2014 World Championships

Toronto, ON
Canada
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

2014 World Championships

Post by imrahil327 »

Star Wars CCG is heading north of the border! For the first time in the game’s history, Canada will play host to the Star Wars CCG World Championship. The 2014 World Championship will be held in Toronto, Ontario, on the weekend of August 21-24. The schedule will be quite similar to that of past years, and will be announced as the event gets closer. Unlike Worlds in Germany, all normal qualification will apply.

Here are some questions and answers that raith helpfully put together. If you have any others, post them here and we'll do our best to answer them.

Worlds 2012 in Europe, now Worlds 2014 in Canada- Is this a pattern?
No, just coincidence. We do not have any plan to have Worlds internationally every other year.

Toronto?
Toronto is about 100 miles by drive from Buffalo, NY. It is a large city with a population of around 2.7 million people, not including the surrounding suburbs (6 million if you include them). It’s roughly the size of Chicago.

How can I get there and get around?
Like most major cities, you can fly, bus, or drive there. It’s considered an international hub for Canada, so most forms of travel will get you to the city. The main airport is Pearson International Airport (YYZ), with alternate airports being Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ) and John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport (YHM). You can reach the venue from any of these airports via transit, although the closest airport to the venue will be Pearson. It is also technically possible to Fly to Buffalo and then drive or bus your way to the city from there.

Once in the city, there is an intercity transit system (TTC) that can take you across the city for a flat rate (bus and subway) of $3 one way, or if you are visiting anywhere outside of the city, the GO transit system (bus and train) can take you. There are also cabs that run all throughout the city, if you’re willing to pay for them. And of course, you can drive around; there are several major highways that run through and around the city.

Flights are expensive! How can I get there if I’m flying in?
Seat sales will be your friend in booking your flight. In addition to the major US airlines with flights to Toronto, there is also Air Canada, Porter Airlines, and Air Transit which also has flights from US destinations to Toronto.

If your city has flights through Porter (https://www.flyporter.com/), I would recommend it. Although you will have to take transit to get to the venue (It flies out of Billy Bishop), it has the best/most comfortable customs and security interactions.

Do I need a US passport to enter Canada?
Yes, you will need a valid US passport to enter Canada. Driver’s licenses are no longer valid forms of ID when passing through the border.

How do I apply for a US passport?
You can apply via the below website:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ ... 1_842.html

You can either spend $135 on a passport book, which is good for travelling internationally, or you can spend $55 for a passport card which is only valid for Canada, Mexico and other assorted locations. If you’re planning on any other sort of travel, a passport book is recommended. Otherwise the passport card is good enough.

When should I get my passport?
The usual times for passport processing are about 4-6 weeks. You should apply for your passport roughly 2 months in advance to ensure you will get your passport in time.

I have questions not in this FAQ!
That’s not a question. But if you need anything else answered, you can pm raith and he will respond as best as he can.

Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

raith
Retired Advocate

Re: 2014 World Championships

Post by raith »

Hotel Info:
Travelodge Hotel Toronto Airport
925 Dixon Rd
Etobicoke, Ontario
M9W-1J8

The Travelodge Hotel Toronto Airport is located in the heart of the airport "strip", located 5 minutes away from Pearson International Airport. Although in the US the Travelodge brand is associated with economy value (to be generous), to compete with the other hotels on the "strip" (including Sheridan, Hilton, etc) the same standard of quality is required. As such the hotel is a true, full-service facility that mixes luxurious accommodations and superb service at an excellent price.

Complimentary Wi-Fi internet is included in both the guest rooms and meeting rooms. The hotel features an indoor pool sauna, and a beautiful large fitness facility. We offer Complimentary 24-hour shuttle transportation to the airport. Casey’s Restaurant & bar is open from 6:30 am – 1:00 am, for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner service.

Room Rate: ~$100CAN/night (Depending on which type of room you want)

Included in this room rate is the following:
Internet
Breakfast
Parking
Access to business center (for printing v-slips)

For booking hotel rooms (either online or by phone) use the following group code: SWCCG1
All reservations made under this code are then entered into the SWCCG room block.

http://travelodgedixon.ca/TravelodgeTor ... ngtool.htm

The toll free number to the hotel directly is 1-888-483-6887. This number is good in Canada and the USA.

Return to “World Championships 2014 - Aug 21-24”