TBs TR from EC15

Bochum, Germany
TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

TBs TR from EC15

Post by TB »

Disclaimer: I'm writing this in a hurry between work related stuff and i can't be bothered with grammar and spelling. I can see that my autocorrector is changing a lot of good words to strange words, so plz just accept that.

Ok, where do i start..

Kristian’Rax’ has always been the cornerstone of the Copenhagen playgroup from which I hail. Kris has always organized everything for us, planned our trips and made everything work perfectly. Our beloved chieftain, however, has left us for a job in the US of A and the Viking pack is now in a bit of a mess. We are, however, super psyched for the reset and we all (Holo was turned at this years EC I think?) agree that the game has been saved from extinction. I couldn’t see it at first but now its just so obvious to me. So please everybody; lets just gather round the flag and keep this beautiful game alive. Devided we fall, united we… and all that crap.

Because Kristian only listens to Miley I always start hearing:

“So la da di da di, we like to party

Dancing with Rasmus

Doing whatever we want

This is our house

This is our rules

And we can’t stop
And we won’t stop”

In my head sometime around September and then I know its EC-time. We have a fantastic community here in Denmark, and eventhough were all 30+ and many of us have kids we find the time to party and play for real during this weekend. I always look forward to seeing the European players and I seriously cant stress this enough; you guys are the best. All clever, fun, sweet and empathetic people with very different backgrounds and life stories. I love going and I hope we can keep doing it for years to come.
I had tested a lot vs my self for the last six months but I hadn’t gotten a lot of IRL games in, so I felt a bit rusty going in to this. I had made day 3 twice in a row at the EC and took third place last year with sep up superbroken legacy droids (cant believe you can still miss stuff like that, Marv?) so obviously I wanted to do well at this.

Its no secret; I have been struggling with finding my foothold in the new meta. I never really played back in the day (pre 2011) so a lot of more oldschool strategies, cards and shielded stuff is totally obscure to me. I was down with the new cards and thought that was what SWCCG was all about. Now I know better. The game is actually about interaction between you and your opponent and not playing with your own effects, addin 1 here, tunneling with another effect, spicing for 1 here, loosing one to get your own saber etc. etc. etc. No, SWCCG should be a bit more direct and interactive. And it is now. Its different, but im learning and its fantastic (new challenges, right Marvin? ;)

Anyway, me casper, holo, jesper, rasmus and a returning super player called Jonas packed up two boats and set sails for Bochum and yet another Viking raid. Our playgroup is expanding and we actually have 3-4 guys who couldn’t make it. Next year we will bring the whole hird (Viking term for crew).

DECKS
back in legacy I came up with a really lean and super efficient BHBM deck that ive had some success with. After the reset I started using epps over ITA mains and its just wonderful. Lots of space and immense pressure with the big hand from turn 1. Ive refined the deck over the last couple of months and the biggest change is getting rid of my third non bg activation site to include the bf hallway instead. Its super good and makes the HB matchup even easier. I saw Emil go down that route with the deck at worlds, and even though that match sadly went south for my mate the change was an obvious improvement. I also added 2xdark time v to just slay WHAP and just like that my dark side deck was pretty much dialed in.

LS was harder. I really liked 12 card tigih but I figured that people should have understood by now that BHBM is great and with HD being decently strong right now I didn’t really dare bring a deck that often just folds to those two decks. Also, I have played that for a long time, and I don’t think tigih has IT right now. Only thing I knew was; I wouldn’t play QMC even though I consider it the strongest deck for LS right now. I can never win consistently with that deck. Just cant. I always receive the beatdown that I have such a hard time placing properly when I play against QMC. Also, I didn’t want to play WHAP. Its so rigid, imho (Jimmy should later prove me wrong on this). I have HB wings and WYS luke build but im not super confident with those two decks. I find the wys too weak on ground unless you really get luke tanked really quick. And even then its not good enough vs dedicated ground, imho. HB wings is a really brilliant deck but it takes a lot of thought and its difficult to play. So, I really liked emils old combat with luke in space deck. Problem was, though, that BHBM and HD are bad matchups for that deck too. I tested it a lot at the hotel Thursday night and found that cycling your evasion so you can keep HD flipped and let luke drain in space is key to success so after putting in another copy of it’s a trap and an alter v for blast door controls I felt good to go.

