TB´s TR from €C14

Bochum, Germany
TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

TB´s TR from €C14

Post by TB »

TB´s TR from the EC 14

During the last couple of years the Scandinavian SWCCG scene has grown really strong. In spite of annoying IRL distractions like kids, girlfriends and the need to accumulate money we have been able to follow the legacy meta and play regularly in order to improve our skills. With Emil and Par entering the fray, the level of competition at locals has been high and we have been doing quite well at various tourneys across Europe. Yeah, and Emil has won two world championships in the same period but he is a huge beast from another planet so I don’t know if that really counts.

Going into this event I felt rather confident in my DS choice. I wanted to play Shaws droid deck and he was kind enough to give me some pointers along the way. My beloved BHBM had failed me at toola regionals and I felt that the European scene had figured out how to beat it. Especially after Chris Menzel humiliated it with senate at toola withput ever putting out a BG. I had tinkered with Shaws build a bit and it beats anything but casper and kristians silly but brilliant beatdown scoundrels build. I felt, though, that if I was ever to beat that deck with my limited skill package, the sep up droid deck would be the deck I could do it with. This theory would later be confirmed. I modified my latest build of it, took out some stuff and put in zimh, insignificant rebellion, an extra ghhk combo and was ready to go.

For LS I had three options; my ever trustworthy TIGIH that is a modified version of Emils old ITA mains build. I love it and it is very strong if HDv or HD is not prevalent. I didn’t know what people would bring, so it felt like a bit of a cointoss. My other option was WYS v. Last year I finally got convinced to drop my old tech with general solo pulling the back door and then putting scout luke v there with meditation and bionic hand to retrieve one and take attention away from corellia sites. It was very good but running the conform version with 4 corellia sites is just better period. The last option that I looked into was twiggs HB from worlds. I played my own version of kingerys (or chu?) version a lot and this was leaner and more efficient. Love it. When I drove down to Bochum from Copenhagen with a car full of drunk Vikings I still hadn’t decided what LS deck to play.

We arrived Thursday and started playing at the hotel right away. Lots of reset and legacy games went down and I tested the HB three times. I won one and lost two close games. Problem is that I ALWAYS get probed first or second time they try to go to space and EVERY counter beat gets houjixed. That horrible feeling was exactly what I didn’t like with the old deck so I decided to drop it. So now the choice was down to either tigih or wys v.

We played a lot of reset that night, and I must say im psyched to get this new fresh meta going. Yeah, ebo xwing swarms are boring but to me it’s a whole new world. I didn’t play back then and I look forward to learning the game anew. I have switched to the pro-reset camp (although the whole thing was handled rather awkwardly) because I can see how much more direct and lean the game will be now. No more playing SWCCG with your self while your opponent just sits there. Scoundrel effects with walls of text, stupid NPE spice actions that take forever and is only your own business etc. etc. etc. We don’t want that. That being said, I think the current reset meta is rather boring and the starting options are limited and way to streamlined. I REALLY hope 12 card start and emperor start make it through. Would also like to see some versions of look sir droids v and mirror hit the game at some point. Now preferably : )

The next day was games, games, games and then team tourney in the evening. We got drunk, smoked cigarettes and talked about peoples mothers and everything was a bliss. A close to perfect day, IMHO. Such positive vibe and a lot of laughs until late in the evening. Chris is just the best organizer and host on the planet and that venue is insanely good for this kind of event. At night, the vampire girls of the obscure roleplaying community of Bochum come out and silently slip into the bar and some of them actually look quite good, so we even had the chance to enjoy some eye candy between games on Friday. The only minor minusses that I can even think of is that Bochum lies far, far away when you go by car and maybe that we cant mention the war, but hey. You cant get it all.

