Instant non-card feedback!

Philadelphia, PA
User avatar
Advocate
Advocate
Posts: 36605
Joined: October 29th, 2002, 5:18 pm
Location: Yardley, PA
GEMP Username: advocate

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by Advocate »

imrahil327 wrote:Also the new banners look baller
Nice. Glad you liked them. Sac and Jeremy put a lot of work into the graphics for that. It was amazing.

I was happy with the smaller ones too everyone signed. Justin got one with the top 8 and Menzel took the other signed by everyone we could find (minus the Hilton staff).


Image
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

User avatar
kcaton
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Posts: 753
Joined: January 3rd, 2008, 12:18 am
Location: Norristown, PA
Contact:

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by kcaton »

Gergall wrote:Mark, Tim, and I all volunteered our phone numbers to assist remotely. Mark did end up fielding some questions but I assume that was only a small fraction of the total rulings.

Since Mark is the ultimate authority and was available, Tim and I did not get any calls.
Anything I couldn't find immediately in the CRD with <control F> I called Mark for. Trust me, he got plenty of calls :). Never underestimate the ability of a Star Wars player to end up in the most ludicrous of gameplay situations...

Thanks for the remote support, but i vote x infinity for someone in person plz :)

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 6988
Joined: April 1st, 2007, 2:15 pm

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by allstarz97 »

Nice job by everyone, we should have brought the top 8 player interviews back though. Those are fun to watch.

User avatar
lsrubin
DS Region: Yavin 4
DS Region: Yavin 4
Posts: 2905
Joined: September 18th, 2011, 6:05 am
Location: Silver Spring, MD
GEMP Username: lsrubin

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by lsrubin »

kcaton wrote:Never underestimate the ability of a Star Wars player to end up in the most ludicrous of gameplay situations...
Image
☮ ♥ ⑦
arebelspy wrote:The magic was inside you all along, you just had to believe. <3
kcaton wrote:"Jesus Christ, is that Lenny!?"

User avatar
JediJer
Administrator
Posts: 26017
Joined: December 3rd, 2002, 1:42 am
Location: Utah

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by JediJer »

Advocate wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:Also the new banners look baller
Nice. Glad you liked them. Sac and Jeremy put a lot of work into the graphics for that. It was amazing.

I was happy with the smaller ones too everyone signed. Justin got one with the top 8 and Menzel took the other signed by everyone we could find (minus the Hilton staff).
Yeah, I was impressed with them, until I saw the close up shots and those made me cringe a bit, but what can you do. :P

rhendon
Member
Posts: 11346
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by rhendon »

kcaton wrote:
Gergall wrote:Mark, Tim, and I all volunteered our phone numbers to assist remotely. Mark did end up fielding some questions but I assume that was only a small fraction of the total rulings.

Since Mark is the ultimate authority and was available, Tim and I did not get any calls.
Anything I couldn't find immediately in the CRD with <control F> I called Mark for. Trust me, he got plenty of calls :). Never underestimate the ability of a Star Wars player to end up in the most ludicrous of gameplay situations...

Thanks for the remote support, but i vote x infinity for someone in person plz :)
Any coin flips take place this year?

User avatar
mr007agent
Member
Posts: 6876
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 1:43 pm
Location: South Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by mr007agent »

This year it seemed like a lot of people needed byes. I guess because Worlds was very early this year and less time for state events and opens or whatever but I personally don't like having an infinite amount of silly events to pass out byes until everyone has em. At the same time it is lame to show up to worlds and not get to play. I am not sure what to do about it. The feel of getting a bye into day 2 seems meaningless. Now it's just show up to worlds and you get to play. However, I absolutely HATE that there were only 3 players for constructed day 1. Maybe limit a player to only one silly qualifying event. That way more people have to play in Day 1. Then in Day 1 just have everyone qualify who doesn't drop and give 1st their money back or a cool promo/v card etc only for day 1 winners.

I really like having a small break for lunch even if it is only 15 minutes. I didn't get to eat all day :(

It would be nice if we could invest in a bigger clock, not a tablet and/or a small PA system. Kim yelling over everyone sucks for her and I didn't hear my name called several times anyway.

