SPOILERS: STAR WARS: EPISODE 9: THE RISE OF SKYWALKERS [SPOILERS]

hanotsri

Re: SPOILERS: STAR WARS: EPISODE 9: THE RISE OF SKYWALKERS [SPOILERS]

Post by hanotsri »

Um, I am not sure Star Wars Explained's review is a good representation of positive.

Spoiler Man
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Spoiler Man »

hanotsri wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 10:07 am
Um, I am not sure Star Wars Explained's review is a good representation of positive.
Well, he is a massive TLJ fanboy, so it comes off as somewhat negative here, and he is generally 99.9% upbeat about Star Wars. I think if you take away Palpatine he'd be completely positive. Shrug. Just my take.

My review and beer review:

https://thebeerthrillers.home.blog/2019 ... rew-works/

MrPurple
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by MrPurple »

Gergall wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 7:33 pm
Movie reaction from a friend of mine on Facebook who hates 7 and 8:
As a staunch hater of the new Disney Star Wars Movies I will say that not only was the new Rise of Skywalker an exceptionally good Star Wars Movie but it made Episodes VII and VIII actually tolerable movies.

I was very surprised and impressed as I went into it thinking I was going to hate it and walk out dissapointed as I had with Episodes VII and VIII. I watched lost when it was on and learned very quickly that JJ Abrams has no idea how to finish stories that he has started. Not only did he finish the story of this 3 movie Arc but of the entire 9 movie arc somewhat masterfully.
Just posting that here because it's an unusual position. I know lots of people that hate either 7 or 8. But if someone hates both of those, I'm surprised that 9 would bring them back on board.
I was never a big fan of Episode 7 and Episode 8 is ranked last in my rankings (below the holiday special even).... But after watching Episode 9 I went back and watched Episode 7 yesterday and had a new appreciation for the movie. It might be my second favorite movie in Star Wars now. Knowing how Rey is tied into the story, seeing how Finn and Poe started out, knowing how it all shakes out with Kylo, etc.. All great stuff. Episode 9 did bring me back!

Episode 9 isn't a great film, but it's a great Star Wars movie. It's totally made for fanboys and I might be the biggest one ever. Best review I saw about the film:

"If you liked Episode 8 you're probably not gonna like this movie. If you liked Episode 7, you might be stoked."

If you want a perfect Star Wars movie, throw in Episode 5. If you want a non-stop fan-serviced action ride, watch Episode 9 :-D
Matt Sokol

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Absolute garbage.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

MrPurple

Post by MrPurple »

shawnd1984 wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 12:00 pm
Absolute garbage.
That's a bummer :(

I am really curious, is Episode 8 one your favorites?

I am curious if those that liked/loved Episode 8 hated this movie and those that disliked/hated Episode 8 enjoyed this movie.
Matt Sokol

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

MrPurple wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 12:46 pm
shawnd1984 wrote:
Absolute garbage.

I am curious if those that liked/loved Episode 8 hated this movie and those that disliked/hated Episode 8 enjoyed this movie.
Nah... I actively dislike 7-9

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

shawnd1984 wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 12:53 pm
MrPurple wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 12:46 pm
shawnd1984 wrote:
Absolute garbage.

Nah... I actively dislike 7-9
I mean, if you disliked both TFA and TLJ, especially if you disliked them a lot, it's no surprise that you didn't like this one.

Personally, I was a TLJ person(though TFA grew on me over time). I felt that this film, and the trilogy as a whole, benefited from JJ Abrams' and Rian Johnson's contrasting visions. Poe's doubt about whether there were people out there probably wouldn't have had the weight it did had the Resistance not been abandoned on Crete. Rey being Palpatine's daughter feels a little like a retcon, but Kylo's explanation made sense. Rose was sidelined, but in a way where she was still around and could be used in future stories.