Sometime around 8 the team tourney started and Me and my PT-buddy jon signed up. As usual we were Team Out of Commission. I took the chance to test my WYSv and was really feeling confident. BUT my first two matchups was against BH trophy decks. I couldn’t believe it. that’s just about the worst you can play against with this. I lost to Jimmys AOBS version but beat caspers version with a small margin because it puts out two BGs where I could go to drain after he blew me of Corellia and stacked a gazzilion scrubs on trophy. I won the last game and in the end we came in third because Jon went 3-0 with my baroni style HDv. Well played, bro. Afterwards I simply couldn’t get myself to play WYS v for the main event. Not only because of the bad record of the night but also because for some reason WYSv seems to have lost some of its potency. At least in my hands. It used to feel powerful and versatile and it still does to some extend, but it also seems fragile in a new way, imho. So i opted to go with my TIGIH. I took out on the edge (yes I did!) to add a second copy of blaster deflection and was ready to go.

Game 1: my droids vs Max´s LSC combat.
There wasn’t really anything Max could do as I was just able to pour droids to naboo from turn two. The go to used text on his site was of no real relevance as I had both copies of oh, switch of in my starting hand. Later it didn’t matter as much as he had trouble getting his sticks back from lost.
FW

Game 2:TIGIH vs Cedrics slavers
This was an amazing blow out for Cedric with whom ive had some good games with over the last couple of years. Hes a really good player but in this game all went my way. Sometimes tigih 12 card is like that and this time it went like this: Cedric cant find the site on which to deploy the barge, so he puts the space cruiser with velken there to ping me for two. I have the sickest hand holding al my twixes or pullers in hand aswell as home one, ackbar, lando, two jedis and 2x smoke screen. I put out the activation and move luke over. Cedric is now looking at a semi strong setup at kashyyk and at my huge hand plus the fact that I will get around 18 force next turn. He goes for a decent play and gets jabba, jabbas bounty and a ORS I think to space for forfeit and immunity says go and crosses his fingers. Down comes H1, lando, ackbar to clear. He then gets jabba back on ground and tries to hide him at the non bg but in the meantime ive gotten il-19 so jedis plus smokescreen go to clear and Cedric scoops right there after only a few turns and we both cant believe what just happened.
FW

Game 3: TIGIH vs Emils troopers.

Playing against Emil is always rough. He is a much better player than me and his skill and natural, effortless playstyle has been an inspiration to me since he joined our playgroup in Copenhagen. Yeah, I know that’s big words but whatever. I open hand jedis, QDv, tantive, gen solo, good activation, a leadership and some other stuff. He gets down just piett to the devastator and on my turn I make the decision to go to tattoine with tantive, gen solo and leadership to try and knock out the devastator with two destinies. My thought was that even though this can be a favorable matchup for TIGIH its not likely that I will win an open, tight game vs emil. But if I can draw more than six on two destinies here I can take out piett and the deflector dome witch pulls troopers, gives ITA etc. If he holds a command then its just bad luck but his hand wont get worse than it is here in turn 2, so I go for it. He has command but I draw five and he removes piett. Here comes the crazy part. For some reason I leave the tantive there and get flowed by 16 next turn. I don’t know what happened in my head, but fact is that I let tantive stay. I cant explain it and neither Emil nor me really noticed that something was totally wrong before Par said dryly after the game; “Why didn’t Toby just remove tantive and han instead of just han?” I was very embarrassed and it ended up being one of two unexplainable brain farts that day that show that even though I am getting better I still have concentration issues with this great and intense game when under pressure. At the end of the day I am simply not anywhere near that top level of play that some of the others display from time to time. Thing is, it could have been a great play! I sacrifice a dude I have two of and a ship that is basically tech vs another deck while I set up my activation and get saber pullers out holding to jedi in hand ready to take over tattoine sites next turn. Low risk high potential gain. Who knows maybe I could have had a chance as emil later told me he had no troopers in hand. Probably not, but still. Instead I * up like a scrub and get the pain with pings and drains ending up in the 10+ range.
FL

Game 4: vs DDMs Hopping mad communing
David is a living legend who always brings original stuff to the table. His deck starts artoo combo on h1 war room and sets up the home one with them aboard to cancel my destiny draws with a jabbas palace interrupt. Very nasty and my space dies slowly with lots of forfeit from rifles and a ghhk in hand. Meanwhile I set up ground drain for 2 and when slave one is dead he cant get enough damage through to kill me as hes draining for one and I drain for two. He cant knock me of the site and I just recycle stuff to keep in front. I think David missed some pulls and in the end he simply put way more cards on table to do less damage. Bad matchup for him, I guess.
FW

Game 5: TIGIH vs Marvins CCT
I send jedis and corran to kill iggy early but he stunning leaders. We move around and go to space and have very similar capabilities on the same locations. No body really feels like fighting and I squeeze out the win.