Finally, I thought scouting was at an all time high and wasn't enforced at all. I understand the play area was small but that shouldn't be an excuse.
Last edited by mr007agent on August 11th, 2015, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

rhendon
Member
Posts: 11346
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by rhendon »

mr007agent wrote: I really like having a small break for lunch even if it is only 15 minutes. I didn't get to eat all day :(
Some of these hotels should have some sort of catering option. Maybe that would be worth looking into for the players? The breakfast spreads at the very least are pretty cheap usually.

User avatar
WiseMarsellus
Member
Posts: 17443
Joined: February 26th, 2007, 9:33 am

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by WiseMarsellus »

yeah the scouting thing was definitely true. i tried following that at first but it was just me out in the hall by myself so i changed my mind
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

User avatar
stevetotheizz0
Member
Posts: 5604
Joined: January 10th, 2012, 11:43 am
Location: Philadelphia, Pa

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

mr007agent wrote:This year it seemed like a lot of people needed byes. I guess because Worlds was very early this year and less time for state events and opens or whatever but I personally don't like having an infinite amount of silly events to pass out byes until everyone has em. At the same time it is lame to show up to worlds and not get to play. I am not sure what to do about it. The feel of getting a bye into day 2 seems meaningless. Now it's just show up to worlds and you get to play. However, I absolutely HATE that there were only 3 players for constructed day 1. Maybe limit a player to only one silly qualifying event. That way more people have to play in Day 1.

I mentioned this in another thread but I think Day 1 shouldn't be limited to only players without a bye. Everyone should have the option to play a 4-6 game day 1 event with a small prize pool. Throw in byes for a % so that they all get passed down to the remaining few people who needed one. Finally, day 1 should be early in the day (noon-ish) and lead into the team event scheduled afterwards, not concurrently.


This would also leave some time for a few last minute qualifying events.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate
Posts: 15934
Joined: December 4th, 2002, 4:03 pm

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by AnakinSolo »

Tyrith wrote:Need to look at deck lists as prt of selecting feature matches. I know the DS meta didn't leave a lot of options, but it was a lot of similar games on stream for most of the day. The commentary was generally good, although it would have helped if the commentators were looking up cards as they went or had a little better knowledge of what some of the cards do. Really appreciated the updates throughout the day.
sorry, but for a non-mpc style event this is completely impossible. I did most of the deciding of feature matches, and granted I had to do this while playing the event, but as soon as pairings were made they were called, and I didn't really have any time to check anything other than their records and how many times they'd been featured - because the round had to begin. Any longer and a 12 hour event would have been a 13 hour event.
we managed to feature 7 of the 6-2s, 1 of the 7-1s, and 3 of the 5-3s.

I wish we had seen Joe Olson - especially after the year he had, but my priority was to feature players on pace to make the day 3 rather than good deck matchups.

Day 3, Reid and I collaborated to pick the matchup for round 1, and we both thought that Sokol vs Emil was the most interesting matchup after looking at decklists. But we had 15 minutes to look at the decklists, and neither of us were playing in the day. For day 2 I don't think we could have done better at that, though there are definitely other ways to improve the stream.
Well, Bye.

User avatar
JediJer
Administrator
Posts: 26017
Joined: December 3rd, 2002, 1:42 am
Location: Utah

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by JediJer »

MAVanDriel wrote:
Tyrith wrote:Need to look at deck lists as prt of selecting feature matches. I know the DS meta didn't leave a lot of options, but it was a lot of similar games on stream for most of the day. The commentary was generally good, although it would have helped if the commentators were looking up cards as they went or had a little better knowledge of what some of the cards do. Really appreciated the updates throughout the day.
sorry, but for a non-mpc style event this is completely impossible. I did most of the deciding of feature matches, and granted I had to do this while playing the event, but as soon as pairings were made they were called, and I didn't really have any time to check anything other than their records and how many times they'd been featured - because the round had to begin. Any longer and a 12 hour event would have been a 13 hour event.
we managed to feature 7 of the 6-2s, 1 of the 7-1s, and 3 of the 5-3s.

