Cube Updates

Homewood Suites Liberty Station
2576 Laning Road
San Diego, CA 92106
Post Reply
User avatar
Cam Solusar
Member
Posts: 16871
Joined: November 23rd, 2002, 7:57 pm
Location: Sunny Southern California

Cube Updates

Post by Cam Solusar »

After one draft round the undefeated are myself, Jan, Matt, Kevin, BFred, Schoe and Joe Olson.


Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

User avatar
Cam Solusar
Member
Posts: 16871
Joined: November 23rd, 2002, 7:57 pm
Location: Sunny Southern California

Re: Cube Updates

Post by Cam Solusar »

Jan passes Max Rebo to Shannon by getting a chipotle employee to put it in Shannons burrito.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

User avatar
Platypus
Member
Posts: 6820
Joined: June 27th, 2004, 11:25 pm
Location: Louisville, KY
GEMP Username: platy

Re: Cube Updates

Post by Platypus »

Cam Solusar wrote:Jan passes Max Rebo to Shannon by getting a chipotle employee to put it in Shannons burrito.
MVR of the weekend? Too early to tell, but good move.
BSG 13-6 AGOT 2-0 AH 1-0 I also played SWCCG :)

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Posts: 1455
Joined: December 30th, 2004, 4:14 pm
Location: Stanford, CA/Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Cube Updates

Post by DVD ROTS »

Pretty sure it is wildly de-valued by the fact that they were getting Chipotle burritos in San Diego.
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30784
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Cube Updates

Post by imrahil327 »

Final cube standings:
4 wins:
Kevin Shannon
Brian Fred

3 wins:
Chris Schoenthal
Camden Yanaga
Joe Olson
Jan Westergard
Clayton Atkin
Matthew Harrison-Trainor

2 wins:
Brian Herold
Phil Aasen
Matt Thornton
TacoBill
John Anderson
Anthony Massung
Reid Smith

1 win:
David (Clayton’s son)
Harpster
Remaker
Steve Skilton
Steve Brentson
Tom Hollingworth
Greg Shaw
Nathan

0 wins:
Gabe A
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

User avatar
SolaGratia
Member
Posts: 1392
Joined: July 14th, 2012, 7:08 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Cube Updates

Post by SolaGratia »

imrahil327 wrote:Final cube standings:
4 wins:
Kevin Shannon
Brian Fred

3 wins:
Chris Schoenthal
Camden Yanaga
Joe Olson
Jan Westergard
Clayton Atkin
Matthew Harrison-Trainor

2 wins:
Brian Herold
Phil Aasen
Matt Thornton
TacoBill
John Anderson
Anthony Massung
Reid Smith

1 win:
David (Clayton’s son)
Harpster
Remaker
Steve Skilton
Steve Brentson
Tom Hollingworth
Greg Shaw

0 wins:
Gabe A
Nathan
Correction I won 1 game :-P

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30784
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Cube Updates

Post by imrahil327 »

Fixed, sorry!
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Posts: 1455
Joined: December 30th, 2004, 4:14 pm
Location: Stanford, CA/Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Cube Updates

Post by DVD ROTS »

Hey - were there more detailed results from this? Or if not, can folks post their impressions? I'm curious as to whether DS was as wtfbroken as it seemed to me at Worlds.
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

User avatar
Cam Solusar
Member
Posts: 16871
Joined: November 23rd, 2002, 7:57 pm
Location: Sunny Southern California

Re: Cube Updates

Post by Cam Solusar »

Here's almost all of the list I played for DS:

Starting:

COTVG
JP: AC
JP: Dungeon
Pit of Carkoon
PD
KDY v
Battle Plan
IAO Combo

Locations:
Tatooine
Mos Espa DB
Spaceport DB

Characters:
Lord Maul
Vader v
Tarkin v
Darth Vader, Betrayer of the Jedi
Mighty Jabba
Bib Fortuna
Lady Valarian
BF, BH
Ponda Boba v
OOM-9 v
P-60
4-LOM w/ Rifle v
Jodo Kast v
General Veers v
Sith Probe Droid v

Starships/Vehicles:
Blizzard 2
Dune Walker
Tyrant
Judicator
Blockade Support Ship
Elis in Hinthra

Weapons:
Darth Vader's Lightsaber v
Laser Cannon Battery

Interrupts:
Imbalance and Kintan Strider
Jabba's Twerps
Weapon Lev & Empire's Back
Sense (Prem)
None Shall Pass v
Evacuate? v
Elis Helrot
Sense & Uncertain Is The Future

Effects:
Image of the Dark Lord v
Imperial Decree v

This list went 2-0 beating Josh Mack and Steve Brenston who were both playing LS space-heavy decks. You can pull all your activation turn one, pull Elis -> Ponda Baba, use the AC to download Jabba. Reinforce ground with vader and walkers. The early pressure from the court objective seems really good in cube, and Battle Order was really strong against the space decks that struggled to keep guys on the ground.

