Krypto's report - part 1

Bochum, Germany
kryptofis
Holotable username: kryptofis
GEMP Username: kryptofis

Krypto's report - part 1

Post by kryptofis »

This is becoming longer and longer, showing basically how excited I am to get that win. I know you guys can't wait for my super funny passages, so hear they come!

PART I

As promised I copy paste some passages from my never-finished personal Live stream thread to start this TR.

Wrocław’s aiport (Poland, Europe for those who don’t know)

Currently I am at the airport cafe, drinking some disgusting thing that resembles tea with lemon, and trying to figure out a difficult match-up for my DS deck.
But the EC started for me 5 hours ago or so with a call to Angelo. I woke him up of course. I am not used to ppl sleeping at 9 o'clock. I have 2 small kids. 9 am is middle of a day for me.
What I called for is my polish buddies (3 of them this year, traveling by car!) who had some issue with hotel booking. Chris said some time ago that there will be a possibility of a sleep-over at the Zu Den Vier Winden (sic, I even think I nailed the spelling), and they want to explore that opportunity. At least for tonight. And Angelo was foolish enough to give me his number some time ago... he's the local, he should know, I thought. But half asleep he said he needs to find out and will come back to me when he gets to the scene. That's fine, I guess.
I am really looking forward to my buddies sleeping on the floor of the pub, confirming Poles' reputation of the civilized, western-nigh nation... I guess Rasmus does it every year, so no shame there ;)
But also, it got me thinking that I should call every good player tomorrow in the morning when I wake up (6 am, ppl!) to mess up their entire day. Some of them might play me in game 6 or 7. Good luck staying focused at 10 pm after my call at dawn!
Would that be cheating?
Casper, don't expect a call.

Anyway, I ramble. I better get to my match-up.
See you in

Dortmund!

So the guy at the airport security was a Star Wars fan. As he was going through my backpack (I left my water there, dumb-ass) he saw my Sealed Decks boxes and we started talking. Man, that guy knows a lot about new movie. I guess I consider myself more a SWCCG fan than SW fan, but I know my share. With this guy, though, I looked like a 1st grader talking to a professor.
Arrival
I have arrived, save and sound.
On the way I met a lisping Norfolk hobo, traveling through Europe with Ryanair and Wizzair. He wanted to gamble with me on something I didn't quite understand, but in the end I had a laugh or two. He didn't like Wrocław (my city), though, so that kind of sucked.Both a bus and a train were late. In Germany! The World is ending...And when I arrived at the scene, everyone was actually playing Star Wars. This made me feel at home.
Stay tuned for the team tournament. I am playing with Angelo!

So... that's when I stopped writing my personal live stream updates. I was kind of busy playing star wars for most of the 60 min. for each game and the I was busy talking in the meantime (something I'll expand on a bit later). But now as the tournament is over, things need catching up. Starting from the beginning, which were...

Preparations

In 2014 when missing out on the EC (my daughter was born very close to the date), I made a promise to myself that I'll definitely make one of the big 2 in 2015, i.e. Worlds or EC. I am closer to making Worlds every year, there's a good, yet tentative yet, plan for making it in 2016. This year, though, resistance in family brass was too big and I have to go "business trip" route. I didn't have to do that with the EC (it's closer, it's not US, it's shorter), so I booked my tickets early (in March, I think).
Since then preparations where on my radar, I started sorting through my cards, hoping to put them in order for the first time ever. Mainly to know what I am missing and hopefully trade for/purchase the missing ones. It took me months with the little steps approach (20-30 min. every day) to finally have a complete list of what I have, what I want, what I need. Btw, if you still haven't checked out the great card list Trevor has put together, be sure to check it out. It was a huge help for me.
The first shot at actually thinking about EC decks was like six weeks before Worlds, when Matt H-T (it gotta be "Holotable" Matt) brought up our lose conversation from couple of months before about my willingness to help in Worlds preparations. To become a top player, you gotta PT with one, so I promptly agreed and we started talking decks over the e-mail and on the difficult to come up with HT slots (we are like 9 hours apart).
At that point I was WhatsApp talking with Nico Kreidl, who was strongly considering going to EC and surprising everyone like he did between 2005-07. We even played a few games on HT and Skyped a bit, but from then on, despite several attempts from both of us, we couldn't find common times and after the Paris tournament fiasco Nico gave up, I think.

So, despite Nico being in the loop it was me and Matt talking and playing. Not long after that we welcomed Tom Kelly in our ranks. Yeah for another big player in what I considered my playgroup! It was at a time when QMC was already settled for and Nabbo CRv was still strongly considered. I don't remember the thought process for going from Naboo CRv to IE as I guess it happened between Matt and Tom, as last two weeks before Worlds I wasn't so much in it.
Both QMC and IE came out of my "gauntlet" and they were heavily tweaked to become the final Day 2 product. Note that I disagreed on some of the QMC choices back then. I liked the IE changes, though (i.e scouts and big walkers).
What's important to consider is the satellite decks that were in the conversation, namely WYS (disregarded for the IE matchup), HB, WHAP for LS and Naboo, HD and SYCFA for DS.

