tom tr

Philadelphia, PA
WiseMarsellus

tom tr

Post by WiseMarsellus »

justin desai indicated that he thinks it ridiculous when people capitalize entire words in a sentence. i neglected to mention that i often do this for emphasis. out of respect for the champ, i will denote emphasis by capitalizing the first letter of a word.

my trip to worlds was mostly uneventful. early on i asked steve skillton if i could stay with him and he generously agreed to let me do so. steve asked me the day before worlds how i was getting to philly and i told him i don't know yet. this was technically true. if greg shaw was driving i would catch a ride with him, if not, train.

turns out greg shaw was driving but i couldn't get to new york in time to take advantage of that fact. this was partially due to the fact that in the middle of harlem the bus driver stopped at a red light, got up, went to the back of the room, and used the bathroom. the light turned green. the light turned red. the light turned green. the bus sat there. the bus driver came back. the light turned red again.

got to philly eventually. hang out with some squirrelers. joe olson arrives. he is tech savvy and orders us an uber to go to the barcade and meet up with the swccg crew already there. but en route i step out of the elevator and immediately see mark walseth! sup mark? want to come to the barcade? he's with a bunch of his former students and they all want to come, plus mark has a car.

charlie and mitch don't * around. they apparently get up to the room and take out a craft beer each. mark tells them dudes if you open those there's no way we're getting to the barcade. challenge accepted. craft beers shotgunned. joe and i think this is kind of nuts, as does mark. i wonder if this means we are getting old. i'm almost 30. *.

we get to the barcade. i order a cherry stout. steve comes and we chat for a while. i order a cherry stout again because the first one never came. bartender cards me again. come on lady. the cherry in the stout is way too strong, so i try to get the beer that the minnesota guys are drinking on my next go. i fail, and my new beer sucks harder. my general rule of the darker the beer the more i will like it failed me thursday.

we have some good conversation, a good argument about active judging, and head back to steve's place to spend the night. steve has a really cool place. he's got a pencil-drawn (i think?) landcape thing i really like, as well as some crayon drawings of monsters. i'm usually a bare walls person and i've never voluntarily decorated my own room. i usually don't appreciate decoration in others, but steve really pulled it off.

emil joe maven and i are in the back room. emil is on the mattress, i'm on the couch, maven and joe are on the floor. the couch is too short for me, i switch with maven. i don't know how much or if i slept that night. i didn't discover the optimal blanket-comfort strategy until late that night. i was having completely illogical thoughts so that's a good sign i was asleep at least part of the night. anyway i wake up (or do i?) around 7 as i always do no matter when i go to bed.

joe maven and i have a good conversation about rawls and fuedalism. maven leaves for work, joe and i leave to meet up with people, get breakfast from some partially amish people including the youngest kid either kyle or i have ever seen working. i've never seen an eight-year-old rock suspenders quite so hard, and he was quite professional about taking my order.

breakfast cube

four people need byes. two are available. i am drafting light side. all around me people are orgasming over their decks. i think my deck sucks. i can't tell if i drafted badly, got bad cards, or don't know what the power level of the cube is. i end up going with a space-ish light deck starting get to your ships, wokling, rendezvous point and a bunch of ships, including two matching.

game 1 vs chris wirfs

we both have a lot of space cards and go back and forth in space. he has the laser cannon battery on something, and so can chase me around a bit in space. we go back and forth on his one ground site, my obi+saber+clash holds the jundland wastes for a bit but eventually dies. i go there with general airen cracken because i think his text lets him draw if not able to otherwise, but he adds destiny. and i need destiny 6 to draw there, so thrawn kills him without dying. the drain race is very close but it looks like he's going to win it. i try to figure out how to shuttle down 6 ability worth of characters with my remaining four life force but it just can't be done. eventually i battle his ship and hope to get lucky. turns out he didn't have 4 ability there so when his shot misses my ship survives and i actually am ahead in the drain race and win by 1.

game 2 vs charlie (i think? i'm not 100% sure who my opponent was this game)

i have space. he has ground. we go to our respective theaters early. he has search and destroy and sabers so is winning the damage race. i put out the obi and saber combo to stay alive for a bit on the ground, he manages to do so and i claw back into the race. i'm going to win it, except the fact that apparently limited resources is in the cube and blows me out. loss by 2.

game 3 vs mitch nieland

i don't remember much about this game except that he crushes me. he 12 card hands and gets two twixes and kills my space guys and idk what else in a loss by 20.

