Props

Philadelphia, PA
retwin316
LS Region: Corellia

Props

Post by retwin316 »

I just wanted to say I had an amazing time at worlds, with amazing people... people who keep me coming back year after year, and I just wanted to give some shout outs.

Want to thank Scott Lingrell for keeping this game alive... I know we all say it all the time, but I don't think it can be said enough... you keep this game alive, and on at least this, I think I can speak for everyone, thank you so much, it is greatly appreciated!

Kim Caton, you as well, I want to give a huge thanks to... year after year you come and dedicate your time and effort to help make worlds great, and you also are so very much appreciated, you are awesome!

Now for my partners in crime...

Steve Brentson, where do I begin. I have known this guy since 1996, when we first met playing magic, and I thought the guy was a bit crazy. Then we broke into swccg together around A New Hope, right before Hoth came out. We played together, learned together, and got good together, and when he moved away, we kept in touch, shot ideas back and forth, and continued to dominate our respective regions for years. After all these years, I am so glad to have him back playing swccg again, and it is awesome to get to hang out with him at all of these events. One of the best guys I know, and am more than happy to call him friend. You make going to events enjoyable again.

Matt Scott, again... I have known him since 1999... although I vaguely remember this, he loves to remind me that I was the first person he ever played against in a tournament, back when he was like 15 or something, and he always tells me his favorite story, if how I asked him what he was playing before we played, and he told me, and I switched the 2 obi wans in my deck so that I could beat him... I don't remember it going down exactly like that, but I remember switching obis, so lol! We played several more times after that, and in 2001 he loves to tell me his other favorite story of me coming up to his room, and making a big deal about Dave Dalton's odor eaters, and picking them up with a fork and flinging them at people, and hiding them in the mattress, again, I vaguely remember, but lol! So in 2002, we started working together. I had several high finishes that year, and we came up with some amazing decks for worlds, and I came closer than I ever have to winning worlds that year... and if not for some extremely unfortunate luck against Angelo Consoli, I had a very good chance of winning that year. 2003 Matt was on a huge roll, and won nationals beating Clint Hays and Bastion in top 4 to do so, and then another Matt Scott story, of how I made him play dark deal instead of his senate deck, and he lost, and we fell out of touch after we both stopped playing. In 2009 we reformed the alliance. We won the team event in Texas, and he got second and me top 4 there also. I co champed Yavin right after, and then again, Matt disappeared for years, and I went on to win several more events that year with decks we had collaborated on. Then there was a reset, and after not looking at the forums for a year or more, I get on, and have a PM from... you guessed it, Matt. He helped me with decks and ideas for SoCal and the MPC, and I had very good showings, and we met up several times before worlds to prep. I could go on and on, but I feel like our alliance is one that just works, he is a dictionary of SWCCG knowledge, and has some amazing decks ideas and input. I am glad you are back playing man, and glad to call you "number one swccg friend" lol!

Reid Smith... for any of you who know Reid, you know he is a very strong and outspoken person... I love Reid to death, but it isn't always easy working together lol. I first met Reid in 2002, at FCON 2... I had never heard of him before, but apparently he was a strong supporter of Brian Hunter. I remember him and this other kid, Drew Ferguson, I think... they followed Brian Hunter around the entire time and kept saying Waryaaa, over and over... I thought he was fairly ridiculous lol. I am not sure when we started collaborating, but it was probably around 2006... one of my favorite Reid stories, and he will love everyone knowing this... is the time I had just come back into the game, and was playing some piles of cards, and we had to play at Gencon. He had stayed with me that weekend, so we were friends at that point... so we played, him LSC and me Huntdown... and of course he was overconfident in the match, and long story short, her just got completely crushed, and was a bit upset, and stormed off. The next round starts, and no Reid Smith... so I call him, and he is like "I got kicked out of Gencon, and I am going to see a movie" I am like wtf!? Anywho, so that is one of my favorite Reid Smith stories, the time he got thrown out of Gencon for being belligerent. All that said... and the fact that as an alliance we really don't work as a team sometimes, because we are both so strongly opinionated... that still doesn't mean he isn't one of my absolute favorite people I have met over the years, and I am also happy to call friend.

