Instant non-card feedback!

Philadelphia, PA
Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

So give me some tips or ideas everyone has for making this event better. Obviously leave out the card discussion please.

What worked, What didn't?

@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Kessling

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by Kessling »

Other than the one over zealous hotel employee I would view it as a total success.
Mike Kessling - Atlanta, Ga

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

yeah, apparently we are getting billed a surcharge for bringing in outside food because the hotel is a Union run hotel.

so the event was a huge success, but I would never go back to this hotel. I think there are a couple others nearby ( i know Kessling stayed at the Marriot about 2 blocks away)

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

Advocate
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

I plan on talking to them tomorrow.

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Tyrith
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Tyrith »

Need to look at deck lists as prt of selecting feature matches. I know the DS meta didn't leave a lot of options, but it was a lot of similar games on stream for most of the day. The commentary was generally good, although it would have helped if the commentators were looking up cards as they went or had a little better knowledge of what some of the cards do. Really appreciated the updates throughout the day.

Advocate
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Any tips for improving things?

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Advocate
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

The events themselves minus the hotel?

@swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Less cube, more arm wrestling

PC Store Manager
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Over all it was great. Here are some nit picky things only because you asked (and they in no way made any part of the event not enjoyable):

Not sure how workable it is (Kim?), but the ability to email deck lists would be handy (and maybe helpful for James too, for when he posts them to the site).

More foils for everyone (it's cool top 8 gets their own exclusive foil, but scrubs like them too... Maybe give everyone them but put some special worlds Top 8 icon on their copies of foils and give rest of us copy of same same foil but with a World Scrub icon). Think this was evident in how crazy excited everyone got over Chris's awesome Foil gifts for us. (Thanks again, by the way!)

Either a consolation tournament or double elimination for team tournament. $20 for one game was kind of steep.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Oh yeah. Not sure how participant heavy this would be, but make like name tags or something. I know for MPC I bought the proofers little patches to wear so players could know who the F is messing up hte speelings on there cardz, and I got to meet a bunch of people this weekend from the boards. It would have been cool if players had lanyards or something (another idea we kicked around in proofing) with people's board user name on them and if they had a volunteer role, put that on the name tag too (for example, I got to hear some cool stories from various other volunteers this weekend between rounds - would have been cool to be able to put a face to a message board name earlier though. Also, I lack Maven's crazy impressive memory skills.).

Also, that may help Kim keep track of who already paid and pre-registered or had a bye or something.

abanger0
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: abanger
GEMP Username: abanger

Post by abanger0 »

gogolen wrote:Less cube, more arm wrestling
I don't understand what people find interesting about cube. I find it boring as hell. Perhaps I'm missing something.

kryptofis
Holotable username: kryptofis
GEMP Username: kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

As a spectator (and partial comentator), I'd say the event was handled great from that perspective. All information was flowing to us instantly, updates were great.
Kryptofis

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

This event was phenomenal.

The PC and this community are amazing.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

This weekend was amazing.

One changed: Day 1
It doesn't quite make sense to have the last qualifying event before day 2 be restricted to only those without a bye. I had to not play in sealed or the cube, and pass down various available byes from the regionals to allow myself to be eligible for day 1 games. After avoiding a bye for day 1 you still technically might not qualify. It doesnt really make sense. You should be able to play day 1, amd possibly get prize money. I some people already have byes in day 1 that would let the others get them so everyone is set. Finally, day 1 should be a tournament scheduled to either end when the tr tohrnent starts, or alternate scheduling could be considered for when you have classic events running concurrently.

Zarantai

Post by Zarantai »

Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:Oh yeah. Not sure how participant heavy this would be, but make like name tags or something. I know for MPC I bought the proofers little patches to wear so players could know who the F is messing up hte speelings on there cardz, and I got to meet a bunch of people this weekend from the boards. It would have been cool if players had lanyards or something (another idea we kicked around in proofing) with people's board user name on them and if they had a volunteer role, put that on the name tag too (for example, I got to hear some cool stories from various other volunteers this weekend between rounds - would have been cool to be able to put a face to a message board name earlier though. Also, I lack Maven's crazy impressive memory skills.).
As a newish player who tends to browse the forums a lot, I think this is a great idea.
Trevor Partridge, Pittsburgh

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

The travel vouchers for Regional winners were also a big hit. I talked to at least 15 people who would rather have that prize than a Nationals event

PC Store Manager

MrPurple

Post by MrPurple »

Scott,

You and the PC are amazing. I look forward to this and the MPC each year. I remember the first MPC.... we played in some stuffy basement in a random card shop in PA.... now we play at the Hyatt every year. You've turned these events into annual gatherings in which winning is great, but people fly from all over the world to mostly see old faces and have a good time.

IMO, there is only thing you could do.... never leave! Keep the PC going. :-D Thanks, Scott.

And big freaking props to Kim for running these events! Seriously!!!!
Matt Sokol

Zarantai

Post by Zarantai »

MrPurple wrote:And big freaking props to Kim for running these events! Seriously!!!!
x2

Lots of hard work on her part. Greatly appreciated!
Trevor Partridge, Pittsburgh

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Kim and Scott are the best.

You forget how good these things are until you go, and then get blown away.

Mad props.

Also Gogolen does an awesome job on lots of stuff (coordinating the store, prize stuff on paypal like the travel vouchers, etc.). I'm sure there's lots of other people behind the scenes we don't even know about doing a lot, but those three immediately came to mind.

Archmage
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by Archmage »

The tournament was excellent.
It is run better than most professional events.
I would be nice if a high level rules guy was there.
(I think a couple of things were misruled)
Largest Sanctioned SWCCG Tournament - 1st Place
US National Champion 2006
Rank in local store - 4th - 6th

Return to “World Championship 2015 - August 6-9”