Communing -- what do you want to see it do?

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Re: Communing -- what do you want to see it do?

Post by chriskelly »

Would love to see a theme to have a communing Jedi boost Luke (and/or Leia), either Ben or Anakin.
Wouldn't be the worst idea to have the effect deploy directly to the "hut" (to limit the starting effect options that can be played with it?), but could all of the necessary text fit on a single effect that needed "Deploys to Xxxx (Yyyyyy is out of play." and "(A)" on it? (Yes I get that for the most part we want stuff to fit on one card but communing I feel would be a theme worthy of an Epic Event-length template).
Maybe let the respective "hut" text download the generic communing epic event so long as the specific ghost jedi effect is deployed there?

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

i think Communing itself should always be an Epic Event just due to the feel it had during the movies. also, the "stacked jedi are really out of play" stuff and how to avoid abusing it is kind of difficult to shrink down.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Yeah I don't necessarily see anything wrong with the "starting epic event". I think when done right it could be a cool thing to have in the game. We need to add a little bit of extra flavor every once in a while. Decipher always added new card types, starting interrupts, etc as the game went on. We shouldn't stop doing that.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

Yikes. Decipher was flying by the seat of their pants in an era where CCGs were a new thing. We should not look back on what they did as the gold standard for how to design / run a game for sustainable success.

Missions, the loaded keyword 'heroic', the epic event as other cards because they have more text space, set up Icon cards were all things the RTF aimed to eliminate.

The communing concept to OOP a main character (jedi) to gain benefits from their apparition is sweet. Creating a new card type just to do that is not.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

at some point, we have to use reason with design guidelines. an effect has strict text limits, but when you use the majority of the text to set up your thematic decktype, with its unique rules and restrictions, in spirit that's not violating the rule, right? if it's three sentences that are all bonus bonus bonus, then that's exactly what the guideline is set up to prevent, we all get that, but flavor should trump guidelines sometimes, with strict scrutiny employed, obviously.

when i first read hayes' post, i thought he was saying we should never use the epic event cardtype again. thankfully i re-read it, because i almost went off on a rant about that. =)
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

v2i0n
Starter
Starter

Post by v2i0n »

Luminous Beings

Whenever a Jedi is lost (or placed out of play from table), must stack it here:
Once per turn, may choose one Jedi placed out of play here to 'Commune' and activate bonus for remainder of turn:

Mace: During battle your character weapon destinies are +2
Yoda: Lose 2 force to move all of your characters or starships away from a battle (you lose no force to Firepower)
Obi-Wan: You may use 2 force to cancel a just drawn weapon destiny
Qui-Gon: During battle choose one character, starship, or vehicle present; target loses all immunity to attrition

Just a stab at making communing have specific bonuses for placing Jedi OOP. This allows communing to still be a good platform for a variety of different builds and promotes good decision making in game. The cost is losing strong ground jedi characters. This way the bonus is built into Communing itself and we don't get a whole bunch of OP text on the Jedi's themselves.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

that's an interesting idea. i dunno about only using one once per turn, but it's a cool concept.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

eutychusrocks

Post by eutychusrocks »

I posted some of my thoughts in the dream cards forum here: /viewt ... 91&t=55998

I know some of the cards may have too much text, but it shows the basic ideas about communing that I had. Characters that are actually characters, but have a small effect if they are stacked on communing.

Pantherpike
GEMP Username: Gladniator

Post by Pantherpike »

For me, I don't want to see the character recursion again (from Master Kenobi). Instead of that, perhaps something that protects forfeit values for scrubs (ability < 3) or something like that...
This is where my signature is supposed to be, but I can't get it to do cursive!

eutychusrocks

Post by eutychusrocks »

That's why in my design I made the cost a little heavier. Even if recursion exists, it shouldn't be an automatic choice.

Shadow 13

Post by Shadow 13 »

the original communing design wasn't intended to be a deck platform system. it was a side strategy, one effect that pulled the epic event (like tatooine's Hunt the Queen theme). Master Kenobi could go out of play from your hand to cancel and redraw a destiny draw, then when stacked on communing he pulled I Can't Believe He's Gone and a Luke. Qui-Gon was focused on making Obi-Wan good, so there was a decision point in deckbuilding, whether you wanted to focus on quigon pumping obi or on obi pumping luke. and Yoda let you move around the top cards of your piles. it felt more like you were communicating them from beyond the dead than the actual released version.
ryan french

Shadow 13

Post by Shadow 13 »

/updated by dream card thread with early versions of Communing as i originally designed it.
ryan french

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Personally I'm against any of the starting epic events and de-facto starting missions. It's just another type of power creep.

If you're going to devote that much to a deck strategy it should just be an objective that allows your opponent to interact with/negate/flip back your bonuses somehow.

I like the idea of communing just that it was done way wrong originally.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

What if.... communing were made into an objective?
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Shadow 13

Post by Shadow 13 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:What if.... communing were made into an objective?
not everything should/needs to be an objective.
ryan french

eutychusrocks

Post by eutychusrocks »

Shadow 13 wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:What if.... communing were made into an objective?
not everything should/needs to be an objective.
x2

Return to “On Deck Discussion”