Communing -- what do you want to see it do?

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Communing -- what do you want to see it do?

Post by quickdraw3457 »

We've all thought about what other communing jedi could do, what are your thoughts on how this should come back? I think the basic concept is great (stacking jedi) but master kenobi was definitely too powerful, and the activation bonus is probably too good early game.

I feel like communing should be playable in non-"piles" so you could use it with objectives. It would have to be at an appropriate power level though.

QuiGon -- focus on Obi being on tatooine with farmboy luke? Perhaps something to make obi a stronger jedi for stacking cards, and allow protection for luke of ability < 5?

Obi -- Death star platform. LS has never had a way to play sites from probably the coolest sequence in the original film (sneaking around the death star). Could maybe work its way into a virtual RTP?

Yoda -- alternate platform for jedi testing - luke would be the mentor on yavin or somewhere else, but the hope would be it is more interactive (using battlegrounds instead of dagobah) so people wouldn't hate playing against it so much. Perhaps this could be the virtual MWYHL instead of a more efficient dagobah platform?

Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

abanger0
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: abanger
GEMP Username: abanger

Re: Communing -- what do you want to see it do?

Post by abanger0 »

I think the deck addresses a legitimate problem. Lots of scrub decks are unplayable w/o a helper. Whether a balanced version of Communing is the answer, I don't know.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

i think it should be a luke-centric deck (like how hd is vader-centric). place other jedi out of play to get sweet bonuses for luke. etc
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

I Think it should be as it was, just get tid of the desteny stacking and don't remake all the silly helpers. Use the force and run luke v come n to mind. Bowcasterevery turn won't be a problem either now so I'd say the epic event and master obi could be reintroduced along the lines we saw with the last version. Drawing if not able to, activation bump and recursion of rebel scrubs was great, IMHO. At some point yoda and quiggy could be released for different variations on the communing theme. I liked the basics of it but hated what it turned into and never understood why all those insane helpers came out.
Results:
European Championships 2014 - 3rd place
European Championships 2013 - 8th place
Toola Regionals 2013 - runner up
European Championships 2011 - 5th place

eutychusrocks

Post by eutychusrocks »

I like the idea of the obi-wan doing stuff around the death star.

Maybe we could have a Luke buffing one that is Anakin communing.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

quickdraw3457 wrote: I feel like communing should be playable in non-"piles" so you could use it with objectives. It would have to be at an appropriate power level though.
I gotta argue against this just b/c its too much reading. We've all seen with 9.1 that no one wants to have both sides of another player's objective, and then read another whole card with 2 sides' worth of text on it.
Missions/Epic Events, whatever should try to be limited to play instead of Objectives just to reduce text.[/quote]

QuiGon -- focus on Obi being on tatooine with farmboy luke? Perhaps something to make obi a stronger jedi for stacking cards, and allow protection for luke of ability < 5?
I'd like Qui Gone to have some sort of pre-quel theme. Unfortunately it was so poorly written in you don't have a lot of theme to work with. Anything EP1 related I guess w/ EP1 jedi.

Obi -- Death star platform. LS has never had a way to play sites from probably the coolest sequence in the original film (sneaking around the death star). Could maybe work its way into a virtual RTP?
If you found a way to make all the DS sites playable BG's that would be an awesome theater to base a deck out of. I love challenging design to take cards that were destined to be unplayable forever and find a way to make them work. LS DS sites would be it.
PS- I would say no to this for RTP due to the text issue discussed. However I would love to see a virtual RTP use the DS Control Room that was the most worthless LS site ever made in the history of the game. (DS's would be the Dagobah system.)

Yoda -- alternate platform for jedi testing - luke would be the mentor on yavin or somewhere else, but the hope would be it is more interactive (using battlegrounds instead of dagobah) so people wouldn't hate playing against it so much. Perhaps this could be the virtual MWYHL instead of a more efficient dagobah platform?
Yes. I think all you have to do is say "dagobah on your jedi tests is treated as Yavin 4." I think they have a jungle and forest. Last time I looked there was only 1 site missing to get all the tests to work.
I also think the deck should be forced to start the 2/2 training academy (bring it back.)
Jedi testing is lame. But I think Jedi testing at battlegrounds, where your opponent could come and fight you at any time, would be ok. It would prob be a tier 2 forever, but I'm sure people would have fun with it.