so i think it's a safe assumption that i did not earn the bye in this event. and i'm not exactly chomping at the bit to play more cube. so i prepare for day 1. and that's when i remember i didn't get my decks from maven, who built them for me. thanks again mark! but the generosity of swccg players knows no bounds. ryan jellison gets me half-way to the entanglements i wanted and gives me an entire whap. jarad konsker helps me the rest of the way. these two collaborate on this despite not realizing who each other are, something i was unaware of at the time. ryan boasts about his memory and says that he knows all 33 cards he lent me. i call his bluff. he needs only minimal help to get it, so we are both duly impressed. well, i was, can't speak for jarad.

then i help jarad with a hearthstone draft. his options are warlock, priest, and warrior. i tell him to pick warlock because the other two are bad, warrior is the worst class of all. he's like which one is the worst? i say warrior. warlock? no, not warlock, warrior. he picks warrior. i'm like wtf i Just told you it was the worst class. bah whatever. we do get four fiery war axes though, the draft is looking not so bad. i enlist ryan jellison's help and the three of us manage to take down a paladin despite jarad's ineptitude with touch screens. after ryan leaves jarad asks who that is and i tell him, and he's like oh that's sac!? jarad later tells me the deck sucks because he lost the next two games. jarad, it's not the deck that sucked.

i find out i somehow got the bye. i guess winning one game by one was enough. so now i can play in the team tournament. i text matt harrison-trainor. mht and i had done most of our testing together. and by that i mean two weeks before the event we played like ten games. we also built decks together. and by that i mean mht showed me his decks and i copied them, and maybe suggested a few changes. i was responsible for quite a few ie changes though so i can justifiably be a bit proud of how that deck turned out. anyway, mht first aks if this is tom and then says yes so we have a team.

i get my first cheesesteak of the trip. this cheesesteak ended up being the best cheesesteak of the weekend (out of two). it was from the store at the far edge of reading terminal market. i recommend that place for cheesesteaks. jarad and chris got chinese from some place obama recommended.

i play some smash-up. i take over for steve who was playing bears and magicians. i do some cool things but can't stop kim's zombies. i play again, this time with zombie dinosaurs. i take an early lead, and come super close to winning. i can bring 9 power to bear at any one location to break a base, but two turns in a row i need 10 power to do it. unfortunately the team tournament has to start before we can finish the game but i'm certain i would have won it.

team tournament

mht comes up with the brilliant team name of tom and mht. i would have gone with Totally Not Our Day 2 Decks, but failed to communicate this to him in a timely manner. oh well. i play entanglements and he plays qmc.

match 1 vs kyle krueger and phil aasen

i play kyle, who is playing tigih. starting colo claw fish. alarm bells. he is trying to exhaust my shield pulls. usually when someone does that they want to abuse one of the more broken shielded mechanics. i expect he either wants to frozen assets me or insert me. i openhand barrier which is great in this match. it lets me go to docking bays with scrubs with impunity. i think i go for the three docking bay opening, yielding a massive +6 from mob points turn two. i have cut off his activation, so he just moves luke over and surrenders to ozzel. ozzel in turn transits over to tatooine, where he hands luke off to vader, who shuttles up to the devastator. i believe i also flipped with blizz 4 and gmtv. i play in a holding pattern for a few turns where i do drain and occupation damage and build up my board, and he kind of weakly attacks it.

until he plays falcon and captain han against my devastator. i barrier. he senses. 3. he senses. 3. he senses. 3. he sighs. he had chewie enraged and life debt, and i had used my last force on that barrier and he has draw their fire. he thinks he would have won had he sensed. it is not true, as you will find out shortly. because the next turn i battle offensively, he reacts by playing life debt and i use turn it off! to barrier chewie. the falcon goes lost and so do kyle's chances in the game. mht also defeats phil and we move on to the next round.

match 2 vs the westergard family.

i play against chris, who is playing qmc. this game gets decided early. turn 1 i put motti and piett on the devastator using we're in attack position now, ozzel to exec db. his turn 1 he attacks me at tatooine with blue squadron 5 starring ten nunb. he has a concussion missiles and an intruder missile. fortunately i have a cease fire! so the end result of the battle is he loses his bwing and 8, and devastator stays. from there i just set up my damage and he can't mess with it, cruising to a pretty big win.

which turns out to be a good thing as mht barely squeaks out a timed win by enough differential to send us on to the next round. he was playing qmc vs jan's non-bhbm emperor's power deck. i see executor and thrawn at bespin but no tmnaltc. turns out jan just paid 20 to deploy executor thrawn and battle. hardcore.

match 3 vs ze emperors.

