New Brunswick, NJ
Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

How to make it better?

Post by Advocate »

I need to add brackets to the packets

Screen name on badges

Have people off site do commentary for each feature game. Have them sign up or something.

Anything else?

@swccg

@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Re: How to make it better?

Post by puck71 »

cheaper hotel rooms. seems like they've gone up about 10 bucks each year.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Warmer weather.

abanger0
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: abanger
GEMP Username: abanger

Post by abanger0 »

stevetotheizz0 wrote:Warmer weather.
This. All winter events should be held in warmer climates.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Are you kidding? This is the best event of the year. You, Kim, gogolen, and everyone involved with running it did a fantastic job, thanks for your great work.

If I had to be picky, I'd say push the registration deadline one week earlier like it was last year. Also I feel like for any big event, everyone pitching in an extra $5-10 in the cost of registration to have subway sandwiches or something catered in the game room for lunch at the main would be pretty epic. It is really rough if you don't have enough time to run and get something between games, which is pretty often.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

abanger0 wrote:
stevetotheizz0 wrote:Warmer weather.
This. All winter events should be held in warmer climates.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Advocate
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Food is tricky, ill see what we can do. Any events, sealed or themed, etc you would want for late night fun games?

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

dorshe1
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1

Post by dorshe1 »

This was my first event, so bear with me. Here are the things I would suggest:

1) Seeding - I don't know how long it takes for seeding; however, I think that it might be better to close registration and then rank people 1 - 64. At the day of the event (or the night before) you should have a list of the most likely cancellations. You could then seed everyone and post it the morning of the main event. It would change the aspect of teching for your bracket (since you won't know your bracket ahead of time), but it will also prevent a 16 seed from advancing round one because a #1 misses the event.
2) Having a list of places that deliver to the hotel would be nice.
3) I think it was discussed at the event, but no switching decks on the final day. That would ease the problem of 'scouting' since there won't be any adjustments to be made on the final day.

The event was pretty sweet, so while these are major changes (except #2) I think the event was awesome and will probably still be awesome if the changes are made, but I think this might make it better.

Thanks!

Nate

agnos

Post by agnos »

Honestly, the only 'issue' I see with the MPC has to deal with when the set is released before it. It's not conducive to pt to have large sets PT'd during the halloween-thanksgiving-christmas season. That makes it tough to get set out fully with a month to spare prior to the MPC unless the MPC is pushed until late January or Mid February. I'd consider looking at how and when the sets are released and their sizes.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

Advocate wrote:I need to add brackets to the packets

Screen name on badges

Have people off site do commentary for each feature game. Have them sign up or something.

Anything else?

@swccg
all of these seem solid.

With the unbelievably awesome setup Raith/you had, commentary is both easy and a breeze. I would love to commentate on events in the future, but especially so with a little notice. Even small things for commentators (like having decklists for them) makes the quality go way up.
Well, Bye.

Advocate
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

I guess logistically scanning and emailing decklists via email for the commentator would be smart too. Maybe a neat scanner?

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Advocate
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Did people like the shirts? Should be do them again? Next time I would want to have people give sizes as well.

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Having the decklists in front of us for commentary was a huge help, as was having Holodeck open for reference. I helped Stephen build his decks in the final 4, but just being able to have the list in front of me while doing the broadcast was super helpful, because I was able to visualize the entire deck at once. Sports commentators do their thing with a whole packet of player and team notes in front of them.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

spideyguy0 wrote:Having the decklists in front of us for commentary was a huge help, as was having Holodeck open for reference. I helped Stephen build his decks in the final 4, but just being able to have the list in front of me while doing the broadcast was super helpful, because I was able to visualize the entire deck at once. Sports commentators do their thing with a whole packet of player and team notes in front of them.
I was trying to get get Kim to get someone to get them to me during Saturday's games, but I probably should have been talking to someone else.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

kcaton
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by kcaton »

Dude, I PMd you for your cell # so I could take pictures of the decklists and send them to your phone for you, but you never got back to me with it.

That being said, I'm not sure that decklists should be given to anyone but official commentators once this system is established, since that info could otherwise very easily make its way into the hands of players in the event.

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

Almost 10 years ago the L5R guys I associate with started holding one regional tournament every other year on a cruise in early December or later in January (whenever the slower part of the tourist busy season is). The CEO of AEG, John Zinser, always attended with his wife, so there wasnt a tournament fee because he always provided the prize support (product). The tournament organizer / group leader always got enough folks to go to net him a free cabin, typically 20-40 depending on the year.

Obviously it costs more than a flight to Jersey and a hotel room for a couple of nights, but not that much more, plus you can do non-card stuff with your buddies, AND get the buy in from your SO (my fiance and I have gone on 4 of these).

Last time I went, two years ago, it was like $1200 or $1300 total for me and my fiance to fly and pay for our cabin. That was for a 5 day cruise, all food included. We bought alcohol in advance and brought it aboard in rum runner flasks; when we ran out we bought duty free * and poured it into a liter sized water bottle to bring back on the boat. The day at sea was the only time anyone played much cards; the rest of the time was just spent like a regular cruise (with better/nerdier company).

BTW, the cruise doesn't charge you to use their ample table space.

agnos

Post by agnos »

I second what Hayes said.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Advocate wrote:Anything else?
Swiss style pairings.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

kcaton wrote:Dude, I PMd you for your cell # so I could take pictures of the decklists and send them to your phone for you, but you never got back to me with it.

That being said, I'm not sure that decklists should be given to anyone but official commentators once this system is established, since that info could otherwise very easily make its way into the hands of players in the event.
kcaton wrote:Ah, ok. That I can do -- next feature match will be Shaw and his opponent. I'll see what I can do.
That's the last PM I got.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

agnos wrote:I second what Hayes said.
Plus we could sail out of Galveston and all crash at Richards place before/after. Seems like a win/win.

Return to “2014 Match Play Championship - Jan 24-26”