Had JJ been in charge the whole time, TLJ probably wouldn't have taken the risks it did, meaning RoS would have been even closer to a RoTJ remake, and the trilogy wouldn't feel as special.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Post by mingtown »

Corran wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 1:14 pm
Poe's doubt about whether there were people out there probably wouldn't have had the weight it did had the Resistance not been abandoned on Crete.
Spoiler
Show
The massive armada Lando brought was just nonsense. Not a single ship came to help Leia when she told them they were about to die (didn't even bother to answer the phone) and like every ship in the galaxy comes to help Lando just because he asked? I audibly groaned when Lando showed up at the battle. The movie had already jumped several sharks at this point.
Corran wrote:
Rey being Palpatine's daughter feels a little like a retcon, but Kylo's explanation made sense.
Spoiler
Show
This was a clear ret-con. Kylo told Rey her parents were nobodies, which may have been true I guess, depending on who Palpatine actually got it on with, but he followed it up with 'you come from nothing, you're nothing'. I guess the case could be made that he didn't know until Palpatine actually told him, but TLJ made a commitment to this (remember the weird cave scene?) and to do a 180 now is just pulling the rug out.
The discontinuity between 8 and 9 is just as bad as it was between 7 and 8. JJ spends way too much time and effort trying to "fix" TLJ in this movie.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

mingtown wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 1:23 pm
Corran wrote:
Poe's doubt about whether there were people out there probably wouldn't have had the weight it did had the Resistance not been abandoned on Crete.
Spoiler
Show
The massive armada Lando brought was just nonsense. Not a single ship came to help Leia when she told them they were about to die (didn't even bother to answer the phone) and like every ship in the galaxy comes to help Lando just because he asked? I audibly groaned when Lando showed up at the battle. The movie had already jumped several sharks at this point.
My take on this is basically that in TLJ, the First Order was on the rise, still conquering planets, and the Resistance put out a call for help to their allies. In RoS The First Order had taken over and people, even Poe's friend who was mostly out for herself, were ready to resist. Then, Lando reached out not just to military allies, but everyone in the galaxy. The armada that showed up wasn't The Republic's Cherished Fleet or another formal Navy. It was just people who wanted to help.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.

mingtown

Post by mingtown »

Corran wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 1:41 pm
mingtown wrote:
Corran wrote:
Spoiler
Show
My take on this is basically that in TLJ, the First Order was on the rise, still conquering planets, and the Resistance put out a call for help to their allies. In RoS The First Order had taken over and people, even Poe's friend who was mostly out for herself, were ready to resist. Then, Lando reached out not just to military allies, but everyone in the galaxy. The armada that showed up wasn't The Republic's Cherished Fleet or another formal Navy. It was just people who wanted to help.
Awful lot of military capital starships in a rag-tag fleet of regular folks...

I mean we're not talking about Dunkirk here. This is a proper fleet of warships.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

mingtown wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 1:45 pm
Corran wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 1:41 pm
mingtown wrote:
Corran wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Awful lot of military capital starships in a rag-tag fleet of regular folks...

I mean we're not talking about Dunkirk here. This is a proper fleet of warships.
It's a Galaxy that's been perpetually at war for the last 100 years. Lots of military surplus. Most of those ships are pre-battle of Yavin. Anyway, they specifically say "It's not a navy. It's just people."

*edit Dunkirk definitely came to mind here for me as well.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Can't wait for the Mr. Plinkett review.

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

MrPurple wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
Absolute garbage.

I loved TLJ. It's still my favorite SW movie. I left this movie just feeling nothing. I don't really care to see it again. I don't know if I actively hate this movie, it had some fine moments, but it most certainly did not feel like a star wars movie. JJ Abrams has taken another beloved IP off the rails. RIP

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

mingtown wrote:
Corran wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
In Resistance Reborn it's implied that many of the allies hadn received the message because former Imperial / Rebel / Republic / Resistance leaders were being round up by the First Order and that the communication was somewhat intercepted.