I wish we had seen Joe Olson - especially after the year he had, but my priority was to feature players on pace to make the day 3 rather than good deck matchups.

Day 3, Reid and I collaborated to pick the matchup for round 1, and we both thought that Sokol vs Emil was the most interesting matchup after looking at decklists. But we had 15 minutes to look at the decklists, and neither of us were playing in the day. For day 2 I don't think we could have done better at that, though there are definitely other ways to improve the stream.
Yeah, the only way I can think of handling this would be to have someone that isn't playing determining featured matches based on deck matchup (rather than by the players).

If I'm able to make it to worlds next year, I'll gladly dedicate myself to the task of deciding the feature matches.

User avatar
lsrubin
DS Region: Yavin 4
DS Region: Yavin 4
Posts: 2905
Joined: September 18th, 2011, 6:05 am
Location: Silver Spring, MD
GEMP Username: lsrubin

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by lsrubin »

mr007agent wrote:This year it seemed like a lot of people needed byes. I guess because Worlds was very early this year and less time for state events and opens or whatever but I personally don't like having an infinite amount of silly events to pass out byes until everyone has em. At the same time it is lame to show up to worlds and not get to play. I am not sure what to do about it. The feel of getting a bye into day 2 seems meaningless. Now it's just show up to worlds and you get to play. However, I absolutely HATE that there were only 3 players for constructed day 1. Maybe limit a player to only one silly qualifying event. That way more people have to play in Day 1. Then in Day 1 just have everyone qualify who doesn't drop and give 1st their money back or a cool promo/v card etc only for day 1 winners.
To me, it seems like the logic is "We have byes to encourage players to go to state/regional events." But then when you show up on Friday, everybody inevitably gets a bye, so the real incentive is "so you don't have to play Star Wars cards on Friday." But I love playing Star Wars cards, and that is not an incentive for me. It's the opposite.

On the other hand, the $100 travel vouchers motivated people A LOT. Regionals that otherwise may not have happened got thrown on the calendar at the last minute, because people wanted that cash money.

From my limited experience, I feel like the bye system should be scrapped entirely. We're a small enough community that there isn't really a problem with saying "Anyone who wants to play in Worlds can play in Worlds." That's the way it is in practice anyway.
☮ ♥ ⑦
arebelspy wrote:The magic was inside you all along, you just had to believe. <3
kcaton wrote:"Jesus Christ, is that Lenny!?"

Tyrith
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
Posts: 286
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 10:35 am

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by Tyrith »

lsrubin wrote:On the other hand, the $100 travel vouchers motivated people A LOT. Regionals that otherwise may not have happened got thrown on the calendar at the last minute, because people wanted that cash money.

From my limited experience, I feel like the bye system should be scrapped entirely. We're a small enough community that there isn't really a problem with saying "Anyone who wants to play in Worlds can play in Worlds." That's the way it is in practice anyway.
We were (probably) going to have some sort of a summer event in TX, but having a cash incentive that we could give Mike definitely put us over the hump for actually getting something on the schedule. It was good, too, to have all of us still playing down here in one place at one time; it's the first time that's actually happened after the reset, since we have all busy jobs and family obligations, etc.

I'd completely agree with this. People do like playing for real prizes, more for the spirit of competition than anything else; they don't like playing for something that feels stupid or unnecessary. The entire purpose of the bye system at this point is to raise money for the PC, it seems, and I think we can do that more efficiently with messing with fees to majors and the like. Also, having to travel to Worlds early is an actual cost for some people that might need byes via Day 1 as is.

User avatar
Cam Solusar
Member
Posts: 16871
Joined: November 23rd, 2002, 7:57 pm
Location: Sunny Southern California

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by Cam Solusar »

We only had one player out of the 20+ or so in SoCal make it out to Worlds; I was considering going but it was just too cost-prohibitive considering that I just bought a house. We had a total of three byes awarded from League and Regionals and only one of those was claimed. It would be nice to have some sort of alternate system in place, as I like having exclusive prizes like the AIs and foils to give out, but very rarely do our byes get used.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30931
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by imrahil327 »

