Princeton Clarion Hotel, 3499 Route 1 South
Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
WiseMarsellus

second best tom at the event

Post by WiseMarsellus »

here is the pm i sent to maven.

1) how did you prep for this event

played a lot on holotable. originally we thought kyle wasn't going and actually we're still not sure, but either way he hasn't been around to test. so that left matt and i down one on our usual prep team, plus matt was in europe for a while. so we added a bunch of people to our team and it's never been quite so big. hayes, steve skillton, stephen celucci, cal alread, and of course ziemowit who we always prep with. we spent most of the time trying out various light side decks because we found the darks we wanted early.

the first issue was court. we kept having issues beating court with ls decks. we had an old allies that was doing really well vs the field but the minute we tried it against court it was a complete disaster so we shelved that for a while. then we tried a bunch of other lights: whap, wys, trm, old allies with speeders, senate. we went back and forth through all the builds of these decks and nothing really stuck. we could get whap to beat court sometimes, and it has of course a great match against tto and ie, but i never really liked it as much. but other people do so i think hayes might play it for example. whereas matt likes the old allies speeders, and steve the trm (or maybe old allies?) i've landed back on the wys. i think i've figured out how to beat court with it and i feel more comfortable with that deck than anything else. i really don't want to face tto though.

for dark i was thinking aobs early on, but with all the elis at endor we speculated that some lights might actually be packing quite a mercenary. which could instantly lose aobs the game and might scare me out of using one of my best cards. so i went back to ie and have been liking that. one issue i encountered at endor was a space whap with three must-grab interrupts: free ride combo, icbw, and we're doomed. i only had two grabbers and if they were able to loop any one of those interrupts they would win the damage race. so i added a third grabber to my ie in the form of tentacle. again i feel good playing this deck because it is the deck i have the most experience with and i don't think it has any really problematic matches.

2) what particular decks are you expecting to see well-represented

i'd expect to see a lot of court and whap. those would be my picks for the top deck for each side. because of whap i'm expecting less tto and hopefully that's not just wishful thinking. then i think we'll see decent amounts of ie, aobs, wys, and trm.

3) what particular matchups have you focused on - what do you believe is key for these matchups (note on this, I am not asking what decks you are playing, this is because the answer won't matter on air since it should be obvious)

i think i've spent the most time on the wys/court match. i think my matchup really improved when i stopped starting squadron assignments and started working with lmfbm. my original thought was that of course i need squadron assignments because how else can i compete with independent ships from reserve? but the thing is, space isn't the key to this game. it's ground. usually my ground strategy is deploying luke and using whatever interrupts i have to keep him alive. however, court nullifies the best card in my deck: dodge, by playing the ghhk combo to cancel the react away. so luke on his own is going to die most of the time, unlike against every other deck. the strategy, then, is to stack ground. sometimes you don't even need to attack with luke. throw a bunch of smugglers at their aliens. barrier doesn't do much when you're attacking with like theron nett talon karrde and the duros. but of course luke helps a bunch. clash of sabers is one of the best cards in the match. i'm also playing perimeter scan v which has been super clutch and is good against almost every dark right now, as well as 2x hear me baby and evacuation control. all those cards are priority pulls from imbats. i generally want to grab ghhhk in this match. running them out of ghhks is the best way forward because it is so amazing in this match. ghhks my beatdowns, cancels dodge, cancels nabrun. run luke run is also a major player in this match. i tend to just draw a few the first turn, maybe even the first two turns. court is generally a low damage potential deck so it gives you time. and i think my best stuff usually beats their best stuff.

that's pretty much the only matchup i've focused a bunch on. well, out of the decks i'm going to be playing. i spent a lot of time testing other stuff against court or whatever, but it didn't come out as well. also the whap space/invasion match was just brutal. can't even deploy ships!

4) thoughts on the new cards, and how they will impact your decks, and your thoughts on the meta

i teched the escape pod combo into wys in the hopes that it would do something vs tto. it really didn't. in the games where it saved 3-4 force i was so behind anyway that it didn't matter. wys, in order to win, needs to dominate the game. tto wins every time it's close or anything resembling a race. so it doesn't really up the percentages in the games where it is relevant. i am playing the new chewie in my wys and he is quite good. definitely an upgrade over chewie protector who i had been playing before. a second person who can come down to a site and make them afraid can be huge.

ie is not playing any new cards. i am somewhat hopeful that people will have exchanged their free rides for escape pod combos. escape pod combo is of course worse against me, but is better against most everything else, so one might rationally make that exchange to up their percentages against the field. the fewer free rides i see the better.

5) any particularly unique tech cards you are including for this weekend

the tentacle in my dark is pretty unusual i think. i could see that surprising people but really ie is a thirsty deck wrt grabbers. the perimeter scan v in wys is probably unexpected, but i think it's a fantastic card in the deck. boba fett bh is everywhere, as is blizzard 4, and the card is great against both. also it cancels trample which can be very relevant, especially for protecting chewie as he goes on the offensive against some at-ats.

6) Anything else you'd like us to know for the broadcast, possibly about world's in general, what you are most excited for, or anything we haven't asked about?

when you think about what wys is good against it probably isn't a great choice. but i can't think of a deck i have more confidence in. ie, on the other hand, should be favored against everything. i think we're still seeing a meta in which dark is the stronger side, but hopefully by less than in recent events

thursday

my mom had a stroke almost exactly two years ago. she has been participating in a speech study at uconn for most of the summer. 9am-1pm. today is the second-to-last day, she's done the therapy stuff and is now doing the testing stuff. well, technically they want her back in october. they want to see how she fares after an extended period of time without therapy. apparently people generally regress without therapy, but her (the lead researcher's) theory is that intensive therapy is better at preventing regression than less intensive therapy. so the idea is if you have a limited amount of hours pack them in together rather than spacing them out. she is not allowed to get outside speech therapy during this time period, but we've gotten so much free therapy from them it's very worth the tradeoff.

so that's what i'm doing. except as we go to leave for uconn we see the garage is empty and i'm going to leave in a couple hours, i'd really rather be sure my mom won't be faced with an empty house for the weekend. so while my mom is in therapy i'm on the phone most of the time. i manage to get my brother's number from my aunt so i text that, trying to discover what kind of coverage my mom lacks. apparently everyone in the family is busy this weekend. one aunt says she could take her to rhode island but the last day of testing is tomorrow and i've already arranged for my mom to be picked up from her home. i start checking with neighbors. rose from across the street is in newport but her son who i thought had joined the army but who i've been seeing around a lot will be home. leslie from down the street will be home. it's not someone there all the time, but at least there will be someone to get her dinner and tie her shoes.

i eat lunch because steve celucci and emil are coming down at like 130 to pick me up and idk if they'll have eaten or want to eat and asking them would make too much sense. we get home like 115 and i'm still trying to arrange everything. i go to leslie's house to give her all the details, she offers iced tea which i accept. unsweetened. just like cheerios. this has been the worst week of the year in terms of weather. bad timing for worlds. disgusting amount of heat and humidity. steve arrives. i tell him i'll be there in a minute.

leave leslie's house go home see steve say i'll be a few minutes go inside get my stuff tell my mom what's up go outside post a letter but the mailbox is full idk if that's an issue but i'm not going back inside again so i kind of push the received mail to the back and the outgoing to the front get in the car and we're set to go. i have to text all my relatives give them the update. turns out emil and steve haven't eaten yet.

willington pizza house makes the best pizza on earth. i'm not saying this only because i live by them. i love food and ranking things, i've given this some thought. i have never had better pizza. people who haven't had it or who don't live around here think i am exaggerating. but ask anyone in tolland county what the best pizza in the world is and they will give you the truth. i talk up the red potato pizza and so we get that. the sauce is sour cream, topped with red potatoes, cheddar, bacon, and broccoli. ok when i list it out like that it sounds weird but it is the best pizza in the world i am not kidding. our waittress is one of those people who looks 65 but i'm guessing was in her mid 20s, and she forgets to give emil and i our beers like five times. so far it looks like i have talked this place up too much but i am confident the pizza will conquer all. when it comes i say i already ate but i could help out with maybe a slice or two. i eat eight. we take two to go.

the gps wants us to take george washington bridge but oh * isn't it like $15 to cross? we're there and i'm like it's not worth searching for the lincoln tunnel let's take the hit we'll get you beers. it turns out to be free when leaving! man imagine if we had tried to find the tunnel.

hayes calls when we're about twenty minutes out and he wants us to pick him up at trenton and i put him on speakerphone and we try to figure out the solution but he keeps not understanding and afterwards calls us the worst speakerphoners ever. except that one was on you dude we were making sense. we pick him up at princeton junction. i field a call from the lady picking up my mom tomorrow as hayes gets impatient. we head to the hotel. there is an emil road and though we want that sign we decide to wait until we're settled in to steal it. chris christie if you're reading this and someone actually did steal that sign it wasn't us we didn't actually get around to it.

