Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Luke, SITF & Galen

Post by Hunter »

GunganStyle wrote:
RybackStun wrote:
jcb213 wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:I totally disagree these are needed to reduce RPS. The mechanic itself is ok, but not on a main character who has other great text and/or supporting cards. Putting the destiny to attrition on a guy like ponda baba or other scrubs is great, but I don't think it belongs on a main. It is basically an extra BD that gets around anti-BD cards (but is susceptible to Dark Approach and Why Didn't You Tell Me).
x2
x3
x4
x5

Blarg
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Blarg »

Because, as I said, there is a limit to the number of support characters. Making guys who compete with Corran, Leia, RP, and Lando would cause a lot of power creep really fast.

I've played with and against AT-ATs in a lot more decks that IO/IC. I've probably played way more ROPS and Hoth:CRv/Spice AT-ATs than I ever played IO/IC. In all of those, Luke, SitF was a very fun card that promoted interaction.

Mechanical Failure is an ok card, but not great. It usually doesn't get very much done and its usually not worth playing. Also, my whole point was about RPS, and Mechanical Failure is a very narrow card.

punkbear
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by punkbear »

Hunter wrote:
GunganStyle wrote:
RybackStun wrote:
jcb213 wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:I totally disagree these are needed to reduce RPS. The mechanic itself is ok, but not on a main character who has other great text and/or supporting cards. Putting the destiny to attrition on a guy like ponda baba or other scrubs is great, but I don't think it belongs on a main. It is basically an extra BD that gets around anti-BD cards (but is susceptible to Dark Approach and Why Didn't You Tell Me).
x2
x3
x4
x5
x6
Do you take your hands and face off before you go to bed?

Jabba Shirt guy, sometimes (I found my Shawn Valdez shirt!!).

"Raul stole everyones U-3PO's"
put this in your sig if Raul stole all your U-3PO's

abanger0
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: abanger
GEMP Username: abanger

Post by abanger0 »

jcb213 wrote:
Blarg wrote:
jcb213 wrote:
Blarg wrote:Because of the way Decipher costed cards, the fundamental limit on main characters is the persona. At some point (which we have done), we reach a critical mass of main personas at which decks no longer have to play very many support characters. So if you want a deck involving mains to have access to this sort of text, it has to show up on a main character.

See, for example, how DS mains decks tend to only play something like 3-4 support characters and LS mains basically play Corran, Ackbar, Lando, maybe Leia. There's very little room for random utility characters.
The mains deck will always have access to whatever support characters exist, they just need to decide whether it is worth it to play them. If the mechanic on a support character is necessary in a mains deck, then that deck should find room to play that support character.
That's not how things work though. If it was, then there would be no such thing as RPS. Nothing is ever mandatory, it just helps in certain matchups and hinders in others.
But mains decks already do this by playing Corran Horn. Do we also need to print a main that breaks cover of undercover spies too in order to help prevent RPS?
A shield is the right way to prevent RPS.

GunganStyle

Post by GunganStyle »

Hey, what's rps?
Holotable: ganoman21
Battle.net: ganoman21#1681

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

GunganStyle wrote:Hey, what's rps?
Rock/Paper/Scissors- the idea that the metagame acts like RPS and Deck 1 easily beats Deck 2, which easily beats Deck 3, which easily beats Deck 1.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

abanger0
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: abanger
GEMP Username: abanger

Post by abanger0 »

imrahil327 wrote:
GunganStyle wrote:Hey, what's rps?
Rock/Paper/Scissors- the idea that the metagame acts like RPS and Deck 1 easily beats Deck 2, which easily beats Deck 3, which easily beats Deck 1.
It also refers to the magic bullet game. An overpowered card can potentially be played, so you have to potentially pack a counter. This is why shielding > magic bullets.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

punkbear wrote:
Hunter wrote:
GunganStyle wrote:
RybackStun wrote:
jcb213 wrote:
x2
x3
x4
x5
x6
x7

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

JediJer wrote:I do like the PoA mechanic but would prefer it be on support characters instead of mains.
I think it should be reserved specifically for mains. Powerful mechanics should be on the powerful characters, IMHO. It makes the game more fun to have Luke adding destiny than Twss Khaa.