You all know how Matt and Tom faired at Worlds. IE was stellar, although a big risk for Day 3, QMC was more than solid with tough loses against popular in the meta Starfighter decks. But both performed according to expectations and they were my solid base for the EC.

I started working on my versions of them 2 months before Worlds, playing them left and right on HT, making sure I can get a lot of games in against different opponents long before the EC date, so then I can "low radar" them 5-6 weeks before the EC weekend. They performed well, except for QMC against fighter decks. WYS, although popularized by Worlds, was still not very visible on-line, so I wasn't aware that IE had that weak link back then. On paper it looked like IE just walks over WYS.

Around those magical 6 weeks, I had all the major decks built, well PT-sted day 2 decks and... no one to play with. Matt was MIA, Tom probably played Hearthstone or Dominion. I played random pick-up games on HT with my 2nd strong decks/Day 3 candidates (so Gungan TRM - after being beaten by Jarad on the OMTS#6 final; HD, Court, TIGIH 12, Profit - yes, you read it right; Eops and Cor/Tat CRvs).
And then, mysteriously, without any e-mails or set-ups, Tom started showing up at the exact slot I have available most of the days. It must have been just a lucky coincidence, but, man, did it help me. Over the next 3 weeks or so, I played most valuable testing games of my career. No kidding.
We have beaten the dead horse with IE vs. LSJK WYS (which proved to be the bad match-up for IE), QMC vs. all kinds of Starfighter decks, IE vs. mains. Decks started evolving and they finally found their shape like a week before Worlds.
I e-mailed them to couple of ppl for opinions, got some valuable comments from Jarad, Matt C. and a never materialized promised from Hayes.
In the end I settled for decks that:
1. I knew that mains could be tricky for IE, but I found what I thought was a great plan for LSJK WYS and
2. QMC, even skewed to beat the fighters, was still 50/50 at best vs that type.
You gotta pick your battles on Day 2.
In the meantime, I settled on 2ndary and Day 3 decks, which I played in the games of Euro Online Qualifier. Give or take 10 cards...

I built the physical decks the weekend before the EC, built them for Joe as well, and I took a break from SW, going through decks and collection stuff only. Unlike previous years, I did not take a real deck into my hands before Friday and...

The Team Tournament

Well, almost.
I was not supposed to play in it. My flight was bringing me to Bochum late, I didn't have a teammate. When I arrived, I was so happy to see everyone, I just wanted to talk. Those guys feel like old friends, although I meet them once a year or even less often. Idk what it is.And they all welcome me like an old friend too.
During the EC, I said to some of them some kind words, but I want to repeat them here, giving you an opportunity to get to know those guys a little better. So here's the...

European Scene with Krypto's eyes

Chris and Angelo

They gotta be first. I mean, those guys can be rough by the edges, they can be tired with my questions and requests, but, man, do they respond to my requests, questions and community needs! They are always patient, they are excellent organizers and great spirits of the game. They are like Flip and Flap of SWCCG European community and one of them happens to be a good player sometimes. The other is a legend, who I always fear to face.

The Swedes

Honorary mentions as they did not show up. I was extra disappointed not because it took away from legitimacy of my win, but because since 2 years, I have been learning Swedish (work related) and wanted to test it on them. Also, when I mean Swedes, I mean Emil, Kristopher and Gunnar. I don't know Par. I don't think the latter two have ever played with our best player, but Swedes are Swedes. Gentlemen and silent assassins in their killer hairdos.

The English!

Well, you are so well known it would be a waste of time to talk about you two. You need to know that you were deeply missed, especially by your Welsh-Secret-English colleague Marc ;)

The Danes

I mean, THE Danes. Those guys are like a must meet group. And I might not know all the names or achievements of them, but let me assure you, if you haven't met at least one of them, you should have a new goal in your life. To do it. Luckily, you will all soon meet Kristian, who wasn't at the EC this year cause of some job or something. But the decks he helped tweaking came with his best buddy, Casper.
When you judge Casper by his appearance you might wonder if it's not a guy who came up with an idea of how to warp time and he decided to come to us from the 90s.But when you talk to him, the sheer intelligence and wit comes up straight away, so you look at the guy in a whole different and frankly better way. You start listening and then you realize that, sadly, he's a Chargers fan... And then you walk away. Only to run back to see his amazing deck ideas. Half of the field played his decks, no joke!
And then there’s TB. I don't know if Toby (known as TB) follows NFL, but it wouldn't matter to me, even if he was an Eagles fan. I mean, this guy is like Friends series. You see it and no matter what, you gonna smile. As a father of a little girl, I know I will give hard time to her boyfriend(s) in the future, but I wouldn't blink an eye if she brought a guy like TB home. He's the Winnie the Pooh of SWCCG, but more in Gemme kind of way. Plus, he's an SWCCG enthusiast like me, so how not to love this guy?
Then there's Rasmus. I mean, if you haven't met Rasmus, I think your life sucks. Plain and simple.
There are other Danes there too, new ones as well, but I don't know them all that well yet. I just love how their community is growing.