there is something on the right and hayes is saying it is the hotel but i'm looking around and don't see a hotel. they're like it's right in front of you and i say no that can't be it. they say look that's scott lingrell and i'm like no it must just look like him. they point out the sign that says clarion and i say are you sure that's the name of the place? this can't be the hotel. so i looked up the five stages of grief right now and apparently denial is the first one but i don't think it was that. at the time i genuinely thought we were at the wrong place. every hotel event has been at a nice, clean hotel, and this thing oozed filth from the outside.

the inside is worse. we get to the room and it immediately looks off. hard to place why other than the mold everywhere, except it is more than that. i call my mom and she reports that my brother came home after all so i update the rest of the family. we realize this place was originally a motel and the hallway we are in was once one of those outdoor walkway things and they just kind of threw down a carpet and walls. so the rooms all have windows looking out to the hall. which is kind of weird if you think about it like what if we were having sex. actually i have a story about that but it comes later. we seriously talk about getting a different hotel room to sleep at (this is where i would work in the bargaining stage of grief if i was trying to work that into the tr) but the convenience of being near the game room and in the same hotel as everyone else outweighs it. but not by much.

we get to the game room. lots of people playing sealed/cube. i have no interest. bill is playing some other game with his wife who i introduce myself to and forget her name. i wander around for a while and go to sit with the kafers and ask what they're playing. you don't know majestic rainbow (or whatever it's called)? uh should i? apparently everyone knows the game. they teach me the game and she tells me her name again. deanna. bill finds a broken combo at some point through the game. i'm like wait that can't be. deanna gets pissed at him. bill and i are like, hey if it's legal. i think this might be the difference between card players and everyone else. we're like hey that shouldn't work but if it does obviously you have to go for it. bill eventually caves and is like ok i'll just do the cycle once though he could have pretty much gone infinite. i find almost exactly the same combo and i'm about to exploit it because after all it's not like my wife is at the table but find out my combo doesn't work as well. bill eventually wins just in time to play in some sealed event.

hayes and steve return with food and i've heard whispers of hayes doing a tr so i'll let him tell the story of the forks. but i bet he won't give justice to how hard he interrogated deanna as to her name. it was legit five minutes of intense questioning and i'm like dude she's answered you. i rate my sleeping skills as a ten, which i draw way back from on the weekend. i am now willing to say i'm a ten in my own bed at night if it's dark, but for away games i don't think i'm anything special.

and that turns out true later in the night as i try to sleep but it doesn't happen right away. i wake up every couple hours, text kyle some other reason he should come to worlds, then go back to sleep. i finish the pizza at some point in the night. apparently hayes and i talk about swccg but i have no memory of that. they might not have realized i was asleep for the conversation.

friday

take shower it isn't draining but i think maybe the issue is that it merely drains slower than the water comes in. finish step out no whirlpool no movement no way i am reaching into the tub to pull the plug. i report the issue to the roommates. oh did i mention i'm staying with steve and hayes? hayes asks how high it is and i say idk 13 inches? wtf how long were you in there and i say 5 minutes? then mention that i'm not really a good judge of distance or time. so he asks ankle height? i say wouldn't it be nice.

hayes goes somewhere else to shower, steve and i get breakfast from the hotel. well, first we go through a couple doors and end up in the indian restaurant. completely deserted. this hotel apparently does not believe in locks. the restaurant actually looks nice though. and clean. maybe i'll try it. back at the hotel, the breakfast is free, and debatably still overpriced. afterwards we ask for a new room because of the shower thing. as she's looking for a new room hayes and steve are talking about alternate ways steve could shower and i'm shooting them dirty looks like please wait about ten seconds to do that we're so close. luckily they don't completely * it up and we get a fresh room that, i mean let's be honest, is still a piece of * but it's a 2 (maybe 3) instead of a 1.

it is a mirror image of the first room so hayes needs to sleep on what to me is the opposite side. these are the kinds of things i don't think about. i didn't even know until college the whole head thing. so the way the dorms were set up by default, they were split down the middle, and both sides progressed closet bed desk dresser. every person other than me (in those rooms who kept the default configuration) slept with their head on the closet side, closer to the door. i rotated based on idk what, but i think i was usually on the desk side. lots of times i'd lie on my bed using the computer from my desk and then i'd turn it off and sleep. i can't remember if anyone called me on it or i just noticed the pattern that everyone but me held to but either way it was strange.

at the game room they are cubing. i help set up the room a little, though truthfully gogolen did just about everything. i realize i am quite tired. i didn't sleep well enough last night. and after talking up my sleep game too. i think my sleepiness interfered with my memory of this day because i'm having difficulty with the details. chris kelly comes at like 1 and has my decks. i talk to a bunch of people, including steve yaegar who i haven't seen in many years. i ask around for anyone to get indian food with. i end up going by myself. i order something and the dude is like lol no eat this instead so i say ok. i also say i want a guinness and he's like lol no have this sam summer ale instead so i say * you give me my guinness. he keeps telling me he's sorry and that the sam is free, but dude if i was willing to drink the sam i would have. summer ale is the one seasonal i do not like.

i check chat from my phone. they are trying to do the streaming stuff. i promise to help out with that after i finish eating. and by eating, i mean, wow. i can't believe how good the food is here despite being associated with the horrible hotel. when steve and i wandered in earlier we were like wow this place actually looks nice, wtf. my theory is that they invest all the money they make by cut-rating the hotel into the restaurant, so it's disproportionately better. i get back they are setting streaming stuff up still. i do some stuff then get back to that. i am not good with technology. i mean i can follow directions so if there is good design i can navigate it. but sometimes there are no road maps. and i'm not going to intuitively know why we're dropping frames, or why the audio would repeat over and over. or why there was no sound, or why when i fixed the no-sound issue the audioloop started again. we call in for some assistance from raith and he remotes in and fixes stuff.

also we have an issue with the hotel and their bandwidth or something and rob has to go fix that so he's like run day 1. which would be fine except i'm supposed to deal with the new tournament software and i have no clue. i keep clicking on the names and i'm like wtf. adam comes and helps out with it and between the two of us we get all the matches entered, and i get round 3 paired up. adam shows me how the thing works and i'm able to enter round 3 mostly and it is working well. until rob returns and is like you guys did rounds 3 and 4, not rounds 1 and 2. ok wtf that was not our fault, why does the program even let us do the later rounds before the first ones are finished? i have an awkward rules question that is basically like some guy telling me that he doesn't know how to play his cards and i kind of feel bad about it but that's not what the judge is for.

we start the next round but i'm doing something else now. what am i doing? i have no idea. i mean, i'm sure i did at the time but can't remember now. the point is like half an hour into whatever thing i'm doing apparently everyone still assumes i'm running day 1 and i did not realize. they're like how much time is left in the round and i say, uh, half an hour.

mht told me on like tuesday that he wasn't making the team tournament. man i even had the team name picked out. team connada. get it? because of the geographies? i tell greg shaw this and he says its a good thing mht couldn't make it. instead i team up with steve celucci to form team mpc finals.

team tournament

match 1 vs nick and ryan

i play ie against nick reisch playing whap. steve plays whap against ryan jellison playing court. whap is the deck i least want to see as ie, but i think i still have a slight edge. it will be a close game, regardless of who wins. this is also the first of three times i play this match, so my recall of these three games is probably going to be the weakest of any in the tournament because they will have somewhat blurred together by the time of this writing. anyway, on to the action.

i believe we both do fairly normal things to start the game. i think he may have set up ric/bravo 1 on turn 1, along with the typical padme to the hallway play. i do a turn 2 flip with i think three secure sites and colonel wulf by himself at one other, with tempest scout 1 at the desert, i can't remember who was piloting. i had we're in attack position now in effect and two commanders on the ground, along with tatooine occupation, so i was set for quite a bit of damage. on his turn i believe he pays 3 to drain, flips and plays like sio bibble also to the throne room. i had topdecked justice to his drain. the card i want most of any in the entire match, so perhaps topdecking in that situation was inappropriate. but i am anticipating retrieving it with firepower, which will of course be huge. he, however, plays the free ride combo to cancel occupation. when i retrieve the occupation with firepower he thinks it was a silly play on his part but as i tell him afterwards it was absolutely correct. i will get more occupations out, but justice i just have the one, and it is actually more important.

i think i do get the second occupation right away. but damage is coming in a bit slowly as he projectioned two of my sites and his turn epp qui attacks piett and some other random, i think he swings and misses, or maybe i help that happen with close call? if i did do that though i think that's a poor play on my part, close call in hand may have just been better than piett on the table. and because on my turn i want to attack qui with veers, meaning piett will die in that battle anyway. my reserve deck has some low destiny which of course in this match is a good thing. in drawing two destiny i am almost certain to kill qui, but he barriers veers and that's that. piett moves away somewhere.

