My Year in Review.

Philadelphia, PA
retwin316
LS Region: Corellia

My Year in Review.

Post by retwin316 »

Ok, so I promised you guys a TR, and I will include some other stuff as well as Worlds... so here goes!

Along time ago in a galaxy far far away... well, In Indiana. There was a guy who had really lost his excitement towards a game he once loved. In 2009 I was on the very top of my game, winning event after event, and then someone decided it would be a brilliant idea to just wipe the entire years meta out and create an 80 card v set 2 months before worlds... I argued against all that of course... but the people with the pull got the final decision on that, and of course we all know the aftermath from that... worlds sucked, but it was still a fun time to see all your old friends... and I had an alright time, but I was starting to be unable to take the game serious anymore... this kind of stuff has been happening way too much, although not on this kind of level.

So throughout the years, the PC kept doing amazing things for the game, like creating slavers, and at-rt's, and tons of other stuff I can't even begin to remember, as I am pretty sure I blocked all of that out. I still played of course, because I love you guys and love getting my nerd on also, but I just didn't have my heart in the game anymore. One cool thing that happened though, was after a 10 year hiatus from the game, I did get my good friend Steve Brentson back interested in the game, and it made going to events a lot more fun.

Another thing that probably made me lose a lot of interest, was the fact that worlds was in other countries for 2 of the last 3 years, and with my school, it just made it impossible to make those events happen... so with no real events to look forward to, I definitely took a back seat to a lot of that, and after last years MPC, and the fact that I pretty much refused to play intelligently in my top 8 game and ended up losing, I just felt my interest really slipping away.

Then one day, the talks I had been hearing for years about resets and such actually started picking up steam... and then it happened... the game got reset with a base v set. This was a long time coming if you ask me... and my interest in SWCCG was instantly piqued again. About that same time another person interest was apparently piqued as well. After not logging into the forums for months, I logged on to have a handful of messages, mostly ones asking opinions about the reset, but the one that I found the most interesting was from my long time teammate, Matt Scott. He was also excited about the reset, and we started talking about reforming the alliance.

So SoCal had a reset event scheduled, and I don't really need that much persuasion to get talked into going to SoCal, so it was on. Of course I had to get a hold of my other partners in crime, Steve Brentson and Reid Smith, and see where their heads were at. Reid seemed kind of like meh, and he wasn't going to to go SoCal, but he was all in on helping with deck ideas. Matt was also out, but Brentson was in, and we started making plans. None of us really knew what to play though. I built watto, ig88, and senate 4lom start for dark, and palace raiders, lsc with holotable, and tigih for light. Reid also had a TRM deck with like 7 lukes in it, 4 lsjk and 3 epp. I made a few changes to it, but have never really been comfortable with it.

It didn't take me long to figure out that dark was pretty awful. Watto and the senate deck were garbage, and I didn't have a build for ig88 I liked. That is when Reid suggested this random scum pile with ig88 as a platform. I really had nothing else, so I tinkered with it. Palace raiders was obviously weak to raiders, and baron fel in general, but he wasn't in any of my decks, so I didn't test Vs that. The tigih has been my old reliable for years, and after going back and forth with Steve, Reid, and Matt, we had what we felt was an optimal build for it. I never really did anything with the lsc because I wasn't really comfortable with it either.

So Steve and I get to the event, and we find out if you want to change your deck for day 2, you have to submit it early. I know I don't want to play raiders in swiss, but feel like it could be a great top 4 deck because it wasn't likely anyone would use watto because it was so bad, and if people did, they would never make top 4. After playing against Barry Alperstein several games and getting smashed by his ig88 list, I decide I am just going to use his deck card for card if I make top 4. I don't like the ig88 scum deck, but it is all I feel like I have for the swiss, and Steve decides he is in on the same decks too. So we have tigih 12 card start and ig88 scum.

I end up going 4-0 for the second straight year in the cube portion, so I will be starting out with an advantage again for the swiss. I am not going to go game by game, but I will go over the few details I still remember from this event and the mpc.

I face Michael Richards first in the swiss, and he is using TTO, and I have no ships, great. He really does pretty much have the game in hand, and has only stacked one card on conflict... and then he decides to grab some random garbage interrupt... well you all know my decks by now... and he got caught in an icbw/we're doomed lockdown... but it still seemed to me like he was going to win. He started doing some silly stuff though, and he ended up stacking a second card on credits. I make a comment about how he should watch himself or he is going to end up getting converted. Well... he does end up stacking a 3rd card, and I promptly draw my whole force pile looking for a 6, and find one, and since it is sos, dif doesn't matter and I convert next turn for the win.