Game 1 LS Combat vs Eric playing EOPS
Ok. So Eric is a really cool dutch dude who went to Copenhagen and played at Toola. This was our first game and the matchup could really go either way. My strategy was to set up naboo quick and getting three BGs for resistance so I wouldnt have to eat 4 to Omnious rumors. He wants to setup maul but knows he wont be able to drain so goes for baron I think. I come down with luke and barrier in hand. He gets out another system and goes there instead of going for luke. I drain two and get all wings with luke to setup wedge rsl in skate. Yeah, I like the passenger slot for Anakin, corran etc. over red 2. Might be wrong though. I also drop yoda to the core. Im holding a moving to attack position, Anakin, barrier and green leader so I feel safe. Next turn he sets up ground with walkers and Black sun fleet and bossk with his ship come down too. i remove BSF with mu AO and We move a bit around. I cap his drains, control a few, win a duel with Quiggy, retrieve with luke and I squeeze out a good win.The deck felt good and I was ready for the next round.

2vp 1-0

Game 2 BHBM vs Joe Olsen playing WYS luke (feature)
Ok. So this guy demolished everything this season. Im a bit stressed going into this but I try to calm myself. The mental coolness part has been a problem for me in important games since always. When he flips over WYS and starts the luke effect I know its all going to be fine, though. I sit down confidently having tested this a lot. LS almost cant win. Best scenario I never play vader until late game and just smash luke over and over and over again with mains drawing two and firststrike out. At some point ill set up a system with bossk, zimh and stuff, drain on ground, maybe even capture luke to ping and that’s gg. Worst case ill have to take luke to the emperor early where winning duels can be tough due to wys good destenies. But I will still be draining big on ground once obi and the few scrubs are gone. Easy matchup. I openhand all the good stuff; 2x maul, IHYN, first strike, puller for blast door controls, vader, mara, zimh and friggin 2xsith fury. The whole shabang. To my big surprise Joe deploys luke first turn with journal, stick, hand. I come down with maul, get the effects out. He loses the barrier from hand to FS so blast door controls was the right call. I swing twice an miss. Fair enough. Then I draw 0-1-2-1. Sith fury a 1 for a 4 and that’s it. Luke stays. Next turn I do the same and draw even worse. Luke stays again. I topdeck a 7 and 5 to add the destinies btw. Everyone who plays BHBM knows this feeling and I can just see where this is going. Joe has now setup kessel and tatoine and Is draining hard. I never get my destinies set up in this game and even though I setup som drains at tatooine and get a system for a while I cant turn it around. Joe wins the game and props to him for exploiting the situations that came up and playing a very hard matchup flawlessly.

Game 3 LS combat vs Franks HD
I was fuming going into this game. Or rather I was mentally in disarray. Couldn’t believe I threw that game vs joe away. Kindof a chance to display my deck against one of the worlds best players and I blew it. Couldn’t believe my luck either. I have a tendency to * over stuff like that and bring myself down really hard and I didn’t want to do that this time. Im 35 now after all : ) so I tried to pick my self up at this point. Frank flips over HD, and HD is a hard matchup for combat but luckily he didn’t play (or at least start) AAAv. Franck is just the nicest, mellowest French guy and I really enjoyed playing against him. I hope he stays in the game and that ill see him next year. He initially did all the right things, but Franck wasn’t too familiar with the combat mechanic. I tried to guide him through it, but the win was inevitably going to be mine after I evaded and survived the first couple of beatdown attempts. I saw that he didn’t play any space so luke could drain and retrieve. He tracked 6-5 for combat but ran into 7-6 from quiggy. He then cleverly plays the destiny three int to cancel my combat card but I blind draw a 6 and after that I could set up the high destiny to cause a lot of combat dam to seal the game. Slave leia was really good in this match.

Game 4 DS BHBM vs Cedriks TRM gungan start
Cedrik is one of my favorite guys. Hes a clever guy who runs a tight game. TRM is not the easiest matchups for BHBM so its really up in the air. Cedrik has problemsfinding activation and I have all mine in hand. I also have zimh, zimh and tarkin so when his first move after som tip toeing around is a bold LS baron in red 4 to the system I feel good. I once again have both BDC and FS in hand so he cant use his barrier and I flow him for seven with a zimh. He looses to fs and stacks so that’s 9 force loss in the first go. Cedrik knows he has to stay there so he goes combined attack and peels. Next turn he punishes me with azure angel but I draw 10 to not take overflow and kill everything but ani. Nex turn I come at him with another zimh and bossk in ship. I draw low so Cedrik can keep ani there. He enforces with corran in r2 and maybe something more to add a destiny. Im pretty sure he draws two and we clear leaving only azure angel and ani there. I 4lom thinking “no escape would be insane for a third zimh” Im amazed when I get exactly that card and hit him with the third zimh plus tarkin as pilot to seal the game more or less. He sets up some dudes on the battle playn but maulx3 run them through. This was an insane game for me. I got everycard I needed all the time. Cedrik had nothing. Very unlucky and I know he could have out played my deck had it just given him one turn to solidify his position.