i'm pretty sure he doesn't do much else on his turn, just adds a bit to space and draws some? he leaves qui in front of veers. i attack padme and sio bibble with mara, a biker, and tarkin. i have like 8 cards or so in reserve i think and 2 2s, the rest being 4+. i remember thinking i was about 2/3 to hit padme. and my thinking was if i draw high in the first battle i could reasonably battle with veers against qui-gon, assuming i'd draw a 2. unfortunately i draw 4/2 in my padme swing and i just now realized i obviously should have tarkin-redrawed that 2 swing. that interaction like never comes up for me but yeah what a misplay. it actually would have ended up worse if i did it, heh, because the next card on top was the other 2, drawn for battle destiny. but yeah in reality the only way i miss amidala had i played it correctly would be if two of the top three cards were 2s, the other one being one of the 4s (i want to say it was like 3 4s, 2 5s, and a 6 but i also think this might be a false memory on my part. no way i actually remember that.) so anyway, he is immune, and he draws a 6 for his destiny, meaning i have to lose tarkin. and now veers, the unquestioned best card in my deck, is in front of a stupid epp and can't do a thing because every destiny left in the deck is too high. so i think that's it for my turn.

his turn he plays captain rex to the throne room and i want to say solo to colonel wulf's site? he has five cards remaining in reserve. and none of the cards in my hand is close call. i feel like he's trying to draw down to that 6 and kill veers in a qui battle. also i'm facing potential overflow at the throne room. so when he battles there i use my cease fire even though this means i can't swing at padme. rex does make forfeit -3, and i lost two to the cease fire, so assuming i get overflowed it is a gain of 1 but meh, not ideal. the more relevant consideration to me was that i'd cockblock his qui-veers kill and we talked about it after the game and yeah he was absolutely going for that. so anyway no swings but he does draw like 5/5 for battle destiny and cancels mine. so i'm down 21-6 so have to peel my guys and 3. qui again just stays in front of veers. and again when i do my ie peek there is no card in the deck below destiny 4, so once again veers is totally impotent. i think i trample solo or something, maybe deploy a couple guys to the courtyard? i actually have no idea what happened there. most of the rest of the game is a drain race/move phase maneuvering contest iirc.

key mistake on my part. i'm worried about his copy of trooper sabaac. i have no idea if he was actually playing it, but i was worried enough to pull the sabaac shield. actually, i'm not even sure that was a mistake, because if he indeed had been playing it i do need that shield. but it did end up costing me because that was my final shield pull, meaning i couldn't fanfare my tentacle to hand. i grabbed both his icbw (something special) and free ride (allegations), but the we're doomed is a looming threat and tentacle is nowhere to be found. i'm ahead in the damage race on paper but we're doomed changes that totally. he plays it once, but then makes a pretty significant mistake when he battles somewhere (zero recollection as to where) drawing the we're doomed for destiny and then burying it a bit under some used force from move phase. i think i've killed qui-gon finally at this point.

so we're doomed is like 3 down in reserve i think? so i want to take as many control phase actions as possible before he is able to threepio into it and therefore i do like two drains and he topdecks to both so i occupy then and he actually has to lose the we're doomed from reserve and wokling it back, which was a huge break for me. i can't remember anything notable that happens the rest of the game i think it's only like two more turns if that. pretty sure we do some chasing in space or something to minimize damage, maybe some guys stared at each other at the courtyard, or maybe that was where he fought that time? but anyway time is called and he ends the game with 10 to my 5 and i think we concluded that if we finished the game he wins by 6, so a close one for sure. although actually in retrospect, this was by far the most lopsided whap/ie game of the weekend. stay tuned for some close ones.

steve also loses to ryan's court, which i think is whap's worst match and the main reason i'm not playing whap. we're 0-2 but figure 4-2 could potentially make the finals, just need to win out. little did we know the team tournament was actually four rounds which is utterly insane. everyone says the same thing about the team tournament: it is tons of fun but it ends way too late. 4 rounds and a final, starting at 6 pm the night before day 2? that's just madness, i honestly would not have signed up if i had realized that. i think it must have been a typo.

match 2 vs hayes and chris

i am playing ie vs chris' profit, steve whap vs hayes' coruscant crv. i have a lot of faith in ie's ability to win the profit match.

game starts out normally. i set up my stuff, he his. he misses his threepio pull turn 1 and has to lando to the ac instead. but he does get three twixes. i do a moderate setup turn 2 but i think not quite a flip. just getting stuff onto the board, turn 2 flip isn't really that beneficial here as he'll just retrieve the damage anyway. his second turn is luke and ben, both with sabers, to the farm, mechanical failure on my atst there, and the battle clears both of my guys but i believe no overflow. i am not confident enough in my destiny at this stage to attack obi/luke with veers (plus don't want my mech failured vehicle to die), so i just set up at more at the sites he is not and flip with occupation. i actually can't reach all the way to the db with my landspeed 3, plus i'm not really interested in canceling his mech failure before he flips as i'd rather he not retrieve it, so i just load up a barich combo and move it to some other site. despite having 0 power i feel pretty secure there. so despite the early battle there it is incumbent upon him to disrupt me, as my damage beats his damage. he does flip turn 2 and then drains me for 3 because i totally didn't realize i would have to pull both battle plan and resistance subsequent to his flip. should have pulled at least one of the two prior. oops. he also gets two damage in as i have no clue where decree is, but that's not like, really an issue here. my turn i do the damage stuff and i think just draw a bit, maybe set up at one more site.

i believe he double projections (i got projectioned so much this weekend), cancels my occupation with free ride (grab), and makes me topdeck the two other occupations through his drains/profit. well then, that's not ideal. my turn i attack the ac with mara, add walker/veers to jaba's palace. mara hits han, and i only have one destiny remaining in deck. he tries to exclude mara, hoping of course that he fails and then will have one destiny to my zero. either way it lets lando survive, but in some instances it lets mara survive. i think on balance he should have not vibro-axed though, because killing mara was too important. he can seeking back han, but then he can't feasibly play han to the audience chamber because mara is still there. so he has to play han outside, where he is vulnerable to trample. and that is what he ended up doing. he also moved luke and lando in front of veers, keeping ben with han. which of course was not ideal for him but i mean if he doesn't have houjix he can't just leave lando in front of mara of course, nor can he really leave lando alone in front of veers. so he has to sacrifice immense board to the altar of my general.

and yeah that's what happens. drains roll in, occupation unfortunately does not. i strongly favor using battle deployment in this match from the jump, so no ao pings this game. drains were the thing. veers kills lando and luke, moves over and tramples han. which made for a pretty good turn. except on the other side of the table steve is reporting that hayes is crushing him, although it doesn't look too bad i take his word for it. if that game is over it doesn't help either of us for me to win mine: we'd be out of contention at 3 losses so why bother torpedoing hayes and chris? i'd like to blame my subsequent play on playing loose and being tired, but honestly i just kind of make mistakes from here on. like reading what has happened so far you should realize that i am beyond in control of this game. all i need to do is close the door but really it's like an automatic door and it's 3/4 of the way closed already i just need not to trip and obstruct the door.

he does some battling stuff and i think he like takes out blizzard 4 or something and moves over a couple guys to block more drains. he had a turn where he had an opportunity to flip me back but didn't think it was worth it, honestly that might have happened like two turns ago but the point is i stayed flipped and the move +1 text really got him all game. the thing is though even if he flipped me back i would have had no issue flipping again on my turn. i keep spending all my force and never getting around to canceling that mech failure and i really should have been playing safer. i have gmt + stormtrooper garrison at the ac and he's running away from those. he does have a couple good battles, including baiting me into a rlr that i obviously should have seen coming but even that didn't end that poorly. i'm doing some damage but not a ton, and obviously he is doing none as han is dead.

i'm pretty much assuming he has a jedi lev to get han back because i don't think there's a possible way he wins if he doesn't. he does eventually find the jedi lev but never plays it because i scoop that turn mostly because i want to go to sleep. we talked about it and agreed that he actually does have a chance still in a protracted game because of the way the board was looking. i think i understated how well he did on the turns subsequent to losing han. though maybe not idk he didn't really have anything to challenge veers or the garrison tarkin combo iirc. either way he takes this one and i get myself to bed.

saturday

this shower drains. this toilet only kind of flushes. not bad enough to roll the dice again. i go to get breakfast at like 630 but the hotel doesn't serve breakfast until 7. seriously bro? i hope that's only their policy on the weekends. i don't want to go back to the room because they're still sleeping so i go to the game room and it is unlocked. one of the doors is chained and someone last night must have had the brilliant drunken idea to reference the walking dead

but they * it up. they did

don't open
dead inside

like any rational person would, but that's not how it was in the one good episode of the show so i fix it. i clean up some, see an open bag of cheetos and man they are stale and after each handful i'm like that was gross i'm not having another one. steve is up so we get breakfast when it opens. today is also bad but they can't * up the waffle machine thing so that is at least ok. i pm rob my lists. fill out a name tag with all lowercase. it requires conscious effort. the man got to my handwriting too early, before the awakening.