I guess that was a lot more detail than I thought I would have... anywho... I don't remember the order of many of my other games. I trade off games with Joe Olson, both of us winning with tigih. I lose to Kevin Shannon after he uses ghhhk combo to cancel my nabrun turn 1 on ig88... and the fact that for the first like 6 turns I activated 6 force. I do not recall one of my games, but my make or break game 6 was against Evan Kirkpatrick, hope I got that right, and he was using saber combat, and I had to find a way to win with my $hitty ig88 deck. I have a huge beats assembled early, and first strike, and he has 3 force saved. I drop the beats on lsjk, and battle... he plays it's a trap for 3... yeah, I forgot to deploy first strike... so now I am really * I think, because like really, my deck is not good lol. I ig88 around to find my elis, and lsjk is still just wandering around by himself, and I elis over a second time, he didn't grab it the first time because he needed the 3 force, and I overflow lsjk for like 15-20, some random number, and I am pretty sure he scoops when he has no houjix.

So I make top 4, and face Kevin first round. I find out I am the only one who switched decks... and I also find out the both the other side players have watto for dark, go figure... Kevin uses ig88, same deck that beat my tigih in the swiss, although I really wish I still had tigih, because I feel like in a rematch I still beat Kevin, and obviously crush watto... anywho! I win a like 2 hour game by 7 with palace raiders over his ig88. We then break for dinner because everyone else is gone besides us and Clayton (don't you know who he is? Had to name drop this *, I know he loves it, and I love that guy!) When we get back, it is my Barry ig88 deck against Kevin's ebo... well, Barry's deck has all sorts of ebo hate, like s&d and ice plains, and I win fairly easily to advance.

Joe was asleep, and at this point I am not sure which one of us is worst for wear... I just got out of a 3 and a half hour match with Kevin, and he was asleep for like an hour and got woken up... oh, and I am pretty sure at this point I had pneomonia (obviously spelled wrong, dang!) So I win with Barry's ig88 deck by 18, in a match where he had destroyed the ig88 scum in the swiss. I have been discussing strategies against watto with raiders for days leading up to this event, just in case it actually happened, and I had decided that my strategy would be to draw up like 20 some cards, and then save and put watto back and dump my entire hand in one turn, and go from there... then I talked to Reid before the game, and he said I should just go kessel early and drain drain drain... apparently he wasn't thinking about baron either... anyways, I went with Reid's strategy, and my ships got waxed by baron, and I got crushed... the feeling felt awful... to have come so far and really not even been able to play a game of SWCCG... it is like that bad a matchup.

So, I was a little dejected, but the MPC was coming up... and we had a lot more ideas for decks. Reid from a very early time was talking lsc and sycfa. I built the sycfa, and tested it, but I was never settled on lsc... especially not his, although I like a lot of things that his had going on. I took his pod and wesa x 4 package and ran with it, including the holotable and dropping all this ships since they were worthless. The deck still seemed meh, but the only other thing I had was old reliable, tigih. Brentson was still all in on tigih, and he knows the decks really well, and he also opts for Shannon ig88, which I was also considering, because I have much love for ig88 and also Kevin Shannon. Matt had dropped off the face of the earth... I think he was mad about a comment I made when he asked when we were going to play test, and I responded with "idk about you, but I have been play testing with the Rauser (my cat that Matt loves so much)" After that I didn't hear from him again until after the MPC.

So we arrive for the MPC, and meet up with Reid, and he shows me the changes to the sycfa, which I have been using fairly frequently, so I don't see how I can not use that... the 4lom start huntdown I had been trying to make work was ball sack bad. He tells me his is in on saber combat for sure, and I decide to use my own version of the deck. Steve sticks with what he has, and we are all set. Steve and I decide to play team event, and we get beat by Tom Haid and Lenny Rubin, and I am starting to question why I always want to play team events instead of test more... oh wells.

So I have a bye first round, and get to mill about and wait for Vikrim to win his first match so we can play... and I know he always has crazy ass decks, so I am a little worried. Well... turns out he loses to Tony Garcia, whom I have never heard of, so I am set to play him. Turns out Tony has amazing meta calls for my decks... and also has the new whap, which I never had time to test because it was the last semester before I got my associates, and I was spending all my time on that. He should have bounced me from the event, but in the first game he deployed motti v which turned off chireneu, and he caught random interrupt also and doomed/icbw did him in, and I won by like 14. Game 2 he had a good blaster instead of wokling, and he used nabrun to move amidala in during control phase, and hit me for 3 damage turn 2... this game from the get go was an uphill battle the entire time, and I did some math in my head, and figured out if I didn't make some moves, I was going to lose by more than 14... so I dropped tat maul to one of his unoccupied sites, hoping at the very least he would be forced to do something about it and it would save me some damage that turn so I could get him in limited resources range. Well, he did do something... he dropped panaka and captain rex and tried to battle, and I reminded him he had no ability... so I was saved a turn of drains, and didn't lose maul. I moved away from mace to where he had moved rex and panaka, and he drops aayla on me... and battles... I think he drew very low, and I drew a 6, or maybe I barriered aayla? Idk, but maul lived, and during my control phase I duel aayla with mauls text and draw 6 6 and drain over the 2 little guys again... a few turns later he drains me out for the win by around 6 or so, so I advance.