Tyrith wrote: I'd completely agree with this. People do like playing for real prizes, more for the spirit of competition than anything else; they don't like playing for something that feels stupid or unnecessary. The entire purpose of the bye system at this point is to raise money for the PC, it seems, and I think we can do that more efficiently with messing with fees to majors and the like. Also, having to travel to Worlds early is an actual cost for some people that might need byes via Day 1 as is.
I am interested in hearing what these other ways of both 1) making money for the PC and 2) getting people to play SW cards on the reg, would be. I am not a fan of the bye system for the reasons stated in this thread, but do not currently have a better answer.
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

User avatar
Cam Solusar
Member
Posts: 16871
Joined: November 23rd, 2002, 7:57 pm
Location: Sunny Southern California

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by Cam Solusar »

Baleeted.
Last edited by Cam Solusar on August 11th, 2015, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

User avatar
lsrubin
DS Region: Yavin 4
DS Region: Yavin 4
Posts: 2905
Joined: September 18th, 2011, 6:05 am
Location: Silver Spring, MD
GEMP Username: lsrubin

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by lsrubin »

imrahil327 wrote:
Tyrith wrote: I'd completely agree with this. People do like playing for real prizes, more for the spirit of competition than anything else; they don't like playing for something that feels stupid or unnecessary. The entire purpose of the bye system at this point is to raise money for the PC, it seems, and I think we can do that more efficiently with messing with fees to majors and the like. Also, having to travel to Worlds early is an actual cost for some people that might need byes via Day 1 as is.
I am interested in hearing what these other ways of both 1) making money for the PC and 2) getting people to play SW cards on the reg, would be. I am not a fan of the bye system for the reasons stated in this thread, but do not currently have a better answer.
Just spitballing here, but you could say "Anyone who has played in X sanctioned events since last year's Worlds is eligible to play in Worlds this year." (Hall-of-Famers would be exempt.) Then TDs have to pay a fee to the PC to sanction an event. Then on Day 1, hold at least X sanctioned events, so anyone who hasn't gotten the chance to play SWCCG all year can just show up and play cards all day Friday. And anybody else who wants to do so is free to play too.

So you'd still have to "qualify," but you'd do so by playing on the reg, not by earning a "bye" that disqualifies you from playing on Day 1.
☮ ♥ ⑦
arebelspy wrote:The magic was inside you all along, you just had to believe. <3
kcaton wrote:"Jesus Christ, is that Lenny!?"

User avatar
JediJer
Administrator
Posts: 26017
Joined: December 3rd, 2002, 1:42 am
Location: Utah

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by JediJer »

Cam Solusar wrote:We only had one player out of the 20+ or so in SoCal make it out to Worlds; I was considering going but it was just too cost-prohibitive considering that I just bought a house. We had a total of three byes awarded from League and Regionals and only one of those was claimed. It would be nice to have some sort of alternate system in place, as I like having exclusive prizes like the AIs and foils to give out, but very rarely do our byes get used.
Likewise. We don't often have players from Utah traveling to worlds. Before the reset, I was the only player to travel and I went to Worlds without a bye, so I played in day 1 with 3 other players. It would have been nice if day 1 had been bigger and earlier in the day so that I could have also played in the team tournament (although I would have felt sorry for anyone that had me as their team mate).
Tyrith wrote:The entire purpose of the bye system at this point is to raise money for the PC, it seems, and I think we can do that more efficiently with messing with fees to majors and the like.
Increasing the entry fee can be difficult for some people who have to spend a lot of money just to travel to the event in the first place. I think if the prize packages for leagues/states/regionals had some cool, unique and exclusive prizes, it would still be worth it for people to buy the league/states/regional packages.

rhendon
Member
Posts: 11346
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Re: Instant non-card feedback!

Post by rhendon »

JediJer wrote: Likewise. We don't often have players from Utah traveling to worlds. Before the reset, I was the only player to travel and I went to Worlds without a bye, so I played in day 1 with 3 other players. It would have been nice if day 1 had been bigger and earlier in the day so that I could have also played in the team tournament (although I would have felt sorry for anyone that had me as their team mate).
When you were my teammate you beat Greg Shaw....

Post Reply

Return to “World Championship 2015 - August 6-9”