day two

game one vs lenny rubin

my entanglements vs his old allies. he starts the 12-card hand. i'm anticipating the speeders version as that has been the strongest build of the deck in our testing and it is indeed speeders. i start the game by stacking the devastator a bit and moving it to jakku. this makes his flip far more awkward as now flying up the falcon isn't really a feasible way to occupy jakku. also i have an i can't shake him in hand and use it to pull ds615, who will let me search my force pile each turn and find the key cards in the match. i take justice for sure and i think veers as well, not sure what else. take the board game slow and build up my hand and resource advantage. which makes him of course less eager to advance his own board, because i save like 8 force turn 2. his turn 2 he does a bunch of speeder plays and stacks the falcon's site, but i'm totally cool with that. still taking my time to set up, i deploy executor and a bunch more guys on it, taking firm control of both systems. i believe this turn, his turn 3 (or perhaps 4?) he pulls the trigger on the home one to jakku, shuttling up a bunch of guys, leaving rey in the falcon at the 2/1 and a couple speeders at the 2/2, with a stalemate at the jakku system.

i'm not interested in battling at his system. i want to do a holding pattern there and attack one of his sites. he needs to control two sites to take advantage of his damage reduction text, and i want occupation firing this coming turn. so i get occupation going with a couple randoms i think, i reinforce devastator, veers attacks the falcon (i'm holding close call in case he draws well) and i shuttle a bunch of guys down to my tatooine sites. i draw a 5/4 for destiny from which he subtracts 2 so the falcon survives but rey dies. which is honestly fine. veers living was the important thing here, because now he challenges a site lenny badly needs.

it's mostly a holding pattern for me here. he is doing 2 damage a turn to my much more (10+ some turns i think, unless did he projection me also? maybe he did) and in order to turn it around he needs to kick me off either the jakku system or the 2/1 site. and justice stops him from killing me at the system, because he has like ackbar poe hera anakin up there but as long as i can keep limiting him i'm fine. i run out of justice eventually but i think i have one turn where i command and eventually my damage is way too much and i have a pretty comfortable victory.

1-0

game two vs joe gianetti

and he flips over tto. sigh. he misses his endor shield pull, which is quite the break for me. generally against tto i most want falcon melas and moving to attack position. this protects me against darth maul which is the biggest threat, and i can hopefully make a good fight of it. i have like two of those pieces between force and hand, and i have a tunnel vision active so i draw a few and get that. he does saber 1 baron saber 4 ozzel to tatooine, with of course baron's gun. but he doesn't have the force to move the death star to orbit so i'm not facing a whole lot of pressure. no black sun fleet, no independent ships yet, so i go with mirax to kessel lsjk with saber to cantina.

i don't expect both of those drains to actually occur but it involves him responding to me rather than the inverse. and i'll probably get one drain of 3 in. he is low on hand cards too so i feel pretty safe. and indeed he challenges me at neither location. he plays scythe 1 to the endor db, moves jerjerrod out flies scythe 1 up, makes the second scythe move to the death star ii, and moves the death star ii to tat. he told me later he had to get jerjerrod up because he had seen the nabrun in my deck, but actually the bunker game text prevents me from moving in there even with nabrun.

the result being i now get to drain 3/3. and might as well attack tatooine. i tv for theron nett v, falcon han theron fight he all powers which i was kind of hoping he didn't have but wasn't surprised to see. i play moving, he grabs. he shoots i cancel with theron. then battle destiny i draw like 6/5/1 and he draws a 5 so he actually wins the battle. i try to move to the death star ii but he stops me. i was so convinced moving just made the ship hyperspeed = 0, but i must have been thinking of something else because i read the card now and it says the ship cannot move. i ask aglets if it's been errataed because i'm sure i've been playing with the hyperspeed = 0 text on holotable but nope i'm just wrong. so that's not what i wanted to happen at all. and then on his turn he laterals and goes scythe 2 with jonus so my three destinies only kill one character this time, while i have to lose captain han to the battle damage and maybe i topdeck a few? he then sends the ds2 to kessel, moves scythe 1 out, shoots pulsar skate, and then sends the ds2 back.

i do get to verify his deck and see that he's straight space which i probably should have figured out earlier. this information changes everything. i've been misplaying the whole game. he's playing like the hb weapons deck of the dark side. he's not trying to race me like i would normally expect of a tto. he wants to kick me out of space entirely and then do drain and tto damage at his leisure. and he's going to use proton bombs to collapse my interior sites so he can do that. and me having cut planetary defenses just before the main event when i realized i had failed to pack your ship.

so with this in mind my turn around i deploy like talon karrde on the falcon and a couple smugglers at the other tatooine sites. draining 3 with luke again. and i kind of think another thing odd about this deck. so i pick up his objective and look at the combat response underneath. sure enough there is no v slip, he's tallon rolling. but i have the it's a hit. his turn he's still doing almost nothing in the way of damage. ds2 is at kessel, his ships at tat. i icbw his tat drain. he plays scythe 3 to endor, moves ds2 back to endor, scythe 1 joins and tries to shoot but again i cancel with theron. he tallon rolls but i grab and cancel with it's a hit. he tallon rolls again and falcon dies.

but i'm so far ahead in the damage race. pay 9 to drain 5, draw a couple, go. i icbw his drain again he gets his proton bombs set up at tatooine and heads his ships/ds2 over to kessel. i all wings for outrider but then decide against attacking him in space. i'm so far ahead in damage, why would i not just keep ground draining? i don't activate enough to do a reasonable outrider as well. so i lose track of my icbw for no good reason. so i pay 9 to drain 5 again and he's down to like 12 life force or something while i'm in the mid 20s. but if he collapses my cantina/db, and his db, i'll be left with only the farm drain. he might be able to win in those circumstances, but i just don't see how he has time for it. literally or in game terms, becauase there's like five minutes left in the game. he drains at tat but i control it from lost meaning he doesn't get to collapse a site. i do that again the next turn, and the turn after when he is finally able to try to collapse the site i wesa his destiny 5 and cantina stays. i drain him out the next turn.

2-0

game three vs joe pinto

entanglements vs whap. oh man i think i actually did a pretty good job remembering what happened in my game against nick reisch but i'm skeptical about this one. here goes.

oh jeez. i have no memory of the start of this game. or the middle. i don't think he ever attacks me on the ground. i think i set up relatively lightly there? he definitely converted my admiral's order early and then i never found it again until late. he has a massively hard time finding a free ride combo, despite playing two. we actually have tim simon come over to verify his deck, making sure that the card is indeed in there and not like in his deck box or something. joe tells me later that the bottom card of his force pile was one free ride and he was super frustrated at me for refusing to pull secret plans so he could spend that card on a weapons display. as whap he of course had to save one force during my turns, and i didn't play secret plans because i was hoping to possibly get a firepower retrieval eventually. at some point i wmaop for justice and that is of course useful in a few battles. we fight on the ground a bit and i manage to keep him from extending his territory on naboo. i get the full gamut of grabbers out, tentacle his icbw, something special free ride when he finds it, and use the real grabber on we're doomed. people are like wait did he say tentacle? i wonder when the last time anyone played that card was.

to the end. i'm doing lots of damage he's doing a decent amount. he's ahead in the life force race but i'm catching up. like i'm way behind. there's this dynamic that happens a lot where ie wants to maximize its damage up to a certain point but then late game it wants to maximize its turns. ie damage is a lot more passive then whap damage. whap has to control locations, ie has to occupy. so late game ie becomes the damage mitigator. naboo drain can obviously not happen, so you have to be chasing in space. and whap has to run away and sometimes has to land their ships and guys to stop some drains, and then the space is even weaker and so we do a lot of that dance. i beat up ric olie on the ground but have to ignore anakin. i'm vulnerable in a few places but he doesn't have enough life force to battle all of them. in the end of the game you have to take the number of turns you think are left in the game and double it. we play probably 5-6 turns at the end of the game where it is just not worth it to have cards in hand. that life force is too valuable as force to move cards around, to retrieve, to battle, to draw destiny. it is no longer a game of hidden information. everything is in play, it's just a question of moving the pieces. he's down to pretty like damage a turn with his throne room drain, a hallway drain, and the objective ping, while i'm retrieving a trooper each of my cycles. he gets me down to 2 cards. i spend one of those two move one of my biker scouts at the hallway to the courtyard, blocking drains at each location. i retrieve a trooper with my other force. he does two damage, bringing me down to one. and i win the game on my next turn, by a difference of a single force.