Then I play Kyle Kruger, and I feel as though he had very good matchups, but he didn't know his decks that well, and I won both games... Kyle, play decks you know!!! Oh, and play sando aqua monster, some drunken guy convinced me that card was the nuts! :P So then it comes down to Chu and myself... I have literally never even beat this guy in a pickup game, and to make top 4, something I have also never done, I have to go through the legend. First game I am lsc, and for once I am on the good end of a matchup where one side deploys a ton, and one side deploys like nothing. We exchange damage most of the game, and I have houjix draining on holotable for 1 extra damage (never smart enough to pull projection with wokling to make it 2) and he starts asking about dejarik rules, and he seems really excited when he finds out that image of our dark lord is a monster on the board... but he deploys it on my lsc site, boooo! I blow it up with transmission terminated, but it would have been a lot cooler if he had spent 6 for it haha. So I pull off a small win, and we are on to the next game. I don't remember when, but we are sitting next to drunken Hayes, and he is being really really ridiculous, and bleeding, and yeah... Chu is definitely a little bit annoyed, and I am not sure if it affected his game or not, but he comes out really fast, knowing it isn't a great matchup for him, my sycfa and his tigih. Early on I overflow corran horn for a few force at battle plains, and set up a drain there, and after exchanging damage, he tells me he is going to 3p0, and if it is the card he needs, we will play on, if not it's over. He 3p0's and extends his hand.

I am on cloud 9 pretty much... I made the top 4 at the MPC for the first time, after making top 8 every year I played and losing, and I finally was able to win games against Chu, who is probably the biggest class act in the entire game, I can't ever say enough good things about Chu. So then the wait is on to see if Reid prevails, and after the longest most belligerent game ever, Reid pulls it off, and we now have a whole new event to prepare for.... props to Reid not only for making day 2, but also being able to make it through his entire match without losing his cool... I am not sure if I could have done it... not sure if Hayes would have done that to me though, although I know he would have played head games of some kind.

So we are off to dinner/preparation. I start texting Matt to see what he thinks. We discuss in great details WYS (writer note... I left all of my palace raiders at home, so there was no way I would talk myself into using them, no matter how bad watto is) He came up with tons of lists, but none of those felt really good. At dinner all sorts of crazy * was being brought up. Tigih shield buster, invasion, trooper beats (have been trying to make this work forever!) You name it, we probably brought it up. Reid decides he is probaby using TRM, and I have this crazy hidden base deck I have been saving for just the right time, but it never seems like there is a right time. I am pretty much on my own for light, because I won't play TRM. For dark, all we really want is a deck that beats whap and qmc... in the end, for once, I end up being the voice of reason, and decide we should stick with sycfa, because with dark being so bad, it was the best deck I felt. We get back up to the room, and Reid decides to cut a couple cards for sense x 2, since we didn't use it day 1, and it would be a great meta call... and it was for sure. I figure I can't do much good there, and leave to make my light.

I get back, and Brentson is in bed, so I keep texting Matt, and I put together one of the wys lists, then decide on hidden base, and make some changes, and then give up because I have no idea what to use, and sleep would be better at this point. In the morning I wake up, and everything is so clear... I am going to use tigih, the deck I should have used in SoCal... only one problem... it is missing a card and I have no idea what it is. Steve in his brilliance is going through his random cards for stuff for his profit deck, and he is like "should I use uncontrollable fury!?" I remember Chu had it in his deck, and I was like * it, that card is in. I then Decide I don't need 3 accelerate in the sycfa, and cut one to add my u3p0 back in, and I am ready.

Well, we all know by now I lost to Joe, and Joe won the event. I drew uncontrollable fury opening hand, and tried to make it work instead of just doing what tigih does best, and by the time I changed modes, I was too far behind... that and some really good destiny draws that allowed Joe to track and kill all my guys with force lightning! The other game, I was also advantaged in, but I made a questionable decision early not to go baron turn one to system, and I also drew bridge for battle destiny in a key battle Vs melas that might have been enough to win it for me if I killed him even after everything that happened... but I did have u3p0 in my hand, which I had cut for accelerate :(

I was still left hungry, and more focused than ever. Early after the MPC, talks resumed on decks... and I really wanted to use lsjk, but didn't want to pay 8... that is when I created the first version of lsjk wys, that had 3 of him and 3 obi with gift of the mentor and both of their sabers... the deck was a beast. It never lost. It rolled through sycfa, naboo mains, watto, eops, bespin, you name it. I also spent many many weeks trying to make isb work, because for some reason I just felt isb was going to be good, but after several lists, we dropped it. We started looking at ideas for decree v decks, to use the naboo mains idea as a platform, and quickly came up with senate. It just didn't seem like it could be really strong in both forums.

