Xanth's Worlds TR

Princeton Clarion Hotel, 3499 Route 1 South
Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
kryptofis

Re: Xanth's Worlds TR

Post by kryptofis »

Thanks to Ben Kline and farming, I knew the card :)

Kryptofis

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

stevetotheizz0 wrote:Dude, I'm so happy you won worlds. I know how much you love this game, and it couldn't have happened to a better, or more deserving person. When it came down to the line, you played flawlessly and made the types of decisions that champs do. To be a player that picked up the game long after it was out of print, and win with some rogue deck choices and such a high level of play is an amazing accomplishment.

This is an awesome TR. It has everything. Details, game and deck insights, but most importantly it shows how classy you are as a player and a person. You managed to remember something nice about every player you interacted with in the community over the weekend and made them a part of the story. Its very clear how much you respect and value the people you come in contact with.

You, Barry, Lenny and Matt have got to be the best player group in the whole community. I mean having a partner write up your decklists, and another texting you deck choices throughout the weekend while opening his own business is amazing. Meanwhile Lenny has always been your right hand man in listening to your hair brained deck options and hunchbacked card choices throughout the year. You guys have always gone out of your way to make myself and others feel welcome and valued and I might not have stuck with the game early on if I didn't have a group like you guys nearby.

Congrats on the win!

Couldn't have said it any better. Stories like this are super cool to read and I'm very glad that all of the hard work you guys put in paid off. :)
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

X3

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Tom, I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm heartbroken for my teammate losing in the finals. But I have always loved your deck building prowess and you're a real good dude, so I really am genuinely happy for you. Creativity in deck building is my favorite thing about this game, and you (along with Reid obviously) are among the best ever in that category.

I watched the finals stream on my drive home, and seeing your perspective really taught me a lot about how those games went. I'm looking forward to congratulating you in person. Well done and huge congrats for your dream come true.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

Really great read. It's nice having such heavy insight into why decisions are made during both playtesting and play. Picking the mind of a now world champion serves as a great source of knowledge.

Also...the "yuck" on having to use maul and Dooku with stick made me happy.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Congrats Tom. You played extremely well. To be down to TK and Emil going into games 2 and pull off the wins is really impressive. I know I said this after you won, but I can't think of a better place for the signed banner to be hanging than your store.

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

gosh guys, I've been trying to type a reply, especially to Steve's comment, and I keep deleting it. I can't figure out how to put it in to words. I'm speechless. You guys make me feel like... like tearing up.
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Don't tear up your cards! You just won!
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

retwin316
LS Region: Corellia

Post by retwin316 »

Hail to the king! Lmao @ bhbm... what were we thinking! Probably the same thing I was thinking when I played watto in Seattle! Huge congratulations again, and I as well very much look forward to the next time we can hang out!

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

retwin316 wrote:Hail to the king! Lmao @ bhbm... what were we thinking! Probably the same thing I was thinking when I played watto in Seattle! Huge congratulations again, and I as well very much look forward to the next time we can hang out!
You never hang out Fred. You're always in your room working on tech...

retwin316

Post by retwin316 »

Awww, I will start hanging out more... obviously trying to work on tech in the hotel room is NOT working!

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

congratulations again, well played and wonderful to have such a strong ambassador for the game as the world champion
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Awesome, and very well written report, Tom. Very educating and insightful.

How about spending your hard earned cash on a trip to Europe, and becoming European champion as well? ;)
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

Shadow 14 wrote:Awesome, and very well written report, Tom. Very educating and insightful.

How about spending your hard earned cash on a trip to Europe, and becoming European champion as well? ;)
Will definitely do this one day... :-) Probably when my kids get a little older!

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

Great TR and again, congrats.

I made one mistake in our matchup and it cost me the game. I got greedy when I had just told myself not to get greedy with TTO (just let you deploy home one, do TTO damage, and stack a site or 2 with my ground force to try and get you below 20 - I was pretty sure I could not win the matchup beforehand). Well, at least I only lost 1 game all weekend, but with the way day 3 works, that's all you need to crash out

If you come to Euros you'd definitely fly home with a couple more foil cards...
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

Losing 1 game all weekend is solid. Great job, Emil!
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Darth_Link wrote: If you come to Euros you'd definitely fly home with a couple more foil cards...
That's true. You could say that. ;)
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

Deal.

Gravityshadow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Gravityshadow »

Congratulations again, Tom! Awsome performance and extraordinary TR.

Is there something like a foil addiction ? :D I hope to see you at the EC. Let me know if you need any help (flight booking, hotel,...)

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Post by Hutch »

Sorry it took me so long to read this. I'm slow :D

Congrats again! The few months I've been playing with you guys has been great! I've learned so much more from losing to the World Champ a dozen times than I have from the (very few) wins I've had against anyone else since returning. You, Barry, and Lenny are a great group of dudes.

Now about this "Sleeping with Lenny" theory...only for sale at majors or can I get a local for a discount? The new league season is approaching...
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

Return to “World Championships 2016 - Aug. 11-15”