So if it is to return, it should go back on Luke (or Gaelen or even Vader?) (wouldn't it be worse to have Luke AND the PoA character fight rather than just have it on Luke?).

qasur

Post by qasur »

Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:
JediJer wrote:I do like the PoA mechanic but would prefer it be on support characters instead of mains.
I think it should be reserved specifically for mains. Powerful mechanics should be on the powerful characters, IMHO. It makes the game more fun to have Luke adding destiny than Twss Khaa.

So if it is to return, it should go back on Luke (or Gaelen or even Vader?) (wouldn't it be worse to have Luke AND the PoA character fight rather than just have it on Luke?).
The mechanic has existed long before and only on non-mains.

Blanket adding a battle destiny is the strongest, but the next is choice between power or attrition, i.e. half a BD.

Mains (or characters who can draw bd alone) with the PoA mechanic essentially are getting 1.5 bd... but if combined with Evac v/Justice v, then it's like a lock where they can cause great dmg without many cards and can essentially be immune to opponents attemps at attrition.

Giving the mechanic to support characters, as only ONE option (power destiny or attrition destiny only) makes them useful but not OP.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

With Imperial Justice, Imperial Command, Senate and eventually EOps, I disagree that this mechanic is weaker than adding a battle destiny. It's actually really, really strong (in the Force... Like Luke is...).

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

If the immunity to attrition on AT-AT's is why people like Luke SITF's destiny to PoA so much, why don't they switch to Luke Rebel Scout non-v? He is great vs AT-AT's
Gosse Z. - Seattle

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by DVD ROTS »

Because that card is bad in every other scenario, and part of the reason SITF is good against AT-ATs is that he gives you enough attrition to power through whatever characters are in the AT-AT, not just because he cracks the immunity.

People rarely play cards because they are good in one random niche scenario - they play cards that are good in multiple scenarios that help them handle that one random niche scenario when it does come up.

(Note: this is neither an endorsement nor lack thereof for Luke SITF)
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

Blarg
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Blarg »

And that's really the point - to reduce RPS, there should be a variety of counters of different strengths and requiring different amounts of commitment. There should be counters that require very little commitment (i.e., stuff like Quick Draw or Luke, SITF) which are not very strong counters, but really easy to play, and stronger and more focused things like Under Attack.

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

Bring back in original form, these cards were great for the game, the game is worse off without them
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

:noshake: , Power Creep=Bad
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

DarthFelth
Anthology
Anthology

Post by DarthFelth »

I never understood why the PC added all these counters to limit BD in battles to then go and add a bunch of cards that added destiny to power or attrition? It just seemed like away to circumvent the counters they had just added....

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

If IO/IC v wasn't in the meta how important would it be to have Luke, SITF and Galen to avoid RPS. Just because Boba Fett, BH and Lando exist, doesn't mean it's good to create super strong characters. The only reason I'm trying to argue against this is by allowing power creep in one area then you start allowing crazy pull chains that were existent, etc., etc.

And I'm not sure if that is what led to the reset, just damage mitigation, Slavers and RT-ST's, or if it was really the so called text (I do get that increased timed games).

Idk, I just like that the general power level of the game feels a lot lower with the reset at the moment minus a few key cards.
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Karrdeshark »

So let's bring them back, but make adding the destiny more conditional on opponent's cards, such as only when vehicles or Jedi masters or etc...

qasur

Post by qasur »

Karrdeshark wrote:So let's bring them back, but make adding the destiny more conditional on opponent's cards, such as only when vehicles or Jedi masters or etc...
It could be conditional like, if opponent has double or more power than you. Or opponent drew more battle destinies than you.

Return to “On Deck Discussion”