Snitches Get Stiches

New Brunswick, NJ
MrPurple
LS Region: Coruscant

Re: Snitches Get Stiches

Post by MrPurple »

Steviegets112 wrote:
I could be mistaken but weren't the Canadians only there for LOTR. Didn't have the player base at that point start moving onto LOTR? I don't think you can even compare that to 2000 Worlds (the last real world championships). Aside from Sokol day 3 was completely STACKED. And that dude won without a luke.
I don't get any respect, and I won that freaking event. Give me a number 4 seed and put me in Steve's bracket.

Matt Sokol

gogolen
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

MrPurple wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:
I could be mistaken but weren't the Canadians only there for LOTR. Didn't have the player base at that point start moving onto LOTR? I don't think you can even compare that to 2000 Worlds (the last real world championships). Aside from Sokol day 3 was completely STACKED. And that dude won without a luke.
I don't get any respect, and I won that freaking event. Give me a number 4 seed and put me in Steve's bracket.
THIS sounds interesting...

:shock:

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

MrPurple

Post by MrPurple »

gogolen wrote:
MrPurple wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:
THIS sounds interesting...

:shock:
Crap, I had to open my big mouth :-D I am going back to not posting on the forums!
Matt Sokol

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

MrPurple wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:

Woah woah woah. Let's slooowwww down just a bit and not go and do all that.

And Sokol that was me giving you ALOT respect. All I was saying was before that tournament you didn't really stack up with most of that day 3 field.

MrPurple

Post by MrPurple »

Steviegets112 wrote:
MrPurple wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:

Woah woah woah. Let's slooowwww down just a bit and not go and do all that.

And Sokol that was me giving you ALOT respect. All I was saying was before that tournament you didn't really stack up with most of that day 3 field.
Steve, I heart you. Let's just meet in the finals then.
Matt Sokol

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

So I guess anybody that posted in this thread (myself included now?) should be put in a bracket with Steve? Sounds like everybody is asking for the chance to take him out early. Be careful what you wish for.

Or maybe people just want to make sure they're eliminated early to take part in the consolation/side events?

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

this thread is def living up to expectations.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

I still don't really understand the title in relation to this thread.

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

MrPurple wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:
Stop playing Profit at every event!
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

Pistone84 wrote:I'm not sure what accomplishment is best, but if you're talking about a single tournament result it has to either be Baroni repeating as MPC champ or Clint Hays' called shot at origins.
The single best accomplishment in swccg history is when Hayes was playing Paul Myers at DecipherCon 2002 and Hayes Hunter played an interrupt at the beginning of the game and asked Paul if he had anything to play. Paul said no, and Hayes said, "I pass, on to your Control phase."
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

MrPurple

Post by MrPurple »

mr007agent wrote:
MrPurple wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:
Never! New decks require too much thinking and effort. .
Matt Sokol

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

MrPurple wrote:
mr007agent wrote:
MrPurple wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:
It keeps working for Brian Fred (if by working you mean going 5-3 at every event)

PC Store Manager
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

gogolen wrote:
MrPurple wrote:
mr007agent wrote:
MrPurple wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:
It keeps working for Brian Fred (if by working you mean going 5-3 at every event)
Keeps working for someone else too

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Steviegets112 wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:

Only if you believe that DA REAL CHAMP guy, and he sounds full of cr@p

PC Store Manager

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

gogolen wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:
Steviegets112 wrote:

Only if you believe that DA REAL CHAMP guy, and he sounds full of cr@p

The hate is strong with this one

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

arebelspy wrote:
MrPurple wrote:
Hunter wrote:
But during my second reign as the world's best player....
You're so cocky. You were merely the highest rated player.
I think you gotta give him the best at the time too.

I was around then (and for your win in 2000), and I remember all the criticisms on Decktech about Brian Hunter never traveling, his rating being bogus, him being overrated, he'd just lose to good players, etc.

Then I remember him attending tons of DPCs and just ripping through the field.