i play chris menzel's whap, mht plays scott lingrell's kashyyk deck. i start iao decree v and justice v. we get off to fairly normal starts. he manages to take a site with mace and qui-gon and sabers. we go back and forth around tatooine. at one point he gets caldera righim to the desert in front of emperor and a biker scouted tempest scout 1. for some reason i don't have the force to move that away so caldera stays another turn. he demotes veers and battles him. and i forget to react! not only would that have helped in the veers battle it would have freed emperor up to battle caldera. i exclaim at my idiocy and mht asks if he needs to win by a lot and i respond that he should win, don't know if it needs to be by a lot. at any rate, we go back and forth, me taking cards off justice to stop him canceling my destinies, and i whittle down his tatooine invasion force.

we're coming close to time and i know i should be playing faster. the game is turning in my direction but he is ahead in life force. the more turns that happen the more likely i win on time; i certainly win if the game plays out. but chris has no such incentive or obligation, he wants to be careful to maximize his value. with that i mind, i probably played a little too slowly at the end: i did 8 damage on my last turn to his 2. time is called and he has about 8 more life force than i, luckily mht has it by like 11.

so we advance to the team tourney finals. this is not a new position for me. before talking about the finals i want to go over my history with the worlds team tournament. the first worlds i went to was chicago 2007. i went with one of my college roommates, mark. he had casually played swccg in high school and i taught him the game in college. he wasn't especially good but he is a smart guy and so wasn't especially bad either. we weren't a team of contenders though when we paired up for the event, and didn't make the finals. our massachusetts compatriots justin desai and mike gemme did. they won the event, and with it the first ever swccg mugs.

after day 2 in 2007, mike gemme, justin and i all qualified for day 3. mark drove us and jonny chu, eventual world champion, to get some dinner. while there mike gemme requested that his beer be poured into his mug, which he had to go get from the car. the waitress was visibly annoyed. he brings the mug back. it says star wars on it, she freaks out. she is such a nerd, she loves star wars, etc. how did he get this mug. he tells her and she Melts. now those of you who know mike gemme know he is an unusually attractive and charming individual. but he did Nothing, and she was All Over Him. so was another hot waitress who hot waitress #1 i think brought out for the express purpose of looking at mike gemme. but anyway, it was at that point i decided i wanted to win one of those mugs.

the next year, 2008 team tournament. i pair up with brian hunter, we go undefeated on our way to a final confrontation with the reigning team world champs KToD. i play wys, he plays watto. i face mike gemme's bhbm. things are going really well in both our games. i am dominating my board, hunter is dominating his. there's only one problem. i have two cards stacked on insignificant rebellion and mike gemme has a 7 stuck somewhere in his deck. he loses the duel. he shuffles. he has forgotten the 7 is even in his deck. i haven't. i'm saying don't draw the 7 don't draw the 7. he draws the 7. i offer him my hand, heart sinking. he thinks i'm giving him a high five. no mike that wasn't it. justin is in his draw phase. he asks hunter for a count. it's less than what mike won by. justin draws up, and just like that the team tournament dream is crushed for the first time.

2009 i don't go to worlds, but 2010 i do. this time i pair up with mike pistone, and once again make the team tournament finals. this time against team albany. i play wysv against team albany (chris twigg) eops with atst guns. those atst guns really messed with me on the ground, and i think i had difficulty holding onto space as well. iirc mike beat matt sokol, but not by enough to overcome my loss to chris twigg and we lose out on the mugs again.

i miss the next two worlds, and the next one i make it to is 2013 in boston. now i team up with fellow californian ryan jellison. i am exhausted as i had just flown across the country earlier that day, am jetlagged, and haven't gotten nearly enough sleep. but we manage to make the finals where we face off against team texas, mike richards and nick reisch. i play rops against nick's hyperdrive, which is normally a great match for me. but things don't go well for reasons i can't remember. i still win i think, but i don't dominate like i feel i should have. so something like the following happens. ryan loses by 11. i am winning by 11. but they have us on lost piles. i need to win by just one more. i spend like ten minutes trying to figure out how to do that and fail. nick scoops and we narrowly miss the mugs yet again. the next day i realize i had something special planned for him out and a ship in my lost pile, i could have just retrieved with that and we would have been victorious. not good.

next year, canada worlds, i pair up with keith brown and miss the team tourney finals for the first time since that original team tourney. and that brings us to:

team tourney finals 2015

we are facing off against the team of euro world champs. angelo is playing hunt down and i am playing emil who brings hidden base. i see inconsequential weapons and sigh inwardly. though i am 2-0 with entanglements against hidden base weapons decks i am still pretty sure it is our worst matchup. and my hand doesn't help things.