So about this time, the luke effect becomes a possible v card... and it is retarded good. I am like, uhhhh, what about my wys with that card... and it seems so sick, when you add it to a deck that is already a monster... and I spend lots of times battling people on the forums because of its power level... and then it becomes even more ridiculous, so I am going to get sabers for my obi and lsjk, and I decide as much as I want this card for my deck, the game needs to be protected, but everyone of course says I am crazy, as always. The card finally gets neutered a little, but it is still really strong. On a side note, did anyone notice that at least 6 decks used this in top 8? I also discussed this with Mitch Neiland when we ran into each other in the airport on Monday. You take the best character in the game, and make him better? There shouldn't be 6 destiny main characters... emperor isn't even close to on lsjk's power level... I am pretty sure we both came to the conclusion that this card is kind of nuts.

Anywho, they start offering travel vouchers for regionals, and I talk Steve Brentson and Joe Olson into flying in for regionals 2 weeks before worlds. Matt and I make a do not use list, so we don't put our best decks out there. Leading up to the event, I have no school, so I am able to meet up with Matt several times and play test in person. Bespin deck plays really well, and we test it Vs qmc and it is beating qmc, so we are pretty much sold on it for dark. Well, it occurs to me when playing against CT, that the qmc we have been using has no barriers, which might change the whole matchup, since with close calls vader and other guys were living. When we add the barriers back, the qmc beats the bespin every time, also having a place to build up your space fleet so it doesn't get dismantled is really bad for bespin. The wys deck wrecks all, and we start to realize again that dark is just really bad. I never made naboo mains, so we probably didn't give it a fair shake. Matt and CT had it made, so I played games against it, but never used it. It beat what it was supposed to, but just never beat the wys. Palace raiders with the v raider could stomp lots of decks, but I could never fit in all the cards I wanted. So Reid reinvents trm, and he wants me to get good with it so we can play it at worlds

So regional comes up, and Matt and I decide not to tell each other our decks. I decide to use trm and sycfa, because it doesn't put new lists out there, and I want to try the trm out. Matt uses qmc with an extra system, which seems interesting, and he uses decree senate with no baron, because we made a no baron senate pact. Steve uses tigih and changes a ton of stuff, including taking out senses which we ridicule him for forever, like a running joke on the weekend, and he uses bespin deck with maul in it. I go 4-2, losing a very close game to Steve with my sycfa, which I feel I could have won. I also lose with trm to Joe's huntdown, because only one battleground per side seems bad for the trm deck... I also feel like I could have easily lost to CT when he had naboo mains, but he played wrecklessly and I won. So I go 4-2, Joe 4-2, and Matt 4-2, and Steve 6-0. Matt beats Joe and I on sos, but no final is played, and Steve is the winner.

I took lots of stuff out of this weekend, although I didn't use decks I cared that much about. Trm seems very fragile, or at least Reid's list... I don't like it at all. Joe's huntdown 12 card start is interesting, and I decide we need to add it to our possible decks. I also decide no matter what Reid says, that tigih is advantaged vs sycfa. Reid also says he thinks sycfa is advantaged Vs wys, but the step just owns it. The bespin deck seems like it moved up on my scale, yet moved down at the same time... don't know how to explain it. Joe and I play several games after, and I use his super bad wys deck and still beat him twice when he is using sycfa... and I report to Reid, who still won't believe it.

So we keep trying to make isb work, and it still sucks, and I have like no time with my internship ending and working 40 hours a week and preparing for work, so the deck ideas and time to figure them our are dwindling. We want to make entanglements, but I never make a list. Reid starts talking a bout hidden base quads, since all of us are sour on trm... I look for vette's and quad guns and have like 4 of each, so that is out. Reid also comes up with the idea to use wys racing, because in theory it retrieves so much you will always win on time if you don't win outright. I am going to be going to hang out with Steve for a week before worlds to play some games and hang out, and Matt is meeting us on Thursday and we are meeting Reid at the hotel on Friday.

Well, as soon we get there, we decide to start eliminating decks... first match is going to be qmc against... watto? I am not even considering using this deck, but I have had Joe's SoCal list put together for sometime... it destroys are qmc over and over... So Steve is intrigued because he has much love for watto. I play trm against it, and get 2 of the worst draws ever, and he wins both games with watto without according to my design... that is pretty much the moment I decide I won't use trm. I try and play the racing deck against watto, and it gets wrecked, and it gets wrecked by naboo mains also, so it is just out also. Steve has pretty much decided right then he is using watto, even though we haven't played it against anything it is really disadvantaged against. I tell him you can't use a deck that can't beat the most popular light (tigih). I make some bad lists, even put together an eops decks, but never play it a single game before I decide it's bad. I was going to use raiders in the team event, but after putting it together decide it is awful also.

