Hotel and Flight Info

Bochum, Germany
Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Hotel and Flight Info

Post by Shadow 14 »

Bochum Flight and Hotel Information

This is a post with useful travel information to the European Championship in Bochum.

We all know the problem: there is a SW-tourney in "insert far away city" on "insert random date" and you really want to go. But a brief search for flights/trains results in too expensive tickets, and
nobody wants to do a XXX km car ride alone. So you are done with the tournament, mark "I will not come" on the doodle-poll and that's it...REALLY??? It doesn't have to be!

When to look:

The earlier your trip the better/cheaper. There is a variety of flights/trains you can take and you get exceptionally good deals if you book far in advance. Ideally the tournament dates are published at the beginning of the season. In this way you can pick your tourneys you want to play and make travel arrangements in advance. Some people (like me) are very lazy and don't bother too book until it is almost too late. Other players are too involved with "insert important stuff here" so sometimes early booking might be a rare case.

Where to look:

If we are looking for travel arrangements far in advance we can get good deals everywhere. But if we are late we need to know the good sites! I have found this sites to be exceptionally useful:

FLIGHTS:

http://www.skyscanners.net

http://www.kayak.com

http://www.swoodoo.com

http://www.binoli.com (working with AirBerlin and offers very cheap package tours)

websites of all airline companies (i.e. Ryanair, AirBerlin, EasyJet, GermanWings, etc.)

all last-minute websites (Expedia, Opodo, L'tur, etc.)

TRAINS AND CARS

http://www.bahn.com the Deutsche Bahn website (Germany trains)

Train Special:
On Saturdays and Sundays there is a special train ticket called "Schönes Wochenendticket" (Happy Weekend) which costs around 37 € (up to 5 persons can be included with this for the whole day.

http://www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de (people traveling by car within Germany post here and offer X free seats for a fair price; maybe there is something like this in other countries, too?)

How to look:

This is where creativity can safe us a lot of money! Ideally, you live in the country in which the tournament is hosted. So, you go either by car, train and sometimes by plane. Also special transportation (i.e.the above mentioned “Mitfahrgelegenheit”) can apply. This might be useful for the Berlin crew coming to Bochum as a one way trip will be cheaper than a train ticket.

If you live farther away from an airport and/or the tournament location is also not near an airport (actually this should never happen), or there are only expensive flights to the tournament-airport you have to increase the search radius. Ideally there are more than one airport near the tournament location. Bochum itself has no airport, but it is located next to the airports Düsseldorf, Dortmund, Weeze and a bit farther are Frankfurt and Hahn. Look for the cheapest flight to one of the other airports and either book a train ticket, “Mitfahrgelegenheit”, or ask a local if he can pick you up from
there. Angelo or other locals may pick up players flying to Weeze or Dortmund.
From Düsseldorf it is also very easy to get to Bochum by train (and relatively cheap, approx. 10-15 Euro). If this is still to expensive we need to increase the search radius even further.

Polish players:
If you want to go from Krakau to Bochum, and there are no cheap flights you can try this: You can book a low-cost (Ryanair) return trip to Brüssel/Charleroi in Belgium and ask Cedrik very, very kindly if he is able to pick you up from there, as he will go to Bochum by car. We are a great community and are helping each other. So, if you see players in one region going to a tournament by car and your only cheap flight is to their location, please ask if something can be arranged! For this we should add our country in any Doodle-polls or confirmation lists!

CLOSEST AIRPORTS:

By plane, the best reachable airports with the best train connections are (in order)…

Düsseldorf (45 km, approx. 35-50min to Bochum and no need to change trains).
One-way ticket airport to Bochum is around 10€

Dortmund (35km, 1h to Bochum, change trains 1 time).
One-way ticket airport to Bochum is around 10€

Köln/Bonn (90km, 1h40min to Bochum, change trains 1 time).
One-way ticket airport to Bochum is around 20€.

Weeze (75km, 1,5-2h shuttle bus and change trains 1 time).
Shuttle bus one-way ticket airport to Essen, then train Essen-Bochum. Total is 14€+4,50€.
Flights are often cheap though, so it might be worth to check it out.

See the train special above under TRAINS AND CARS for a special train rate.

