Don't Bring Back Atrocity/Propaganda

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Don't Bring Back Atrocity/Propaganda

Post by stephengascrub »

This is probably a "no duh" type thing (but I saw it posted in on deck voting... :noshake: ), but I really hope we do NOT bring back Atrocity/Propaganda v as immediate or pullable effects that cancel force drains. The cards went in 99% of decks and essentially slowed down games, which are bad.

Now if they are redone as something totally different, I'd be okay with that.

Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Re: Don't Bring Back Atrocity/Propaganda

Post by AnakinSolo »

I loved the combo version, especially for dark side. I always felt worried when I used it, because I thought it might be better used later.

No brainer = lame play

Super high risky/questionable decision making = awesome play
Well, Bye.

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

I'd be a lot more okay with the combo versions, Maven.
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

Cool. For clarity, I did object to the non-combo versions
Well, Bye.

RybackStun
GEMP Username: RybackStun

Post by RybackStun »

+1

dorshe1
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1

Post by dorshe1 »

I'd like to see the cards back as SOMETHING decent since they got to be so expensive. That way people who bought them can still try to fit them into reset format decks. But yeah, the damage mitigation probably won't be the new theme.

Thanks!

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

cards like this may not necessarily be on the "on deck" list because they need to be redesigned, but they are definitely on a separate list for D&D to target for the first few sets because of the increased value caused by their virtualization. There are a handful of cards that fall into that category and Shewski is aware of them.

Fret not dear friends, your investment was not in vain.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

gogolen wrote:cards like this may not necessarily be on the "on deck" list because they need to be redesigned, but they are definitely on a separate list for D&D to target for the first few sets because of the increased value caused by their virtualization. There are a handful of cards that fall into that category and Shewski is aware of them.

Hence the "Something new!" in parentheses after each of the cards on the On Deck list.

Darkness

Post by Darkness »

gogolen wrote:cards like this may not necessarily be on the "on deck" list because they need to be redesigned, but they are definitely on a separate list for D&D to target for the first few sets because of the increased value caused by their virtualization. There are a handful of cards that fall into that category and Shewski is aware of them.

Just watch as they're virtualized into something utterly useless just to spite us :fist:
Todd Johnson

agnos

Post by agnos »

I don't think that there was any problem with the cards whatsoever with the exception of two things: 1. working with the non-v versions (which got fixed) and 2. not being unique. If they're going to fix these things, I'd be a fan.

Darkness

Post by Darkness »

agnos wrote:I don't think that there was any problem with the cards whatsoever with the exception of two things: 1. working with the non-v versions (which got fixed) and 2. not being unique. If they're going to fix these things, I'd be a fan.
Did you not have a problem with them being in nearly all decks? Serious question.
Todd Johnson

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

Darkness wrote:Did you not have a problem with them being in nearly all decks? Serious question.
Do you have a problem w/ houjix or barrier being in nearly all decks?
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

i think for a character card, if that specific persona is in every (or nearly every) deck, that is a red flag. it's fine that some are just better than others (personas), but they shouldn't be so dominant that it's the only option at all.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

JarJarDrinks wrote:
Darkness wrote:Did you not have a problem with them being in nearly all decks? Serious question.
Do you have a problem w/ houjix or barrier being in nearly all decks?
Houjix/barrier have been around since the game was created. Everything created in this game was made knowing that these exist. They are the game. Atrocity/Propaganda's damage reducing text came in about 15 years in or so, and every piece of direct damage made before them did not account for their existence. They threw the wrench in a lot of stuff, all because the PC got direct damage happy with things like Walkers. Control the DD stuff like walkers, and we can live without these horrible cards.

These cards should definitely come back as something useful though, and I'm sure that will happen based on what the PC has said about protecting investments made.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

quickdraw3457 wrote:Houjix/barrier have been around since the game was created. Everything created in this game was made knowing that these exist.
Even if this statement wasn't wrong, it wouldn't matter.