When Matt arrives the real testing begins... we decide to go two on one off so we call get games in. The senate deck starts getting used, and it seems like a pile but it keeps winning. We never really use the bespin deck at all, which in hindsight I am sad about, but whatever. tigih and wys get played a lot. I ask Matt what he thinks about TTO, and if that could even be a thing, and he asks for a list, and obviously there is no time. I am very torn on decks, but I think deep down I always knew what I was using... just not enough time to test it all anymore.

Friday rolls around and we head to the hotel. Steve and I decide to play team event and Matt and Reid test some games. I am using whap and Steve watto. First round we face Wirfs and Harpster... my game isn't very eventful... we just damage. He is using bespin with matching ships. He loads up his ground sites with forfeit so I stay away. I lose by 6 but Steve gets a big beatdown on wirfs and wins by more. Next round we face gogs and Amar. I face gogs, and he has court... probably shoulda been an amazing game for me... but my opening draw is nass chambers and 7 red cards. I am like ok, this is probably over. I pull my amidala and drop her, move, and draw... baragwin and rex. Gogolen wants to elis, but doesn't. So I flip and play my * guys... after drawing like 6 cards my 3rd time I get my first jedi. Anywho... long story short, Steve and I both lose, and head back to the room.

I watch several games, including a game Steve is playing against Trevor Partridge. Steve has the wys deck and Trevor eops... Trevor gets some good battles in early, and Steve wants to quit, but I won't let him because I know the deck... Steve of course comes back and wins. Then I happen into the other room where Matt and Reid are playing. Matt has huntdown and Reid hidden base quads. Matt has several magic cards in his deck that I put in, one of them being security precautions... it just says sec prec on the card and is deployed on some location. You can also see the magic cards through the sleeves, so Reid is kind of tilted. Well, at some point Reid deploys like 4 corvettes and battles maul in ship, and then tells Matt he has 17 overflow, and I point at the sec prec magic card, and apparently give him some "do you even know how to play star wars cards look" he then goes into a rage, and starts roaming around the room and yelling and getting in my face, and complaining about the magic cards being seen through the sleeves, and when he is done ranting I ask him if he is going to hit me in the face, and he sits down and is like no, but don't look at me like I am retarded. haha, best part of the night!

So we head back to our room to choose decks... I have been really putting this off. We discuss our options as the hour is getting late, and everyone is in on wys for light. We decide on the few final slots, and call it a deck. We then decide to look at dark, which no one is happy with. They both decide on senate, which I haven't played any games with at all... I leave the room and go talk to Reid, and ask him if he is sure that he thinks sycfa is the best dark has, and he pretty much has nothing else for dark, but I am still unsure. I come back and tell Steve and Matt I can't play senate, which makes them both decide not to use senate also. Steve decides he is just using watto, and Matt and I both decide on sycfa, and we change like 8 cards, including adding a 3rd system, which I feel like will be money Vs many decks.

Saturday rolls around, we make a few last second changes including adding r2d2 to the wys deck, and are ready. Pairings are called and none of us face each other. I get paired with Chris Kelly, who is the originator of the luke effect. We sit down and shuffle, and have a conversation where I tell him I never meant to be mean about it, I was just trying to protect the game, and he says he knows. I then show him I am using it also, and he tells me he can't wait to see my list, although I know he played luke wys in the team event, so idk how close they were.

Side note... my hands hurt really bad right now... and it is 11:44 and I need to be up at 6 am to go to work! Lucky I love you guys! Game details may be a little fuzzy, but I know the major stuff.

Chris starts JCC, luke effect, wokling, and maybe saitor? I draw 2 systems in my opening hand, which turns out to be huge because I don't have to spend force to pull a system, and can get a drain going fast. He drops luke to battle plains very early, if not first turn. I continue to deploy ships and we race. He drops hcf, and I turn it off, and he moves away. He drops green leader in ship on his turn and moves to ds, and I am feeling some pressure. At some point I deploy to the db with a guy to drain free. He moves hcf to ds at some point also and moves green leader out. I kill green leader and now he has to pay to drain. He has lando and hcf so he is paying 4 for those, and eventually I kill falcon, and survive at the db against his hit and runs and I pull out the win.

Feeling good I won a game with dark, and then they call next pairings and I am paired against Matt, which sucks. We played this matchup so many times, and light always wins... and our game was no different. A Ship survives in space, and the cantina shuffle for 4 drain a turn is just too much. This is also the only game I drew r2d2 all day, so that and captain han with backup interrupts isn't going anywhere.

