CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Re: Unity GEMP Client

Post by CRG »

aermet69 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 1:37 am
This looked fantasitc for streaming.

If I were to play on this interface, a few things would have to sharpen up*:
- I'd like for empty piles to look empty. From the stream, it was really hard to follow if someone had force in a pile.
- Also because the numbers next to the piles looked super wonky on the topmost player. It was hard to figure which number was next to what pile.
- I disliked how excluded characters was still in the battle window - that doesn't make much sense. Take them outside like gemp does today.
- It was also slightly hard to figure exactly where in the game we were (which phase and what turn and whos turn).

Overall it looked fantastic though.

*Mr. Eric asked for feedback, so I'm not concerned with being straight here.
Agree with this. Also having the icons/timer/name/etc. on the sides near their cards, but part of the triangles on the side to give the table some perspective also makes it look cramped into the spaces. One thing I was having trouble with on stream was trying to figure out who was playing which side.

Would also like to see cards deployed on table (starting effect, objective, effects, etc.) be larger.

Member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club
Image Image Image

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

This has actually been with a group of about 10-15 beta testers for the past 1-2 months, who have done a fantastic job of keeping a secret :-D It might be time to open up the beta testing some more so I'll work with Eric and see if we can make that happen.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
multimedia@starwarsccg.org
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

chrknudsen
GEMP Username: chrknudsen

Post by chrknudsen »

Here are some new icons that you can use if you want:

newicons.zip
(21.18 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
newicons.zip
(21.18 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

SmallDarkLines
GEMP Username: Tardis

Post by SmallDarkLines »

From a UX perspective, having the cards in hand number be where the hand is displayed would be better - so all information about hand size is in one place, rather than two.
A counter on things like strike planning, wokling, etc, would be handy, so you can see how many X per game pulls remain without needing to check the card info.

Overall though, this is really, really good, even simple things like not having characters stacked is much easier to use.
New or returning player? Click here for the information you need to know.

Beat me mercilessly on GEMP: Tardis
Say hello at an event:Darren

meaglyn
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by meaglyn »

aermet69 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 1:37 am
This looked fantasitc for streaming.

If I were to play on this interface, a few things would have to sharpen up*:
- I'd like for empty piles to look empty. From the stream, it was really hard to follow if someone had force in a pile.
- Also because the numbers next to the piles looked super wonky on the topmost player. It was hard to figure which number was next to what pile.
- I disliked how excluded characters was still in the battle window - that doesn't make much sense. Take them outside like gemp does today.
- It was also slightly hard to figure exactly where in the game we were (which phase and what turn and whos turn).

Overall it looked fantastic though.

*Mr. Eric asked for feedback, so I'm not concerned with being straight here.
Thirded. I was just going to make most of those comments, especially the first 2.

Looked really nice though!

Does it just work in the browser or is a local client? And if the latter does it work on Linux?

elanz
Starter
Starter

Post by elanz »

Woah Thanks for the awesome feedback and sweet icons -- I'll integrate those tonight.

One of the coolest parts of this project has been designing it with the beta testing community. You can see how far we've come already.

The question I always ask the testers is "What would it take for you to switch from classic gemp to this?", the answers aren't always easy to hear but this is how we make the best possible client. So keep the feedback coming, I'll do my best to keep up :)

elanz
Starter
Starter

Post by elanz »

meaglyn wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 2:02 pm
Does it just work in the browser or is a local client? And if the latter does it work on Linux?
I clumsily answered that on stream, sorry. Since this is a Unity project, I'm usually working with like an "abstract" version of the client and then I target that at whatever I'm deploying to.

For the public beta we'll be deploying the wasm build, which runs in a browser, on pretty much anything with even the most bare-bones integrated gpu.

We can also produce fully native builds for PC, OS X, iOS, Android and also Linux. I don't intend to support that personally just because it's not fun building and distributing all those clients.

Here's the great news though: The instant the public beta is up, I'll be open sourcing this client. That means anybody with Unity skills can build it themselves to whatever they want. So if you want a fully native linux build with fancier shaders or shadows or whatever -- I'm happy to show you how to make that and it's very easy.

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Hotkeys. I want hotkeys. :) That'd make me switch from classic gemp.
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

alphabeta
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: alphabeta; GalenErso

Post by alphabeta »

What would make me switch from classic Gemp?
Ability to focus screen only onto the sites where something is going on. Like, collapsing all non-occupied non battleground sites into a kind of a pile that I could expand if I want would be great to free up space on the board.

Also, if there ever were a possibility to play with the card graphics that I want (only visible for me indeed) that would be awesome. In practice that means that my browser would look for card graphics on a local repository I suppose.
Last edited by alphabeta on December 15th, 2020, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

aermet69 wrote:Hotkeys. I want hotkeys. :) That'd make me switch from classic gemp.
This would be very nice

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

alphabeta wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:08 am
Also, if there ever were a possibility to play with the card graphics that I want (only visible for me indeed) that would be awesome. In practice that means that my browser would look for card graphics on a local repository I suppose.
In a similar vein, ability to turn off my opponent's foils.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

arebelspy wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 2:15 pm
alphabeta wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:08 am
In a similar vein, ability to turn off my opponent's foils.
The entire purpose of foils is to distract your opponent with shiny objects so I hope this doesn't happen.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
multimedia@starwarsccg.org
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

aermet69 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 1:29 am
Hotkeys. I want hotkeys. :) That'd make me switch from classic gemp.
This plus some way to zoom on something like when forfeiting chars from ships. To help eliminate the miss click chances.

Also, if we could not highlight cards that can perform actions that would be great for tournament play.

But great work on it so far. Looks crazy good and especially for a game that is "dead".
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

I'd love to have the option for cards with white border

#teamwhiteborder
Jerry H

Image Image

elanz
Starter
Starter

Post by elanz »

White border cards... that's super easy I didn't know anybody wanted that :)

We do have a few hotkeys already, like the space bar handles most default actions and confirmations -- you can play a lot of a game just hitting spacebar. What other hotkeys would be interesting? We also have more complex passing logic in this client, all configurable of course, up to and including a "pass turn" button that auto-passes all actions until the next turn.

Once we can do a full interview with Dan some of that will be more clear, he really only showed maybe 10% of the UI on stream there. For example a button to just add all the shields to your deck, no more filtering and searching. Or a button that converts your deck to foil, or back to non-foil with a single click :)

quesosauce37
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

swccgarena wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Jerry H

Image Image

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

quesosauce37 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:41 pm
swccgarena wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 7:13 pm

:<3: :<3: :<3:
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Spacebar handling default actions and more sophisticated passing sounds perfect. Love the sound and look of this so far!

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

One thing I noticed immediately upon trying to go back to the announcement thread after using the client is that I can't highlight and copy text in chat.

Also I asked this in the vanilla suggestion threads, but clearing or filtering Stats? If you've been playing gemp for years it ends up so cluttered that it's really not useful anymore.

ideatrack
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by ideatrack »

Love it. Couple of bits of feedback:

Selling prices don't look correct - selling IG88, for example looks to be 7 silver on the new interface and 37 on the old. Must be a display issue.

typing a message to your opponent doesn't seem to send it unless you're on the chat-only view.

Return to “GEMP (Online Play)”