3-1 6 vp

DS BHBM vs Jonas WYS luke
Jonas is my good pal from Germany. He was 3-1 at this point and I was super pumped to see him do well. Hes a good player for sure but my BHBM is just a monster vs WYS luke. We talked and had a good time during our game but Jonas couldn’t really do anything to win the game.

4-1 8 vp

LS combat vs DDMs HD
David is just a legend on the European scene. Hes a good guy, really clever and builds the most insane stuff. HD in the hands of a pro is too much for my Combat deck. I know it going in and DDM knows it too. He stacks my two sites with dark jedis and drains for 7 with 3 sabers. Boom. I control one, it could be worse another and sacrifice a dude with a hoijix for a third. then ellis comes out and I cant run away no more. GG.

4-2 8 vp

DS BHBM vs John Morleys TRM gungan start.
John is a prominent member of the welch team and they have a lot in common with us Vikings. They drink and yell a lot. John is just a super good guy who is always fair and cool to play against. He knows BHBM and I just played vs cedriks deck that Is similar to Johns. So we wait it out and setup sites until I drop kashyyk and bossk, zimh, GMTv there. We battle back and forth over that system and I win it in the end. John says “that’s game” but im not so sure. He tries to take some sites to do damage but I got a hand full of mains and push him away to end the game after a few turns. I saw that he had sufficient space in his deck to have won kashyyk but he just didn’t draw it all at the right point. Had to lose some of it and so on. It could have been much closer but it ended up being a pretty big win. Day 3 was within reach eventhough I messed up vs joe and it was looking goood.

5-2 10 vp

LS combat vs Caspers Senate 12card
How stupid. Me and casper are both 5-2 and the only danes able to reach day 3. Now we have to knock eachother out. Booooh! Casper is one of my best SWCCG buddies and I hate this situation. Also, hes a better player than me so I feel the pressure. I know his deck. I know that eventually nabboo wil be crawling with jedis and AAAv will ruin my day. So I take a chance early on as I need to whittle him down. I have a blast the door kid and an it’s a trap. If I go for the forst one I can get both jedis out AND setup luke in space. Its two more drain and a retrival. I know he has blast door controls but I have a sense for his puller. So he has to have it in hand. I go for it and says go. Caspers deploy phase he plays surface defense v. sense. He then drops blast door controls from hand (he was going for FS. BSD cant be pulled with that int), mara, vader, maul to my jedi and flow for 16. Boom. I actually got some really good drains and combat damage in after that. I wittled caspers deck down substantially, and he had a lot more cards on table than me but i couldn’t really get near a win. Almost, though. Had I played safely in that one turn I could have won this. Or at least it would have been a super close match. Next time, mate!

Ok. So I just missed day 3. What a jib. I was really devasted over that game vs Joe. Would have loved to see both me and Casper go for it on day 3 but it wasn’t ment to be. Instead I looked forward to rooting for Casper on Sunday. He was paired up against krypto and had had some trouble with the polish guys lately, so that should be fun.

On Sunday I ended up playing consolation anyways. I played the same decksas the day before and won a game with each side before having to drop (somebody stood in for me and “we” actually won the event) as Krypto beat Casper. We had an 8 hour drive back home so we hit the roads.

It was a wonderful event and I had a great time with everybody. Thanks to all of you. This community means a lot to me and I love the outlet SWCCG represents in my daily life. I truly treasure that.

PROPS
Chris, Angelo, Tamas and Maike. U guys run a smooth operation. Thanks for keeping it up year after year.

Krypto for winning and just being the best guy.

Team Vikings

Jimmy, DDM, Krypto, Casper, Emil and others for thinking out of the box and showing me that SWCCG is a creative game and that options are not very limited by shake n bake objectives, autoplay and rigid playing patterns. Especielly Jimmy is a great inspiration to me in this department. He plays true SWCCG and does it so effortlessly.

