Graded Star Wars CCG Cards

Learn about rarity, unusual swccg items, and more!
ConnorPsh
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Re: Graded Star Wars CCG Cards

Post by ConnorPsh »

MoveAlong wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:37 pm
How does manufacturing work in the first place?

For example, Decipher develops a game and then I assume they pay someone else to print. Who then cuts the cards and then sorts/randomizes/packages?
Yeah decipher designed the cards and sends them off to Carta Mundi which did the printing, it's the go-to company for almost all big card games. They then order X amount of boxes, the more they order the cheaper they are to produce, and I'm sure there are ways to cut corners to save $, sacrificing qualify control, as seen in some recent MTG sets.

:epic: Returning Collector, Gameplay Illiterate :epic:

muttzen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by muttzen »

Got a bunch of my old cards graded... will try and make content out of it.
F40D148F-1D82-4A83-8C39-BD843EEE7788.jpeg
F40D148F-1D82-4A83-8C39-BD843EEE7788.jpeg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 110 times
F40D148F-1D82-4A83-8C39-BD843EEE7788.jpeg
F40D148F-1D82-4A83-8C39-BD843EEE7788.jpeg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 110 times
can I has urf?

mark m.

DS-61-4
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by DS-61-4 »

Were you surprised and/or happy with the results?

muttzen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by muttzen »

DS-61-4 wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 10:21 pm
Were you surprised and/or happy with the results?
I was surprised at some of them. Seems easier than I thought to get 8, 9. Seems very hard to get a 10. I might make a vid. Also structural damage to the card of any kind destroys your grade. That’s not very apparent from pictures of the card that one finds online.
can I has urf?

mark m.

AdmiralMotti89
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

What's wrong with the Zuckuss? Just curious as it is well apart from the others.
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My Trade Thread
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

muttzen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by muttzen »

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 11:17 pm
What's wrong with the Zuckuss? Just curious as it is well apart from the others.
I’m really not quite sure. I’m gonna make a vid where I go through them. I’ve got a psa 3, and 4 I ended up with, where there was some subtle damage. Will try and see what dinged poor zuckuss :(
can I has urf?

mark m.

muttzen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by muttzen »

Vid # 1, started with dagobah since eric had the question about zuckuss, I’m still not sure why they dinged him so hard.

https://youtu.be/H55ck9e-7Do
can I has urf?

mark m.

DS-61-4
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by DS-61-4 »

Maybe your video will explain it, but do they tell you what they ding them for?

muttzen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by muttzen »

DS-61-4 wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 1:05 am
Nope! They do have general guidelines on their website. BGS is nicer for that. But there is something also appealing about just having one numerical value.
can I has urf?

mark m.

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

muttzen wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 1:13 am
DS-61-4 wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 1:05 am
Nope! They do have general guidelines on their website. BGS is nicer for that. But there is something also appealing about just having one numerical value.
I've always been curious if you open it and regrade it what they'd give it...
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

muttzen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by muttzen »

I suspect for some cards it would be the same grade most times (like the yoda, it’s basically flawless except for one or two noticible but not extreme flaws. Hence mint 9). But there are some cards which are on the border line of two grade (perhaps a very minor and barely noticeable flaw brought it to a 9). You could either submit it for an official regrade..... or just crack the case and submit it again without them knowing. This is why population reports are doomed. In practice one should submit the tag when the case is broken to let them know that card is no longer registered as such but people probably don’t do that.
can I has urf?

mark m.

mlock
Starter
Starter

Post by mlock »

Ok, please excuse my long and possibly harsh rant on my preference for Beckett over PSA...

