Graded cards

Learn about rarity, unusual swccg items, and more!
Holla_Ackbar
Starter
Starter

Graded cards

Post by Holla_Ackbar »

After seeing this DVDLOTS Foil sell for $250, it makes me think it might make sense to start getting cards graded.

This thing wasn't even a 10 either.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reflections-St ... SwU5ZgKx8N

MoveAlong

Re: Graded cards

Post by MoveAlong »

No kidding. I keep an eye on these... That sale has been one of the most surprising yet. I'd pay that for a PSA 10 Premiere Luke, Vader, or Obi-Wan maybe but not for a 9 foil DLOTS. Although I do like to see that some of the PSAs are in demand and getting listed/sold so a better idea of the market can develop. That may encourage some, like yourself, to consider grading.

The Queen Amidala that's out there was purchased recently on eBay and looks like it's getting flipped if the right price comes along which isn't a bad thing imo.

ConnorPsh
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by ConnorPsh »

I think we'll start to see graded cards appearing more and more, especially since sealed product is getting harder and harder to find, meaning less is being opened to get immediately graded.

I put my PSA 10 UNL Darth Vader up on eBay for $10,000 with offers open. We'll see if anyone sends an offer. It is a population 1. Partially because not many have been graded, but generally the only way to get a 10 is having it be pack to sleeve.

After the success of grading that, I'm sending in a lot more cards to PSA.
Avid SWCCG collector. Buy my $10,000 PSA 10 Darth Vader pls.

MoveAlong

Post by MoveAlong »

I'd be interested to know if you get any offers. I just sent a WB Vader in that has a chance at a 10 so for your sake I hope it's a 9 haha. I sent 3 BB Vaders in and I think one has a shot at a 10 the others will be 8s or 9s. I have looked at a TON of BB Vaders on eBay and even asked around here over the last two years and bought the only one that I thought even had a shot.

My guess is there are very few BB Vaders that have not seen a deck and the ones that haven't seem to still have imperfections due to however they were cut and the card stock.

One issue right now is you have to go through 3rd parties to submit to PSA at a normal price otherwise you'll pay $50 a card... Thanks to the sports card bubble. I think TCGs/CCGs are caught up in the bubble a bit as well so we'll see what prices do if that market ever crashes.

I would be interested to know what you guys think would be the most valuable graded cards in the future (let's exclude tournament foils, misprints, promos, reflections gold, Japanese Vaders, etc for now--just normal cards).

MoveAlong

Post by MoveAlong »

I think it will be obvious stuff like the URs, but I think some cards like Premiere BB Vader, Like, Obi, etc will have lower amounts of high grade examples than their print run would suggest. So I think Premiere Vader will be up there with the URs. I can't decide if I think LSWJK foil or non-foil would be more sought after. I'd actually lean toward non-foil since fewer probably played with the foil version.

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

Silly question. Can I send in unopened packs and have them open and graded? Seems like a terrible investment unless you got lucky though.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

ConnorPsh
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by ConnorPsh »

fungineer wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 10:38 pm
Silly question. Can I send in unopened packs and have them open and graded? Seems like a terrible investment unless you got lucky though.
If you send in sealed packs, they'll grade the sealed packs themselves. Your best bet is cracking them yourself and sending the cards in.

muttzen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by muttzen »

MoveAlong wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 8:46 am

I would be interested to know what you guys think would be the most valuable graded cards in the future (let's exclude tournament foils, misprints, promos, reflections gold, Japanese Vaders, etc for now--just normal cards).
Mains, especially premiere mains, but mostly the chase cards from each set. It might chance the landscape of what are the most valuable cards. A brief idea:

Premiere: Vader, Luke, Obi-Wan, C3PO, Leia, Han, Tarkin, Falcon

ANH: R2D2, Chewie, Red 5, Death Star, fake wedge

Hoth: CLS

Dagobah: SoS, Yoda

Cloud City: Fett, CHS, Landos, Princess Leia, Slave 1

Jabba's Palace: Jabba, Princess Leia Organa, Tamtel, Artoo

Special Edition: Tk-422, Princess Organa, Ben Kenobi, DVDLOTS, Jabba, Fett

Endor: Foil Chewie, Solo, DoS, nonfoil DoS

Death Star II LSJK, Palp, Lord Vader, General Calrissian, Wedge, Gold squadron I, DS2

Tatooine and beyond: Lots of mains...

Reflections sets Lots of mains...