Every new card that comes out would have the problem of being a card that wasn't known about when everything else was created. A terrible argument.

But it doesn't really matter cause u immediately proved yourself wrong since many cards were made w/o knowing about houjix.
dx_37 wrote:
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

gogolen
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

agnos wrote:I don't think that there was any problem with the cards whatsoever with the exception of two things: 1. working with the non-v versions (which got fixed) and 2. not being unique. If they're going to fix these things, I'd be a fan.

If it wasn't pullable and wasn't destiny 6, then maybe it wouldn't be as bad either.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

JarJarDrinks wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:Houjix/barrier have been around since the game was created. Everything created in this game was made knowing that these exist.
Even if this statement wasn't wrong, it wouldn't matter.

Every new card that comes out would have the problem of being a card that wasn't known about when everything else was created. A terrible argument.

But it doesn't really matter cause u immediately proved yourself wrong since many cards were made w/o knowing about houjix.
What was the difference between premiere and ANH? 3 months? like 1 major tournament? Don't be obtuse.

When a new card is made that obliterates the entire concept of tons of cards made before it, it's bad design.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

quickdraw3457 wrote:They threw the wrench in a lot of stuff, all because the PC got direct damage happy with things like Walkers. Control the DD stuff like walkers, and we can live without these horrible cards.
Walkers? I can't remember the last time an Atrocity stuck against walkers. Direct Damage decks play multiples of control so a good majority of the time Atrocity doesn't do much.

The part of it that I felt was good for the meta is the initial reduction, not the DD part. Cause I feel like it helps decks that need time to set up from super aggresive decks. A turn 1 vader w/ saber w/ HD against QMC is gonna put the game out of rich real fast if the LS player doesn't have some early luck. If u can negate the first drain...ur still probably in a hole but u @ least have a better chance.

So basically: bring back the combo versions so we can fix this AND the maintenance issue w/ one shot.
dx_37 wrote:
- Bill Maher

- Derek Jeter

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

quickdraw3457 wrote:When a new card is made that obliterates the entire concept of tons of cards made before it, it's bad design.
I assume you think Menace Fades is bad design then?
dx_37 wrote:
- Bill Maher

- Derek Jeter

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

JarJarDrinks wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:When a new card is made that obliterates the entire concept of tons of cards made before it, it's bad design.
I assume you think Menace Fades is bad design then?
No, it's properly costed. It's not a 6 destiny that can come down at any time and reduce damage. You actually have to go to 2 BGs to satisfy it.
JarJarDrinks wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:They threw the wrench in a lot of stuff, all because the PC got direct damage happy with things like Walkers. Control the DD stuff like walkers, and we can live without these horrible cards.
Walkers? I can't remember the last time an Atrocity stuck against walkers. Direct Damage decks play multiples of control so a good majority of the time Atrocity doesn't do much.

The part of it that I felt was good for the meta is the initial reduction, not the DD part. Cause I feel like it helps decks that need time to set up from super aggresive decks. A turn 1 vader w/ saber w/ HD against QMC is gonna put the game out of rich real fast if the LS player doesn't have some early luck. If u can negate the first drain...ur still probably in a hole but u @ least have a better chance.

So basically: bring back the combo versions so we can fix this AND the maintenance issue w/ one shot.
It doesn't matter if it sticks vs walkers, people had to pack it to reduce some damage. Then it hits any other DD that might have existed, and that stuff becomes basically worthless.

Playing it against an early drain is AWFUL for the game. If a deck can devote all of its first or 2nd turn resources to setting up a 2-3 drain early on, they're sacrificing some other part of their setup -- drawing a bigger hand, saving force. To negate that completely destroys aggro decks and slows the game to a crawl.

Propaganda was big when the 2/2 deck was around, because that could reliably set up a drain of 3 on turn 1 (after turn 0). That led to propaganda/protofail being played more, which hurt other fast decks. All of those cards are just bad for the game.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

Return to “On Deck Discussion”