see, our theory for the match was to go down as hard and fast as possible to tatooine with an early occupation. really put the pressure on before they are ready to interact and hopefully make them peel important cards and try to keep the starships alive in space while churning out as much damage as possible on the ground. my hand of emperor, mara, 2x we're in attack position now, cease fire, and 2 other non-characters was not exactly conducive to such a strategy. cease fire was the only card in hand i actually wanted, but then again cease fire is the most important card in the match so i can't complain too much.

i use my endor shield pulls to pull ozzel and motti. they both go to tatooine sites so as to turn on the damage as much as possible. next turn emperor and mara join them for about 6 more force than i would have liked to spend to accomplish that task. i think i get one guy to the executor as well, and i can't shake him for another. he attacks the devastator with bwings (not acclamators like i was expecting) but i cease fire, which he grabs. devastator runs away.

i don't remember the exact progression of what happened when from here on out. i get executor out at one point, confident he can't hit it. but he doesn't need to hit my ships, he has high destinies and slight weapons malfunction to repeatedly add one. and i haven't found my commands. i close call devastator to keep it alive but he does kill it with battle destiny at one point. i something special it back, take it into hand with my objective, and bring it back to tatooine along with occupation. one turn i initiate a battle with my executor thrawn and piett against his (what looks like) nothing, but he pulls a weapon from reserve and adds a battle destiny when firing, drawing a 7 and a 6 to kill both my guys, making executor run away. fortunately when he attacks the executor he only saves one card in reserve and i close call it used, meaning he has to lose that obi in ship.

hcf chases devastator around a little but i get a couple turns of occupation in off two separate occupations, and between that and the drains (though he stopped quite a few with projections, boushh, and his objective before i probed his hidden base) i take a win by like 14 i think. mht looks like he is doing well too. he is going back and forth with angelo, qmc vs hd style. angelo drops down to the single digits and offers the hand, and we've won! i am so pumped to finally have the mugs, i want to drink something out of it right away but i still need to finish building decks so i hold off.

we go to a burger place. i get a water and try to use the machine but it's broken and everyone is laughing at me. stephen kim goes up and presses the water button but that's exactly what i did and it didn't work for me. no one believes me but i'm telling you the machine didn't work the first time around.

i get most of the cards i need that night, lacking only a free ride combo and shields. good enough. sleep time, and emil is staying with his fellow euros in the hotel that night so i shotty the air mattress. cal talks to steve and looks like he is staying with us as well, which is nice because he turns out to be a super cool guy.

in the morning i'm making a post about what i need to borrow. a free ride combo and defensive shields. i ask around. cal needs to borrow a light side deck and defensive shields. ah, the rare moment where i am not the least prepared person at an event. he's got the cpi deck for dark side. i tell him i like you but i hope you run into nothing but rtp today. that deck needs to be shielded again asap.

i do some running around before the event collecting all the last minute cards i needed. i definitely do not get all the defensive shields i wanted; i discovered halfway through the event i had no firepower shield, and i had two wise advice in my ls list and wanted to play zero. not sure what i was missing from light shields. this hopefully will soon be a problem of the past, for reasons i will reveal later in the report. i feel really strange when writing my decklists, specifically the name part. i can't just write tom because i'm not the only tom. and my name isn't tom hollingworth. i'm tom kelly btw, and it's really awkward writing that name, so i've decided i'm not going to do that anymore.

day two

game 1: qmc vs mike d'amboise's tdigwatt

so mht talked about this match a decent amount. we never actually played it though. he was of the opinion that qmc didn't need landing claw and i was of the opinion that mht is better at swccg than i am. the idea was to focus on the ground at first and then fight in space. my mpc deck played landing claw and crushed this matchup, but my mpc deck also had much less space than this version of qmc. if we didn't need landing claw, which was only really good in this one match, so much the better.

that was in theory. in actuality he gets turn 1 executor piett thrawn. he sets up the 2/2 site next, while i struggle to get ground going. turn 3 i topdeck the north corridor, which is a complete disaster. i spend a few turns getting space together by landing starships and moving the characters away. i finally get soemthing decent going and fly up with han in the falcon, corran and dash in the outrider, and wedge in rogue squadron 1. he, however, has the emperor's reach, a few other pilots, and imperial command. i get slaughtered in space and scoop.

i fervently wish i had tested this once before worlds, because i would have added landing claw to my deck had that happened. but i talk this over with mht after the match and in that conversation i realize a couple mistakes i made that i can correct if this happens again. chief of which is that it's probably best to start the north corridor against tdigwatt, because topdecking it is such a disaster.

