Jawas (mostly light side)

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Jawas (mostly light side)

Post by Corran »

So I know we're trying to stay away from the "play 100 helpers" strategies, but I frankly want to play with Jawas. I haven't really looked seriously into non-v options, but I know that I'm losing all of the helpers for my light side jawas deck. Assuming AITC gets a virtual that makes some of the generic non-unique alien issues go away(mostly battle destiny drawing), what would it take to make Jawas borderline-fringe playable? I'm thinking:

-Virtual versions of unique jawas that are playable on their own, but get a boost from Kailit/Aved Luun(maybe bringing their virtual versions back)

-Virtual version of Premiere Jawas that are strongish

-A few Jawa-specific helper effects/interupts(I especially like Utinni)

Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

hyvee_doughboy

Re: Jawas (mostly light side)

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

I like Jawas too. Recently, I used the "Laugh" cards, and those seemed to make them almost playable, but still pretty bad.

For me, they seem to have a couple big problems:
1) Low forfeit. They take huge beatdowns and you lose all your guys and then some
2) Low Power - you get overflowed really easy.

I think the best thing for them would be to find a way to increase their forfeit.

Before the virtual helpers, trying to set up Kalit + multiple Jawa Siestas almost worked, but it was a lot of card slots and a smart opponent would just chop up Kalit over and over to negate them.

I think if they made a virtual Jawa into something like Stormtrooper Cadet, it could almost get playable.

There's just so many problems with that deck though. On top of all of that, there's still the problem of using opponent's force, which I know makes a lot of people angry. Whatever helpers they would get would likely want to shut that aspect off. I have a feeling we will be waiting a while on them :-)
Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

eutychusrocks

Post by eutychusrocks »

You could put sandcrawler v in the voting threads. That would at least be a start improving their forfeit.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

I'm not sure if Sandcrawler v is the Jawa helper I'd want back. The virtual Jawa Camp and Crash Site Memorial come to mind as potential cards. Also, Yarna really helps for getting sites out, but that's 3 helpers and the text just keeps coming.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.

abanger0
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: abanger
GEMP Username: abanger

Post by abanger0 »

I'd like to see a thematic Jawa objective, so we can avoid the "play 100 helpers". Maybe where the flip condition is selling cards to the opponent.

saturnflight
Starter
Starter

Post by saturnflight »

Can we please take this opportunity to take jawas in another direction? I never felt that it was right that I was winning with power. They should be all about theft, opportunism, and sales. Perhaps they can make the Droid theme usable as well. Maybe they have a lot of battle avoidance built in? Or a way to come out of battle with only attrition denting them. But please, no more combos for power 7 jawas with mulyiple destiny draws.
Good trades with: Avatari

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Stealing and selling has almost always proven to be absolutely broken in some manner in this game.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

saturnflight wrote:Can we please take this opportunity to take jawas in another direction? I never felt that it was right that I was winning with power. They should be all about theft, opportunism, and sales. Perhaps they can make the Droid theme usable as well. Maybe they have a lot of battle avoidance built in? Or a way to come out of battle with only attrition denting them. But please, no more combos for power 7 jawas with mulyiple destiny draws.

The problem is that the game is about battling and any deck that wins through other means ends up being unplayable or NPE.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of making playable individual Jawas as part of a light side alien strategy. An epp het nkik would be cool for example.

saturnflight
Starter
Starter

Post by saturnflight »

Honestly, should Jawas alone be a winning strategy? I'd rather they not be forced to play a role they shouldn't, and the deck be required to go outside of Jawas Only if it wants to compete. (Counterpoint- that is already the case, isn't it?) ((Counter-counterpoint- yes, but can't we at least make them FUN?))
Good trades with: Avatari

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

One problem I think Jawas has is that LS aliens space is pretty bleh. Before the reset, you could make an okay Jawa deck for LS (if your opponent had to come to you). If they didn't, you could usually outrace them (battle order, secret plans, etc.) and by not playing stupid.
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

saturnflight wrote:Can we please take this opportunity to take jawas in another direction? I never felt that it was right that I was winning with power. They should be all about theft, opportunism, and sales. Perhaps they can make the Droid theme usable as well. Maybe they have a lot of battle avoidance built in? Or a way to come out of battle with only attrition denting them. But please, no more combos for power 7 jawas with multiple destiny draws.
I am fully supportive of this idea (and if we ever get premium memberships back I'll post some cards in the dream card forums related to it). I do understand the NPE of jawas, theft, etc, which in combination with them having a weak forfeit is why they never really get out of the sandbox so to speak. Ewoks (although not often played when scouts are so strong) get around this with many +1 modifiers and ewok tribesman. Perhaps something along those lines?

Can someone clarify the "100 Helpers" thing? I feel that most people don't want any new cards that don't turn any card into a key strategy main, and or powerhouse mechanic guy, which seems just as problematic as 100 helpers. True, we don't to have to use 10 cards extra cards to make a theme playable, but for every deck to need the same 20 mains, weapons, ships and interrupts won't make this game fun long term. I know not everyone is with me on this (in fact most probably aren't) but I would love to see "Fun fred" players get plenty of share going forward to. Granted, avoiding completely broken combos is difficult, but with slower release schedules, hopefully the play testers and developers have more time to kick these ideas around.

I will say I wouldn't want to see a sandcrawler (v) again. It wasn't all that much of a boost, and not really the way to help things. I actually think a LS sandcrawler weapon would be a good way to start, similar to that the DS has in Antipersonnel Laser Cannon. It doesn't help the forfeit, but gives them a fighting chance, being aware of the abuse the non-unique transport drivers will play into any proposed jawa deck. Jawas are weak (and really they should be) against weapons so they have to "hide" to protect themselves.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

Return to “On Deck Discussion”