Kyle Katarn

stevetotheizz0

Kyle Katarn

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

What should Kyle Katarn do?

Should he just keep the same text but add +1 to your total BD for each weapon he is carrying? (Instead of scoundrel effects?)

Should he gain any characteristics?

RybackStun
GEMP Username: RybackStun

Re: Kyle Katarn

Post by RybackStun »

Smuggler. I like the weapon instead of scoundrel effect change.

komitadji
DS Region: Tatooine
DS Region: Tatooine

Post by komitadji »

It's not a terrible idea to build a deck archetype around him. He's a semi-main who could have high ability and hold down an alternate, restricted character set based on his own path through Star Wars in the Dark Forces games. There just need to be a lot of cards surrounding him to make that a realistic path.

DarthFelth
Anthology
Anthology

Post by DarthFelth »

I'd like to see him based more around Jedi knight with Jerec as his arch nemesis :epic: :epic: :epic: :epic:

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

While I didn't like how good Kyle was in Scoundrels or the deck, I didn't have a problem with him the way I do with Luke, SITF or Galen. If anything needed to be changed, it be make him "slightly" easier to hit. If Scoundrels isn't coming back, I don't know. Make him something I'd want to throw in more decks, but not op?
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

qasur

Post by qasur »

It would be cool to have a few missions based around Kyle Katarn for an objective. Those missions would dictate the Kyle you choose:

Missions for ability < 5 Kyle to steal Death Star Plans, rescue Crix Madine, or defeat the General Mok (sp?) of Dark Trooper project.

Could later on make missions for Ability-5 Kyle that gets his saber from Y4, then another to do those style of missions.

Jedicon
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by Jedicon »

I don't know that missions will be a part of future sets.

qasur

Post by qasur »

No missions right now; but I think D&D got the mission templating right on their last tries.

I would hope they bring them back in that direction.

punkbear
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by punkbear »

no missions.
Do you take your hands and face off before you go to bed?

Jabba Shirt guy, sometimes (I found my Shawn Valdez shirt!!).

"Raul stole everyones U-3PO's"
put this in your sig if Raul stole all your U-3PO's

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

punkbear wrote:no missions.
:thumbs:
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Hari Seldon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Hari Seldon »

At most this guy should be a card and maybe a ship (if he had one). Decipher set the mold correctly with characters that were from video games when they made Dash Rendar. He is good in certain decks and is not a main. I had never heard of kyle Katarn, and to have a deck built around him that caused him to be able to wreck the most iconic dark Jedi from the movies, the real "mains," was a travesty. If enough people love this guy's totally minor role in the overall star wars universe, then it's totally appropriate for him to be a card. The idea that he needs missions, decks, Jedi testing, lightsabers, etc., made for him so he can be an upjumped main is exactly what I thought was bad about the pre-reset thinking when it came to new card selection.
allstarz97 wrote:...and thematically, as everyone is referencing on this thread, why are people not mentioning the part where mace windu is crying like a little *, gets his hand cut off and then gets thrown out a window?

JosephPhillips
DS Region: Endor

Post by JosephPhillips »

Kyle Katarn was a much more prominent character in the EU than Dash Rendar. And over time he eventually became a very formidable jedi. So, it's not unrealistic for him to be the center of a platform or for him to be just as powerful as any other saber-wielding character.

He's actually a very interesting character that could be used in any number of ways.
"Real wisdom is knowing when to learn from your own mistakes and when to learn from the mistakes of others."

Hari Seldon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Hari Seldon »

"Prominent character in the EU" is synonymous with totally minor character in the overall star wars universe.
allstarz97 wrote:...and thematically, as everyone is referencing on this thread, why are people not mentioning the part where mace windu is crying like a little *, gets his hand cut off and then gets thrown out a window?

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

I think you could use the same logic to say that even the 'Big Three" and Vader are minor characters in the overall universe. Dark Forces was one of the most iconic video games of the 90s, not to mention one of the earliest EU sources. I never owned the game growing up, but I would play it at friends' houses. I played actually this game before I'd seen all of the Star Wars movies. Kyle Katarn appeared in four video games altogether, and has had cameos in several EU novels. Dash has his only appearance in one EU novel, and made a cameo in a sequel graphic novel that focused primarily on Guri.

Now I'm not saying we have to have a whole objective built around him, but he's iconic and deserves to exist in some way in our game.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

stevetotheizz0 wrote:What should Kyle Katarn do?
Get left out of the Base Set, and then forgotten about?

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by DVD ROTS »

Not gonna comment on the card, but as someone who considered himself a pretty big EU fan and read basically every one of the novels I could, I had almost never heard of Kyle Katarn, except in passing. You had to go the video game/comics route to have encountered him.
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

JosephPhillips

Post by JosephPhillips »

DVD ROTS wrote:Not gonna comment on the card, but as someone who considered himself a pretty big EU fan and read basically every one of the novels I could, I had almost never heard of Kyle Katarn, except in passing. You had to go the video game/comics route to have encountered him.
You skipped quite a few books. Kyle Katarn was in the dark nest, legacy of the force, and fate of the jedi series'. Plus some others.
"Real wisdom is knowing when to learn from your own mistakes and when to learn from the mistakes of others."

DVD ROTS

Post by DVD ROTS »

...of those, I actually only skipped the Dark Nest ones. Although I could tell I was thoroughly checked out by Fate of the Jedi. But those books never made me feel like he was exceptional among the Jedi, and the ones where he was brought up, it felt like it came out of nowhere - "why don't I remember this guy from earlier eras?"
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

JosephPhillips

Post by JosephPhillips »

Well, you can find a lot more info on him by doing a simple read on Wookieepedia. I do remember when he was part of a task force sent to apprehend Caedus, he was leading the campaign and it was clear that he was the most skilled out of all the jedi sent, even though Caedus still defeated him easily. I believe he was also on the council.

But in any case, it's not like we don't have precedent in building an entire deck around a lesser known character. Shada had her own platform and she was never in a video game or anything like that.

Return to “On Deck Discussion”