Rasmus, Jonas, Jonas Jacku, Cedrik, Kevin, Marc, John, Franck and all the other cool dudes who I always look forward to seeing at the events.

Rasmus for being you. A true cave troll. I was so stoked on the fact that you cherished two really good players with a gungan deck wearing a 10 kilo viking helmet and being drunk like *. And i mean really drunk. Like teenage drunk

Marvin for making it to day 3 with cct. Well done, pal. but mate, you have to quit * so much about the reset ; )

"It’s our party we can do what we want
It’s our party we can say what we want
It’s our party we can love who we want
We can kiss who we want
We can see who we want"

The venue and all the people at zu den vier winden.

SLOPS
Team Vikings for not mustering a full force. Next year, right?

The fact that our local NARP Jonas N who has been real dominant in testing didn’t do it like he usually does it. But I don’t worry. Hell be back with a vengeance next year.
Last edited by TB on October 20th, 2015, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Results:
European Championships 2014 - 3rd place
European Championships 2013 - 8th place
Toola Regionals 2013 - runner up
European Championships 2011 - 5th place

DDM

Re: TBs TR from EC15

Post by DDM »

Toby, I'm far from a pro with HD.
Last time I played it was in 2000 I think :D
And indeed thinking it back I could have played differently some games with it.
But thanks for the nice words! ;)
The start for drain 7 was indeed brutal but you didn't let me do it. :cry:
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

kryptofis
Holotable username: kryptofis
GEMP Username: kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

Aww, amazing TR! No offense to to anyone in the Top 8, but judging by your skills, you should definitely be there among the best.
Kryptofis

rlx
LS Region: Ralltiir
LS Region: Ralltiir

Post by rlx »

Great report!
TB wrote: Marvin for making it to day 3 with cct. Well done, pal. but mate, you have to quit * so much about the reset ; )
As soon as HDv and WYSv come back, not sooner not later. :explode :roll: :)
#freegalen

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Great writing. I was really bummed when they called out the last game. Out of all the 5-2s and possibly a few 4-3s I had to face you, and only one of us would get the ticket. :(
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

JimmyFrench
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by JimmyFrench »

Nice Report my friend.
It was a shame to play your last game vs Casper.
Danish is the crew who make the game Alive in europe.
The level U and your crew get (I include the swedish even if they don t come this year :mad: ) is definetly up than other nationality and get a pool of player impressive.
I hope Will continue the Kristian Job to make the european so cool (and drunk :lol: ) because your crew is one of the reason why, I have to explore Every corner of the game to find a way to beat U.
I ll be there in Toola next year and Will already make some new decks.
I ll PM U to brainstorm with me about new decks.

Jimmy

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

great report, TB! Thanks for the kind words!
Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

Calaglin

Post by Calaglin »

Awesome TR mate! You really owned me that game :shock: As did Rasmus with his helmet tech, but that's another story :lol:
Hope I can make it to Toola next year
Cedrik V. - Belgium
Ruler of the Low Countries

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

great tr and excellent commentary. well played!

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Great TR. Was a pleasure meeting and playing you. Sorry about your luck in our game. I'd have definitely been worried if you had made day 3 and I had to face you. :D

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

Thanks, Joe. Yeah. I hate be * about stuff like that. its part of the game and you played a very hard matchup magnificently exploiting every situation that presented itself. but it was a rough series of events for me still : )

thing is that if i clear tank luke early you'll have a real hard time ever holding any presence on ground for the rest of the game. Yes, you can get luke back but it will cost you 6 every time and he won't have the hand nor his stick = low ITA which means auto clear and eventually overflow or vader grab. Every time you bring him back ill hit you with swing and 2 destinies and FS dam. Then you have obi and he won't cut it. he could bring a key card like the hand or lukes stick back before he dies but i doubt it would mean anything. you'll never get retrieval going with celeb and from then on ill just drain WYS out with one main on each battleground for drains of 2,2,2 and 1 while satisfying resistance to cap the kessel drain. I might even be able to hold kashyyk with zimh, bossk, elis, boba in ship. winning duels might be rough, though, with your super high destiny average. i have hi destiny too, though, so maybe one or two duels will go in my favor. in retrospect maybe i shouldn't have played vader to the cantina. Having him to strike obi in the mid game would have been beautiful. i did it to either just take luke right away or force you to deploy him elsewhere so i could hit with the 2x maul, 2x sith fury, IHYN, first strike i open handed. That was what i wanted the most and that happened, but i just couldn't clear him. and in this matchup its just so key.
Results:

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Great report, Toby. Thanks for writing it.
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Fduff7
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by Fduff7 »

Hi Toby,

Great TR, I agree with Krypto that you should have been part of top 8 as last year but on another side, there are so many good players for only 8 places (Can't we do a top 12? :-D).