So I am 2-0, and face Phil Aasen who beat Steve already in a watto Vs tigih match. Poor Steve played against tigih literally like every game. I am dark, and Phil is tigih 3 effect start. So Phil and I are really just exchanging damage... I am not sure if I deployed to ground the entire game, if I did it was late game. He never deployed to space either. When he finally found his ship, he didn't have enough force to waist a turn of drains so he used nabrun instead to move to ds war room for more drains. In the end I end up draining him out with the help of the 3rd system. Before the event I jokingly said we needed to take a running count on how many times I drew 0 for destiny with dark... so far 0. Now 2-0 with dark, and feeling really good since I get light next game.

Game 4 I draw Emil, and I know he is a really strong player, but have only faced him in cube, which he did beat me. Emil is playing TTO, which I have no testing experience against. My draw is also really crappy, and I can't get activation all game. This was the featured match this round, so you can all go watch my misery lol. I tried to wesa, and it got sensed by his one sense, and I never got either of my locations out. You can't really win a game on 8 force a turn... and honestly, I feel like if I was getting 10-12, it is my game, but it didn't happen that way, and he won. A very great player and another class act.

Game 5 I face Jarad Konsker, who I joke around with before the game about us being forum arch enemy's now, and we both assure the other we know that we are cool and it is just forum bs. And I will go on record as saying that I think Jarad is a cool guy. So I ask him if we have ever played, like I always do when I can't remember, and he is like yeah, we played at the Y4 regional in 2009 and told me about his gungan deck, and I was like oh *, I remember that, did I win? And he is like no, I crushed you with speeder cannons :( haha! Jared is using eops. So this is the only game all day I got luke with saber out first turn, and it honestly seemed like the entire game I had everything I needed. He drops epp maul and battles, and misses a swing, or both? Maybe I used blaster deflection, but luke Lives and maul bites it... he did sith fury a second maul into hand though. I deployed some ships, and he waits a turn to drop maul again, and beats on my ship. When he did come down with maul again he was getting low on force, and this time I had deflection and dodge in my hand so maul went to lost pile again and I kept shuffling and pulled out the win.

Game 6 there are 3 5-0 left, and I get paired against Chu, who is one of them. Chu is using trm with luke effect, which I can only assume is what I would have tried to change Reid's list into. My opening hand is very mediocre, and I have no good ships to deploy, so I go balls to the wall because I know I will need to, and I deploy onyx 2 to a system. It gets some drains in for a few turns before Chi finally finds a hcf, which gets turned off, and it moves away. I get tat maul, and follow hcf around. So we are dealing damage back forth, and it takes Chu a while to find battle plains, and he is paying for hcf, and finally I go to db to block his drain and hold battle plan, and he drops dtf, and one time he loses some overflow and keeps mace, but I eventually draw a 6 and kill mace. He then comes with lsjk, and battles but can't upkeep hcf, so it goes lost. Late game I drop a vader and kill his anakin which takes away his second bg and he misses a turn of draining at war room, and I run him out of cards. WOW, 3-0 with dark... never would have thought it. I am feeling really good at this point.

Game 7 I get to face Emil again, and I am more than ready for some revenge. He is using qmc... and after my debacle against Joe during the mpc, I know exactly how I am going to play this game. My turn one I come with baron to bespin. His turn 1 play site, draw. My turn 2 I drop tur phennir. His turn 2 he plays site, draws. I don't think this ends up mattering, or maybe it does, but at this point I decide to go ground, instead of playing black 2 v, and since I cut ghhhk, I probably over deploy because I am scared of being beatdown and drop mara and sidious to drain cancel site. His turn 3 he drops herc, chewie to 1-0, and leia to her hut to flip and then moves herc to alderaan, I grab herc to look at his hyperspeed and before I can even tell him he can't move there, he moves it back, and says I have to drop the docking bay and land instead. It all happens so fast I can't even say anything about him going back to his deploy face when he already tried to move, although I would have let him anyways. He moves herc to 1-0 and plays awri combo to get a ship, which there wasn't any in deck, maybe he was a little flustered, idk. I do not recall what I did on my turn, but again I didn't deploy black 2, I think, or maybe I did... I think I flashed him and he was activated, idk. He got a ship with another awri combo, and on his turn he drops luke in ship, plays capt han to db, moves chewie and herc over and flies all of them up. At this point he has only used one used pile search, and I am holding black 2, onyx 2, cannon, and aptw. I deploy all of that stuff, and battle. He plays dont get cocky and blows up black 2. I play aptw and he senses with luke. I shoot at luke and draw a 6, and he makes me redraw it with captain han, and I draw a zero for the first time all day, which I play close call on, and he senses again with luke. I then draw a zero and 3 for destiny, and he draws a 4 and something... where was that 4 for the sense? So I lose everything but empty saber 1, and he loses maybe chewie. Well... the rest of the game didn't need played out, but I did for a while before I gave up. All I can say is wow... all of that just happened... reminded me of how I lost to Angelo in top 4 at 2002 worlds... kind of crushing...