Mike Kessling, man... bro, you are one of my absolute favorite people I have met over the years. We haven't really teamed up for decks, but that doesn't mean you are any less my favorite. I don't think we really hung out much until around 2002 and 2003 when I was coming to Atlanta much more often, but we kept in contact throughout the years, and had an amazing time at my first MPC, where apparently I allowed you to talk me into using flagship ops on day 2, lmfao! And you have had my surprise butt sex dvdlots held hostage for like 7 years, talk about rude! I was so sure at worlds this year I was going to play you game one, like in 2008 when you smashed me... your bhbm vs my luke effect lol! I wish I had some more amazing stories, but we have lots of time still, and a regional weekend swap coming up next summer, I can't wait!

I could literally go on and on from here, about almost every single person I have met throughout the years, but I am not sure if anyone wants to hear all that... but I am not done giving shout outs, and if anyone requests it, I will go into great detail about all my memories of you as well, cause I do love all of my extended/SWCCG family!

Justin Desai, you play on a level that most of us will never know, and some people might never truly understand. Your ability to analyze matchups and make in game adjustments is something no one can ever live up to. You are an amazing player, and I am just happy to have a record of 2-100 against you, because you are a very hard person to beat. Congrats on winning worlds man, I hope you can make it next year also, because it wouldn't be the same without you.

Johnny Chu, what I said ab out Justin is just the same for you... you play on another level, and I have known this for years... it only took me like 10 years to finally beat you in a game, and I fully understand why. You are amazing man, and I can't wait to see you at the MPC and Worlds again... hopefully in different brackets this year!

Jan Westergard... you all know Jan... this is probably the chillest and most awesome player there is. He never loses his cool, he is always smiling, and he is an incredible player... I had the unfortunate task of having to play Jan last game of day 2, when one of us was going to bounce the other... and even worse, I had to face his tto deck, after already losing that match to Emil... I knew I was in an uphill battle, and in the end, I just couldn't pull it out, and was bounced from day 3... I was more dejected than I have ever been in my SWCCG career... I played amazing all day, I made no mistakes, I played brilliantly... but I just couldn't overcome the multiple tto matchups... I couldn't believe my year had ended like that, I was so confident I was going to make day 3... it felt like crap... but I was still happy for Jan... and then when we were all going out to dinner, I saw Jan walk outside to wait, and decided to follow him out... and then he asks me if I knew the Macho Man had a music career, and I was like no? And he is like yeah, he did, and he would always be like ooooohhhhhh yeah, and he said it in a Macho Man voice, and then he was like, well, it wasn't really a music career, he was just singing mostly about making fun of Hulk Hogan, and he had me laughing my ass off... and as upset as I was, that literally changed my entire mood around, and I instantly felt better... I gave it my all this year, I was on top of my game, I was prepared... but sometimes, you just don't catch the breaks, and face very strong players with very strong matchups. Jan, you are amazing, and one of the people I look forward to seeing most at these events. Thanks for the cheer up man, and congrats on your performance!

Tom Haid... we didn't exactly start out on the greatest first impression, and people always say first impressions means everything... but I am starting to see that that is crap. For anyone who hasn't read my MPC TR, Tom and I played in the team event. He was playing a carbon freezing deck, and I was a little lusty on the mechanics, and asked him how much he had showing on table towards adding to carbon freezing. He told me just 2 for controlling the cabonite chamber, so I used my nabrun to attack a different site. Then on his control phase, he uses freezing, and remembers the plus 2 from the console, and I am like wtf, you didn't tell me that added, and you remember now? He said he didn't think about it until then, and at the time I was pretty upset, but in the end I gave him the benefit of the doubt. So fast forward to worlds, and we didn't really talk a whole lot, I don't think it was because of any bad blood, just busy... but on Sunday, I went with Tom, Lenny, Kessling, and Barry to a place to eat, even though I wasn't going to eat. I said I wouldn't mind getting some cheesecake, but the place didn't have any, and that a$$hole Kessling refused to let me stop anywhere lol! So as we are walking, Tom asks me what my favorite kind is, and I tell him red velvet. When we get back to the hotel, he says he has to call his wife, and stays in the lobby. I get up to the room and go order some nasty cheesecake in the bar, and when I come back in and tell Kessling, he is like dude, don't order any, go cancel it, and I am like why, and he says that Tom walked to the cheesecake factory to get me a red velvet cheesecake... I was like wow, I had no idea... well, Tom, first impressions don't really mean crap in this case, because I am very touched by what you did. You are an awesome guy, even if you did try and kiss me when I tried to hug you after you got back, jk lmao! Thanks, Tom, one of the nicer things anyone has ever done for me, look forward to seeing you in the future... I owe you a piece of cheesecake!

