Snitches Get Stiches

New Brunswick, NJ
Pistone84

Re: Snitches Get Stiches

Post by Pistone84 »

I'm not sure what accomplishment is best, but if you're talking about a single tournament result it has to either be Baroni repeating as MPC champ or Clint Hays' called shot at origins.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Kevin Shannon won Worlds 3 times in 5 years (yeah, I went there). The 2nd time, the day 3 field was probably the toughest Day 3 field there's been, so that might be up there for singular accomplishment (that was also the largest Day 2 field for a PC era Worlds).
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by DVD ROTS »

Wait, Shannon won 3? Which one did I miss?

ETA: Oh, that's a NAC comment, NVM.
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

spideyguy0 wrote:Kevin Shannon won Worlds 3 times in 5 years (yeah, I went there). The 2nd time, the day 3 field was probably the toughest Day 3 field there's been, so that might be up there for singular accomplishment (that was also the largest Day 2 field for a PC era Worlds).
yah i would say that the first time he won worlds was an insane accomplishment, esp since he was basically unstoppable before and after that too. didn't he win the mpc after that? beating reid in teh finals iirc?
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

mikefrench wrote:
spideyguy0 wrote:Kevin Shannon won Worlds 3 times in 5 years (yeah, I went there). The 2nd time, the day 3 field was probably the toughest Day 3 field there's been, so that might be up there for singular accomplishment (that was also the largest Day 2 field for a PC era Worlds).
yah i would say that the first time he won worlds was an insane accomplishment, esp since he was basically unstoppable before and after that too. didn't he win the mpc after that? beating reid in teh finals iirc?
I think Kevin won MPC '10 after Worlds '08, so a year apart.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

dashmudtz

Post by dashmudtz »

DVD ROTS wrote:Wait, Shannon won 3? Which one did I miss?

ETA: Oh, that's a NAC comment, NVM.
Can't wait for the Toronto worlds to happen so everyone can complain about how it isn't legit all over again.
kryptofis wrote:Ghh g:o:o:o:cry::P:cry::o8-):o:o:o:roll::cry::o:o:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::ugeek::ugeek::ugeek::P:P:roll::cry::cry::cry::roll:[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]:roll::roll::x[URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL]:x[URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL]yyy r y

C g y
Hux
G. Giuuuh[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

gogolen
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Toronto is part of north america so it counts :p

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

dashmudtz

Post by dashmudtz »

But it's not part of 'murica
kryptofis wrote:Ghh g:o:o:o:cry::P:cry::o8-):o:o:o:roll::cry::o:o:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::ugeek::ugeek::ugeek::P:P:roll::cry::cry::cry::roll:[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]:roll::roll::x[URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL]:x[URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL]yyy r y

C g y
Hux
G. Giuuuh[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

gogolen
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

allstarz97 wrote:
WiseMarsellus wrote:greatest swccg achievement, i'd say jon chu's worlds record. two championships, has made day 3 every time he's been to worlds except one year where he was dqed for a decklist error when he was (i believe) 7-0
6-1, but yeah if you count that as one accomplishment then sure.
Singular event idk, I have a good one but its tough to compare things like that.
Justin's run in 2003 going 8-0 in 2 straight majors and then 5-0 to start day 2 of worlds was a pretty impressive streak

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Close enough, they have crack.

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

Debating this kinda stuff is like trying to compare Bart Starr to Fran Tarkenton. Or Terry bradshaw to Tom Brady.

The game itself has changed over the years. Back in the day you had to Meta vs the field; nowadays, while that holds true to a point, especially in match play, more importance is placed on meta'ing the players you expect to face in the match play portion of an event (see Chu w/ 2x Free Ride combos vs Emil).

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

Guys, the single greatest accomplishment was me winning CT states in 2003. Go look who was at that tournament. And then Chu conceded to me in the final. Whaaaat.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

Even if I win this year which I doubt will happen. It's not even close to the greatest accomishment. You can't really compare justin going back to back undefeateds to anything really

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Hayes wrote:
WiseMarsellus wrote:or perhaps brian hunter's four and a half years (or however long it was) ranked as number one in the world, also very impressive
Not hardly considering he left the state of Colorado maybe three times during that time period (whereas most other highly rated players actually attended GenCon, DecipherCon, etc)
Successful troll is successful! I will take this bait, and let you have your fun (even though you already know the truths that I'm about to post).

Firstly, you forget to mention that some of those highly-rated players (who attended GenCon, DecipherCon, etc) actually did NOT attend their own local events very often, because they were afraid, and admitted they were afraid, to risk their ratings in a minefield. The opponents they would face at major events (and particularly the events that were not open invitation, but had to be qualified for) were more predictable, and would have higher ratings. And opponents with higher ratings would mean greater rewards if they could win, and less damage if they were to lose. Local events were too dangerous, and once they'd built a strong rating (one that was worth worrying about losing) they didn't have the stomach for them anymore. But I did.