0-1

game 2: ie vs caldred's whap

this game went so smoothly for me. we both set up our things, but i had imperial decree v to stop his thing from being better than my thing. he dropped down to attack me once or twice but it was of no consequence to me. i win easily.

1-1

game 3: ie vs angelo's combat.

he starts ansbv and squadron assignments. he pulls nar shaddaa with ansbv but does't drop anything with ability. he says later he was worried about flagship executor, and wanted to be able to contest my stuff. he does end up going to the ground, but with like leia and luke in his ship. i battle, he blast the door kids as db 94 is partially interior. he messes around a little more but doesn't make a dent in my setup as i chase him away from the db to the desert. i drop a bunch of guys and battle leia at the desert, he tries to dodge but unfortunately leia can't escape the desert with her one landspeed and he offers the handshake.

2-1

game 4: qmc vs jarad konsker's eops

this game starts auspiciously. he activated endor shield so i get off to a quick start, including a turn 1 flip which might be a tad premature. he attacks my overseer with black 2, i draw high he draws low so he has to peel like 5 to keep it on table. i debate my turn 2 play and go with luke to fondor, pucimir to the db, and 2x barrier in hand to protect him from the epp maul i'm expecting. unfortunately i can only save 3 force but i am posed to do a lot of damage and move away from his barriered guys. but. he attacks pucimir first with p59. i let that go because i'm afraid if i barrier he will grab and drop maul. he then plays blizzard 4. which i can't barrier. i am as upset with myself as i am at any point in the event. playing pucimir that turn, especially with no path or path opportunity, was just not smart. the risk was not worth the reward and i pay for it by losing pucimir and 12, in addition to the 2 from p59. i think for a while and decide the best play now is to scoop and try to get this out of my mind and run the table from here on out.

2-2

game 5: ie vs drew p's tigih

he starts a 12 card hand. against tigih 12 card we discovered that if you don't pull your own site and put someone at the landing platform they only activate 4 force turn 1. that's not enough to deploy anything and battle. i didn't have the barrier, but didn't need it. went with ozzel to endor db, biker to exec. he activates 4 and just moves luke over. my turn i get vader out, he shuttles up after seizing control of luke. mara and somebody help me flip, with a crew of scrubs at one db. he attacks a few times, and is even able to clear me off the ground with mace after sensing my cease fire.

but i'm still completely in control. the issue is all of my cards are threats to do more damage, and his are not. also i win a couple battles where he has to peel a bunch. and the final decisive battle is veers in the walker with the barich combo. he draws a 6 but it doesn't matter because i subtract 5 from it. that walker is invincible and represents 4 damage a turn. i just keep it at that and win.

3-2

game 6: qmc vs reid smith's sycfa

at this point in the day i'm dreading playing light again. i feel like i can't possibly lose with dark, can't possibly win with light. he goes to space early, i go to ground. i think this is how mht told me to play the matchup. i get pucimir out and a couple sites, start draining 2 per. including one turn where i was on the 0 side, which i realized later was cheating.

so i flip, hoping to land harc seff after so i can get good activation going. but he barriers and battles back so i burn my houjix. from there he drains in space for free while i spend 6 to do my drains. i'm draining 4 to his 2, but he's progressing the board more than me. he sends a couple attacks my way and i mostly fend them off. the arica is more of an issue. as is the second system he goes to after i topdeck a few space cards. in the end i don't have the resources to compete and i scoop it up. i feel like this is a match that could have gone either way but he just outplayed me and knocked me out of contention.

3-3

game 7: qmc vs chris twigg's tdigwatt

i play this game like i should have played the first one. start the north corridor. get there early. flip and land a ship. he needs to focus on his ground because with my north corridor stuff going on i'm currently outdamaging him from my interior ground drains. as he's setting up the ground i'm setting up my hand for space.

i activate all but one card. check my destiny. it's a 3. that's enough! he has executor with chiraneau and darth vader v aboard. i pull a few maneuvers from force. i play falcon with captain han and chewie aboard. i play azure angel with anakin. battle for free. a few maneuvers on the falcon. maneuver 10. destiny draws. i play all wings report in targeting the falcon and draw a 3, which anakin adds 1 to. he has only 13 forfeit and i have 14 in destiny. he can't subtract from my destiny with vader because i have chewie v. he can't sense my interrupts because azure angel would just cancel the sense. he tanks for a long time but eventually forfeits the executor. his next turn he plays conquest and shuttles everyone up, but i deal with them too and he scoops.

