qualifying for worlds

Princeton Clarion Hotel, 3499 Route 1 South
Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
WiseMarsellus

Re: qualifying for worlds

Post by WiseMarsellus »

MAVanDriel wrote:On topic it was clearly the correct call. The tournament guide has been explicit on this point forever.
i do not contest that the rule exists. but adhering to rules in situations where doing so produces unjust and harmful results, whether this be in swccg or life in general, is antithetical to the good. no one has yet pointed out, privately or publicly, one positive reason for adherence to the rule in this instance. it has all been various tautological statements such as those made in the last two posts

tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

WiseMarsellus wrote:
MAVanDriel wrote:On topic it was clearly the correct call. The tournament guide has been explicit on this point forever.
i do not contest that the rule exists. but adhering to rules in situations where doing so produces unjust and harmful results, whether this be in swccg or life in general, is antithetical to the good. no one has yet pointed out, privately or publicly, one positive reason for adherence to the rule in this instance. it has all been various tautological statements such as those made in the last two posts
I have been very critical in the past of tournaments having functions that are decided by general acclamation or even known by general knowledge. It puts new players at an incredible disadvantage and makes the community seem exclusionary. When I was new, reading the tournament guide and knowing that was the standard was what made me willing to travel to events.

Sure in this place none of the individuals who attended were harmed. But a bye going in such fashion contributes to precedent that insiders play by a different set of rules (noteworthy since you are on the TC (and do a fine job)). My answer is it harms many folks to undermine the rules. Especially right before an exceptionally expensive event like worlds.
Well, Bye.

devildogz0311
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by devildogz0311 »

I would love to see unique foil v slips that you can only get for winning a tournament or participating.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

I still think that if you go to your regionals or states or maybe both, then you should get a bye. The PC still gets their money from the tournament being hosted. The players get the invites to Worlds. This way day 1 is reserved for those that couldn't make it to one or both of the events. Day 1 would also be more about fun formats, and cool prizes.

Remaker

Post by Remaker »

So in the future if you only have 3 people at an event, just make up a 4th person to "play" that no one has ever heard of.

Got it. :???
darkjediknight11 wrote:remaker's probably right...

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

Remaker wrote:So in the future if you only have 3 people at an event, just make up a 4th person to "play" that no one has ever heard of.

Got it. :???

4th place: Homeau T Klown (0 vp -105 diff)
Jerry H

Image Image

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Changing the bye system to a "buy" makes the most sense. It offers a lot more legitimacy to the system, still generates revenue (possibly even more $$), and prevents these issues.

However I still think that the hype of earning a bye is still effective in creating an active worlds season during the summer through events and minimum attendance. Players still stress over getting a bye before worlds (even though anyone can get one on Friday.) They call/text and scrape up some friends once a year for an event so they can play at worlds.

If you changed it to a discount, people might not play or organize events as often. Overall participation might drop as well. If you made the discount steep enough it might generate more revenue overall, but could deter some people from attending. My guess is that you would see a few of those small 4 person events in areas fizzle out over time leaving the core 2-3 players in those groups that travel to events.

Regardless of the advanced notice between the two dates one thing is clear: 4 people played in Texas and 3 in CT. I think the question is what we value more, the legitimacy of the system or overall turnout across the country at events. I actually think the whole bye system is a sham, but it is still more effective at encouraging events and attendance than the discount alternative would be. Getting a bye is meaningless, but if it encourages just a few more 4-person tournaments a year, then it is making an impact on keeping the game alive.

I think the discount alternative would be simpler and make it easier for people who are growing more and more busy as they start families and do adult stuff to attend. However on the other hand, I think it does come at the cost of weakening the overall structure that encourages scheduling local tournaments in various regions.

In your case, I hope that the PC reached out and took the extra step to offer some sort of alternative that made everyone happy in the end. Low attendance for a well advertised event planned in advance is really bad for everyone and the super-weekends should be highlight events for the local scenes. (They are one of my favorite parts of the summer.)

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

On topic, I think for states or regionals that are announced sufficiently in advance, and follow all relevant rules, there should be no "minimum" attendance required for purposes of worlds byes. It's an unfair punishment to those that did make the effort to attend.

On the other topic, I generally like the current bye system. Yes everyone basically can play day two if they want, but it sure is a lot nicer to not have to grind through a bunch of events on Thursday and Friday to get a bye. But could it be tweaked a little bit too? Sure.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

mryellow wrote:If an event has a bye attached with it I think the bye should be awarded.

I am not privy to the discussion that took place at the Advocate level and am not pointing any fingers. However, I'd support changing this policy for the future.
agree 100%

I was very disappointed to hear that this decision was made.
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

Return to “World Championships 2016 - Aug. 11-15”