DDM

The guy with whom I played my first real life competitive game after coming back in 2007 continues to amaze. His devotion to this game is as legendary as his deck creations. He practically doesn't sleep when he goes to a tournament, testing and refining things till the very last minute. He also helps a guy who doesn't speak English to take part in tournaments. Kudos for that.

Tamas

Our lone Hungarian player and another one who hangs in there since forever. I'd say he's just a nice guy in everything he does. He can even win a game sometimes.

Zee Germans

With Marvin, Nico, Jonas, Joerg and others they are the solid team that keeps Angelo in his amazing form and produced Marvin The 2015 Wonder. They are also great ppl who have helped me for years and helped my Polish crew this year as well. Thank you for that!

Jimmy and The French (with Cedric as a bonus)

Well, stereotypes are ofen unfair, but I guess at least one is true with our Frenchmen. They like to use their language a lot. And so they keep all the preparations in-house, hard to pinpoint what they are talking or thinking about. And then there's creativity that ensues, which throws you off-balance right of the bat. As ppl they are joyful and they hate losing. You can feel that. Jimmy is their main man, he's like the father and protector of them all. Well, he actually was a father to one of the semi-participants of the EC, as he brought his son to Zu Den Vier Winden. Every time I looked at his boy at 1 am, keeping his composure and spirit - my jaw dropped a little more. You have an amazing kid, man!

The Welsh (Team)

Have YOU seen those foils?! They also have T-shirts, bags, all kinds of memorabilia and what not. They are the real team in this community. They drink like one, they talk like one and they throw jabs at the English like one, sadly not knowing that one of them IS English (I kid, I kid. But you gotta admit that eating beans for breakfast is kind of English...).

The Poles

I mean, they have always been there, longer than me, but for the first time they decided to travel. And they did well, Hipo ending 9th. They need some more practice and at least two of them are the Top 8 potentials.

and a special guest - Joe Olson

I mean, he's retired at 30 years old. That speaks of the guy more than my words I could think of. What I like about Joe is that he talks about preparations like it's a normal thing, he's not shy admitting he does a lotof them. Also, he talks really fast and he's wife is super nice. Sry about that 'Hawks loss, man.

Back to the Team Tournament

So though I wanted to do all the talking, I got called by Angelo to make up the "Our deck is called Angelo and Krypto" Team. Neat name, gotta give us that.I pick DS, pick my EOPS up from the 3rd string deckbox (I got the idea from Jarad) and we face the Welsh.

Game 1 (1/17 on the weekend) against John's HB
I think John played some kind of all ships and weapons HB deck, which I think he thought my deck matches well against as he didn't give me much resistance. WE had some battles in space until I cleared him twice off the system and then I just drained him out.
FW +20 something

Game 2 (2/17) against Joe's WHAP
I was really pumped to face Joe. He's THE name this year and I got a good match-up too, which I playtested a bunch. I wanted to set-up quick Rumors drain on Fondor, but I missed the obj pull. Instead, I went to Endor and drew some. He set-up his stuff for a flip the following turn. I deployed Bliz 4 to download Mara to the db, added Ozzel for good measure and a ship to Fondor. He flipped, added a Jedi with Saber to Amidala and Caldera Righim-ed my site. Ha, neat move, but I guess I am good. Draining 4 for free and having time to set-up my hand was nice. He pings from objective, from the blaster effect and drains for 2 and then he deploys another Jedi for another drain two. So we're draining and after I have 2 Mauls in hand I attack his lone Jedi and clear the site. He drains; redeploys and I repeat the clearing with another Maul. I think we're down to like teens, so I shuffle some ppl around the db to have less than ability 8 and next turn he burns a houjix while I clear him off of his 2nd site yet again with another copy of Maul. I win by small numbers in the end.
Good: Maul and win over Joe; Angelo winning by lost pile count vs. Chris
Bad: nothing really, everything worked as expected.

So Joe asks me about my deck and we talk about Jarad's deckbuilding and testing skills/strategy for a while. After the conversation I think Joe is convinced that taking this deck will get him to Day 3, so he asks me to borrow it for tomorrow. No probs.