I am sorry for lumping everyone else together here, but you all know how much I love each and every one of you, and how much fun I have spending with you at these events... if you want me to type up a history of our friendship also, I would be more than happy to... but without further adieu...

Joe Olson, Phil Aasen, Kyle Krueger... you guys are awesome, and I love getting to hang out with you and *. Maybe next year for worlds we will have to form the super alliance! Joe, you had an amazing run this year, and at times I might have underestimated you... I know better now, you are a top notch player, well done this year sir. Kyle... play decks you know... no more mkos and ebo :P. Phil, show up for more events!!!

Harpster and Wirfs, I know you guys are part of the same group, but I felt you needed a separate entry. Harpster, you almsot tore my arm off and made shoulder hurt for like a month last time we arm wrestled... I know better with that just like I know better than to underestimate Joe again. Probably never be able to beat you at arm wrestling, but I can destroy Wirfs haha, just messing man! :) You guys are two of my favorites, easily, and it is always a pleasure. Wirfs, your WYS from SoCal gave me ideas for my worlds list, wys biggest problem is activation... you opened my eyes to a whole new way to play step!

Michael Richards, you are my boy, and I love seeing you at events... I was really bummed there was no Texas event last year, and I am already looking forward to this year. We need a huge poker game while we are there! Next year is our year man, top 3 for us both!

Chris, Emil, and Angelo... you guys are amazing. You fly here for worlds every year, and you always bring your best game, and always are right at the top. Chris, thanks so much for the foils you made and provided for worlds, those are some of the awesomest prizes I have ever received, thank you so much. Emil, it is a pleasure to play with you... you are an extremely good player, and no matter what anyone says, it is no fluke you are a two time world champion. You have mace day 3 both times you came here as well, and won day 1 as well. Part of the funnest time I had this weekend was sitting side by side with you Sunday, and just signing cards for like 3 hours... that was so fun. Angelo... I could never ever forget you... you are responsible for one of two bad beat stories I have ever had in SWCCG history... I might never come closer to winning worlds than I did in 2002... but sometimes all hell breaks loose, and next thing you know, its over. The second biggest bad beat story I ever had, was provided this weekend... by Emil... I don't know what it is with you guys... but no one can ever underestimate you guys, top notch players and top notch people.

Team Albany... Sokol, Twigg x 2, Kingery, Jigga, Mike... you guys are one of the greatest teams in history, and year after year there is always at least one of you in top 3, which says a ton. Sokol, congrats on the performance this weekend man... I know a lot of people still underestimate you and try and act like you weren't a deserving champion... well forget all of them, because you make day 3 almost every year... people should know better. I cant wait till we all meet up in Vegas to watch Kingery do ninja warrior! That is gonna be amazing!

Barry Alperstein, Greg Shaw, Stephen Kim, John (Adrian Peterson Jersey) Anderson, Taco Bill, Chris Gogolen, Josh Mack, and Mitch Nieland... we didn't get a chance to hang out a whole lot, but you are all guys I love seeing every time I come to events, and I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

I have rambled a lot... I bet lots of people won't even read it, but I just felt like saying something. SWCCG is the best game I have ever played, and has the greatest player base and some of the most amazing people I have ever met. This years worlds had an incredible field, easily one of the best I remember seeing in years. Congratulations again to Justin, and a big congratulations to all of you who come year in and year out and make these weekends so fun and memorable. You are all amazing!

arebelspy

Re: Props

Post by arebelspy »

Thanks BFred. Reading that and reminiscing about all the people on your list, and others not listed, got me all nostalgic.