Then you also have cards like named Star Destroyers and AT-ATs that would likely also be quite popular. Expanded universe cards... The big uncharted area is when non-SWCCG fans but general Star Wars fans pick up on collecting. What cards would they want? Main characters and iconic things first.
can I has urf?

mark m.

muttzen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by muttzen »

For iconic things, it wouldnt surprise me if cards which today are not worth much could become popular. For example, to general Star Wars fans, Stormtroopers are iconic. Would PSA 10 stormtroopers find places in people's Star Wars collection? Tatooine: Cantina which is generally considered a subpar rare in premiere? X-wing or Tie Fighter? Who knows.
can I has urf?

mark m.

ConnorPsh
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by ConnorPsh »

muttzen wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 12:30 pm
For iconic things, it wouldnt surprise me if cards which today are not worth much could become popular. For example, to general Star Wars fans, Stormtroopers are iconic. Would PSA 10 stormtroopers find places in people's Star Wars collection? Tatooine: Cantina which is generally considered a subpar rare in premiere? X-wing or Tie Fighter? Who knows.
I'm going to be grading a pack fresh UNL Imperial Class Star Destroyer in my next batch. I'm intrigued to see if anyone would buy that for like $100 if it hits a 10.

You make a great point though. I wonder if the huge price spike regarding topps star wars cards from 1977 will affect swccg grading. Wonder bread PSA 10 luke skywalkers and darth vaders are selling for $3000+.

Obviously these cards are older, but it makes minty 9 and 10 graded SWCCG cards look cheap. No reason my Darth Vader shouldn't at least be $500-1000, considering unlimited boxes are $350 now.

It's definitely an interesting sphere that we'll slowly see more and more of

MoveAlong

Post by MoveAlong »

Yeah SWCCG is in a bit of weird spot because they probably weren't as highly collected by your SW fan as Topps stuff. In the TCG arena they were at one time in the 90s almost as popular as MTG and Pokemon... but the years of continued growth of Magic and Pokemon player base gives additional buyers to the market for vintage products from those player bases. Black Lotus was so iconic I can remember being a kid and seeing non-Alpha versions behind the counter for sale. I never played much MTG, but I had bought a few starters and a handful of packs from those worthless WB sets. So vintage Magic collecting is really cool and interesting to me and has just enough nostalgia to keep me looking at the market but never caring about any new cards/never willing to fork over the money of old graded cards.

So with SWCCG we sit in an area where it's kinda a niche thing for actual pure collectors of SW stuff and then the majority of people interested in the game still are people who want to play the game. There are just a few of us in the zone right now I think that slabbed and graded cards are what we care most or at least a lot about. I like it because it gives us more info about the cards and the quality of what's out there, I like the idea of a brand new card that's like the one I would've pulled back when I was a kid, and the market in general is interesting to me as well.

It makes a lot of sense to me that if you're a SWCCG collector only that graded cards would be of great interest, but that may just take some transition time for most---I do see a lot of people going back and trying to complete old collections or trying to get back what they once sold. It might just take getting more out there for people to see and gather an interest in.

muttzen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by muttzen »

MoveAlong wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 2:59 pm
Yeah SWCCG is in a bit of weird spot because they probably weren't as highly collected by your SW fan as Topps stuff. In the TCG arena they were at one time in the 90s almost as popular as MTG and Pokemon... but the years of continued growth of Magic and Pokemon player base gives additional buyers to the market for vintage products from those player bases. Black Lotus was so iconic I can remember being a kid and seeing non-Alpha versions behind the counter for sale. I never played much MTG, but I had bought a few starters and a handful of packs from those worthless WB sets. So vintage Magic collecting is really cool and interesting to me and has just enough nostalgia to keep me looking at the market but never caring about any new cards/never willing to fork over the money of old graded cards.

So with SWCCG we sit in an area where it's kinda a niche thing for actual pure collectors of SW stuff and then the majority of people interested in the game still are people who want to play the game. There are just a few of us in the zone right now I think that slabbed and graded cards are what we care most or at least a lot about. I like it because it gives us more info about the cards and the quality of what's out there, I like the idea of a brand new card that's like the one I would've pulled back when I was a kid, and the market in general is interesting to me as well.
I think with the rise of grading it will add "legitimacy" to SWCCG as a Star Wars collectible. It is interesting, why has it previously not been collected since the license was lost? It's something people don't realize they want yet, but they will once they see it.

Lots of Star Wars stuff out there, but this stuff has a better chance of keeping value than Black Series figures that I see people making giant displays for in their house, for example. Why not a display shelf of graded star wars vintage cards?
can I has urf?

mark m.

MoveAlong

Post by MoveAlong »

muttzen wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 3:04 pm

I think with the rise of grading it will add "legitimacy" to SWCCG as a Star Wars collectible. It is interesting, why has it previously not been collected since the license was lost? It's something people don't realize they want yet, but they will once they see it.