4-3

game 8: ie vs jake nelson's combat

i go again for the double docking bay mob points turn 1. with some backup for devastator. that turn 1 bg play has to be emperor, who won't be draining this game, but i don't really care about that. his turn 1 i think he just draws, and then i set up more. his turn 2 he goes with luke in r2inr5 to nar shaddaa. i openhanded flagship executor so he didn't get to see me pull it and didn't realize i played it.

which is why it comes as a surprise to him when i drop that, godhert, motti, ds615 and battle. he peels 12 to keep luke on the table. he comes back with wedge, but i justice and keep on beating up. he loses a ton of force to battles at nar shaddaa, which makes up for the fact that i can't find occupation to save my life. he's got drains going now at the two combat sites and might actually be outdamaging me but i'm off to such a huge lead and finally find a couple occupations, and kill enough of his space that the battles get even worse for him and i take the game.

5-3

between rounds stuff in no particular order

we notice that a lot of seattle players are rocking seahawks jerseys. justin desai comes up with a plan to ask one of them to pass something to another, at which point one of us would but in and grab it then yell at them for passing. Why Didn't You Run It? sadly we never actually pull it off but we came close a couple times.

kyle tells me a story about a week in vegas. i don't understand how so much crazy stuff happens to one person.

i get a burger and a beer from the bar after my third loss. the burger is $15. when i tell mht about this he asks if the burger was worth $15. i dispute the allegation that there exists such a thing as a burger worth $15. maybe he was thinking in canadian money.

ryan jellison asks me who jarad konsker is. i was like haha you guys talked to each other for like half an hour and neither knew who the other was. it made me realize though, even outgoing guys like ryan jellison who are traveling to big events for the first or second time likely don't know who half these people are, which by now i take for granted. so everyone, introduce yourself to someone you don't recognize, they are probably worth knowing! they did finally meet up while knowing each other's identity, so there's a happy ending here.

emil, chris menzel, and scott lingrell were all inducted into the hall of fame. all very worthwhile inductees. scott got a standing ovation, well deserved, he is The Man for swccg and none of us would be at any of these things if not for the massive amounts of time, effort, and even his own money that he has put into this game. scott, from the bottom of my heart thank you for all that you do to keep me and the rest of us having fun year after year.

chris menzel gave out leader cards in foil versions to day 2 participants. i got a green leader in green 1 foil. after a round or two jan asked if i wanted to trade mine but there wasn't really anything i needed. whereupon he offered me a set of shields for it and i thought that was an incredible deal so i took it. i am so happy about this because often i'm able to borrow decks from people but getting shields at the last minute is always an incredible hassle and i almost never end up playing the shields i want to in my decks. i felt bad about how lopsided the trade was and offered him a second foil i got for my game against chris menzel and he accepted. i think both of us walked away from that trade happy.

speaking of my collection, i also got a battle plan and a resistance from maven, the champion of swccg prisoners. maven jumped on board the winning strategy early and then switched at a shrewd time, and built up support for the final push in a well-played effort to take home that title, and he rewarded those who stood by him with a pair of customized swccg cards. a classy move, and as of now my collection consists of two cards. jan you don't have to send me those two.

after day 2 i talk to mht a bit about decks and choices for day 3. after that we go back to the burger place this time i get a beer, no confusion there. the highlight of the dinner is jan declaring that the reason he made lieutenant tanbris the matching pilot is so he could get one more maneuver on black 6. devious.

we play some resistance and chat for a while, but i end up feeling tired and go to bed early. thanks to steve for letting me go to his place and like leave the door open for them. his neighbors must be cool.

before day 3 i wake up early, try to get breakfast at reading terminal market but it isn't open yet. play some hearthstone while i wait for others to show up to the game room. mht does, tells me about his decks, and announces he is going swimming. i do not question this. people ask me where mht is and i say swimming. they have questions but i have no answers. mht looks like a guy who might go swimming at 9 in the morning, whereas i weighed myself on steve's scale and found out i'm 20 pounds over what i've ever weighed before. advantage mht.

reid and i do commentary, then jan and i do it. you can see most of what i was doing sunday on youtube or wherever it is. the highlight of this imo was when we noticed jonny chu was playing thematic swccg. lsjk at the endor db, jar jar binks at the battle plains, boss nass at his chambers, threepio at the throne room. everyone somewhere they were in the movies. we had a good time talking about that.

