How to make it better?

New Brunswick, NJ
rhendon

Re: How to make it better?

Post by rhendon »

Clayton Atkin wrote:
Just thinking out loud here for a sec. Wouldn't the MPC make more sense during the warmer months? I know there were numerous flights delayed coming home from the event. I know that Kevin and Kyle both got delayed and re-routed. The fact that it was so cold made it so that us "out of towners" really only ventured a few blocks away from the hotel at most.

I dunno....possibly switch the dates of the SDGP with the MCP? Winter in San Diego is still 60-70 degrees, just with some added rain.
This is what I was thinking as well. I'm terrified to fly to the north during winter. I'm not sure I can handle snow and freezing temps.

Pistone84

Post by Pistone84 »

Advocate wrote:Any other suggestions regarding anything?

@swccg
Give out worlds byes at the side events.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

RybackStun wrote:
Kevbozzz wrote:
Advocate wrote:Good discussion guys. Keep it coming.

@swccg
Even though people are discussing ways to improve the event, I hope you realize that you guys did an amazing job and everyone had a blast.

My suggestion is to widen the table-camera stand, as it is hard to fit a bunch of locations within its boundaries (I had to put my effects and shields up on the wooden base).
That may or may not be possible due to the stability of the contraption and how much weight it can hold extended across the surface area of the PVC.

Although I guess they can use Vice Grips to hold the thing down to the table if they need to.

(Better suggestion, stop playing so many locations ;) )
It was pretty stable, and doesn't need to be much longer. The PVC bar across the top is as follows:
Elbow, long section, connector, very small section, connector, long section, elbow

We can just replace the very small section in the middle with one a little bit bigger and the whole thing grows while staying symmetrical. No measuring is needed!
Greg Zinn

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Gergall wrote:doesn't need to be much longer.
Even just another 3 or 4 more inches and Kevbozzz would've been satisfied with it.
Greg Zinn

Pistone84

Post by Pistone84 »

That's what she said

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

We've discussed moving the MPC date with another event before, and will consider it again. One of the issues though is that its the only event that draws about the same number of players as Worlds, and I think one of the reasons it does is because they are about 6 months apart.

That gives people a chance to recoup some funds from their last travel outing and it breaks up the tournament season. We will discuss it again this summer and see what can be done. Switching with TMW is the notion we were toying with this year. Other than a freak storm in the South right now, its usually fairly decent in the Houston area this time of year.

No promises, but it will be considered again.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

This is a little crazy, but switching all 3: TMW, SoCal, and MPC would give you theoretically the best climate for all 3.
TMW = Oct
Socal = Jan
MPC = April

NoLimit
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by NoLimit »

Clayton Atkin wrote:It's already been brought up about not switching decks for the top 4. Keeping the same decks would make it a true Match Play Championship. Kevin and I talked about this during our * cab ride to the airport. If the top 4 had played the same decks, I think that Stephen Cellucci probably would have won. That light deck of his was perfect to help him run the table.
It certainly would have precluded the scenario wherein I stay up till 3am building a DS deck I've never played before for day 2 (vs Matt HT playing WYS v, at that).

But all personal ramifications aside, I agree - I think for the match play format specifically, it makes more sense to keep the same decks throughout. As for Matt straight up outplaying me, I'm not sure there's any structural change that could have prevented that.

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

stevetotheizz0 wrote:This is a little crazy, but switching all 3: TMW, SoCal, and MPC would give you theoretically the best climate for all 3.
TMW = Oct
Socal = Jan
MPC = April
Well technically you'd get the best climate if every event were held in San Diego :-D

That's an interesting proposal tho. I'd host in January if that worked for the rest of the groups.
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

As a matter of self-interest, I would love that schedule- I wouldn't have to travel for the January event but could still help out with it, and April is much more likely to be free for me to MPC. :)
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

NoLimit
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by NoLimit »

I also think Steve's proposed new schedule is a great idea.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

gogolen wrote:We've discussed moving the MPC date with another event before, and will consider it again. One of the issues though is that its the only event that draws about the same number of players as Worlds, and I think one of the reasons it does is because they are about 6 months apart.

That gives people a chance to recoup some funds from their last travel outing and it breaks up the tournament season. We will discuss it again this summer and see what can be done. Switching with TMW is the notion we were toying with this year. Other than a freak storm in the South right now, its usually fairly decent in the Houston area this time of year.

No promises, but it will be considered again.
MPC 2010 was in April and TMW was in Jan after an October Worlds in 2009 and it didn't seem to affect attendance that much at any of those events (full bracket for MPC and 24 people at TMW).

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

JediJer wrote: MPC 2010 was in April and TMW was in Jan after an October Worlds in 2009 and it didn't seem to affect attendance that much at any of those events (full bracket for MPC and 24 people at TMW).
I attended both those events and can confirm that they were real things that Jedi Jer did not just make up.

/shifty eyes

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

arebelspy wrote:
JediJer wrote: MPC 2010 was in April and TMW was in Jan after an October Worlds in 2009 and it didn't seem to affect attendance that much at any of those events (full bracket for MPC and 24 people at TMW).
I attended both those events and can confirm that they were real things that Jedi Jer did not just make up.

/shifty eyes
I can confirm as well, both events were successful.
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

Was that when I lost my wallet?

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

If so, I will confirm what they say.

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

Was that when I found a free wallet full of cash?

If so, I will confirm what they say.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

that was the first MPC I attended. Learned dominion from a drunk mike french/kyle krueger combo.
Well, Bye.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

were we drunk? its possible, i think desai or baroni or gemme bought everyone a round of awful whiskey at some point (wild turkey?).

i remember playing dominion for literally 10 hours straight with kyle and kim and some others. so much fun.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

mikefrench wrote:were we drunk? its possible, i think desai or baroni or gemme bought everyone a round of awful whiskey at some point (wild turkey?).

i remember playing dominion for literally 10 hours straight with kyle and kim and some others. so much fun.
You should start coming out to events again.

ImageImageImage

Return to “2014 Match Play Championship - Jan 24-26”