So that just leaves the last question:

What would anakin do?

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

stevetotheizz0 wrote: So that just leaves the last question:

What would anakin do?
Cool stuff with skywalkers!
- Let his Endor/DS II kids deploy for printed power (6 for Jedi Luke, 4 for DoS)
- do something neat if Anakin's saber is deployed (or fired? Maybe it's immune to Force Field?)
- if you draw one of them for destiny, take it into hand (like the Rise of the Dark Lord text?)
- add 1 to their battle destiny draws (like he is watching over them and using his Premiere Darth Vader game text for them?)

Do something cool with Honor of The Jedi (since that's basically the epitome of LS Anakin coming back...)
- Suspend No Escape while a Skywalker at a battleground site
- make it always immune to Alter
- place it out of play to do something or maybe place a Skywalker on it to do something, then send them to used at end of turn or something weird like that

Work on endor (since that's where he appeared as a ghost and where all the stuff got put into motion with his return to the Light side).

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

He should just make vader immediately lost if on table

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

mikefrench wrote:i think it should be a luke-centric deck (like how hd is vader-centric). place other jedi out of play to get sweet bonuses for luke. etc
that was the original concept i designed....
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

Shadow 13 wrote:
mikefrench wrote:i think it should be a luke-centric deck (like how hd is vader-centric). place other jedi out of play to get sweet bonuses for luke. etc
that was the original concept i designed....
Didn't Luke SITF make it difficult to make it work? Having it work with Luke (or any ability > 4 character) would eliminate the Chewie problem.

Shadow 13

Post by Shadow 13 »

yeah D&D at the time didn't want a mains deck. i'm still a little bitter about how it all turned out
ryan french

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

For the love of goodness, when they do re-do it can they use the right version of Obi-Wan now?
It should be:
Obi-wan --> Obi-Wan's Apparition

Yoda --> Twilight Is Upon Me

Anakin --> Anakin Skywalker

Qui-Gon --> Control (or Inner Strength)

revdionysus
DS Region: Naboo
DS Region: Naboo

Post by revdionysus »

I would not like to see this unwieldy and abusive deck return in the reset, let ghosts remain ghosts!

Hari Seldon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Hari Seldon »

revdionysus wrote:I would not like to see this unwieldy and abusive deck return in the reset, let ghosts remain ghosts!
x2
allstarz97 wrote:...and thematically, as everyone is referencing on this thread, why are people not mentioning the part where mace windu is crying like a little *, gets his hand cut off and then gets thrown out a window?

agnos

Post by agnos »

Fwiw, the Quigon and Yoda themes in Pting were pretty neat. They could likely be salvaged in one form or another. The rebel scrub bumps... Not so much IMO unless it was relegated to only recurring ability 3-5 Luke's/Leia's. And the it wouldn't likely be good enough.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Hari Seldon wrote:
revdionysus wrote:I would not like to see this unwieldy and abusive deck return in the reset, let ghosts remain ghosts!
x2
That's the point of the on deck list/discussion -- to get this platform to a point that is not unwieldy and abusive. I don't think it would be that difficult to be honest.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

Let's not have epic events replace starting Interrupts a la Sonn v & communing. Make communing characters into effects.

Like if your starting location is Obi-Wan's Hut, deploy on table, Obi is considered OOP immune to Alter do such and such. If your starting location is Yoda's hut, deploy on table, immune to alter, Yoda is considered OOP, bonuses are blah blah. Etc.

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

So you're saying that Qui-Gon needs a Hut?
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

Or just turn Communing into an effect that only deploys on table at the beginning of the game with the same Jedi stacking mechanics but doesn't include any of the bonuses off the epic event. Just have any bonuses be on the Jedi themselves or other cards.
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer

Shadow 13

Post by Shadow 13 »

master kenobi was never the intended use of the Communing mechanic. the original didn't even start with a jedi stacked on it, you had to go out and let your jedi die, then each one that died would give you a bonus as listed in their text. i think that with more time to design and develop it, the mechanic could be much better than what was released in 7.3
ryan french

Return to “On Deck Discussion”