for lunch i got cheesesteak #2. and now a big part of this tournament report is advising people not to get cheesesteak from this place. it was the place toward the center of reading terminal market, and * that place. ok, first of all, there's a line to get the cheesesteak that isn't too long. so josh mack and i decide on that, reid and mht go elsewhere. but after we pay and they already have our money we're told to go around the side and wait in an entirely separate line. that is like three times as long. this is the get your food line. ok whatever. but then the * owner, man. if you let the person in front of you get one foot away from you he will immediately get on your case. down the line. down the line. he'll grab your arm and * and just be super abrasive and unpleasant. also i accidentally got fried, i totally did not want fries but the way they presented it i thought they were part of the order. reid and mht show up before our steaks are done. and the owner starts giving them *. they're standing in a public thoroughfare and the owner is acting like he owns it, tells reid he's standing in the way. reid is awesome and tells the owner that He is standing in His way, so back the * off. the cheesesteak was not bad, but i'd never go there again.

after day 3 i hang out with some guys in a hotel room for a while, which was chill and relaxing. while there we discover that somehow justin was the one in the room with the most dark side losses because vikram, greg, jonny and i were all undefeated with dark. tacobill was there but didn't contribute to that conversation so maybe he lost a game with dark, idk. point is dark is so much better.

then i go up to the bar, get another $15 burger. chat with a couple dudes at the bar about politics. try to explain inflation to a guy 20 years older and not very intelligent. i try to explain it in a way simple enough for him to understand but not too simple so as to sound condescending. i think i erred too much on the side of complexity because he was still wondering why the government couldn't just print all the money to pay the guy who fixes the pot holes rather than taxing us. but regardless of that he was still a cool guy to talk to, as were the software salesman and the bartender who joined in on the conversation. i talked to those guys for an hour or so then headed back to see what was up with everyone else.

i ended up playing battlestar galactica which was fun until i again hit the wall at about 12 pm. i'm either getting old or my depression is sucking my energy out because i definitely do not remember getting this tired this quickly. luckily steve is accomodating again and i head to his room for some sweet sweet sleep while the rest of them play resistance or actually i don't know what they played i was asleep.

next day i'm heading home, at port authority. i have an hour before my bus so i set my bag down near an eletrical outlet. i hear a crash. my heart sinks. my mug! i open the bag and it is shattered. i feel so down, after all that work, all that striving, i don't even drink out of the mug once before i break it. i did not care about any other trophies. i kept finding ways to leave my mpc trophy in barry's room. but that mug is a different story altogether, that's the only trophy i ever wanted and i broke it. i get on the internet and tell the chat room my tale of woe.

on the bus some crazy guy gets out of the bathroom and decides he likes the look of the girl in the back row and her three kids, so sits down with them and has a crazy loud conversation. i'm seriously worried this guy is a child molestor but i'm not entirely sure what to do about it. maybe he's just weird. 40 minutes into the ride the bus driver gets up to remind people (this guy) about the rule concerning loud conversations and respecting other passengers. that guy starts commenting about those disrespectful people he assumed the bus driver was talking about.

keith whispers me and asks for my address because scott has offered to replace the mug for me. i am extremely touched. scott, thank you again for this, i feel so incredibly stupid for breaking the mug but i am so grateful to you for making me regret that stupidity a little bit less.

the guy actually offers to drive the woman and her kids home and i'm super nervous about it, but i think she was just being non-confrontational. she sounded way too smart to let her family get kidnapped, and this dude was so obviously shady i just really hope she didn't go anywhere with him. or she did and he actually turns out not to be a child molesting rapist kidnapper. shortly after that i get home

tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Re: tom tr

Post by AnakinSolo »

10/10
Well, Bye.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

I was paraphrasing the mug story to my wife just now

1) she interrupted me while I was talking about gemme to say "yah it's mike gemme, he's dreamy"
2) she was SO sad for you when the mug broke

Fantastic story, fantastic storytelling. Thanks!
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

maybe she can't afford child care and he has inherited a large sum of money and they get married and live happily ever after.

good tr! i didn't intentionally play thematic star wars. i don't think corran horn ever made it to the coruscant: night club but then again i don't read the books and couldn't honestly tell you where corran frequented. and i lost the game so i wouldn't try it at home, folks

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

Best TR yet. I think you got so tired because you weren't drinking enough fluids. Important stuff this hydration.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Good read, Tom!

•Grats on the mug :)
•Burgers worth $15 exist, but I doubt anywhere you were
•I wish you'd pulled off the Seattle thing, that sounds brilliant
•Very curious which cheesesteak place you are referring to (the second one). No DiNic's roasted pork seems like a complete misplay though.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

aeneas23
LS Region: Dantooine
LS Region: Dantooine

Post by aeneas23 »

Great TR man. Congrats on the team tourney win!

