Reset event TR

Toronto, ON
Canada
darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Reset event TR

Post by darkjediknight11 »

Don't really feel like going in depth on the main event, but I'll expand a bit on how the reset event went

Deck Choices:
I was focusing on preparing for the main event, so I didn't feel like preparing for this event really. Jarad gave me a TRM list that he'd been having success with so far, and Cam had an ATMD Watto list that looked solid and pretty fun...and I'd never played watto before so it seemed like a good choice. So I threw them together Saturday night and figured I'd give it a go.

Game 1: TRM vs d'Amboise's Court
I started insight for honor to keep damage at bay for a couple turns...3po in my opening hand and got out a bit of activation early. He gets jabba and ephant mon to AC, which I clear with an EPP strike after satm'ing ephant. I projection the AC too in case he had anyone standing, and he threw down jabba, bib, boelo, and someone else. We go back and forth battling a couple times, with damage each turn from both first strike and draw their fire, but coward/simple tricks preventing retrieval. Eventually it's mostly just him deploying a couple guys on his turn and me battling him on mine to clear the site and deal two damage. Several epps and AJRs later, I squeak out a win on time

Game 2: Watto vs Sean Millers WYS Racing
He puts out dash on the outrider early, I respond with both baron and DS-61-2 on theirs ships and kick him off kessel. I back up watto with B4 and Arica, and emp chills by himself...I think he topdecked several guys early to keep dash alive, so he's struggling to find characters. He sends luke and someone to the junkyard and slices watto, then ooc's watto since he's the only card in lost. He wins the race (I had to scramble to find cold feet for racing shield since I busted myself), but is eating large drains so it's too little too late though, as I quickly cover every tatooine site while chasing him around systems for a fairly easy win.

Game 3: Watto vs Jake Nelson's LSC racing
I realize immediately that ATMD is terrible for this matchup, but my prayers are answered with an opening hand ghhhk. For some reason he decides he'd rather put quigon to naboo though, so I'm ok. First turn I look for watto and realize all 3 are in my force pile. I back up emperor with dengar and dr e, draw a few without finding watto, and pass the turn. I think next turn I got resistance set up and start draining in space, and am able to do a strike or two with epp maul, but mostly it's just eating a lot of drains. Somehow I manage to shield bust myself AGAIN so the race is a 16 force swing and the game is over soon.

Game 4: TRM vs Jake Nelson's SYCFA Brangus
I get 3po and some ships in my opening hand, so I get rolling for a turn then put tantive + hcf to the Death Star to start draining for 4. He draws mostly, trying to find a solution for tantive probably. I back it up with WiRS1 and he again draws and leaves like 25 saved. I throw epp quigon on tantive too in case he's got overwhelmed shenanigans (got burned by that on Saturday). He battles with epp maul on zimh, but I lose 2 to sense maul strikes and he has to scoop.

Game 5: Watto vs Casey's WYS panic racing
I gave Casey half his cards, do I have a good idea of what is coming. I quickly get set up and have guys at most sites, pulling some ATATs with the AO and get occupation going. He has his own guys sitting in front of mine, but I'm still doing 4+ damage a turn from ping drains and occupation while he's doing a drain of 1 or 2 at most, so i don't really feel like testing what he could get with panic. I get the racing shield out still, so that doesn't hurt badly. He gets out order to engage so I finally go to battle him at tatooine with conquest and a ship vs his one ship. First panic gets 3 panics, second panic gets a couple weenies, and I cancel his third panic with conquest, and he scoops.

Game 6: TRM for Tom's HD
We're both the only 4-1s, so the winner will win the tournament. I find two twixes early, I think he does too. We stare at each other for a turn or two to wait for the other to deploy a bg site, so he drops the emperor at the back door, though I'm not really sure why just him. Epp luke and quigon make him peel 6-7, and he scoops cause it's not worth the grind when I'll have the foothold that he'd have to get lucky to pull out a win from

Throdo

Re: Reset event TR

Post by Throdo »

Great write up and congrats on the win!

Any ideas on why people are playing racing with their wys as opposed to the pre-reset wok/sqass/farm puller start? I'm really surprised by that.

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

I'd guess people were using it as a Shield-bust strategy since WYS already makes you want to pull 2-3 shields (grabber, gesture, battle order).

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

I mean, all you really *need* from those effects to function is squassins

Your activation suffers a a little

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Throdo wrote:Great write up and congrats on the win!

Any ideas on why people are playing racing with their wys as opposed to the pre-reset wok/sqass/farm puller start? I'm really surprised by that.
I played the traditional wok/squass/farm start, and I still like it a lot. I don't think racing is worth it in WYS, but that's just me. I don't think it's bad by any means, just not the way I like to play it I guess.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Nice tr! Love how the Panic got three Panics :shock:
Gosse Z. - Seattle (formerly Netherlands)

Return to “World Championships 2014 - Aug 21-24”