For LS I played more of a pile; drafted Hyperdrive for the Outskirts location; started that with the Harvest v starting interrupt for Lars Farm, the two hydroponic stations, Thrown Back v and A Jedi's Plans for finding my activation. Drafted random jedi to pull with the Outskirts and two 7's to track with Thrown Back v. Also drafted just about the best token LS space that you can get in the cube: Lady Luck + Lando UH, Booster in Pulsar Skate and HCF v. I lost a game to Brian Fred who got Sidious + Saber to the Lars farm turn two, and won a grind-out match vs Schoenthal who had an equally pile-like DS deck.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

User avatar
Cam Solusar
Member
Posts: 16871
Joined: November 23rd, 2002, 7:57 pm
Location: Sunny Southern California

Re: Cube Updates

Post by Cam Solusar »

Also, Phil was complaining about sitting next to Reid while drafting and not getting any good cards; well I was sitting on the OTHER side of Reid. ;)
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 2609
Joined: February 1st, 2003, 3:50 pm

Re: Cube Updates

Post by Karrdeshark »

Cam Solusar wrote:Also, Phil was complaining about sitting next to Reid while drafting and not getting any good cards; well I was sitting on the OTHER side of Reid. ;)
Well played sir, well played, err, drafted :)
Image

User avatar
3MW0J8
Member
Posts: 4260
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 8:54 pm
Location: I said I have the most 2nd places

Re: Cube Updates

Post by 3MW0J8 »

Yah well u guys didn't do me any favors.. For all the times I drafted Cube that weekend that was by far the toughest. Got stuck drafting Mon Cals/Restore Freedom for light which was uber jank .. and for dark all I had was both Lord Vaders and his stick.

I was really bummed cuz in one of the test drafts we did on Friday I drafted a sick IITFYS deck but didn't even get a chance to play a game with it.
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

Clayton Atkin
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
Posts: 729
Joined: November 14th, 2003, 2:46 pm
Location: Modesto, California

Re: Cube Updates

Post by Clayton Atkin »

DVD ROTS wrote:Hey - were there more detailed results from this? Or if not, can folks post their impressions? I'm curious as to whether DS was as wtfbroken as it seemed to me at Worlds.
I don't know the overall results, but the general feeling in the room was that dark was wtfbroken. I went 1-1 with light which was basically a Profit deck without the objective. Lost to Kafer in the first game as he had heavy space with all the drain 2 systems. I was able to win the 2nd game against Nathan only because I parked Herc between 2 of his ground drains.

My dark on the other hand, was stupid broken. I beat Phil and Greg who both played TRMains in less than 15 minutes each game. Here was the dark deck from what I can remember:

Starting:

Hoth: 3rd Marker
According to my design
Emperor Palpatine
Endor Shield v
Kuat Drive Yards v
Dreaded Imperial Starfleet v

Characters :

Sim Aloo
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Mara Jade, The Emperors Hand
Mara Jade with lightsaber
P-59
IG 88 w/blaster
DrE/Ponda Baba
Tech Mo'r
Destiny 4 droid
Destiny 4 droid
Pote
Skrilling x2
Feltipern Trevagg
Thok & Thug
Watto

Locations:
Endor
Kiffex
Naboo
Kashyyyk

Ships:
Imperial Class Star Destroyer
Conquest
Stalker
Avenger
Tyrant
Tie Assault Squadron

Interrupts:

Masterful Move
MM Combo
Force Lightning
Omni Box
Young Fool
Watto's Chance Cube
Sence
Why didn't you tell me v
Limited Resources


Effects:

3720 to 1
Program Trap
Image of the Dark Lord v
Something special planned for them v

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 5257
Joined: August 23rd, 2007, 3:13 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Cube Updates

Post by Kevbozzz »

Clay's cube deck could win Swiss tournaments in 1998.
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

User avatar
SolaGratia
Member
Posts: 1392
Joined: July 14th, 2012, 7:08 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Cube Updates

Post by SolaGratia »

Clayton Atkin wrote:I was able to win the 2nd game against Nathan only because I parked Herc between 2 of his ground drains.
Don't forget blind drawing a R2 in R5 to slice Emp Palp with EPP QGJ and me drawing my only remaining 0 for BD. That felt like the game changer but definitely Harc was a major problem. My fav was you Tracking and constantly Bith Shuffling (one of my fav cards) to stop me from tracking the cards I put back used via Drop (v). It was a fun game.