Game 6: Droids vs. Caspers beat down scoundrels deck
I have played against this super strong deck two times with my droids and lost both games in testing. This time I have two ghhks and try to play it out as economical as I can. Flipping is impossible as casper can subtract one from my destiny draw to align and I cant really go any where with out getting beat down. I end up surviving some attempts and manage to drain a bit here and there. Space goes back and forth but eventually I loose my foothold in that theater. I don’t remember the details but it was very close and I ended up winning by the smallest possible margin.
FW

Game 7: TIGIH vs caspers TTO
I am truly amazed by how cool caspers tto deck is. He abuses black sun fleet and plays so many cool cards in that pile and its just so different. This game was by far the most interesting I had all day. Casper is way better than me, but I have some experience with TTO and know what it does. Also, my current TIGIH feels very good and has a good chance vs most decks, so I actually feel somewhat confident going into this match. Casper tries to set up slave 1 fast and I know I have to hinder this, so I sense and loose 2 turn one when he plays short range combo. I retrieve sense with luke and get it back into hand right in time to sense and loose two to cancel sonic v as he goes for boba. This sets him back, I get jedis out and get a head in the race. I am certain of the win as brainfart two hits: casper HAS to do something so he comes down with vader to fetch luke. I thought he went to the lone general solo draining with il 19 in the bunker, so I barrier and look forward to the big beat down with princess leia v, quiggy and lando in my hand. I take it back when I see he went for the lone luke instead and there wont be a battle. Thing is though, that I didn’t realize that Luke and vader are at the landing platform and that he can now hide father and son on the ds 2 db. It was insane. What a horrible mistake. It cost me the game as drain 2/retrieve one became nothing and casper won a very tight game by a few force.
FL

Game 8 vs Tonys RSTv ewoks
Tonys deck is crazy and I wont loose to fuzzy bears. Luckily I have played a lot of mains RSTv and I simply cant imagine that the deck can beat the droid deck. The plan is to flip early, get out insignificant rebellion and just spam the bunker with droids to win battles and cause direct dam and stacking. That’s how it goes and I win but not before getting my guys shot to lost pile by stupid catapults, getting them excluded by leias little annoying friend and taking 8 dam from an exploding bunker! That deck was seriously strong, and with a less broken deck that sep up droids I think it would have been very hard indeed. Well played, tony.
FW

I end up being the only 6-2 and qualify third for day three coming in after Emil and casper.

We drink a little after the games and I am really tired as I get back to the hotel. It has been a fantastic day and I am stoked to be through to day 3 for the second day year in a row. Im playing my friend Jesper the next day and after REALLY considering switching to BHBM I end up deciding to play droids again. Tipsy and paranoid I convince my self that jesper will bring his roomies HB mon cals deck so I take out ghhk and something else to add a potf and s&d(!!!=????) What a crazy decision! My tigih feels perfect so eventhough it lost two games I change nothing.

Game 9: TIGIH vs Jespers ASM
Off course jesper changed nothing at all from his day 2 decks and I face ASM with my TIGIH in the first game. I consider this an close to autowin for TIGIH. After all the deck was originally developed by Emil to kill ASM. I take sidious to the jedi chamber with mace and when he comes for me I have all the right cards. I clear LS easily a couple of times and get way ahead in the race. But at some point jesper comes back from nothing and manages to flow obi by 9 after a series horrible battle destiny and weapon draws on my behalf over two battles. He then establishes a drain of 5 in the jedi room with maul YA. Some battles happen and it gets close. In the end I can spread out and play ultimatum and win it by seven. We both played very well and this was a super good game. Nice comeback, Jesper!
FW

Game 10: Droids vs. Jespers TIGIH
This game was just raw droid power. Early flip and constant high power battling until there were no more jedi left that could breathe. One of the most brutal displays of the droid deck at this event, id say. Jesper held his own and did what he could but the flow of metal towards his sites would never stop.
FW