I also think reset flatten a bit the level which is great in one way as it allows new comers to defend themselves a better way. I myself gained leverage from the reset as I came in back to the game 1.5 years ago. Legacy was so huge to learn with numerous cards.
Even if it does reflect in VP scores yet (I have got 4 points this year without any "by", yeah :yes: ), all my games were really tight (I lost one game at lost pile, a couple of other games by 5 or 7 cards). I improved from last year and I will not leave the game for sure. But I really need to train, this is my point. I need to take advantage of the French team strength to improve and why not to be the next year Marvin, kidding, I meant the next in 10 years Marvin :)

Otherwise, thank you for all your kind words Toby, it is always nice to see you and your watches ;)
The game was great too and served me as a good training session. Thanks for your advices.

Franck Duff

PS: I hate slave Leia (played against me of course) and I promise to play AAA (V) next time against your combat deck :lol:

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

your DS list seems to be 59 cards...something missing?

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Great TR, thanks for writing! Too bad you didn't make top 8!
Gosse Z. - Seattle

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

darkjediknight11 wrote:your DS list seems to be 59 cards...something missing?
hmm.. It looks like the sense combo is the missing card. If you want to build this theres a few thing id change. The 2 dark times was a last second add to auto crush WHAP. Of cause i never played it the whole tourney. It used to be maul strikes and something else.

stuff id like to add and that has been in and out are: another sense, another force lightning, another sidious/dooku. aaa v could be a nice add for the retrieval and character looping with 4lom. it rarely happens, but i have been in a situation where i was about to run out of characters. the LSC matchup is winnable without the card, though, so i never bothered to play it. an ellis would be great. its definitely going back in actually as having a main stranded somewhere happens. i used to run two palpys but then again, he never dies. if they dedicate stuff to do it then they often loose the game anyway. other luxury cards are: sacrifice or a force field for character protection. s and d for the HB matchup but for some reason I'm 3-0 against that deck in tourney play. YD is just brutal vs HB and all the space guarantees a successful probing and oftentimes free drains for a few turns.

play the deck, bro. I love it.
Results:

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

don't really understand the BFiS1 choice, with how good BFBH is and how BFiS1 doesn't interact well with emperor's power.

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

yeah, i understand where you're coming from. i have considered making that swop several times. i could make it ig in ship to be able to strike with two destiny with him alone and run bfbh for ground. thing is he doesn't add with any of the dark jedi, GMT often goes to space and he just feels a bit clumsy in the deck.

space is so important with this deck. i have the following outs for striking QMC, space LSC and other ls decks that setup space on their first turn, with a ship that draws two on my second turn; 2 times zimh, bossk (vs independents), and ellis in ship that pulls woof plus force push v. thats six cards and with 12 card start thats almost certain to happen. ig in boat is the only other ship i can find that can do that but he's a poor choice for other reasons. if you can think of another ship that can draw two alone (with emps power) id really like to know.

Ok back to Boba in boat. Sadly he falls out of that category too but he is just so good to drop together with one of the other ability 2 ships to smash with two bd and high power. i can't find a ship that does better by it self. also, he can often hold a system late game and he is another probe ship vs HB witch is super important. but yeah, the non interaction with emps power is terrible. i have played with fewer ships and it really takes away a lot of the oomph the deck packs.
Results:

Twotak

Post by Twotak »

Rasmus for being you. A true cave troll. I was so stoked on the fact that you cherished two really good players with a gungan deck wearing a 10 kilo viking helmet and being drunk like *. And i mean really drunk. Like teenage drunk
Heeeyyyyy!!!
aaahh well proberbly true.

Well props to u old Solo, for bein' a really steady good player AND!! helping me tweek the "Steady" deck! Seems like it worked huh? Thx wierd movie/tv show man :2gunfire:

See you soon
Rasmus Juul. Winner of No Turnement ever

Return to “Euro Championship 2015 - Oct. 16-18”