait..." thought about what to do and decided against attacking them. That's one instance where I love being Jonny Chu instead of somebody else - being able to get away with completely boneheaded plays. So I got a drain in and hung around long enough to survive when they called time. I think the count was like 21 in my favor to 20 to his or something ridiculously close. I won the game but definitely would not have in the long run.

TW. Felt crappy about it though.
It was 26 to 21 in the final tally, but you only had Home One on the board and I had both systems locked down. You started Nick of Time(V) so that's why I went down with only 2 senators, I was hoping you would have to dig for Draw Their Fire. And I canceled that Cantina drain with a Guard, that's why I let it go for a turn just to see what you would do. As to the timed win it's not like we played slow; you only got a drain at Tatooine for one and my first drain you controlled and the second got atrocitied, and everything else was battling. I think we got through 17-18 turns and 10 battles. I also play on Holotable 98% of the time, so it was a lesson on playing the clock.

We do have to do the Spice TIES vs. Gunship match up though, I want to see how that turns out.
On a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

"Bounty Hunters don't do brunch."

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

Thanks for the awesome report and congrats on the strong showing.
Top Finishes:
-2018 Endor Grand Prix Team Tournament 2nd Place
-2012 SC States 2nd Place
-2011 Malastare Regionals 2nd Place
-2010 Malastare Regionals 3rd Place

Decipher ELO Ratings:
Highest: 1696
Final: 1656

OCS Records:
2020: 10-38
2019: 6-18

Scrabble: 1738 (354-207)

Hammerhai

Post by Hammerhai »

Comment's like these are the very reason I decided to learn how to play this game. The commentary was not just "...this card played here...", but one that made me "see" the TIE's being piloted by real pilot's while real Jedi, Scum, etc. fought in the Cantina's of Tatooine or the Cloud's of Bespin. Well written and thoroughly enjoyed reading.

J-

kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

Most amazing TR in years. Great read, thx.

95% of players wouldn't spot mistakes you comment on. Even in hidnsight.
Hope you stay in the mix and play on HT more.
Kryptofis

Bane Slader

Post by Bane Slader »

Five Stars. This greatly affects my view of the current tournament scene and will help my game play.

As they used to say on Decktech.
Congrats upon your return to do such a great placing in the event and to the HoF, so well deserved. Love the report and miss the days everyone was doing this.
You are one of a kind sir!
Driven up and down in circles
Skidding down a road of black ice
Staring in and out storm windows
Driven to a fool's paradise

From the song "Driven" by Rush

veez

Post by veez »

This is the best TR I have read in several years. Plenty of broad insight to the meta and gives me lots of ideas for decks to build. Great job once again Chu

Return to “Worlds - August 8-11”