Game 11: TIGIH vs Caspers TTO
This was a rematch from Yesterdays game that I threw away with the barrier take back-scrub play. This time I did it right and I won another super tight and solid game of SWCCG with my friend Casper who as always played very well. We didn’t make many errors, and casper did his best to get UC spies down, trying to clear jedis with vader, blizzard 4 etc. he also did pretty decent damage but in the end I drained him out with 10 force left.
FW

Game 12: Droids vs Caspers scoundrel beatdown deck
Yeah, this was not good. Having teched so horribly wrong that nobody in the world could believe it, I now found my self up against the craziest beatdown deck on the planet with one less ghhk combo in my deck. But I was up by ten and I won yesterdays match by one so maybe if I played really sly I could manage to squeeze out a win. A final at a major tourney against emil would be a great achievement for me and I really wanted it. I decided to just stack droids on his 2/2 so he couldn’t flip. I didn’t want to damage him early so he could get obi OOP and just wanted to make him make the hard decissions while i found ghhk and oth important cards. My strategy worked well and things where looking ok. He sets up space but cant flip and only drains for 1. Next turn he puts lando and a scrub to my 2/2 and I decide to clear the site to reestablish status quo. I put two droids there with less power than him so he cant double and give them plenty rifles to shoot the two guys, cycle some guns and get the droids back on the racks where they belong. Forfeit should be enough even with a skull or one of the other silly tricks. Good plan, right? Nah, not really. Listen to this: this insane deck builder put in the premiere defensive trippler for day 3 and flows me by 48! I forfeit all the dudes plus rifles but sill lose the game as I don’t hold the ghhk yet. Well played, mr Jørgensen : ) One card that I didn’t saw the day before did it. Beautiful SWCCG teching if you ask me.
FL

This was the end for me, but i was really proud and happy to end up third in that field. So many original and really strong decks and great players. Angelo and Krypto would have made for an even stronger field. lets hope life lets them be there next year. You guys were missed.

Sorry for the long post. Too tired now and cant be bothered with spelling etc. So bear with me on typos and strange words being auto corrected in where they don't belong. My mac tends to do that sometimes.

Thanks to everybody for a great, great weekend of star wars cars and endless fun with wonderful people. Special props go out to my Viking brethren on both sides of Oresund, the great and totally crazy Alex Tennet (details on his and emils late night drinking spree on Sunday will not come from me) and off course to Chris and Maike for being the good people they are and supplying a strong backbone to all the craziness without ever being in anyway dull. You guys put a lot of effort into this and it means a lot to me and the rest of the european scene.

So Thanks for that.

See you all next year.

Crossing my fingers for a fresh and hopefully fun and challenging reset meta that will keep this fantastic game going for many years to come.

Best,
Tobias

Results:
European Championships 2014 - 3rd place
European Championships 2013 - 8th place
Toola Regionals 2013 - runner up
European Championships 2011 - 5th place

DutchVader

Re: TB´s TR from €C14

Post by DutchVader »

Thanks, great TR to read during breakfast! :-D

Stefan / DutchVader

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

Excellent TR and detail. Really enjoyed reading about your games! Well played!
TB wrote:We played a lot of reset that night, and I must say im psyched to get this new fresh meta going. Yeah, ebo xwing swarms are boring but to me it’s a whole new world. I didn’t play back then and I look forward to learning the game anew. I have switched to the pro-reset camp (although the whole thing was handled rather awkwardly) because I can see how much more direct and lean the game will be now. No more playing SWCCG with your self while your opponent just sits there. Scoundrel effects with walls of text, stupid NPE spice actions that take forever and is only your own business etc. etc. etc. We don’t want that. That being said, I think the current reset meta is rather boring and the starting options are limited and way to streamlined. I REALLY hope 12 card start and emperor start make it through. Would also like to see some versions of look sir droids v and mirror hit the game at some point. Now preferably : )
This is very encouraging for me to read. I'll reiterate that the base set is really just the starting point. We are ALL eager to see ROPS and AOBS and RST etc to make a comeback, but it will take a virtual set or two to supply the necessary cards. This next year should be an exciting time for swccg.

