Dominic Gaudreault 4 (+28)
Martin Falke 4 (+10)
Raphael Asselin 4 (+4)
Clint Hays 4 (-17)
Brian Rippetoe 2 (-19)
Gary Carman 2 (-38)
Paul Todd Feldman 2 (-39)
Steve Brentson 0 (-32)

Matt Sokol def. Yannick Lapointe (FL -20, FW +25)

Yea that ain't even close

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Re: Snitches Get Stiches

Post by Advocate »

To be fair, I was awesome in 2001.

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

my all time fav thing about worlds 2000 is that kevin shannon missed the final confrontation because of...a TIMED WIN
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

That's prob his fav part too

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Advocate wrote:To be fair, I was awesome in 2001.
...AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED

<3

MrPurple
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by MrPurple »

Hunter wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:You must be smoking that sticky icky icky right now if you think that is the most prestigious event ever. There wasn't even a worlds that year, wasn't it freedomcon? You probably posted that at one of those legal marijuana coffee spots huh?
The next time I smoke the sticky icky icky will be the first time. Yes, the 2001 World Championship was at FreedomCon. And yeah, I still say it was the most prestigious event ever.
Steviegets112 wrote: I could be mistaken but weren't the Canadians only there for LOTR. Didn't have the player base at that point start moving onto LOTR? I don't think you can even compare that to 2000 Worlds (the last real world championships). Aside from Sokol day 3 was completely STACKED. And that dude won without a luke.
No, the Canadians were not only there for LOTR. They played SWCCG. I don't even remember there being a LOTR event. And no, none of the player base had moved on to LOTR, considering that the game didn't even launch until November of 2001 (oops?) So the Lord of the Rings TCG couldn't have been more than a few days old yet when the 2001 World Championship for SWCCG was held, if it had been released at all. I don't really remember much about the Day 3 field from 2000. I know Kyle Craft was in it. Then there were some people who must not have made the cut in 2001. I assume Sokol was there in 2001 and didn't make the cut? But I don't know for sure, I didn't know what he looked like. Yannick was there and missed the cut, I know that. Let me do a little digging, and see who else was in that Day 3 field. Clint Hays, who missed the cut in 2001. Dom, who missed the cut in 2001. Raphael, who missed the cut in 2001. Rippetoe, who missed the cut in 2001, after I dealt him back-to-back losses following his 5-0 start. Paul Todd Feldman was in the Day 3 field in 2000. *cough* I don't know, I think I'll take the Day 3 field from 2001, with Bastian, myself, Hayes, Kevin Shannon, etc.
Steviegets112 wrote: However the single greatest star wars achievement did occur that weekend. You're crushing defeat of Mike for all his decktech points will forever go down in the history books.
I have no comeback for that. :-D
I was not at worlds 2001. Proof as to why some random guy won it :)
Matt Sokol

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Darth_Link wrote:
Hunter wrote:No, the Canadians were not only there for LOTR. They played SWCCG. I don't even remember there being a LOTR event. And no, none of the player base had moved on to LOTR, considering that the game didn't even launch until November of 2001 (oops?) So the Lord of the Rings TCG couldn't have been more than a few days old yet when the 2001 World Championship for SWCCG was held, if it had been released at all.
I missed day 3 due to differential that year, and those of us who missed it played a bunch of lotr in the next room (we had bought a lot of boxes really cheap from Potomac after knocking on the door at their storage early in the morning and literally not leaving til they had sold us the boxes). That being said, SWCCG was (obviously) still the main event.
Okay cool, so it had released. But it doesn't sound like there was really an organized event, so the point is still that no one was "only there for LOTR." So thanks for that info.
Darth_Link wrote:
Also, Martin Åkesson, one of the best players to play this game, who lost the final to Bastian 2001. Bastian played one of Martin's decks, so basically Martin had 3 out 4 decks in the finals.
Yes, I had him very much in mind when I said that 2001 Worlds "wound up with a Top 4 (including both the world's #1 and #2 ranked players) where every competitor possessed every skill you could ever hope for a champion to have." Martin also held a very high spot when I counted down SWCCG's Top 20 Greatest and Most Influential Players several years ago. He was a name that not everyone knew, and some people were surprised to see him so high in the list, but I stood by the decision to include him (as well as the inclusion of Kevin Shannon, a name that even fewer people recognized at the time).

retwin316
LS Region: Corellia
LS Region: Corellia

Post by retwin316 »

gogolen wrote:
It keeps working for Brian Fred (if by working you mean going 5-3 at every event)
I didn't use the same decks in SD. Plus I seem to remember doing very well with Raiders in many events. I got to top 8 in two MPC's, one of which I changed decks the next day, maybe I shoulda kept the same decks!

Maybe I will use Raiders again this year!

gogolen
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

retwin316 wrote:
gogolen wrote:
It keeps working for Brian Fred (if by working you mean going 5-3 at every event)
I didn't use the same decks in SD. Plus I seem to remember doing very well with Raiders in many events. I got to top 8 in two MPC's, one of which I changed decks the next day, maybe I shoulda kept the same decks!

Maybe I will use Raiders again this year!
even your responses are to things that are from last week :p

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

The Franchise wrote:shannon teaming up with the canadiens, i guess we get to see if #2+ #4 is > #1 at this event
So what's the verdict?
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Kevbozzz wrote:
The Franchise wrote:shannon teaming up with the canadiens, i guess we get to see if #2+ #4 is > #1 at this event
So what's the verdict?

GUILTY!

err... i mean... good work. if i was good at photoshop, i'd add your faces to the following picutre and declare you all the new world order of professional swccg

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

I'm impressed you were able to get skilton's face on the first guy. Adding the rest of us shouldn't be too tough.
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

/ Throws toothpick

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

stevetotheizz0 wrote:/ Throws toothpick
It's all just fun & games until a drunken Razor Ramon puts out someone's eye.

Return to “2014 Match Play Championship - Jan 24-26”