Day 2 - Tournament Software Update

Princeton Clarion Hotel, 3499 Route 1 South
Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
rhendon

Day 2 - Tournament Software Update

Post by rhendon »

So we have the tournament software up and running. It does pairings and we can print them. We have table #s on the tables and players go to their assigned spot. Pairings go up on a wall rather than calling out 30 games. Allows players to be seated much faster.

We have a results page as well where players report their matches and sign. No more filling command cards out by hand. I can also copy/paste the pairings into the forum before the players are seated. Eventually we'll have a nice reserved link players can go to on their phones to.

Wanted to give the players that couldn't show up an idea of what is going on.

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Day 2 - Tournament Software Update

Post by Karrdeshark »

Wow, nice work, tournament team!

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

All the credit goes to hyvee_doughboy, our programmer. He's done a great job with both the creation of the software as well as the bug fixes and modifications that we requested along the way.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

It is awesome that he is willing to help and provide awesome service. Thanks, hyvee_doughboy!
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

RybackStun
GEMP Username: RybackStun

Post by RybackStun »

imrahil327 wrote:All the credit goes to hyvee_doughboy, our programmer. He's done a great job with both the creation of the software as well as the bug fixes and modifications that we requested along the way.
hyvee is great!

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Someone commented that this was the fastest worlds ever run. This software and the td definitely made thinks go really smoothly. I definitely notices that the lag between rounds was cut down drastically.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

It was actually problematic to the point where it was hard to find time to eat/go back to the room between rounds unless you finished your game super fast. People took their time finishing their turns once time was called, but the amount of time from when the last game of each round ended to when the pairings for the following round were posted was never more than 2 minutes.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

I agree. I barely had time to run to the room for a beer in between rounds.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

I was going to bring some ice chests just to solve that problem Steve but I brought the air mattress instead and it wasn't even used thanks to Scott.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

I might be an anomaly but I didn't have a single game go to time. I even had time to run to whole foods for lunch between two of my games.

Robbie said if all goes smoothly with the software, he may be able to start scheduling in a lunch break. I think that's a possibility, especially if we start on time next time (10am instead of 10:30-10:45). It seemed like the time between rounds was great.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

We still finished the day around 9. The event took 11 hours, despite the software, so idk if a lunch break is really the best idea.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

spideyguy0 wrote:We still finished the day around 9. The event took 11 hours, despite the software, so idk if a lunch break is really the best idea.
So we started 45 minutes late, which can be majorly improved upon. I've got some ideas to shorten that. The first and 2nd round took a longer time to start as people were out of the room. Partly do to the room being so hot and just people not expecting things to run as quickly. If you noticed the time between rounds got a lot shorter as the day went on. So that should shave some more time off of it. I think if on top of the pairings we post when the round started, people can figure out when to be back to the room if they want to run out real fast. Also further increasing the amount of time at the end.

I think I could shave about an hour off event time. Doing that and we end around 7:30 without a quick lunch break. We could do a 30 minute one, which with SoS people could concede and get extra time if they wanted.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

In the past hasn't the last game of Worlds typically ended closer to 10/10:30? Ending at around 9 is really good comparatively.

hyvee_doughboy

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

im glad to hear that the software went over well. The tournament team gets a lot of credit for testing things do me and lots of feedback. Also, Lots of the major time savers were Rob's ideas (some that I initially thought were silly, but intimately paid off huge!). I'm going to keep working with Rob and team to make this even better. If others have more ideas, feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

Return to “World Championships 2016 - Aug. 11-15”