Cam's LTW Report

Cam Solusar

Cam's LTW Report

Post by Cam Solusar »

Hey guys, thank you again for a fun weekend! This was another encouraging SoCal event, as we had ten players show up even with a half dozen or so of our regular players not being able to make it. We also got the contact information of a couple new/returning players prior to the event who saw the information on Facebook, and even though they weren't able to attend we will likely be seeing them at future events.

Pre-Event:

Lately we've been having a lot of our local events at my house due to its relatively convenient location in the very center of our playerbase, but LTW required a store location, so we tried for our usual space at Emerald Knights Comics and Games in Burbank. Unfortunately they were running a hobby game day at their store on the 12th and weren't accepting reservations. Batmouse came in big with a clutch play and got in touch with Game Empire in Pasadena, where their operations manager Chad worked with us to set aside three tables. Tournament space acheived!

Approaching the date of the big event and I have not decided on decks yet. Our local league gives incentives for playing different decks at each event so I'm decided on NOT playing the Diplo and Entanglements that I played at our last event, but I haven't made my mind up on what I would play. After my usualy bout with analysis paralysis I ended up going with the decks that Jimmy Faelens played at Europeans: RST and Invasion. The RST I made a few swaps. Jimmy had recommended Wokling v -> DTF Combo and Launching -> On The Edge. I also swapped a LSJK for a 2nd Nabrun. For the DS our local player Matt Wadden had played Jimmy's deck at TMW and made a few card-swaps, so I took the two lists side by side and made a list that was about halfway between the two. Among the changes Matt made were a 3rd Ghhhk combo and a few additional unique battle droids like the smugger/spy and Jedi deploy +4 droids, as well as a Naboo Blaster Rifle for shooting vehicles. He had also swapped in Drop! for Quick Reflexes, but I decided to keep QR. I played one practice game the week before with the decks and called it good (heh yeah right).

Morning of and I left my place a little after 9. I wanted to give myself plenty of time because I'd never been to the store before, and it's right on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena (where the Rose Parade is held every year) so I figured the parking situation would be sketchy at best. I figured correctly. I later found out that the store's parking was about three times as big as I originally thought, but it was one of those awkward lots that's split into three separate pieces off of a back alley behind other businesses and so I was not sure if any of the parking was actually available or if those other businesses would be anal about people parking behind them. Three spins around the block and two conversations with the store's staff later, I got myself parked and brought my stuff in. I still had a good twenty minutes to burn before 11 and a couple of our guys were running late, so I took a look around the shop. Bought some cool FFG art sleeves with Rey and BB8 on them (I don't like the FFG sleeves for decks but I use them for Shields) and bought some store credit to use as a raffle prize for the attendees. We like buying store credit at new stores we meet at as a thank-you for them accommodating us, and Game Empire did a fantastic job clearing away space for us. To put things in perspective, the three tables we had been set aside were smack dab in the middle of a huge room set up with probably 20 doubled-up tables that were home to a huge sanctioned war game miniatures event that was going on around us.

One of the major bummers of the day was store policy regarding WIFI--they wouldn't share it. Sincere apologies to those of you who tried to tune in to the stream--we tried streaming tethered to Dan's phone, but the bandwidth didn't seem to be enough to maintain the upload. After the abortive attempts to get a stream going, we got started with a total of ten players.

The Main Event:

Game 1 Summary: Invasion vs Adam's TRM Back Door.

Back Door, huh? Good idea. Adam got LSJK w/ Saber and Hand to the Back Door turn 2, which was fairly brutal. I got the 3/2 out with a B2 droid and a blaster and started draining and pinging to match his damage. He got Honor of the Jedi out turn 3 or 4 and he was outpacing me, but I had a gameplan for getting back in it. I got the Throne Room out and flipped with Daultay and a couple battle droids w/ blasters. He dropped Master Qui-Gon w/ Saber to go after them (deploy +4 due ot the unique droid), but I Oh Switch Off’d his swing. He drew relatively high but a blaster Used and a droid to Racks kept me in control of the site. He moved Qui-Gon to the 3/2. Now that I was flipped I capped his drains at 2 and drained for free--he was paying for all of his. He tried to go after the system with HCF, Corran and Obi in Rad VII, but didn’t draw high enough to clear me. I was able to stack the Blockade Flagship with blasters and droids and maintain my presence there. I occupied three BGs for HOTJ and was giving his guys with sabers the runaround on Naboo, so managed to outpace him in the end game to damage him out.

Game 2 Summary: RST vs Ryan’s ISB.