Congrats on top 4-ing it!

My take: DS > LS in this cube

Steve drafted a fully loaded Court with Jabba and Ephont Mon and all the jazz with Scum. I couldn't win the attrition war. My game two was against Josh who also drafted Court but didn't get the cool cards Steve did and I was able to win it.

I'll also note what is probably obvious to others, this cube is no where near as friendly to new/returning players. My experience is limited to this draft and 1 draft of the Flex Cube. I can see now how much fun this cube is for the veterans so maybe I'll be there one day.

I had my joy of abusing Disruptor Pistol (shooting loss) and Bacta Tank = $$$. I was able to abuse Bacta Tank against Josh with that 0 deploy 5 forfeit alien...talk about fodder.

I had fun and went 1-3 after I poorly drafted DS - probably made some newb decisions but I drafted in Phil, Reid, & Cam's group so that means something right?!?!?

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards
Posts: 18121
Joined: August 1st, 2005, 8:00 pm
Location: first street haven
Contact:

Re: Cube Updates

Post by mikefrench »

Kevbozzz wrote:Clay's cube deck could win Swiss tournaments in 1998.
lol this was awesome

and his deck indeed looks insane

so how do we make ls better? prob some options for a token space package right? (i can't remember the brandon schele joke anymore, it's been too long)
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30784
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Cube Updates

Post by imrahil327 »

Pretty sure it's dark side splashable space, so...probably doesn't help this particular problem.
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

User avatar
JediJer
Administrator
Posts: 26018
Joined: December 3rd, 2002, 1:42 am
Location: Utah

Re: Cube Updates

Post by JediJer »

yeah, schele was known for being anti-DS, so maybe he would be able to actually help in this situation :P

arebelspy
Member
Posts: 16488
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Cube Updates

Post by arebelspy »

I had a lot of fun cubing. Way more than I thought I would.

Even if DS was slightly stronger, LS had good cards. I don't think it needs major revising.

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Posts: 1455
Joined: December 30th, 2004, 4:14 pm
Location: Stanford, CA/Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Cube Updates

Post by DVD ROTS »

SolaGratia wrote:
My take: DS > LS in this cube

Steve drafted a fully loaded Court with Jabba and Ephont Mon and all the jazz with Scum. I couldn't win the attrition war. My game two was against Josh who also drafted Court but didn't get the cool cards Steve did and I was able to win it.

I'll also note what is probably obvious to others, this cube is no where near as friendly to new/returning players. My experience is limited to this draft and 1 draft of the Flex Cube. I can see now how much fun this cube is for the veterans so maybe I'll be there one day.


I had my joy of abusing Disruptor Pistol (shooting loss) and Bacta Tank = $$$. I was able to abuse Bacta Tank against Josh with that 0 deploy 5 forfeit alien...talk about fodder.

I had fun and went 1-3 after I poorly drafted DS - probably made some newb decisions but I drafted in Phil, Reid, & Cam's group so that means something right?!?!?
That is interesting to me, because as someone who I don't think had ever drafted SWCCG before, I was able to do pretty well a few times at Worlds with DS in the power cube, but I feel like I would have 0-for'd with LS because I would have been both overwhelmed from a card synergy standpoint and at a pure power disadvantage.

For whoever was asking about making LS better... IDK, honestly. A big part of the problem is that random DS cards are decent on their own, while random LS cards just aren't. You can put any idiot on Blizzard 2 and have a ton of power, a destiny, a little immunity, and be impossible to hit with weapons. You put a comparable idiot on Rogue 1 and... he goes away real quick. The trick might honestly be to make DS weaker. Tom H and I co-drafted a fully-functional ISB deck during one of the late drafts, and it was probably the fifth best DS cube deck I saw that weekend; meanwhile, if you tried to draft WYS, it would automatically blow up in your face. Is QMC in this thing?
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

Post Reply

Return to “SoCal Grand Prix - Oct 25-27”