That doesn't fix the problem of having soooo many ships in the film, but it's not liked they simply ignored her.

mingtown

Post by mingtown »

hanotsri wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 2:06 pm
Spoiler
Show
In Resistance Reborn it's implied that many of the allies hadn received the message because former Imperial / Rebel / Republic / Resistance leaders were being round up by the First Order and that the communication was somewhat intercepted.
This is one of my biggest complaints about these movies. Information like this should be presented in the movie itself.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

mingtown wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 2:10 pm
hanotsri wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 2:06 pm
Spoiler
Show
This is one of my biggest complaints about these movies. Information like this should be presented in the movie itself.
You're certainly not the only one who thinks this. These movies have to cover a lot, and if every little thing was explained in as much detail as people like, we'd end up with the politics of The Phantom Menace. Clearly there's a time jump between TLJ and RoS and the circumstances of this call for help are different. If you want to know more about what happened with Lando recruiting ships, that's a story for elsewhere.

Also, as for the scale of the armada, the galaxy is big, really really really big. Even if each system in the republic sent one ship, that would more than cover the size of the armada, and we're not just talking about ships from the republic. We're talking about people from outer rim backwater worlds, smugglers, and all sorts of corners of the galaxy.

It's fine if it didn't work for you thematically, but it's not like it doesn't make sense within the context of the story. I mean as soon as Lando said he was going to go get help, I was like "Cool, lando and his reinforcements are going to show up just in time like the elves in Helm's Deep."

mingtown

Post by mingtown »

Corran wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 2:41 pm
Also, as for the scale of the armada, the galaxy is big, really really really big. Even if each system in the republic sent one ship, that would more than cover the size of the armada, and we're not just talking about ships from the republic. We're talking about people from outer rim backwater worlds, smugglers, and all sorts of corners of the galaxy.
Yeah and Lando had what, a couple of hours/days to round them up? I don't want to keep using Rogue One as the gold standard since that movie had its own problems too, but you saw how hard it was to build and maintain a proper alliance. They couldn't even agree on what to do when faced with a weapon of immense magnitude, which is a totally realistic and relatable reaction, much less coordinate a massive counterattack at a planet that only 2 people in the universe know how to get to. Suspension of disbelief can only stretch so far.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ

Platypus
GEMP Username: platy

Post by Platypus »

Cam Solusar wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 2:02 pm
MrPurple wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
Absolute garbage.

I loved TLJ. It's still my favorite SW movie. I left this movie just feeling nothing. I don't really care to see it again. I don't know if I actively hate this movie, it had some fine moments, but it most certainly did not feel like a star wars movie. JJ Abrams has taken another beloved IP off the rails. RIP

Cam, how did 8 feel more like a Star Wars movie than this?
BSG 13-6 AGOT 2-0 AH 1-0 I also played SWCCG :)

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

mingtown wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 3:15 pm
Corran wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 2:41 pm
Yeah and Lando had what, a couple of hours/days to round them up? I don't want to keep using Rogue One as the gold standard since that movie had its own problems too, but you saw how hard it was to build and maintain a proper alliance. They couldn't even agree on what to do when faced with a weapon of immense magnitude, which is a totally realistic and relatable reaction, much less coordinate a massive counterattack at a planet that only 2 people in the universe know how to get to. Suspension of disbelief can only stretch so far.
Well I definitely agree with you that Rogue One was a better film.

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

Platypus wrote:
Cam Solusar wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 2:02 pm
MrPurple wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
Absolute garbage.

Cam, how did 8 feel more like a Star Wars movie than this?
Primarily the cinematography. JJ Abrams has a very distinctive style, particularly for the battles, that never felt very star wars-like to me. Rian Johnson nailed that feeling IMO, and crafted a story that I found very compelling. Part of the appeal of star wars for me had always been there way they appeared on the screen. TLJ, rogue one and solo all nailed the look and feel in a way that make TFA and TROS feel like odd men out by comparison. Particularly the space battles.

Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

Return to “Off Topic”