3-0

game four vs jon chu

justin told me between games that if his wys was paired up against jon's tto that he was not even going to bother to play it out. he'd scoop immediately. it was that unwinnable. i decided to take my chances. but seriously? the one thing i wanted to do in this tournament was to avoid playing against tto. three of my first four games are the worst possible matchup for my decks.

he does a normal first turn. i draw my first turn. his second turn he finishes building the ds2, adds the effect, plays bossk v in hound's tooth v to tatooine along with black 2 v. i take about five seconds to realize there is not a combination of cards in my deck that will allow me to contest him there. the thing about the tto/wys match is that wys needs to dominate the * out of the game in order for it to be close. that sounds like a weird sentence but it's true. as wys is kicking tto's ass everywhere tto is still outdamaging it. wys needs to crush it hard and fast and even then tto pulls out massive damage by like deploying a ship to space and that's it. so i have to beat a tto without contesting its space. this means taking no prisoners. desperation play mode engaged.

random ship to kessel, smuggler smuggler smuggler ground. go. he only has a three card hand. this is a pretty good damage setup. and i mean if he doesn't back up his space at all maybe i can battle him, if i get lucky and draw 5+ i may open a chink in the armor. he attacks my cantina character with epp maul, i dodge. his ships and the ds2 go to kessel. lsjk attacks maul, deflection first swing dodge from lost the second. he draws a 6 and no saber so lsjk dies, move my smuggler back over. the second epp maul blows up the cantina with overflow and i scoop.

3-1

at least this game was quick enough that i could go get lunch. step out into the most brutal heat/humidity combo. but i don't have time to get indian. go to jersey mike's, get a buffalo chicken wrap because i think that will be fast but apparently they grill the chicken after you order. which is nice in theory but this tournament is running so quickly that i'm not sure i'll get back in time for the next round. i get it done finally and walk back with bill kafer and john anderson who btw were at the store also. scarf down sandwich upon return. they are out of water, again. this hotel is like shocked that a group of 65 guys needs constant watering. it should be an absolute default that you send pitchers of water up at regular intervals, especially if your air conditioning doesn't work. instead they have like three pitchers and we have to go down to remind them every single time.

game five vs greg shaw

entanglements vs greg's wys. greg shaw is one of my absolute favorite swccg opponents, in fact he might be my #1 favorite opponent. i'm generally a very serious player while the game is ongoing and rarely engage in small talk or anything distracting. somehow i find that impossible against greg, but in the best way. loose and light games that are still very well played.

normalish start, including ds615 from i can't shake him who is of course huge. i start justice in this match over mob points. my philosophy is that there are two equally valid ways to approach this match from the wys standpoint. one way is to attack tatooine relentlessly and rely on the fact that your cards are individually better in space than dark's cards, and that you're likely to kill theirs at a faster rate than they kill yours. if wys can kill the devastator the game just ends right there. and if ie doesn't start justice, that gameplan becomes that much better. i think if ie does start justice wys needs to have an exceptional space plan in order to go for the attack tatooine plan, but if they don't it is very much valid. therefore i start justice so as to shut off one avenue for wys victory, as well as being obviously a good card in the match.

the other strategy is what greg went with: start with ships to kessel and focus most of your resources on the ground. ie can then either try chasing light space to kessel, thereby denying their occupation, or they can take the pain of the kessel drain. either option is fine, and the game seems to turn on how well wys can utilize luke. so he takes his time turn 1. i kind of think about this for a while, and elect to do like tarkin someone to cantina and emperor/piett db transits over to the other db. i have no clue what i was thinking here. i was regretting it as i was doing it but still somehow went with that play. i think the better play would have been to save force and wait another turn. there was no reason to hurry. if he has clash for emperor i straight lose the game with that play.

he does punish me but fortunately not quite that badly. (bad. badly is an adverb, so to say he punished me badly is to say that the mechanism by which he punished me is broken.) lsjk to fight emperor and palpatine, two smugglers to fight my two leaders. result is he clears me and luke survives. he runs to tatooine. btw in the first six turns we probably play six admiral's orders. quite a chain. on my turn veers attacks luke, close call in hand. i expect luke to dodge but he doesn't have it and luke dies.

from there i don't really have a clear memory of the game. he plays a lot of smugglers and we do some more fighting on the ground but i have a huge development advantage on him, justice puts in a lot of work, and battle deployment is usually on the table. i am set up all over tatooine and he doesn't have sufficient characters or force to flip me back so i take control and do huge damage and put the game away in short order. may not have started well, but finished so.

4-1

this tr went too long to fit into one post

tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

WiseMarsellus

Re: second best tom at the event

Post by WiseMarsellus »

game six vs hayes hunter

this game is on camera. i play wys vs hayes' ie. he starts justice, as i believe is correct. he starts out with a bunch of guys on the ship, i start out drawing and saving. he plays blizzard 4 and i have to think quickly. (quick. what? quickly's an adverb, who taught you grammar?) i have perimeter scan v in hand, and i probably want to cancel trample with that, but i also want to slow his ground development. perimeter scan stops one character from reserve. i'm not sure even now as i am writing if it is the correct play but i do perimeter scan it. he transits piett over and shuttles blizzard 4 up. so every one of his cards is at the tatooine system.

i go elsewhere. wedge pulsar to kessel, lando mirax to cantina, luke to farm (for -1!). two used pile searches, one to get that mirax, the other gets chewie. i think had i thought it through more i would have known i would definitely do those things, so i should have played luke first, then mirax then lando. though i think i take approximately the same cards no matter what? he i can't shake hims for ds615 who is great in this match. which means he'll probably have a mara to kill my cantina stuff but i mean mara is going to happen at some point and she's going to be good so might as well take the hit. i hold onto the admiral's order because i want to play it at some point where it's going to matter, and his hand is so small. he shuttles down blizzard 4 with piett passenger only, moving the rest to kessel. so he's heavy on space light on the ground.

which works well with the chewie i have in hand. drain 2/2, two random smugglers then chewie, hit blizzard 4, he has to justice for pure ghhhk reasons, which is always nice. i had seen trample earlier in a destiny draw so knew it was safe to attack with chewie. also melas to cantina (pulled with my chewie imbats), move to tat. still don't play ittl because his hand is so small.

MISTAKE! he attacks tatooine with executor ozzel elsek barich, which he definitely could not have done had i converted his ao. with his ds615 pulls i probably should have anticipated something like this but really i did not see it coming. i moving just for the power, but it's still wedge ship and like 7? which is bad but not terrible. i use hftmf out of lost as like an icbw of 1 but then he close calls my destiny. truthfully i may have been better off declining, thus denying him the barich draw. at least it got close call out of his hand. he plays the close call as basically a lost interrupt that says lose 3 force.

and now i have a decision. i have chewie ellors at mos espa, lsjk saber at farm, melas at cantina. i can pay 9 to drain 6, draw some save some. or i can try to get back into space. he is heavy at both systems, still has two justice pulls. but his hand is small he has no force saved. if i do get into space though i don't need to win. i just need to hold him off and make him commit more, meanwhile i get free drains. he's so concentrated in space that he has no damage coming at me. i do end up going with falcon captain han outrider dash to tatooine. but i think, in retrospect, that was wrong. i should have simply paid to drain. because he has so many guys in space, the only way for him to get ahead in this game is to do some shuttling down. the impetus to change the game is on him. so i should drain this turn, and only when shuttles some guys down do i want to go to space.

however, back to reality. he fights lsjk with veers and i get a lucky 7 draw off the top and i'm glad he's used close call. he fights in space and i have to lose captain han. which i really should have seen coming, because now i have like nothing for space. and my hand is lsjk rlr, so....lsjk to space i guess? actually him killing my lsjk kind of let me stay in space a little bit, so that worked out ok for me. i kind of treat him as the 9 forfeit and that's it, i draw for some cards, wokling captain han, i'm ready to get them back to the system once i forfeit luke.

except none of that happens, as he overwhelms my tatooine space. except he shouldn't have been able to do that, as overwhelmed doesn't work when a jedi there. he flips me back, moves devastator back and shuttles down a bunch of guys to one site. which is kind of strange but i do have a semilarge hand and life force still so he could be concerned about being attacked. and wanting to flip next turn. so again, as he's concentrated on two locations, i go elsewhere. i tunnel vision for the captain han i retrieved and flash him for the falcon, falcon goes to kessel, random smuggler to the db, lsjk to db. holding rlr.

which gives me complete control of the game. hayes takes a turn to flip but it is not hard at all for me to flip him back, and hayes here i think looks at his phone and someone watching must have texted him because he's like oh * i cheated, shows me the overwhelmed. which honestly i think was good for me because i may have fared worse in that battle. but idk, i think either way i win that game. i had so much of an early ground lead and resource lead.

5-1

game seven vs reid smith

my wys vs reid's ig. i had looked over at reid earlier in the day and saw a jawa pack and thought that was weird, and that i should make sure not to save 3 force against him. i should have realized it wouldn't just be a jawa pack. on turn 2 i do falcon to space, luke to cantina, lando to db. i'm holding rlr and dodge, save two force. except he wmaops for broken concentration, pulls rtic hweii with the audience chamber. uses 1 from me to put my remaining card on top of the deck. first strike. deploys to the docking bay jabba, epp dengar, and bossk v. battles. i can't use any of my interrupts. he shoots lando, doubles bossk, draws two destiny and it's lando and 24. i mess around for another turn but the game is over and i'm quite disappointed.

i think that was my worst play of the weekend. lando and luke separate and there had so little upside, and such obvious downside. i should have taken more time. if i'm solid in two locations i think i outdamage him and make his tricks far less relevant. i think that was a game i had all the tools to win and threw it away with terrible play. and now i'm faced with having to play a game 8 win-and-in, and really hoping i'm not facing like mht or something in that final game because there's nothing worse than having one player miss the cut by virtue of losing to their friend.