DDM

Post by DDM »

The LS deck I brought, besides going 1-3, I liked it very much. It is very versatile and hold its own.
I have never been a player TRM style or choke style, and this was my first attempt at that.
In all the games I lost, having packed a single BG would have made all the difference in the world, instead on relying on Tantive IV or IL-9 (who doesn't work vs. Hoth CR (V) alas).
It shows that I didn't know very well what kind of decks could be seen and how to deal with them. :)

But it worked very well, clearing space like no tomorrow, and being still sturdy on ground (couldn't do much vs. recurring droids however :-D).
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Great TR Toby. I guess you just saved me the effort. :) We had some too close for comfort games.
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

A great read mate. We had a weird game, I still don't understand how we missed the Tantive situation.
DDM wrote:It shows that I didn't know very well what kind of decks could be seen and how to deal with them. :)
This is the European scene in a nutshell. In the 14 legacy games I played (day 2/3), I faced 13 different decks. My weird Restore Freedom had X-Wing Laser Cannons, Intruder Missiles and Enhanced Proton Torpedoes, which is probably not a deck you'd see played outside of Europe...
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

dashmudtz

Post by dashmudtz »

Darth_Link wrote:My weird Restore Freedom had X-Wing Laser Cannons, Intruder Missiles and Enhanced Proton Torpedoes, which is probably not a deck you'd see played outside of Europe...
The Philly reset event had an EBO deck that had all 3 of those.
kryptofis wrote:Ghh g:o:o:o:cry::P:cry::o8-):o:o:o:roll::cry::o:o:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::ugeek::ugeek::ugeek::P:P:roll::cry::cry::cry::roll:[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]:roll::roll::x[URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL]:x[URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL]yyy r y

C g y
Hux
G. Giuuuh[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

rax
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by rax »

Great TR toby, and congrats on the nice placement!

Oh, and we truly are terribly sorry for our tendency to create retard decks. We promise we won't do that anymore :epic:

... just like we won't drink anymore :rimshot

PS: Yeah, you can totally mention the war. In the end, Germany looses, much like this tournament 8> ... Angry German replies are accepted in my PM inbox :)

Kristian "rax" Lund aka Smukke Kristian - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen Never Dies! They Just Go To The Bar And Respawn!"

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Thanks, Toby. It was out pleasure.

And thanks for posting the TR. Great read!

That's why I also like to post the command cards. So that players can check who their opponents were, and so that we will see more tournament reports.

(Hint for players of the EC AND my fellow tournament directors!) ;)
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

dashmudtz wrote:
Darth_Link wrote:My weird Restore Freedom had X-Wing Laser Cannons, Intruder Missiles and Enhanced Proton Torpedoes, which is probably not a deck you'd see played outside of Europe...
Yes, they are more prominent in the reset. My comment was more about the Legacy format.
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

dashmudtz

Post by dashmudtz »

Darth_Link wrote:
dashmudtz wrote:
Yes, they are more prominent in the reset. My comment was more about the Legacy format.
Yeah, I think that becomes very true. I think the closest you would have gotten in the U.S. was Matt C's B-wing Restore Freedom.
kryptofis wrote:Ghh g:o:o:o:cry::P:cry::o8-):o:o:o:roll::cry::o:o:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::ugeek::ugeek::ugeek::P:P:roll::cry::cry::cry::roll:[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]:roll::roll::x[URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL]:x[URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL][URL]yyy r y

C g y
Hux
G. Giuuuh[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

stealtheblind
GEMP Username: shaw67193

Post by stealtheblind »

Congrats on the finish! Thanks for representing the Battle Droids in the last legacy event, but I need to set the record straight:

it's Amar's deck, not mine!
Gregory Shaw

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Cool TR! Im catching up on a bit of reading after a long holiday on the forums and TRs like yours, are good to begin with :-D already looking forward to EC 2015! And to more TRs like this!
Gosse Z. - Seattle

Return to “Euro Championships 2014 - Sept. 12-14”