This was a pretty bad one. If there’s any deck that can absorb the beatdowns of Jimmy’s RST it’s ISB. Thanks to IAO all of his guys forfeited for 5 to 7, and they were all really cheap and had good text. He was holding the Raithal and Corulag systems for ping drains of 1 apiece, which also boosted his troopers’ forfeit and destiny, snuck in drains on the ground, and survived 4 separate Jedi Presence beatdowns. Eventually he just out-controlled me and I ran out of cards.

At some point during the event a guy walked by who made do a double-take because he looked exactly like Steve Harpster, down to the glasses, the greying stubbl-y beard and the Seattle Seahawks cap (the exact same one that Harpster wears). He probably couldn’t out-arm-wrestle anyone at the event, but the likeness was enough that I thought it worth mentioning.

Game 3 Summary: Invasion vs Ryan’s WYS.

Another bad one. WYS has a space package that is pretty brutal for Invasion; you don’t really have enough punch to match up to any of his ships save for Pulsar Skate, so you don’t want to flip, and Tey How is out of range of the Kessel drain when you’re hiding at Naboo. I had pretty good control of the ground, but between paying for drains, undercover spies (he was playing the Nightfall version to deploy guys like Boushh and Corran for free to Tatooine) and It’s a Trap! (canceled at least three battles where I was advantaged) he out-controlled me on the board. Eventually he got Falcon and Captain Han to the same system as the Blockade Flagship and blew me out of space. GG.

Game 4 Summary: RST vs Brandon’s AOBS.

Spoilers: I lost this game too. It basically came down to two instances of bad luck (based on calculated risks) that put me in the hole and lost me the damage race. I’ve played against Brandon’s deck before; he played ATMD start which is nice for me, and ran blasters with You’ll Be Dead for extra ping damage. No LSJKs in my hand. Turn 1 I dropped General Solo v and Crix Madine to the Hidden Landing Site. Both Back Door AND Bunker were in my Force Pile so I got no activation out and he got to verify the 45-50ish cards in my deck. He got set up with Xizor’s Palace, Uplink Station and a blaster on Xizor, and moved Xizor and Empy to the Palace and flipped. My turn I downloaded Back Door and used General Solo to upload the Bunker and deployed both. I deployed Endor Chewie with Solo and Crix and moved the three of them to Back Door. Brandon’s turn he pinged me for 1 and 1 and deployed Falleen’s Fist to Coruscant with Baniss aboard. He downloaded Vigo v with Imperial City and moved him to join Xizor and Empy. Sometime during his turn I uploaded Deactivate The Shield Generator with Solo. My turn I deployed Deactivate, moved my guys to the Bunker and drew up. Finally got LSJK into hand. His turn he pinged and drained me for 4 and moved his guys to the Uplink Station. My turn I decided to attempt to blow the Bunker so I can see those two cards and start tracking. I only have one 7 left in my deck, and lots of 6s, but I have no modifiers so my odds of blowing the bunker are pretty low since I have to draw a total of 13. I flip over the top two cards of my deck: 6 and 7. Bunker is blown, I retrieve 8, Brandon ditches his hand and loses 8. You’d think this would be great, but The Shield Is Down only boosts my force activation on the front side of my objective. So I’m now flipped and activating three fewer force per turn, which is pretty bad for me. I had enough force to deploy LSJK so I deployed him to the Back Door with the other guys. So even with my activation lower, I have a path to victory if I get Home One out. I had Obi-Wan v in hand, so I was relatively safe. Brandon’s next turn he could only do his four damage and then draw up. Unfortunately, since my hand has some really important cards in it I opted to top deck after losing two, and one of those two cards was Home One. I had been planning on grabbing it with C&TV but that was no longer an option. The short of it is after getting Obi-Wan out and swapping Home One into hand, I spent the next couple turns fighting off Brandon’s attacks on the Back Door and never had the opportunity to deploy Home One due to my shortage of force. One of these battles he was able to get LSJK off the table so I was taking additional damage from his objective, too. I eventually got Home One out and managed to match his damage, but even with an On The Edge to retrieve 4 I had less life force left than he did. I had one final chance to pull off a Nabrun beatdown on a lone Djas Puhr, but with 5 cards left in my life force I only had two destinies that would allow me to pull off the beatdown. I drew a 6 for Nabrun so there went that chance. He ended up winning with less than 10 cards left in his life force. A well-fought game.