It may seem a bit shallow at first, but the dubious grading is one reason why I don't like or trust PSA for grading CCG cards. Some of my thoughts are based on looking into the two companies years ago, so some info may be out of date, but I think most will still be valid. I know PSA has a long history of grading sports trading cards (not really focused on round-cornered CCGs), but they also have a suspicious history of autograph authentication. Combine that with the single-number, often bewildering card-grading system, and it's apparent their transparency is seriously lacking. When I considered getting my cards graded years ago, I researched population reports and anecdotes, and found that it appeared much easier to get a PSA 10 than a Beckett 9. This led me to believe that PSA is either lazy, too subjective, or much more generous in it's grading practices. Personally, I'd rather have a Beckett 9 than a PSA 10, since I know it's been more scrutinized under uniform standards. From my understanding, PSA's popularity stands in the CCG community more because of Magic players who use it largely for authentication purposes rather than actual card grading (even though, yes, it is also used a lot to value older/reserve list cards by collectors).

And I understand the preference of seeing one single-graded number, but that single PSA number gives you no clarity to its reasoning, and therefore no counter-argument, to the grading system employed. With Beckett, you DO have a single grade for the overall card, but you also have a categorical breakdown of WHY it was given that number. They give you sound justification, instead of leaving you scratching your head, as you are now. I also believe you can request to not have those four other numbers (centering, corners, edges, surface) on the Beckett card slab if you prefer. Beckett will also notify on the grading if the card has been altered as well.

And although it may seem more superficial, as a designer it would be charitable of me to call the PSA slabs aesthetically amateurish. The label is basic, and bland, and a bit messy. From a graphic design perspective, there's no hierarchy of importance to the text, which impedes its legibility: All the text is the same typeface and size, spread out evenly, so the important information (like that single number grade you prefer) is easily lost, especially among long titles. The text is never bold or large to denote importance, it's only stale left-aligned and right-aligned text, with a foil PSA logo slapped on the bottom middle because they couldn't figure out where to put it elsewhere. No graphic layout artist would let this stand unless it was their intention to just print a DOS window out on an official document. And that red border isn't doing it any favors either - It clashes with any wonderful color harmony the card may have, and it's saturated garishness makes that stark, unimaginative utility of the text even more pronounced. Brutalist architecture has more beauty and functionality than this air-flavored rectangle. And this careless ineptitude in design does not spark confidence in their ability to give any more effort to their card-grading. Rather, it reflects poorly on both aspects.

Beckett at least tries with their slab design, and that probably reflects on the seriousness they give to the details of their card-grading as well. Now I'm not calling Beckett's slab design or grading system perfect, but I believe Beckett is far superior in it's transparency, legibility, information hierarchy, and aesthetic. It does not clash with or supersede the beauty of the card enclosed, or leave you puzzled at the reasoning behind its grade.

MoveAlong

Post by MoveAlong »

muttzen wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 12:07 am
Vid # 1, started with dagobah since eric had the question about zuckuss, I’m still not sure why they dinged him so hard.

https://youtu.be/H55ck9e-7Do
The printing defect "fish eye" is definitely what dropped it. They grade those harshly along with any structural damage as you mentioned.

Thanks for letting us know you sent those off and for posting the content... really enjoyed it. Nice Yoda you have there and really cool those are the same cards you had years back.

MoveAlong

Post by MoveAlong »

mlock wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 3:46 am
Ok, please excuse my long and possibly harsh rant on my preference for Beckett over PSA...
Your rant is acceptable haha. I see what you are saying about the BGS grading scheme. The biggest reasons I like PSA are aesthetic believe it or not haha. Likely because I recall seeing them as a kid, but for whatever reason I prefer the look and ability to stack better for storage. I've owned cards from both and I find the PSA cases much clearer and easier to see the small details of the cards. The plastic is thinner and unencumbered by an inner plastic sleeve.

I have never submitted a SWCCG card to PSA, but have submitted sports cards. I also have looked at several PSA 10 SWCCG cards up close next to some PSA 9 BGS in fact and feel that the rating has made sense and been consistent from what I can see. That's just FWIW, but I have not be surprised by a grade on the cards I have seen.

muttzen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by muttzen »

Next vid - cloud city grades

https://youtu.be/VrgdgDWXHus
can I has urf?

mark m.

Return to “SWCCG Collecting Forum”