So I have to regroup... win and I'm in... lose and I walk. If I had to have one deck in this situation, with one game left and it all on the line, I would choose wys, every time. There are so many naboo mains, which I am very advantaged against, I know I should get a reasonable matchup. They call the pairings, and I get Jan Westergard... and I know what he is likely playing...

So... one game, all I have to do is win... and I am playing against tto, and not just any tto player... the gadfather of tto players. I can't really say my deck took a crap on me, but it also didn't help me a lot this game either. The first game all day I didn't get a luke, and another game I couldn't find mos eisley when I needed it the most. I played my ass off this game... if anyone has a chance to watch our game feed, you will be watching one good game. I was getting again 9 force all game, and the one time I was able to tunnel vision, I had to choose melas because of tat maul, when the moving to attack position I knew would be so key in being able to win. I could never keep anything alive in space. One ship got killed by cannons. One ship wiped out by the onyx combo, and later on a set for stun and cannon wipes out my last remaining ship when I had moving to attack position in lost and 7 forfeit falcon. It was another uphill battle the entire game, and I think I lost by like 6 or so...

The realization set in right away. All of that preparation, the best tournament I had played in years, even in defeat... I couldn't believe it. I have never been more dejected than I was in that moment. I thought where do I go from here as far as playing this game... I gave it my everything this year... and I just couldn't make it happen. Even in events in my SWCCG career that I have won, big opens, national wins, etc... I feel as though I played this event better than any of those, and it wasn't even close to good enough. What was left to do...

About that time we all go out to dinner, even though I wasn't very hungry, I know, Kind of crazy... We are down in the lobby talking, and i see Jan walk outside by himself, so I follow him out. He looks at me and is like, did you know Macho Man had a singing career? I was like no?? He says yeah, he would always be like oooohhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhh, and he said it in an almost perfect Macho Man voice, and I laughed, and then he said, well, it wasn't really a singing career, it was mostly just him making fun of Hulk Hogan, he hated that guy! I couldn't help but laugh... even in that instant, Jan had me rolling. I know I said it already, but thanks man... that made me feel so much better... like everything was instantly fine. I didn't accomplish what I thought I would, and I really did think this year would end a lot differently than it did, but it just makes me want it more. I have had a few people tell me they felt I was better this year than ever... and I feel like I can still improve, and I will be back this year, and this time it is going to end differently.

Not a whole lot left to say... other than I feel like again thanking Tom Haid for buying my red velvet cheesecake... that was as nice of gesture as anyone has ever given me, you rock man! Thanks to my testing partners/swccg buddies/friends, Steve, Matt, Reid, Kessling, Barry, Shaw, Bill, Wirfs, Hapster, Joe, Phil, Kyle, Jan, Chu, Desai (thanks for giving me * for eating all those carbs... I needed a wake up call), Emil, Angelo, Chris Menzel (those foils you handed out were amazing, thank you so much) Kim, Scott, Ray, Hodor, Big Twigg, Little Twigg, Sokol, Celluci, Remaker, trevor, Tom, Lenny, Jeremy, Gogolen, Jarad, Mitch, Michael Richards, John Anderson, Kingery... I hope I am not forgetting anyone, because you all mean so much to me. You guys are the reason I still play, the reason I keep coming back. Some of the greatest people I know. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Hope you all enjoyed this.

Batmouse
LS Region: Alderaan
GEMP Username: batmouse

Re: My Year in Review.

Post by Batmouse »

Great read but you know what it needs more of? Batmouse. Can't wait till the next event we get to hang out and drink beers at.
Proud owner of the alderaan regional trophy of 2009!
Proud WINNER of the Alderaan regional trophy 2017!
The Sheriff of Gemp
quesosauce37 wrote: all hail batmouse the vigilante!
imrahil327 wrote:Awww, it's Batmouse's and my first agreement on a sports topic. Image

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

Batmouse wrote:Great read but you know what it needs more of? Batmouse. Can't wait till the next event we get to hang out and drink beers at.
If I can even drink beers next time! I was like deathly sick the entire time at SoCal, hopefully this year I will be alright... I will definitely be there man! Was awesome seeing you at the Grand Prix!

Batmouse
GEMP Username: batmouse

Post by Batmouse »

retwin316 wrote:
Batmouse wrote:Great read but you know what it needs more of? Batmouse. Can't wait till the next event we get to hang out and drink beers at.
If I can even drink beers next time! I was like deathly sick the entire time at SoCal, hopefully this year I will be alright... I will definitely be there man! Was awesome seeing you at the Grand Prix!
maybe this year I'll even build my decks before the morning of. But where would be the fun in that!
Proud owner of the alderaan regional trophy of 2009!
Proud WINNER of the Alderaan regional trophy 2017!
The Sheriff of Gemp
quesosauce37 wrote: all hail batmouse the vigilante!
imrahil327 wrote:Awww, it's Batmouse's and my first agreement on a sports topic. Image

DDM

Post by DDM »

Preparing heavily can do that to you.
Good read. :)
Keep it up and see you hopefully once more!
(I still remember how my Panic WYS crapped out on me vs you that game at Worlds. Sometimes it just happens)
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

Nice read, thanks for typing. It was great playing with you and hanging out with you day 3.