Next, yes, I played outside of Colorado very little during my *first* reign as the top player in the world, which lasted less than a year and a half. 3 events outside of Colorado during that time period is probably pretty accurate, and I've never had any problem saying so.

But during my second reign as the world's best player, which lasted four and a half years (and all the way up until they got rid of the rating system they'd used for the game's entire history up to that point, and replaced it with the variable K-value system instead) I played in major events outside of my state all the time.

Those 4 1/2 years included 2002, in which I was the "Brian Herold" of SWCCG (guy who travels to practically every major event occurring anywhere in the country) before a lot of people had even heard of the real Brian Herold. I competed in 27 tournaments that year (including 6 majors) and won 26 of the 27, including 5 of the 6 major events, with the World Championship being the only event where I had to settle for anything less than 1st place.

During those 4 1/2 years, I did go to GenCon, and I did go to DecipherCon (as well as Origins, and DragonCon, and other events) and I played virtually EVERYONE who was ANYONE in this game. And no one else could take the throne. And it went on for so long that they had to change the rules of how the throne is awarded, before anyone else could be found in it.

So yeah, I would agree with WiseMarsellus that my second reign at #1 was one of the more amazing things that has ever been done in this game.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

To comment on "most impressive single tournament result": Obviously I have a truckload of first place finishes to choose from, if I wanted to try and put myself at the top of this category too. But no, I don't think I have the game's most impressive single tournament result. I've never been shy about saying that the 2001 World Championship was the most prestigious tournament in the game's history. You will never find that much SWCCG-playing talent in one room again. Ever. There was like ONE relevant player in the entire world who missed that event. All the greats of the previous 6 years were there, all the greats of the next 6 years were there, and you wound up with a Top 4 (including both the world's #1 and #2 ranked players) where every competitor possessed every skill you could ever hope for a champion to have.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Yeah, but a euro won, so it doesn't count
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Walsetmd
LS Region: Bespin
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Walsetmd »

OK - Way to sucker me in. I just wasted 30 min, getting caught up and reading all 6 pages of this. So many fun topics and things to debate. At many times I laughed and cringed, but to keep this short this was my favorite post.
The Franchise wrote:HOW THE HELL CAN YOU PEOPLE NOT FIGURE THIS OUT? i mean, steve and justin might be the 2 best players now. maybe they cant lose- but if thats the case, why even bother to play? i mean, i guess reid and kevin challenge them some times, but even they seem to end up on the wrong end usually. who else is there? the canadiens? team 12 year old from minnesoda? team internet hype that tells us gogolen and konkser are gonna have a breakthrough year this year (we have heard this for about 6 years now and it hasnt happened)? the europeans? child please.
I laughed for many reason, I think mostly cause there's truth behind it, or cause it's spelled "soda." It was really funny man.
Walseth Top 8 (2015)
RMS FTW MN FTW Bespin FTW

MrPurple

Post by MrPurple »

Hunter wrote:

But during my second reign as the world's best player....
You're so cocky. You were merely the highest rated player.
Matt Sokol

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

MrPurple wrote:
Hunter wrote:

But during my second reign as the world's best player....
You're so cocky. You were merely the highest rated player.
I think you gotta give him the best at the time too.

I was around then (and for your win in 2000), and I remember all the criticisms on Decktech about Brian Hunter never traveling, his rating being bogus, him being overrated, he'd just lose to good players, etc.

Then I remember him attending tons of DPCs and just ripping through the field.

Anyone still thinking the former things just have that first impression stuck in their head, cause it was ridiculous how many tournaments he traveled to and won.

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

Hunter wrote:To comment on "most impressive single tournament result": Obviously I have a truckload of first place finishes to choose from, if I wanted to try and put myself at the top of this category too. But no, I don't think I have the game's most impressive single tournament result. I've never been shy about saying that the 2001 World Championship was the most prestigious tournament in the game's history. You will never find that much SWCCG-playing talent in one room again. Ever. There was like ONE relevant player in the entire world who missed that event. All the greats of the previous 6 years were there, all the greats of the next 6 years were there, and you wound up with a Top 4 (including both the world's #1 and #2 ranked players) where every competitor possessed every skill you could ever hope for a champion to have.

You must be smoking that sticky icky icky right now if you think that is the most prestigious event ever. There wasn't even a worlds that year, wasn't it freedomcon? You probably posted that at one of those legal marijuana coffee spots huh?

I could be mistaken but weren't the Canadians only there for LOTR. Didn't have the player base at that point start moving onto LOTR? I don't think you can even compare that to 2000 Worlds (the last real world championships). Aside from Sokol day 3 was completely STACKED. And that dude won without a luke.

In all seriousness though I am actually extremely surprised to hear you say that was the most prestigious event ever. However the single greatest star wars achievement did occur that weekend. You're crushing defeat of Mike for all his decktech points will forever go down in the history books.

Return to “2014 Match Play Championship - Jan 24-26”