However ...
WiseMarsellus wrote: i miss the next two worlds, and the next one i make it to is 2013 in boston. now i team up with fellow californian ryan jellison. i am exhausted as i had just flown across the country earlier that day, am jetlagged, and haven't gotten nearly enough sleep. but we manage to make the finals where we face off against team texas, mike richards and nick reisch. i play rops against nick's hyperdrive, which is normally a great match for me. but things don't go well for reasons i can't remember. i still win i think, but i don't dominate like i feel i should have. so something like the following happens. ryan loses by 11. i am winning by 11. but they have us on lost piles. i need to win by just one more. i spend like ten minutes trying to figure out how to do that and fail. nick scoops and we narrowly miss the mugs yet again. the next day i realize i had something special planned for him out and a ship in my lost pile, i could have just retrieved with that and we would have been victorious. not good.
Nope, I won the Hyperdrive vs. Rops matchup against you. Mike lost to Ryan because it was a Destroyer Droids v. Speeders matchup, so the droids have trouble hitting the speeders. The keys were (1) Found Someone You Have(v) to make my Jedi unmissing :) and (2) I played that ROPs/Hyperdrive matchup a ton in testing and knew the plan. But it was a tie and Mike and I won on lost piles ... and you did realize later that you had a play to reduce my win so you and Ryan would have taken home the mugs.

WiseMarsellus wrote: i get a burger and a beer from the bar after my third loss. the burger is $15. when i tell mht about this he asks if the burger was worth $15. i dispute the allegation that there exists such a thing as a burger worth $15. maybe he was thinking in canadian money.

It exists and it is more than $15 (and worth every penny) just for the burger (no fries). Kobe Beef Burger at Burger Bar Las Vegas. Splurg for the truffle mayo and the fries. You will end up paying like $27 for the meal and, yet, I wouldn't hesitate to pay it (and I'm cheap!).

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

I miss Decktech!

Great report. Two "Ha!"s for the Seattle Seahawks humor.

I wish I could still play this game at a competitive level or even know what the cards do anymore...

I love the lowercase letters.... makes me miss Ziggy.
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Such a great TR. A pleasure seeing you again Tom.

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Karrdeshark »

Awesome TR! It was great seeing you again, we'll have to do commentary another time on a game that takes longer than ten minutes!

kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

Little sad about your Day 2 results (I always want the HT ppl to do well), but great showing overall and amazing TR!
Kryptofis

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

aeneas23 wrote:Nope, I won the Hyperdrive vs. Rops matchup against you. Mike lost to Ryan because it was a Destroyer Droids v. Speeders matchup, so the droids have trouble hitting the speeders. The keys were (1) Found Someone You Have(v) to make my Jedi unmissing :) and (2) I played that ROPs/Hyperdrive matchup a ton in testing and knew the plan. But it was a tie and Mike and I won on lost piles ... and you did realize later that you had a play to reduce my win so you and Ryan would have taken home the mugs.
ah, ok, i kind of thought i had lost that game but if so i couldn't remember why the something special planned play mattered, so i just assumed i was mistaken and i had won it after all. did it go to time, was that it?

good to know about the burger. haven't been to vegas since i was like 12, which is probably not the best time to go to vegas. i still managed to get into trouble, i ordered porn off the hotel tv
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Tom, if you wrote a 200 page report on your childhood ant farm I would read it cover to cover. 10/10.

Wish I could have seen Reid tell off the cheesesteak guy. Congrats on the team tourney title!
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

Yeah, you're like Jack Kerouac of this community.
Kryptofis

kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

What's the part with your last name about? I read it twice and I still don't get it.
Kryptofis

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

prior to january 3, 2012 my name was tom hollingworth. on that day i changed it to tom kelly. i didn't tell anyone here about it mostly because i didn't mind the fact that my name was no longer google associated with swccg. but it is too weird to keep going by my old name
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

WiseMarsellus wrote:prior to january 3, 2012 my name was tom hollingworth. on that day i changed it to tom kelly. i didn't tell anyone here about it mostly because i didn't mind the fact that my name was no longer google associated with swccg. but it is too weird to keep going by my old name
Interesting, thanks for letting us know.

You ever get a chance to bust out "That name, no longer has any meaning for me!"? I think I'd probably use that all the time in your position.
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

WiseMarsellus wrote:prior to january 3, 2012 my name was tom hollingworth. on that day i changed it to tom kelly. i didn't tell anyone here about it mostly because i didn't mind the fact that my name was no longer google associated with swccg. but it is too weird to keep going by my old name
liar
:-D :-D :) :)
Well, Bye.

kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

You're not just anyone, you're Mavan...
Kryptofis

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

MAVanDriel wrote:
liar
:-D :-D :) :)
pics or it didn't happen?
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

Return to “World Championship 2015 - August 6-9”