Re: Harc Seff movement. I didn't realize how shady my actions could seem until you wrote them down now. Sorry about that. At least I had a Houjix in hand so the only practical difference would be that I would have one ship less after our battle two turns later.

The WYS deck (I played it day 3 as well) unfortunately seems to have a tendency crap out on you. Activation has to be found via pullers or drawing. Your smugglers can be steamrolled by Force Lightning and other tricks. Makes me less convinced that the deck is so great =)
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

Darth_Link wrote:Nice read, thanks for typing. It was great playing with you and hanging out with you day 3.

Re: Harc Seff movement. I didn't realize how shady my actions could seem until you wrote them down now. Sorry about that. At least I had a Houjix in hand so the only practical difference would be that I would have one ship less after our battle two turns later.

The WYS deck (I played it day 3 as well) unfortunately seems to have a tendency crap out on you. Activation has to be found via pullers or drawing. Your smugglers can be steamrolled by Force Lightning and other tricks. Makes me less convinced that the deck is so great =)
I didn't think what you did was shady, and I would have let you do it anyways. It was just something I remembered. Signing cards on day 3 was the best part of my weekend, it was really fun, and I have a crap load of awesome signed cards by you now! You might be right on the wys deck as well, but more testing is probably needed. I look forward to seeing you again man!

Zarantai

Post by Zarantai »

That WYS Luke effect deck was nasty! Definitely want to try it out myself now :-D

Great read and it's definitely been fun hanging around ya guys this past year!
Trevor Partridge, Pittsburgh

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Great TR, thanks for writing!
Gosse Z. - Seattle

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

retwin316 wrote:Thanks to my testing partners/swccg buddies/friends, Steve, Matt, Reid, Kessling, Barry, Shaw, Bill, Wirfs, Hapster, Joe, Phil, Kyle, Jan, Chu, Desai (thanks for giving me * for eating all those carbs... I needed a wake up call), Emil, Angelo, Chris Menzel (those foils you handed out were amazing, thank you so much) Kim, Scott, Ray, Hodor, Big Twigg, Little Twigg, Sokol, Celluci, Remaker, trevor, Tom, Lenny, Jeremy, Gogolen, Jarad, Mitch, Michael Richards, John Anderson, Kingery...
ouch.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Awesome read, and awesome job this year BFred.

Top 2 San Diego, Top 4 MPC, and 5-3 at Worlds is not bad at all!

I really enjoyed hanging out with you, Matt, Steve, and Rouser and co.! So glad I made that trip.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
retwin316 wrote:Thanks to my testing partners/swccg buddies/friends, Steve, Matt, Reid, Kessling, Barry, Shaw, Bill, Wirfs, Hapster, Joe, Phil, Kyle, Jan, Chu, Desai (thanks for giving me * for eating all those carbs... I needed a wake up call), Emil, Angelo, Chris Menzel (those foils you handed out were amazing, thank you so much) Kim, Scott, Ray, Hodor, Big Twigg, Little Twigg, Sokol, Celluci, Remaker, trevor, Tom, Lenny, Jeremy, Gogolen, Jarad, Mitch, Michael Richards, John Anderson, Kingery...
ouch.
Yeah, I noticed the name drop of clay in the TR and omission at the end too.

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

I didn't mean to leave anyone out, my bad. The last part of course went to everyone who wasn't there as well... Kevin Shannon, Chris Schoenthal, Clay, Shane Butler, Keith Brown, Mike Gemme, Cole, and the list goes on and on... I am sorry for leaving out names, I was really tired when I finished, and I am super exhausted now. I love everyone equal, you are all amazing people!

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

<3
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Remaker

Post by Remaker »

Great read!

I feel like people at star wars events don't even know my real name... just remaker.

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

Remaker wrote:Great read!

I feel like people at star wars events don't even know my real name... just remaker.
That isn't your name?

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

retwin316 wrote:

That isn't your name?
His real name is jonboy remaker.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
retwin316 wrote:

That isn't your name?
His real name is jonboy remaker.
Well I knew that much!

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

aww... last time I sign cards for you!

jk jk. It was good seeing you at worlds
Well, Bye.

NoLimit
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by NoLimit »

I had a blast reading this.
Thanks for taking the time and spreading so much love!
I sympathize with the feeling you had at the end of the day. Sounds like you played at the top of your game, while facing some extremely tough opposition all day. Hold your head up, you had a strong year.

Return to “World Championship 2015 - August 6-9”