Aftermath:

I ended up at 1-3. Matt went undefeated, and we had a huge middle rank with three 3-1s and three 2-2s. We had a couple guys who had to leave ASAP so Matt helped me calculate SOS while I pulled out a selection of rares and good cards for prize support. I like doing reverse drafts for prize support so that losing players have a chance to get the good cards that the best players probably don’t need any more. There were some good cards including Rebel Artillery, JCC, Trample, etc that were given away. We also raffled off a bunch of Star Wars stuff that I brought, including a poster, a copy of Star Wars Trivial Pursuit, some Star Wars drinking glasses, playing cards, MadLibs, etc. Batmouse won the $20 store credit and immediately got overwhelmed by the purchasing possibilities. He didn’t spend it so will have to post when he finally makes a purchase.

Good Highlights:

10 players! Excellent turnout considering we had a half dozen guys who couldn’t make it.

Two NARPs added to our email list. They didn’t show up to this event, but are in the loop for the future.

Props to Chad at Game Empire for accommodating us on short notice and hooking us up with some nice long tables with some sweet full-length playmats.

Everyone had a lot of fun and walked away with a couple good cards and some fun Star Wars themed swag.

Someone (I think it was Dan?) shouted “I just out-Batmoused Batmouse!” during a game. For those of you who don’t know him, Batmouse is notorious for playing janky decks and cards to great effect, so it’s significant that he was one-upped.

Great Azure Angel AIs from the PC. Also handed out a bunch of great League AIs and Foils.

Fake Harpster. Farpster?

Bad Highlights:

The Parking.

No WIFI available.

The live stream letdown. Sorry guys. :(

Lack of prep on my part. Practice makes perfect guys. Even if you pick good decks, if you don’t practice you WILL lose. ;)

That was fun guys, let’s do it again next year! Check out the pictures I posted on Facebook during the event.

Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Re: Cam's LTW Report

Post by Hutch »

Thanks for the write up; I'll have to make it to sunny south California to play one of these days. BTW, when's the next CamCast (aka holonet transmission)!?!?
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

dx_37 wrote:Thanks for the write up; I'll have to make it to sunny south California to play one of these days. BTW, when's the next CamCast (aka holonet transmission)!?!?
Haha, good question! I lost the block of time every week when I was recording them so I haven't been able to do one in awhile. If people wanted to send in more questions (I've got only one in my queue right now) it would give me a lot more motivation to record. ;)
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

sac89837

Post by sac89837 »

Cam Solusar wrote: Game 2 Summary: RST vs Ryan’s ISB.

This was a pretty bad one. If there’s any deck that can absorb the beatdowns of Jimmy’s RST it’s ISB. Thanks to IAO all of his guys forfeited for 5 to 7, and they were all really cheap and had good text. He was holding the Raithal and Corulag systems for ping drains of 1 apiece, which also boosted his troopers’ forfeit and destiny, snuck in drains on the ground, and survived 4 separate Jedi Presence beatdowns. Eventually he just out-controlled me and I ran out of cards.

At some point during the event a guy walked by who made do a double-take because he looked exactly like Steve Harpster, down to the glasses, the greying stubbl-y beard and the Seattle Seahawks cap (the exact same one that Harpster wears). He probably couldn’t out-arm-wrestle anyone at the event, but the likeness was enough that I thought it worth mentioning.
Having Captain Jonus control a system by himself and drain you all game is pretty much your worse case scenario. I think you hit 40+ power four times and it didn't matter.
Cam Solusar wrote: Game 3 Summary: Invasion vs Ryan’s WYS.

Another bad one. WYS has a space package that is pretty brutal for Invasion; you don’t really have enough punch to match up to any of his ships save for Pulsar Skate, so you don’t want to flip, and Tey How is out of range of the Kessel drain when you’re hiding at Naboo. I had pretty good control of the ground, but between paying for drains, undercover spies (he was playing the Nightfall version to deploy guys like Boushh and Corran for free to Tatooine) and It’s a Trap! (canceled at least three battles where I was advantaged) he out-controlled me on the board. Eventually he got Falcon and Captain Han to the same system as the Blockade Flagship and blew me out of space. GG.
You put a B2 first turn with a rifle at the 3/2 and I sabotaged his rifle twice and controled the drain twice, which again is pretty much the worst case scenario when you spend ten force and 3 cards (Paying 6 for battle plan). Then putting 3 droids and the rifles at the cantina just to sit there with Boushh also really hurt. There is probably a lesson here in occupying both theaters.
On a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

"Bounty Hunters don't do brunch."

Harpster
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: Harpster
GEMP Username: Sharpy

Post by Harpster »

Lol there can be only one Harpster

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Karrdeshark »

Harpster wrote:Lol there can be only one Harpster
Guess you'll have to go Highlander on this imposter then.

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Cool TR , thanks for writing

And good job on growing the local community over there. 10 players with 6 regulars no showing up is quite good!
Gosse Z. - Seattle

Return to “Local Tournament Weekend - Nov. 12-13”