Lots of Star Wars stuff out there, but this stuff has a better chance of keeping value than Black Series figures that I see people making giant displays for in their house, for example. Why not a display shelf of graded star wars vintage cards?
Good points. I'm actually building some shelves in my room with the partial intent to do just that haha. Regardless of what the market does I still love graded SWCCG.

ConnorPsh
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by ConnorPsh »

muttzen wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 3:04 pm
MoveAlong wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 2:59 pm

It really seems that over the last 2 years, (and last year especially), SWCCG is becoming an increasingly relevant star wars collectible.

We've seen complete sets raise, certain singles like LSJK really rise to prominence, and sealed boxes almost dissapear.

It's really a strange thing this didn't happen sooner, but we're at a point of increasing interest and dwindling supply.

Star wars cards as a whole were underpriced until recently with the topps/vintage boom. It's like a good chunk of collectors didn't even realize they existed.

Crazy stuff to watch unfold!

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

Because the grading is collector driven, has demand gone up for mains from Young Jedi and other defunct star wars games too or does it seem only SWCcg is picking up? I doubt anyone wants YJ but images are nice.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

MoveAlong

Post by MoveAlong »

fungineer wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 8:53 pm
Because the grading is collector driven, has demand gone up for mains from Young Jedi and other defunct star wars games too or does it seem only SWCcg is picking up? I doubt anyone wants YJ but images are nice.
I know very little about YJ, my sense is they have an extremely limited appeal being solely prequel related and was not a popular game to my understanding. If Star Wars cards in general are becoming more collectable then I don't see why they wouldn't have some increased value along with everything else. I have seen some on eBay for prices I wouldn't think anyone would pay because it's probably not too tough to find those cards in good condition and submit to be graded yourself.

ConnorPsh
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by ConnorPsh »

MoveAlong wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:01 am
fungineer wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 8:53 pm
I know very little about YJ, my sense is they have an extremely limited appeal being solely prequel related and was not a popular game to my understanding. If Star Wars cards in general are becoming more collectable then I don't see why they wouldn't have some increased value along with everything else. I have seen some on eBay for prices I wouldn't think anyone would pay because it's probably not too tough to find those cards in good condition and submit to be graded yourself.
Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Boxes are cheaper and easier to get, so much easier to crack and submit. Very few valuable singles at all, maybe the last 2 sets have some. The YJ reflections would be the only thing I'd consider.

But yeah YJ and JK definitely never had the playerbase SWCCG did, and I just think the SWCCG cards look better.

I think the popularity, look, style, art, and difficulty to access make SWCCG the perfect contender.

MoveAlong

Post by MoveAlong »

Of note: PSA submission prices just went up to $20/card minimum 10 cards for TCGs.

I was gonna say time to buy the WB Jawa Camp while you still can but it looks like it says "sold" for like $12!?

Other notable sales PSA 8 BB Obi for $100. PSA 9 Executor $75. Haven't seen the Run, Luke, Run PSA 10 sell yet haha. PSA 9 Boba CC $100.

I think the eBay "sold" feature doesn't always tell the whole story, but still interesting!

ConnorPsh
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by ConnorPsh »

MoveAlong wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:16 am
Of note: PSA submission prices just went up to $20/card minimum 10 cards for TCGs.

I was gonna say time to buy the WB Jawa Camp while you still can but it looks like it says "sold" for like $12!?

Other notable sales PSA 8 BB Obi for $100. PSA 9 Executor $75. Haven't seen the Run, Luke, Run PSA 10 sell yet haha. PSA 9 Boba CC $100.

I think the eBay "sold" feature doesn't always tell the whole story, but still interesting!
Just saw this. Crap. I was about to submit like 20+ SWCCG cards including funny stuff like 2PG Luke and Vader.

This makes me rethink some things.

MoveAlong

Post by MoveAlong »

In the spirit of keeping this conversation going I'd be interested to know what people here have in their collection and/or what they are looking for.

I'd really like to get my hands on a PSA 10 BB Dagobah Yoda so if anyone ever comes across one or has a Yoda they think would grade a 10 I'm interested!

Other cards I don't have and I'd like a 10 but would take a 9 or even an 8: Captain Han Solo, Commander Luke, Ben Kenobi, Obi-Wan, Boba, SoS, Red 5, Millennium Falcon, Han Chewie and the Falcon, DSII URs

Weird stuff I'd probably bid on if they were on eBay:
Kal'Falnl C'ndros, Biggs, Corellian Corvette, ICSD, Brainiac, Greedo, U3PO, VCSD, Attack Run, unique snow speeders

Return to “SWCCG Collecting Forum”