5-2

game eight vs hayes hunter

which is what is about to happen. either hayes knocks me out or i knock him out, and neither prospect gives me much joy. i play the ie/whap match for the third time on the weekend. and again i think i'm going to have a really difficult time remembering the details here, or at the very least the order of things.

i'm pretty sure i just pull tentacle with fanfare before even activating turn 1. i need those three grabbers in this match, and i'm pretty sure he's not playing sabaac. do a normal setup. so does he. i think i go extremely light to tatooine, can't remember why. believe i'm holding trample all game? so tempest scout 1 can go wherever he attacks and trample something there, or if he tries to attacks tempest scout 1 first i can trample the thing he sends and still be able to react at the other location.

one of the weird things about the whap matchup is you need to find a turn where you can make the entirely useless play of deploying the executor to tatooine. which is awful, right? you spend 12 (usually 11) force to do something that does not promote your game plan at all, meanwhile he's probably doing 5 or more damage to you the next turn and will use his force in such a way as to actually advance the board. but the thing is, near the end of the game, you absolutely need two ships. you need to be able to block the naboo drain without sacrificing occupation, and though it sucks to essentially time walk yourself it has to be done.

cool moment: i try to wmaop for justice with my final 3 force. it's not in there so i take something special instead. on my turn i peek at the top four and simply flip them over onto the table without explanation. it takes hayes a second to register but he realizes i took justice and deployed it, stacking the remaining three cards.

at some point he deploys epp qui with proficiency at the hallway. throne room is padme sio mcnulty so attacking it is pointless, and attacking qui is scary. mara goes to the courtyard, i start chasing in space earlier than i might want to because the qui drain is too much damage. if i don't stop the naboo drain we end up about even on damage and if we tie damage whap wins. he cancels my occupation once with a free ride, which i of course grab. but that was his only free ride. he icbw another turn of occupation damage, and that goes on tentacle. something special is waiting for we're doomed, but he topdecks either that or threepio and i am quite pleased. i forget to drain with mara at the courtyard one turn. he had moved sio to the hallway so it was only for one, but still. it was so far away spatially from the rest of my control phase actions. later in the turn/the next turn i kind of suspect i forgot to drain and indeed that is confirmed after the conclusion.

the drain race is not going in my favor. the qui-gon drain is too much to take. i have no option but to move mara in and hope doing so does not lose me the game. i do have close call still in my hand, and indeed when he swings i can close call lost a weapon destiny to protect mara's forfeit. i hit sio and use justice to ensure a qui-gon clear, and after all that i only have to lose mara and 1.

again, like the game against joe pinto, the end of the game comes down to moving the board around and managing available life force. and again, it is extremely close. i think azure angel lands at one point. i really cannot remember what these final maneuvers were. and at the end it looks to me like it may come down to lost piles. i ask hayes for a count and perform one of my own. he has 37 in lost to my 20something. a turn goes by and time is called, but we have extra time i can't remember why i think hayes was missing at the start of the round. it is hayes' turn and he can't quite get me to the life force count he needs. when he finishes i remark that it's safe to say this will be the last set of turns and start doing some thinking.

it looks to me like we'll both have 3 life force at the end of the game. i have 3 in life force now, plus one in hand i got from justice and honestly for that reason i don't think he should have battled me. i use 1 to make some move to block a drain, use 1 to retrieve a trooper, and have no use for the final card so i draw it. i lose 2 from hand, one for the objective ping and one for the throne room damage. but that's it, we both have 3 but i have the smaller lost pile and i would end the game on my next turn. so you could say this matchup can be close: today i won two times, by 1 and by 0.

6-2

which puts me in 4th place. i play 5th place tom haid the first round. i quickly decide that i have no way to put him on anything, and i don't think he will tech for me hard. i know him as a creator and an innovator, i don't see him as someone who wants to react to their opponent. so i decide just to play the decks i feel best about. which is easy for dark: ie. but wys is my ls, except i played that today anticipating tto would have rotated out of the meta a bit. except like everyone played tto today. emil justin tom jon. half of the top 8. sticking with wys just isn't safe.

i get dinner at the indian place again, with mht. we start to talk decks but then emil, my potential round 2 opponent comes, and we stop that. and enjoy the food immensely. we all apparently get the whitest food item on the menu but hey it is delicious. mht, self-proclaimed beer snob, gets a blue moon. gross.

i start thinking about qmc. i haven't played qmc since the mpc because i felt like playing wys at endor, and then the court matchup was so bad that we didn't explore it much at all. but pretty much no one played court day 2 (or so i thought at the time). qmc has a decent tto match, and is a pretty solid deck that i have some experience with. i played it briefly day 1 when i had to take over playing for rob so he could work on the stream. go to mht's room, which you have to leave the hotel to get to. take his qmc deck and talk briefly but sleep is more important, i tell him i'll see him in the morning. he borrows my phone charger because he forgot his. now sleep.

sunday

i still have to build qmc. lots of new cards to go in. rey for sure, maybe solo probably solo. poe? escape pod combo? keep your eyes open has to be great. i want to go up to 2x harc seff v. i had one each at the mpc and too often you miss half the combo on turn 1, then the other half turn 2. you can get away with that if you play squadron assignments, but without beldon's eye it is too much of a liability. i get breakfast, see steve yaegar there. eat with him and chat, he has to go back home but promises to make it to more events in the future. i hope so man! head back to my room, text chris kelly see if he wants to chat about making the deck. he's in and so we meet up and talk some shop, look at the options. make some changes, cut to 60, draft 1. chris goes to eat breakfast i text rob and mht. i ask them if they're up and rob responds yeah but i don't want to be. so i say ok go to sleep but he's like no sup and will come to my room to work on the qmc. we talk qmc a lot. here is our conversation as related by my text conversation with chris kelly.

ck: are you good with cards? did you want to grab breakfast?
tk: breakfasted already. thinking chewie?
ck: hahaha. i thought we felt he was too expensive?
tk: yeah idk i'm back and forth
ck: i can bring one if you're on the fence
tk: and maybe jedi lev?
ck: will do. but not sure i get that- is it just to retrieve a lost ackbar or luke or pucimer?
tk: more the used thing i think
tk: so many characters
ck: idk. you can get whoever you want in your hand anyway and i think you kind of just live with your destniy being bad. what would you take out for it?
tk: it's just to have it mostly, i want all orion's i think
ck: orion?
tk: haha
tk: options
tk: sry to keep doing this one at a time, but sense?
ck: ls? i *may* not have that. i'll check.
ck: disregard i have one.
tk: another barrier? mht has now talked me into x3
tk: and alter?

of note: when i was with chris we had decided to go down to one barrier, three paths.

steve's phone won't charge. he and i have identical phone chargers so possibly i loaned mht steve's charger, and his just won't charge on mine? mht brings back the charger and steve is able to charge his phone on it, while i can charge on mine. works out. justin is awarding a gold lsjk episode 7 image to the winner today, a silver to the runner-up. holy *. not only does chris kelly love foils more than anyone, lsjk is his favorite card. i can't imagine how awesome it would be to get him that lsjk. i still mostly want to win worlds because of the whole competition thing, but suddenly the prize is also a huge incentive. i'm not exaggerating when i say that is the coolest card i've ever seen.

scott calls me over. real quietly. you're missing anger fear aggression in your deck. and i'm having flashbacks to the last time scott deckchecked me and told me to add a card to the deck. but i have 60 in deck this time, and indeed i do need to add the afa. i like how he called me over all quiet-like when it is literally the least possible information you could give: every player at the event plays that card.

quarterfinal match vs tom haid

game one

i elect to start dark first. i'm not actually sure why. i'm more confident in dark. maybe that's the whole reason. tom plays qmc.

key cards in my opening hand are elsek ds615 occupation and mos espa. so i have a ton of options. i can piett for we're in attack position now, play ds615, move to bespin, and work the resource advantage/card selection game. moving to bespin can be nice in spots because the -1 deploy from the system lets you be aggressive on cloud city, which can often be a winning strategy. i could do something similar, but staying at tatooine, trying to do a solid turn 2 flip with resources left over. i find that one ds615 pull is not worth the two early force required to move devastator to and from bespin. you need to get at least two out of it and preferably more.

or i could do what i ended up doing, which is the most aggressive play available. pull the exec db with iao, the mos espa db with ie. piett goes to exec db, pulls battle deployment which pulls tempest scout 1 to mos espa db. then ozzel to devastator, elsek to desert, ds615 to mos espa. occupation. piett shuttles to tat db and i flip with no force to spare. this sets up seven damage turn two as well as a reasonable board, but it wasn't a slam dunk. i do it without hesitation if i have veers or a command, because i can pull a walker from deck to counterattack with. so i want to force him to spend his first turn incompletely contesting my first turn, and then respond after by still doing damage and wiping out his plays. i have nothing at all if he attacks piett's site: piett dies on board. but i decide to do it anyway because i evaluate qmc's chances of profitably contesting me early as low, and even if he does it throws off his gameplan.

