We'll Take The Long Way (V)

v2i0n
Starter
Starter

We'll Take The Long Way (V)

Post by v2i0n »

This card is huge towards making WHAP playable.

Current Text: Deploy on a site. Your Republic characters may deploy here regardless of Objective deployment restrictions. Once per turn, if you just deployed a Republic character to an interior Naboo site, retrieve a non-character card into hand. Immune To Alter.

If the retrieval was changed from taking it into hand to normal retrieval, would that be good enough for it to be re-released?

Cam Solusar

Re: We'll Take The Long Way (V)

Post by Cam Solusar »

WHAP has to deal with the following issues currently, which make it tier 2 at best:

1) Imperial Decree v
2) Fulfilling Battle Order
3) Activation (the +1 per turn on your 0 side does not balance out the fact you give your opponent 3 force icons, which is a brutal disadvantage against DS Mains)

The take into hand text on WTTLW is really the only part of the deck which is truly interesting. It's very similar to WYS's ability to play interrupts from the lost pile, and while it's potentially more powerful, it's also more limited. There's a lot of strategy involved in deploying your Republic characters, since you have to make trade-offs by over-deploying or under-deploying so that you can get the most out of the once-per-turn limitation. Given all the drawbacks of the deck this mechanic is needed to make it playable. I could see rethinking it if one or more of the above issues are resolved in a future helper or helpers. I really hope that one or more of the sites are virtualized, as they have no helpful super-helpful text, especially the throne room.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

abanger0
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: abanger
GEMP Username: abanger

Post by abanger0 »

Non-thematic. Design a better card.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

Awful card for multiple reasons. Anti thematic, and potentially abusive too.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

RybackStun
GEMP Username: RybackStun

Post by RybackStun »

For the sake of assisting the topic, Should you feel it's anti-thematic/bad for the game/awful design, and what not, why not suggest an idea for this card to assist WHAP?

Or is the hold goal of the push back to just make sure WHAP isn't playable...

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Maybe we can all just admit that the deck is so poorly designed that it needs a card that retrieves into hand to make it even tier 2. Why don't we just redesign this ala RSTv or mwyhl?
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

One of 2 things will happen:

1. An appropriate helper card or virtualization of the sites will allow the deck to be playable. Frankly, since the objective itself is so terrible (from a design stand point) I doubt this option is feasible.

OR

2. The objective itself will be redone in a manner that balances the flip conditions, reward for flipping, etc. Much like the way RST v was redone. Preserve the themeatic essence of the thing, but make it playable. (My money is on this happening)

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

RybackStun wrote:For the sake of assisting the topic, Should you feel it's anti-thematic/bad for the game/awful design, and what not, why not suggest an idea for this card to assist WHAP?

Or is the hold goal of the push back to just make sure WHAP isn't playable...
WHAP is fine. just don't make a card that removes the major drawback on the 0 side.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

WHAP is completely unplayable if you have to march into the throne room

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

darkjediknight11 wrote:WHAP is completely unplayable if you have to march into the throne room
i could prob make 3 dream cards right now that would be perfectly reasonable, very thematic, that would still have whap marching into the throne room.

an amidala "in disguise" that relocated dudes to the throne room if she died (maybe even played an amidala from reserve too)

a new ascension guns (people have done this before)

etc

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

mikefrench wrote:i could prob make 3 dream cards right now that would be perfectly reasonable, very thematic, that would still have whap marching into the throne room.
I can do it in 2

dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

mikefrench wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:WHAP is completely unplayable if you have to march into the throne room
i could prob make 3 dream cards right now that would be perfectly reasonable, very thematic, that would still have whap marching into the throne room.

an amidala "in disguise" that relocated dudes to the throne room if she died (maybe even played an amidala from reserve too)

a new ascension guns (people have done this before)

etc
new hallway that can pull ascension guns every turn instead of opg

komitadji
DS Region: Tatooine
DS Region: Tatooine

Post by komitadji »

JarJarDrinks wrote:I can do it in 2

JJD, name those dream cards!

Return to “On Deck Discussion”