You're awesome, we love you right back.

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

Best community evar.

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

our feud isn't over Bfred even if you are getting mushy :)

I won't be in TX, but I am gonna see if I can find a way for SD to happen and we can write the next chapter.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

gogolen wrote:our feud isn't over Bfred even if you are getting mushy :)

I won't be in TX, but I am gonna see if I can find a way for SD to happen and we can write the next chapter.
I look forward to it sir!

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

Would anyone be interested in a TR? I know I scrubbed out and all, but I would be willing to do one if people want one.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

I'd deff like to read it.

Funny-- nationals 2003 wasn't at origins? I always thought the dpc at origins was nationals, I guess I'm not the 2003 national champion. :??

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

retwin316 wrote:Would anyone be interested in a TR? I know I scrubbed out and all, but I would be willing to do one if people want one.
Hell yes.

MrPurple

Post by MrPurple »

retwin316 wrote:
Team Albany... Sokol, Twigg x 2, Kingery, Jigga, Mike... you guys are one of the greatest teams in history, and year after year there is always at least one of you in top 3, which says a ton. Sokol, congrats on the performance this weekend man... I know a lot of people still underestimate you and try and act like you weren't a deserving champion... well forget all of them, because you make day 3 almost every year... people should know better. I cant wait till we all meet up in Vegas to watch Kingery do ninja warrior! That is gonna be amazing!
Thanks a ton for the kind words, Fred. It means a lot. Props back at you! See you at the MPC, brother!!
Matt Sokol

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

What is this about Vegas and Ninja Warrior? This sounds great!
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

brian fred writing a lot about catching up with old friends and stuff...

here is one more that wanted to say hi:

V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

SolaGratia

Post by SolaGratia »

Would love a TR, really enjoyed your MPC one.

I have only met you in passing at the SDGP but you're a real asset to the community.

Funny I used to play back in the day about 2 hours from you in Bloomington IL but don't believe our paths every crossed.

#respect

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

allstarz97 wrote:I'd deff like to read it.

Funny-- nationals 2003 wasn't at origins? I always thought the dpc at origins was nationals, I guess I'm not the 2003 national champion. :??
Nationals was at Gencon in 2003... not sure what Origins was? Will do a TR, but it will probably be next Tuesday. Work next 6 days then have to do assignments for school on my first day off... how exciting!

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

Thanks, you're welcome, and I look forward to hanging out in the future. Very cool of you to write this up, I'm sure all these people really appreciate it =]
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

retwin316 wrote:
allstarz97 wrote:I'd deff like to read it.

Nationals was at Gencon in 2003... not sure what Origins was? Will do a TR, but it will probably be next Tuesday. Work next 6 days then have to do assignments for school on my first day off... how exciting!

Sure gen con wasn't continentals?

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

Weren't nationals and continentals the same thing, they just changed the name?

I am not even sure.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

retwin316 wrote:Would anyone be interested in a TR? I know I scrubbed out and all, but I would be willing to do one if people want one.
Hell yes?

Also looking forward to meeting you at TMW.

Remaker

Post by Remaker »

I look forward to dropping a dooker in your toilet at a future event... it gave me lots of time to contemplate the many deck options for day 2.
darkjediknight11 wrote:remaker's probably right...

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

retwin316 wrote:Weren't nationals and continentals the same thing, they just changed the name?

I am not even sure.
No, nationals was always at Origins, and Continentals at Gen Con.

gogolen
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

allstarz97 wrote:
retwin316 wrote:Weren't nationals and continentals the same thing, they just changed the name?

I am not even sure.
No, nationals was always at Origins, and Continentals at Gen Con.
Didn't you win both events anyway on your undefeated streak?

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

Return to “World Championship 2015 - August 6-9”