on his turn he flips with harc+overseer, deneb both, and i think kfc. he uses the flip side to play his db and then puts yoxgit there. i think the yoxgit play is pretty obviously a mistake, and tom mentions afterward that he thinks even playing the db was an error. deneb both is pretty annoying however. on my turn i get a command with the peek, though unfortunately veers and blizzard 4 are both active, so i can't attack yoxgit as aggressively as i like. i use the command to get thrawn, play thrawn to his db, he thinks for a while but allows. i add tempest scout 3 from reserve and battle, he peels like four more or so. i'm now more worried about the piett situation so i move my guys to tatooine and i think save 3, so i can save 1 during his turn (deneb both).

see the thing about deneb both is she makes saving for grabbers a lot harder. i always need a force in his turn because i need to grab free ride the first time it is played. i took a gamble turn 1 that he wouldn't openhand free ride and it turned out he didn't have it. but now that he's flipped that is not something to rely on. for the time being though. he sets up pucimir and others at the two interior sites and i have nothing to contest it. which remains true after my control phase peek. so this turn i'm a bit worried about ozzel by himself at tatooine. i have executor in hand but no other pilots to send at overseer. so this is my executor turn, make a couple moves and shuttles in order to have my guys in the optimal places. i use and/or draw all my force. with pucimir in business i'd need to save 5 to save 1, so i resign myself to an ungrabbed free ride combo if he manages to pull it.

he does. and buries my occupation under a bunch of other stuff. on a verification i also see an escape pod combo so i decide occupation will never be worth playing this game, i'm going to have to get it done with drains. and battle damage. i start encroaching on his cloud city territory. vader to fight 3po deneb both pucimir. he doesn't barrier even, he's obviously saving it for specifically mara. vader kills threepio and deneb both, harc survives. he has cloud city celebration now and i don't want to mess around about canceling that: both my ships move to bespin. at this point he controls one cc site with an assortment of scrubs while i control four tatooine sites, am favored at another cc site, and am dominating bespin. i am very much in control.

or so i think...

he landing claws overseer, which thankfully doesn't allow celebration to stay on the table. but does stop me beating him down and is about the only way he could have stayed in space. then when i attack pucimir etc with mara he finally barriers. i grab mostly for the one force loss. i still have tentacle and something special. he doesn't have a single site now and i think i'm up to five and the two systems. he does some maneuvering, think he has a beat group to tatooine but a trample on yutani pulls that up short. he grabs. solo gets in front of just tempest scout 3, poe to his db.

totally fine. i win this turn. well maybe not 100%, but pretty much. do a bunch of drains, he icbws one, i tentacle because why not. he plays we're doomed. *. well, at least threepio is dead. but i was about to beat up solo hard with a motti/garrison combo. i do it anyway but because of we're doomed he takes no overflow. great timing on the interrupts on his part. and bad play on mine. why would i not have gone after poe instead of solo here? poe i could have overflowed for a couple, plus i'd rather take out his cc: db than my tat one. he gets to drain me for 2 with a lone poe there, which is pretty embarrassing. also he jedi levs threepio! and deploys him, meaning we're doomed now stops all my damage except that first drain each turn.

all of a sudden a win by the mid-20s is looking like a mid by the low-teens, or maybe even a timeout. i need to find something special or wmaop (to find something special). but i consistently fail to do so. he's not actually doing damage at this point because he doesn't control locations, but i have to play quite a few more cards than i would have liked. i think i manage to do about 1 overflow by attacking poe with blizz4 and two bikers. and we go back and forth. i think mara dies along with one overflow, but so do a couple of his characters. threepio is not among them. i finally find something special planned and he can tell even before he sees it because windmill slam.

and here is where tom haid earns my swccg sportsman of the year award. i'm worried that we're close to time, and i say something that, while true, was not exactly diplomatic. "now that something special is out i win in two turns guaranteed. it should be obvious to you if you have anything to prevent that so i don't see the need to take time on your turns." he says to me he's trying to figure out if he can get a drain in, and he does make that effort but is unable to. of note is that he hurries up immensely once the game is decided in actuality. it was still a complicated board state so i don't think anyone would have blamed him at all were he to take his time more liberally at the end, and a timed loss would have netted him like 8 extra diff for the second game of the round. but he did not, and it was pure class.

win +14.

game two vs tom haid

i'm playing qmc vs his bhbm. i see the match and i'm feeling good. qmc crushes hd in my experience so i don't see why bhbm should be much different. except he's starting combat response v, so maybe not the standard bhbm mains. he leads with emperor and emperor's power. i beldon's eye for harc seff, land it at db from hand, move into the upper plaza corridor (pulled via obj). i take a couple more turns setting up stuff. luke and rey join harc. i now have all the stuff for home one. but he has saber 1 and black 2 up in space and it's annoying but i have leaderships and yoda if it comes to that.

so this might not be the biggest mistake of the event. or maybe it is, when i think more. but it was certainly the most important one. i deploy home one/ackbar now. and fly up harc/overseer. i have the leadership and two alters, so i'm thinking his plan is to sense my leadership and draw the three destiny anyway, which i'd foil. but stop and think for a second here. all he needs is one short range and he has destiny 6 from saber 1. baron adds 1 to the battle destiny total. then he need only draw a 3 and ackbar is dead. harc/overseer cover 9 only. and then what do i do? i have to keep piling everything on the home one but i'm not negotiating from a position of strength. the correct play i think would have been to wait 2-3 more turns and get everything ready at once to stack onto the home one.

but this is reality greg, and in reality home one went up early and he battled, played all power to weapons, dark maneuvers on saber 1, spun for 8, and drew a 5. meaning i had to lose everything he had to lose nothing. on my turn i activate far less because harc seff is dead now, and i play yoda up to space along with like theron nett and just hope he has nothing. if he has nothing i might be able to chip away at his guys, especially because the hound's tooth, by virtue of a rules error on both our parts, is currently sitting unpiloted with tarkin aboard. but he has all power to weapons, dark maneuvers, and short range combo again. i extend the hand and concede the match to him.

like 15 seconds later i kind of regret that but it's too late, and i think about it more and realize there was no possible way i get him below 14. i have no way to get back into space and my ground is not going to be nearly enough. i probably should have played it out just in case something went really wild. honestly though, i'd rather give tom haid more time to relax and if i know i have no chance i don't want to waste his mental energy for no reason.

so that was that run. just as with endor i'm disappointed. i'm happy to have made day 3, but that was yesterday. today all i did was lose a match, and i'd like to win worlds one of these years. but not today. casey has also been knocked out so we go to eat. well, i eat, he can't eat because today is the anniversary of tons of bad stuff happening to the jews. like, even more than usual. we talk about our games and watch the tom vs emil game on our phones. i get a diffferent platter to yesterday but also quite good. spicier. about at the limits of my spice tolerance. start drinking.

continue drinking. i steal beers from all kinds of people intending to get them back but never do. bill i owe you two beers, steve one. probably others but i've lost track. the one i take from our room is some kind of milk stout and mike d'amboise tells me it is known as the best milk stout and i already like milk stouts so this is good news. oh man it is good someone tell me what beer i'm drinking so i can get it again. i play some conquest with mike d'amboise. i learned it the week before from the twiggs at kashyyyk regionals, and it is a fun game. i play as some cool infest guys while mike has some direct damage dudes. i make a super-big misplay early which ends up being costly and i lose my extra hammer-dude, who was like the whole reason to play my deck. then mike steamrolls me with some sick combos.

kristian wants to go to the bar. i want to go to the bar too. the lady is like you can't bring that beer in here. so i step back and chug it and that was not the kind of beer you're supposed to chug. sorry again bill. i think this is where mht somehow manages to get me on the defensive on the debate topic of: should we kill babies? i say no. why the * did i not press him on that one? tom haid wins the championship and i rush over to congratulate him. i am somewhat inebrieated at this point and knock over a water cup and it almost spills on his rebel flight suit and i'm like oh no i wanted to say how happy i was for him but i * it all up and i go back to the bar. we head back up after some more beers and i go to say a better congratulations to tom haid. i think it works better but i screw up my gladiator analogy. i think it's a puff fish, which tries to appear stronger than it really is, but he is the sea snake that tries to pretend to be weak but is in reality a badass. i also thank him so much for his true sportsmanship and he deserves the title. i hear he is going to put his worlds trophy along with barry's mpc trophies up on display at his shop which is very cool.

i get back to the game room and the minnesota crew is kicking it there. i ask if they want to play skull and roses and they're like what's that. oh man i have a treat. but i'm not going to go into too much detail on that. at endor i scaled the everest of skull and roses, i can never climb quite so high again. i get the first point but get knocked out before i can get the second. mht and jake nelson go back and forth for a while, i think mht ends up winning.

