How to make it better?

New Brunswick, NJ
Platypus
GEMP Username: platy

Re: How to make it better?

Post by Platypus »

JediJer wrote:
Kevbozzz wrote:I'd prefer if next year's mpc didn't have deck switches between day 1 & 2. Both days have a match play format, and it should feel like one long bracket event, not two separate events like most Swiss/match play tournies.
I totally agree with this. While this will never be an issue for me personally, it really makes sense. In the NCAA the final four don't get to recruit a new team based on their final two opponents.
Maybe even give out the top 4 decklists to everyone that night? That way any scouting is neutralized?

BSG 13-6 AGOT 2-0 AH 1-0 I also played SWCCG :)

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

That's what mtg goes right platy?

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Advocate wrote:That's what mtg goes right platy?

@swccg
Yes.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

I just wanted to thank Scott, Kim, Gogolen and everyone that made this happen. Spending the weekend at the Hyatt in January has become something I look forward to every year.

Also it's great to come home and have about 7 hours of online game footage with commentary that I can watch. So thanks to Raith and anyone who sat down to do commentary, etc.

As usual, this was pretty awesome.

I could definitely get behind having catered lunch on site for an extra fee. If you need any suggestions, Famous Daves caters......

http://www.famousdaves.com/catering/form?location=75

agnos

Post by agnos »

WiseMarsellus wrote:
Shewski wrote:
Have people off site do commentary for each feature game. Have them sign up or something.
Having popped my cherry, I can't tell you how good it is to have people sign up who are THERE. So many times we could send jan or I in to move a pile for visibility, peek at cards under stone pile get life force counts etc. You can't realistically do that from a distance.
people being there is so much better, agree. and you can have guests wandering in, and a rotating crew, and people with actual stories from the event, all that stuff. i caught some of the broadcasts this weekend and dude you and jan killed it
Some people may love them, but I hated that fact that there was no real analysis of board position, expected plays, etc. Plus, them being so wrong so often (especially re: Ellors being shut off, just continued to frustrate me. That's just a preference though; I've never terribly loved color commentary and always preferred more analysis similar. Like I like color commentary in bits and pieces but not as much as it was with those two.

That said, it's far harder to be a commentator than I expected.

Advocate
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

As far as on site commentary, logistically its tough to get enough players to play and have people volunteer...but someone is always available at home. Assuming they don't pass out the list, its ok. If they do pass out the lost, our community would take care of him so to speak.

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

agnos wrote:
WiseMarsellus wrote:
Shewski wrote:
Have people off site do commentary for each feature game. Have them sign up or something.
Having popped my cherry, I can't tell you how good it is to have people sign up who are THERE. So many times we could send jan or I in to move a pile for visibility, peek at cards under stone pile get life force counts etc. You can't realistically do that from a distance.
people being there is so much better, agree. and you can have guests wandering in, and a rotating crew, and people with actual stories from the event, all that stuff. i caught some of the broadcasts this weekend and dude you and jan killed it
Some people may love them, but I hated that fact that there was no real analysis of board position, expected plays, etc. Plus, them being so wrong so often (especially re: Ellors being shut off, just continued to frustrate me. That's just a preference though; I've never terribly loved color commentary and always preferred more analysis similar. Like I like color commentary in bits and pieces but not as much as it was with those two.

That said, it's far harder to be a commentator than I expected.
If only someone was there to talk about how bad of a matchup Reid had against Harpster two turns before Harpster conceded the match because he lost by so much...

RybackStun
GEMP Username: RybackStun

Post by RybackStun »

A combination of on location caster and at-home caster would be pretty interesting. I'm sure there will always be a good supply of at-home individuals but your biggest problem would be on location casters.

Maybe a first and second round at-home duo with an early knocked out big player taking over one of the slots after the second or third round. Then, whomever is qualified to cast higher level gameplay would be the on location caster for the semis and finals and a similarly qualified home viewer on the other end.

Just an idea.

kcaton
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by kcaton »

VadersLackey wrote:I think overall the MPC is always great and I think Kim is awesome. With that said though, I think she could definitely use some help, there is just so much to keep track of once the first round is over I think things go off the rail a little. My personal opinion would be to keep the room more organized. The first round all the tables are the main event, after the first round the center row should be the main event with one person overseeing the clock, another row of tables should only be the consolation tournament with another person running the clock and overseeing the tournament, and the third row of tables would be dedicated to all playing sealed with a third person overseeing the tournament.

During the day a lot of people kept playing games without realizing time had been called which can completely change game outcomes, a person may win when time is called but may lose if they accidentally played two extra turns. Also I was playing in the consolation tournament at the same table as two people playing in the sealed deck. I think doing it the way I suggested will keep the day more structured and easier to keep moving forward smoothly.
Each tournament was intended to have its own row; however, the seatings for the main event would be placed, I'd go back to the TD table to get the next tourney ready to go, and while my back was turned players in the first event decided that they wanted to play at their own table and would get up and move to another row full of empty tables. This didn't actually net them their own table, since it simply meant that the space next to them would be used for another tournament's game... But it kept happening. This happened multiple times after I specifically asked the players to stay where they were seated since each tourney was going to have its own row. And this absolutely led to people not realizing that time was called in their event.

Point of this being that if people actually listen to the instructions and do as they're told, things stay more organized. However, I am always happy for more help :)

Advocate
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Table markers would help. That sounds like a good idea

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Advocate
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Good discussion guys. Keep it coming.

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Advocate
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

I did table markers at RamapoCon and I think it helped.

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

Advocate wrote:Good discussion guys. Keep it coming.

@swccg
Even though people are discussing ways to improve the event, I hope you realize that you guys did an amazing job and everyone had a blast.

My suggestion is to widen the table-camera stand, as it is hard to fit a bunch of locations within its boundaries (I had to put my effects and shields up on the wooden base).
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

RybackStun
GEMP Username: RybackStun

Post by RybackStun »

Kevbozzz wrote:
Advocate wrote:Good discussion guys. Keep it coming.

@swccg
Even though people are discussing ways to improve the event, I hope you realize that you guys did an amazing job and everyone had a blast.

My suggestion is to widen the table-camera stand, as it is hard to fit a bunch of locations within its boundaries (I had to put my effects and shields up on the wooden base).
That may or may not be possible due to the stability of the contraption and how much weight it can hold extended across the surface area of the PVC.

Although I guess they can use Vice Grips to hold the thing down to the table if they need to.

(Better suggestion, stop playing so many locations ;) )

Blarg
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Blarg »

The more locations, the funner the game.

kcaton

Post by kcaton »

Advocate wrote:I did table markers at RamapoCon and I think it helped.

@swccg
Agreed. But even table markers still require that players STAY WHERE THEYRE PUT.

Advocate
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Kevin,

I know the event was amazing, don't worry. I am just striving for perfection.

I am going to work on the video stand.and seeing if it can be widened. I might look at options for table.markers Kim and see what would stay put.

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

I think Kim's point was that the players would need to stay put, not the table markers.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

dorshe1
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1

Post by dorshe1 »

Advocate wrote:Kevin,

I know the event was amazing, don't worry. I am just striving for perfection.

I am going to work on the video stand.and seeing if it can be widened. I might look at options for table.markers Kim and see what would stay put.

@swccg
Make the participants wear google glasses on separate feeds. Then you can see what each of them is seeing in real time :-D

Thanks!

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

Lol I'm pretty sure it's not the table markers that ignore Kim's instructions and drive her crazy...

Firsted by Scho, but posting nonetheless.
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

Return to “2014 Match Play Championship - Jan 24-26”