GEMP Stress Test - help the PC Wednesday at 6PM EDT

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

GEMP Stress Test - help the PC Wednesday at 6PM EDT

Post by quickdraw3457 »

With the MPC being moved online, we want to ensure the technical infrastructure on gemp is prepared to handle 20+ games at a time, and if not then to address it in the coming weeks. For this reason, we're hoping to crowdsource a stress test and ask all of you to help us.

Tonight at 6PM EDT, we would like you to all play a game on gemp at the same time. You don't have to play a full game, or a serious game, but please help us to simulate a high number of active tables by opening up or joining a game for at least 10-15 minutes and playing as much as you can/want.

If you want to let your opponent know you aren't necessarily looking for a serious/full game, put "stress test" in the table description.

We will have at least one developer onhand to monitor and restart if necessary (but hopefully not needed!).

I do not recommend playing OCS or league games during this time. If a league game takes longer and goes into the 6:00 EST hour then it runs the risk of being lost in the case of a crash or slowdown.

This is one case where I encourage everyone to use alternate accounts and multiple browsers to increase the number of games.

If the participation in this is test is high, we may try to slowly ramp up the number of games, so please look for my comments (gemp user quickdraw) in the gemp chat for additional instruction.

Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

quickdraw3457

Re: GEMP Stress Test - help the PC Wednesday at 6PM EDT

Post by quickdraw3457 »

T-minus 34 minutes for this! :-D Log on to help us out if you can!
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

Since feedback was asked for:

Played myself on an alt for about 15 minutes, trying to rapidly click through actions. Had 3 or 4 actions where there was momentary lag, but it passed pretty quickly.

Checked the lobby during that time and saw 25 games at peak, seems promising for MPC.

After I killed my game I tried to spectate a handful of games in different tabs; not sure if that adds to any server load, but is something I could see happening on MPC weekend that may not have been present (at least in large numbers) today.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Thanks Ryan! 25 was the peak I saw and there was definitely some lag, even at around 14 games, which makes me wonder if it might be related to users online and not just active games.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

I had serious lag in my game. Starting cards and effects images were not all loading. There was a point on my first turn (turn two) where the entire game just froze for about 5 seconds.

This was when all the games were being initialized. Everything ran fine once the tables were all up.

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

seitaer wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I had serious lag in my game. Starting cards and effects images were not all loading. There was a point on my first turn (turn two) where the entire game just froze for about 5 seconds.

This was when all the games were being initialized. Everything ran fine once the tables were all up.

I had this yesterday, but that was due to deleting my cache rather than the test (obviously) during only like 7 games
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

I definitely had some lag. Sometimes it would take 30 seconds to draw two destiny for a lightsaber swing.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

I was pleasantly surprised how my game went. Maybe some choppiness early, but for the most part business as usual.

Related, should the GEMP timer should be adapted for the online MPC? Be like OCS games (50:00 for each side & extensions disabled)? Or GEMP casual (60:00 each side?).

Either option, I would think, would be preferable for slower players and result more time allowed than a real life game. I know there are points both ways on things that go faster IRL or slower IRL, but overall I think GEMP games aid slower-paced players and grindy decks.
gogolen wrote:ping
Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/swccg
New to Gemp? Check out the Operational Guide & FAQ's here: viewtopic.php?f=964&t=75666
Spoiler
Show
2020 OCS: 58-26 (Q) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55
GEMPC 4: Runner-up ll GEMPC 3: Final 8
2019 Coruscant Regional Winner ll 2019 MPC Consolation Bracket: Runner-up
Image Image

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:21 am
I was pleasantly surprised how my game went. Maybe some choppiness early, but for the most part business as usual.

Related, should the GEMP timer should be adapted for the online MPC? Be like OCS games (50:00 for each side & extensions disabled)? Or GEMP casual (60:00 each side?).

Either option, I would think, would be preferable for slower players and result more time allowed than a real life game. I know there are points both ways on things that go faster IRL or slower IRL, but overall I think GEMP games aid slower-paced players and grindy decks.

OCS over casual, IMO

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

arebelspy wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:31 am
Jnapolit31 wrote:

OCS over casual, IMO
Yeah, that's definitely my leaning, too, but is there another level of + or - time. Like more time allowed (55:00?) due to potential lag issues? Or less time because an argument can be made even with lag and at 45:00 chess clock per side, that's more than a "real-life game" would take.
Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/swccg
New to Gemp? Check out the Operational Guide & FAQ's here: viewtopic.php?f=964&t=75666
Spoiler
Show
2020 OCS: 58-26 (Q) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55
GEMPC 4: Runner-up ll GEMPC 3: Final 8
2019 Coruscant Regional Winner ll 2019 MPC Consolation Bracket: Runner-up
Image Image

Hazardville
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: Jagteq

Post by Hazardville »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:31 am
Jnapolit31 wrote:

OCS over casual, IMO
Yeah, that's definitely my leaning, too, but is there another level of + or - time. Like more time allowed (55:00?) due to potential lag issues? Or less time because an argument can be made even with lag and at 45:00 chess clock per side, that's more than a "real-life game" would take.
I would also advocate OCS, perhaps the 45:00 min but no more. Extensions should definitely be disabled, although disabling the timeout should still be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Justin Miyashiro

sjacree

Post by sjacree »

If the schedule says 4 hours per round, then 60 min per side should be fine. It's not as though we will start earlier if everyone finishes their games early (since those that finish quick will leave and return at the next round's appointed time). Def do disable time extension though.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image

Paul McPherson
LS Region: Naboo
LS Region: Naboo
GEMP Username: PMcPherson

Post by Paul McPherson »

sjacree wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 5:20 am
If the schedule says 4 hours per round, then 60 min per side should be fine. It's not as though we will start earlier if everyone finishes their games early (since those that finish quick will leave and return at the next round's appointed time). Def do disable time extension though.
There is a lag in GEMP everytime that the timer switches between players. If both players take 60 minutes then the game will run to at least 2 hours 15 minutes. I'd leave the timer at 45 minutes per player. I have NEVER ran out of time on Gemp in over 400 games. I have almost died of boredom many times whilst waiting for my opponent to take an action though.
Image Image

World Championship 26th Place - 2019
European Championship 4th Place - 2013
Naboo Regional Winner - 2015, 2018 & 2019
Ralltiir Regional Runner-up - 2019
English National Winner - 2014
Welsh National Winner - 2017 & 2018
German National Runner-up - 2018

Join the Star Wars CCG UK Facebook Page

sjacree

Post by sjacree »

I didn't know about any lag in the timer itself. However, it is almost inconceivable that both players will use all of their time (one usually has more than the other) in both games.
Image Image

Return to “GEMP”