Anyone still thinking the former things just have that first impression stuck in their head, cause it was ridiculous how many tournaments he traveled to and won.
See, and this guy doesn't even like me.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Steviegets112 wrote:You must be smoking that sticky icky icky right now if you think that is the most prestigious event ever. There wasn't even a worlds that year, wasn't it freedomcon? You probably posted that at one of those legal marijuana coffee spots huh?
The next time I smoke the sticky icky icky will be the first time. Yes, the 2001 World Championship was at FreedomCon. And yeah, I still say it was the most prestigious event ever.
Steviegets112 wrote: I could be mistaken but weren't the Canadians only there for LOTR. Didn't have the player base at that point start moving onto LOTR? I don't think you can even compare that to 2000 Worlds (the last real world championships). Aside from Sokol day 3 was completely STACKED. And that dude won without a luke.
No, the Canadians were not only there for LOTR. They played SWCCG. I don't even remember there being a LOTR event. And no, none of the player base had moved on to LOTR, considering that the game didn't even launch until November of 2001 (oops?) So the Lord of the Rings TCG couldn't have been more than a few days old yet when the 2001 World Championship for SWCCG was held, if it had been released at all. I don't really remember much about the Day 3 field from 2000. I know Kyle Craft was in it. Then there were some people who must not have made the cut in 2001. I assume Sokol was there in 2001 and didn't make the cut? But I don't know for sure, I didn't know what he looked like. Yannick was there and missed the cut, I know that. Let me do a little digging, and see who else was in that Day 3 field. Clint Hays, who missed the cut in 2001. Dom, who missed the cut in 2001. Raphael, who missed the cut in 2001. Rippetoe, who missed the cut in 2001, after I dealt him back-to-back losses following his 5-0 start. Paul Todd Feldman was in the Day 3 field in 2000. *cough* I don't know, I think I'll take the Day 3 field from 2001, with Bastian, myself, Hayes, Kevin Shannon, etc.
Steviegets112 wrote: However the single greatest star wars achievement did occur that weekend. You're crushing defeat of Mike for all his decktech points will forever go down in the history books.
I have no comeback for that. :-D

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

Hunter wrote:No, the Canadians were not only there for LOTR. They played SWCCG. I don't even remember there being a LOTR event. And no, none of the player base had moved on to LOTR, considering that the game didn't even launch until November of 2001 (oops?) So the Lord of the Rings TCG couldn't have been more than a few days old yet when the 2001 World Championship for SWCCG was held, if it had been released at all.
I missed day 3 due to differential that year, and those of us who missed it played a bunch of lotr in the next room (we had bought a lot of boxes really cheap from Potomac after knocking on the door at their storage early in the morning and literally not leaving til they had sold us the boxes). That being said, SWCCG was (obviously) still the main event.
Let me do a little digging, and see who else was in that Day 3 field. Clint Hays, who missed the cut in 2001. Dom, who missed the cut in 2001. Raphael, who missed the cut in 2001. Rippetoe, who missed the cut in 2001, after I dealt him back-to-back losses following his 5-0 start. Paul Todd Feldman was in the Day 3 field in 2000. *cough* I don't know, I think I'll take the Day 3 field from 2001, with Bastian, myself, Hayes, Kevin Shannon, etc.
Also, Martin Åkesson, one of the best players to play this game, who lost the final to Bastian 2001. Bastian played one of Martin's decks, so basically Martin had 3 out 4 decks in the finals.
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

WORLDS 2001
Bastian Winklehaus def. Kevin Shannon
Hayes Hunter def. Scott Lingrell
Martin Akesson def. Brad Reinhold
Brian Hunter def. Andy McClure

Bastian Winklehaus def. Brian Hunter
Martin Akesson def. Hayes Hunter

Bastian Winklehaus def. Martin Akesson

WORLDS 2000
Yannick Lapointe 8 (+47)
Matt Sokol 6 (+23)
Kyle Craft 6 (+2)
Kevin Shannon 5 (+29)
Dominic Gaudreault 4 (+28)
Martin Falke 4 (+10)
Raphael Asselin 4 (+4)
Clint Hays 4 (-17)
Brian Rippetoe 2 (-19)
Gary Carman 2 (-38)
Paul Todd Feldman 2 (-39)
Steve Brentson 0 (-32)

Matt Sokol def. Yannick Lapointe (FL -20, FW +25)
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

spideyguy0 wrote:WORLDS 2001
Bastian Winklehaus def. Kevin Shannon
Hayes Hunter def. Scott Lingrell
Martin Akesson def. Brad Reinhold
Brian Hunter def. Andy McClure
the presence of scott lingrell in this top 8 disproves hunter's argument.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

Return to “2014 Match Play Championship - Jan 24-26”