jan wants to smoke so i'm in. we go to one of those walkways in the hotel that they haven't bothered to wall in yet so it's still outside. i piss off the balcony, which i love doing. we smoke out of an apple and this is so hard. i think i need a bigger apple. i burn my nose, or the apple, but almost never the herb. jan has to light it for me. i get 2-3 good hits in though and that is more than enough for me. we hear some sex going on which is kind of awkward because like we're right outside the room, and this is what i'm talking about earlier. isn't it weird that the windows all look out on the halls rather than like, outside? jan reports that it is two women in there and i get interested for a second but he also reports that they are ugly. oh well.

we then play secret hitler. secret hitler is like resistance but fun. 10 players. 6 liberals. 3 fascists. 1 hitler. the fascists know who each other are and who hitler is. hitler doesn't know who anyone is. there are special rules and all kinds of interactions it is great. i am a fascist the first game and manage to convince everyone i am a liberal so i get to be the chancellor at a key spot and * over the liberals. bryan mischke the president shoots me right away, but that was definitely worth it from my position, as everyone confirmed to me later. i try to drink some water but i'm totally convinced it is vodka. wait guys is this pitcher full of vodka or water? smell it, what does it smell like? and i smell it and oh * i can't smell anything. dennis tries some and says no dude this is water. here smell this. oh * that's vodka. ok but then why does my water taste like vodka?

game 2 i'm a liberal and i catch nick reisch redhanded as a fascist while i am the president. i get to look at one other person's card and i check out sam and he's a fascist too. so i'm like *, ok then these guys are fascists but of course it's 1v2 and i'm like cassandra here. bryan mischke is the only one who figures out i'm really telling the truth. mht shoots me soon and i'm pretty sure he's a fascist because that's their play. i also think mike richards is a fascist because he keeps on thinking it's ridiculous when i say for sure that nick and sam are fascists and i'm like wtf dude you've got to be a fascist because why are you laughing about that? it's so obvious i declare that no matter what my allegiance actually is, you're just trying to throw shade for no reason. except i made the classic mistake of equating poor play with a bad allegiance. mht was indeed a fascist though, so 3/4 isn't bad. last game i am a fascist again, and i see my two fascist teammates are bryan and jan, with dennis as hitler. dennis asks me at one point, private-like, if i'm a fascist and i'm taken off guard for a second. i forgot for a second that hitler doesn't know who the fascists are, and i'm like, wait maybe i should tell him so he knows. this entire side of the table is fascist so even if someone overhears it's ok. but that thought process is too slow and i just instinctually deny it. which is good because dennis is made chancellor and i'm ready to flip over the cards in victory but he does nothing like that. wait is he not hitler? who is hitler? but it's too late to declare this a misplay, everyone would be so pissed. i argue against making angelo the chancellor, he gets sent, and is hitler. gg. btw the best thing to joke about this game is how angelo would never be allowed back in germany if he were caught playing it. angela merkel if you're reading this i made all this stuff up.

i'm tired so i want to go to bed. mitch wants to say goodbye and i'm like * i forgot about that part. it's not like i hate goodbyes or anything it's just once i've decided i want to sleep everything i have to do before actually sleeping feels so much worse. i get away with just saying goodbye to mitch i think.

monday

every day i thought i didn't have enough underwear for the next day but i keep finding new ones in my bag. until today. nothing fresh; i freeball. drive into nyc with steve and angelo. steve is meeting friends, angelo has a 9pm flight, i have a 2pm bus. we get in at like 115 and i get lunch with angelo. we get a steak and cheddar sandwich that is just delightful. i strongly consider hanging out for the day in nyc: angelo is going to coney island and i've never been there. i eventually decide i should go home though. which is kind of an obstacle because i always forget precisely where port authority is. and also once i get into port authority they moved the ticket office for peter pan like a year ago but i can't remember exactly to where so i look around for a while and finally find it with about two minutes to spare. get to the bus less than a minute before departure. when i get home the mailbox is empty so i assume it worked out
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

The beer you were drinking was Left Hand Milk Stout. It's awesome.

What happened with the hyperspeed = 0 thing you talked about vs Giannetti? What card are you referencing? Why couldn't you move to Death Star?
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

ah, i was talking about moving to attack position. i had thought it made the ship hyperspeed = 0, but it says cannot move. so instead of moving to the death star as i had planned (when i thought the text was hyperspeed = 0) i was stuck at tatooine, where he lateral damaged and beat me up
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

WiseMarsellus wrote:ah, i was talking about moving to attack position. i had thought it made the ship hyperspeed = 0, but it says cannot move. so instead of moving to the death star as i had planned (when i thought the text was hyperspeed = 0) i was stuck at tatooine, where he lateral damaged and beat me up
I totally forgot that MTAP did that.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

quickdraw3457 wrote:The beer you were drinking was Left Hand Milk Stout. It's awesome.

What happened with the hyperspeed = 0 thing you talked about vs Giannetti? What card are you referencing? Why couldn't you move to Death Star?
bah now that you mentioned it, it was justin who told me how great the beer was. details get mixed up sometimes
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image

lsrubin
DS Region: Yavin 4
GEMP Username: lsrubin

Post by lsrubin »

Really great read, as always.

I laughed way too hard at this line:
he can't eat because today is the anniversary of tons of bad stuff happening to the jews. like, even more than usual.
☮ ♥ ⑦
arebelspy wrote:The magic was inside you all along, you just had to believe. <3
kcaton wrote:"Jesus Christ, is that Lenny!?"

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

Awesome read, man! Very enjoyable!
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

i knew i shouldn't have rushed this report. i forgot all about the tentacle story!

so i'm playing tentacle in my deck, obviously, because it is great. and hayes, out of nowhere, asks me if my tentacle is japanese. and say uh because of the porn thing? and he's stunned. NO! wtf! that's where your mind went? except i'm saying you started it dude, why did you ask specifically about my tentacle if not anything else. don't you know about japanese tentacle porn? it's a thing. i start explaining by saying well i haven't actually seen it but my thought is they like penetrate the woman and because there's tentacles you know they can get in all the holes and just then a couple girls walk by and hayes looks at me like nice but yeah what do i care if they heard, it's not like i was going to hook up with them and now have ruined my shot because they heard me talk about tentacle porn.

and i'm pretty sure it's just cartoons. it would have to be animal cruelty to do it, and then i'm thinking, wait where are the tentacles coming from? is there an octopus involved. you know how in mad men there is an octopus fellating a woman in one of bert cooper's paintings? except apparently only men can be fellated, that octopus rather was performing cunnilingus. later justin desai informs me that it's a censorship thing, they do stuff with tentacles because that's not censored whereas presumably the penis would be. anthony bourdain did a segment on it when he went to japan.

hayes then titles his dark list 100% japanese tentacle
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Probably shouldn't have had that conversation with the door to the hotel room wide open either but you live and learn.

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

Playing For $ale with Wirfs and Jan and Jace and Lenny, a theory about the origin of Japanese tentacle porn was hatched. Mind you this was at 3 am Saturday night (Sunday morning). The thought was that a human has 9 orifices; the tentacles account for 8 of the 9 and the mouth-piece of an octopus is left to the main one. The body language necessary to articulate all 9 was reminiscent of an inappropriate rendition of "Head and shoulders, knees and toes." Lenny then says, "No, no, a human could actually take 11," and he made two loose fists to suggest each hand could accommodate an additional "tentacle." Without missing a beat, Jan calmly retorted, "I don't know about 11... but Wirfs could definitely take 10."

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

Awesome TR Tom! A wonderful read and pretty humorous too :)

Despite how awkward your Tentacle is now, I still love that inclusion. Very, very spicy.
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

Xanth wrote:Awesome TR Tom! A wonderful read and pretty humorous too :)

Despite how awkward your Tentacle is now, I still love that inclusion. Very, very spicy.
Agree

Except I'm not sure I want to play tentacle anymore...
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Darth_Link wrote: Agree

Except I'm not sure I want to play tentacle anymore...
Because you want to play the japanese one instead?

lsrubin
GEMP Username: lsrubin

Post by lsrubin »

Hayes wrote:Playing For $ale with Wirfs and Jan and Jace and Lenny, a theory about the origin of Japanese tentacle porn was hatched. Mind you this was at 3 am Saturday night (Sunday morning). The thought was that a human has 9 orifices; the tentacles account for 8 of the 9 and the mouth-piece of an octopus is left to the main one. The body language necessary to articulate all 9 was reminiscent of an inappropriate rendition of "Head and shoulders, knees and toes." Lenny then says, "No, no, a human could actually take 11," and he made two loose fists to suggest each hand could accommodate an additional "tentacle." Without missing a beat, Jan calmly retorted, "I don't know about 11... but Wirfs could definitely take 10."
That exchange was a highlight of the weekend. I laughed so hard...
☮ ♥ ⑦
arebelspy wrote:The magic was inside you all along, you just had to believe. <3
kcaton wrote:"Jesus Christ, is that Lenny!?"

Return to “World Championships 2016 - Aug. 11-15”