What follows is what is to be the final game of Team Tournament, i.e.

Game 3 (3/17) against Koen and Floris
I am not sure what Angelo is facing (he played Combat himself, I think) but I am to play WYS. Pretty fun match with a lot of movement and battles. Classic SWCCG for me. Floris starts two usual WYS effects and Aim High effect, so I can expect some weapons (it was EPPs mainly). During the first few turns he also does some Obi-Wan pooping and he sets I can’t believe He’s Gone nonsense. In the meantime, I pressure him with drains and clear him off ground with my buddy Maul. In the end, it’s too much for him and his deck collapses. I made a comment in the end, which I am going to practically use – explore just one idea – either weapons or pooping. I think I am going to try both :D

FW + 19
Good: another win
Bad: I started a bad streak for Floris

So, it’s already 1 am, I am urging everyone to go home and get some sleep and I manage to convince some of them. By a NOT unanimous decision, we call it a day, Vikings go on drinking and I take Marvin home to get some sleep before…

Day 2

Which I will describe in a day or two ;)

Kryptofis

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Re: Krypto's report - part 1

Post by TB »

krypto. There are so many great points in this post that i don't even know where to start. I have been wanting to break down the EU community like that for years : ) all you write is true and the dynamic of the many different crews is so fun to behold. One of the best things about the event every year. Nobody is a stereotype per sé but if you have travelled Europe you know that every nation has some basic traits : ) The french, the germans, the dutch, the brits, the scandinavians etc. its just hilarious.

btw. i do follow sports like a mad man. But I'm not really that into american sports. I have tried to follow NFL in the past and i will try to get into it in the future. it definitely intrigues me. Jonas is a big NFL fan. maybe he can show me the path.
Results:
European Championships 2014 - 3rd place
European Championships 2013 - 8th place
Toola Regionals 2013 - runner up
European Championships 2011 - 5th place

rlx
LS Region: Ralltiir
LS Region: Ralltiir

Post by rlx »

kryptofis wrote: At that point I was WhatsApp talking with Nico Kreidl, who was strongly considering going to EC and surprising everyone like he did between 2005-07. We even played a few games on HT and Skyped a bit, but from then on, despite several attempts from both of us, we couldn't find common times and after the Paris tournament fiasco Nico gave up, I think.
Man, that would have been great if he had come to tournament. He could have stayed at my place as well, as we had originally planned two years ago. I still have his worlds trophy somewhere. Could you pm me his phone number?

Did he travel to the Paris tournament that was canceled or what do you mean by Paris tournament fiasco?
#freegalen

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

wow, your report is longer than ddm's.. and he can write. that's one of the reasons you won this year, i guess.

also, thanks for remindig me of my spectacular finish this year ;) i don't remember when did i have such bad record. :( maybe next time, i need to play more between tournaments. today i read through all the v-cards (and i was surprised by some), and i'm excited.

again, congrats! and can't wait for part 2 and 3!
Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Thank you for all the very kind words. Not sure what a Chargers fan is though :), but if it's something that makes people run away - I'm one! :)
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

this was fun to read
Well, Bye.

DDM

Post by DDM »

Krypton.
I'll call you that from now on.
You deserve it! :)
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

I sincerely apologize for not returning your email. Real life has been real for me as of late. If it makes you feel any better I wouldn't have advised you to play the decks that you did ^.^

Great showing Z. Can't wait to read the rest!

JimmyFrench
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by JimmyFrench »

Excellent!! Report & Krypto(n) view. U did a great return after the 2014 european missing.
Hope U Will be there next year with all our european champion (Emil, RAX, Nico,..) to make an Awesome tournament.
Cant wait 2nd part :mad:

aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Where is part 2? I was without internet for the entire weekend, and fully expected to read it at work today... :)
- Casper Jørgensen
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Good start for your TR, can't wait for part 2! And congrats again
Gosse Z. - Seattle

kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

Sry for a big delay, I have half of it written, just can't get to writing the second half of the second half...
Kryptofis

gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Just post 2A already then, that will keep us satisfied for a week or so and you can finish 2B in the meantime 8>
Gosse Z. - Seattle

Twotak

Post by Twotak »

kryptofis wrote:Sry for a big delay, I have half of it written, just can't get to writing the second half of the second half...
dont worry krypto buddy. let me write it for ya then :lol:
Last edited by Twotak on November 17th, 2015, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rasmus Juul. Winner of No Turnement ever

aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

... ?? Krypto??
- Casper Jørgensen

kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

And then I won!

:rimshot
Kryptofis

gossuii

Post by gossuii »

lol!

(I was hoping for bit more though :lol: )
Gosse Z. - Seattle

Return to “Euro Championship 2015 - Oct. 16-18”