ACCOMODATION:

acora Hotel und Wohnen Bochum
Nordring 50

http://www.acora.de

16 min walk or 1 stop with subway U35 to the tournament location.
(2 stops or 10-15 min walk to main station / city centre).
This is where half of the Star Wars players stay. Good reputation on tripadvisor.
Price range: 60-80 Euro per double room (or 80-90 per triple room)

Aleppo Hostel
Nordring 30

http://hotel-aleppo.de/

16 min walk or 1 stop with subway U35 to the tournament location.
(2 stops or 10-15 min walk to main station / city centre).
This is where several of the Star Wars players stay. Located directly next door to the Acora.
They have a hostel and a hotel, so you can find things in different price ranges.
Price range: 20-30 Euro per PERSON (in 2-8 people hostel rooms) or
about 75 Euro per double bed in the hotel

IBIS Hotel at Bochum main station
(actually there are two of them, one at the front entrance and one at the backside)
Universitaetsstrasse 3
Kurt-Schumacher-Platz 13-15

http://www.accorhotels.com

3 stops with underground subway U35 to the tornament location
The Berlin guys stayed there a couple of times.
Price range: 40-50 Euro per room.

Bon marche (previously Formule 1) Hotel Bochum Nord Ost Riemke
Cruismannstr 39
44807 Riemke-Bochum

http://www.bon-marche-hotels.de

3 stops with U35 to the tournament location
(6 stops with U35 to main station / centre)
Very cheap and basic hotel. DDM and buddies usually stay there. Best to reach by car.
Price range: 30-40 Euro per double room.

Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Hotel and Flight Info

Post by arebelspy »

Is anyone passing through the Düsseldorf area on the way there and can give me and my wife a ride to Bochum?

Also is anyone headed south after the event? We're headed down to Munich and would love to hitch a ride with anyone heading that way.

Will be happy to contribute fuel costs. :)

Figured I'd ask before we book bus tickets (slow) or train tickets (expensive). :D

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

arebelspy wrote:Is anyone passing through the Düsseldorf area on the way there and can give me and my wife a ride to Bochum?

Also is anyone headed south after the event? We're headed down to Munich and would love to hitch a ride with anyone heading that way.

Figured I'd ask before we book bus tickets (slow) or train tickets (expensive). :D
Maybe DDM is heading that way, ask him! (and i believe he has some room in the car, too)
Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

DDM

Post by DDM »

We will be heading south indeed on Monday morning.
Not sure at what time though but it should be early morning.

I have technically 2 places in the car but I'm not sure I'll have also room for spare luggages. :)

We will see how much space we have in the car anyway when we will drive to Bochum so we will talk about it once there together.

As for a ride from the airport it depends when you are arriving Joe. :)
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

Calaglin

Post by Calaglin »

arebelspy wrote:Is anyone passing through the Düsseldorf area on the way there and can give me and my wife a ride to Bochum?

I can take a small detour and drive through Dusseldorf. If so, it will be around Friday noon as i want to join the sealed deck event.
Cedrik V. - Belgium
Ruler of the Low Countries

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

You guys are awesome! :D

Sent PMs.

DDM

Post by DDM »

I just answered you.
In short, we'll be picking up Tamas at the Dusseldorf airport (me and my GF) on friday at 11 am.
But we will probably miss the sealed deck event because of sightseeing.
so it's either we pick you up and you sightseeing with us, else Calagin does it and you play the sealed deck event. :)

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

OR you drop your GF for sightseeing, and we all play in the sealed. :)
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

DDM

Post by DDM »

Shadow 14 wrote:OR you drop your GF for sightseeing, and we all play in the sealed. :)
I suppose that's a solution, too. Then I can pick her up later. :D

Calaglin

Post by Calaglin »

I propose Sunday evening.
Cedrik V. - Belgium
Ruler of the Low Countries

DDM

Post by DDM »

Calaglin wrote:I propose Sunday evening.
To pick her up back ? :-D
She will LOVE it.
Especially because she has her flight back to Hungary on sunday morning from Dortmund :-D (it's early enough that I'll make it for any tournament of Sunday)

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Maybe Meike would go with her on sunday. I'll need her help on Day 2 though.
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

DDM

Post by DDM »

Shadow 14 wrote:Maybe Meike would go with her on sunday. I'll need her help on Day 2 though.
IIRC Alexandra's flight is at 8h30. so if you wish me to pick up Meike, and bring her too, sure, no problem! :)

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

8:30 h in the morning?!?!

I've usually had 2 hours sleep by then. ;)
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

Shadow 14 wrote:OR you drop your GF for sightseeing, and we all play in the sealed. :)
i also insist on having an altbier in dusseldorf. :) it's been a long time...
Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

Return to “Euro Championship 2015 - Oct. 16-18”